Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 553052 times)

Offline DTA

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #6930 on: July 12, 2023, 04:47:44 PM »
Anyone into the God Won’t Give Up album? I’m not into the lyrics at all but the music is pop perfection and has touches of his first two pop solo albums. I can easily overlook the words since the music is outstanding. Been doing a bit of a deep dive into his non-prog stuff lately and it’s (mostly) all so good.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #6931 on: July 12, 2023, 06:19:05 PM »
Been a while since I’ve listened to it but I really enjoy that one.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #6932 on: July 13, 2023, 12:30:23 AM »
I would like to hear more of Neal's non-prog stuff. I have his first two solo records and Life & Times, all three are very enjoyable.

The rest is hard to come by, used records are sold for ridiculous prices, that radiant shop is not a valid choice for me and most of his music is not on spotify, so sadly no chance to check it out.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Mladen

« Reply #6933 on: July 13, 2023, 02:06:52 AM »
Those albums are surprisingly good, especially the debut and Life and times. I don't think Neal is too trilled about the idea of doing another album like that, since Life and times didn't sell that well. That's probably why he opted for another concept record.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #6934 on: July 13, 2023, 05:42:27 AM »
Life and Times is fantastic. Really the only "Pop" album that fell flat for me was Songs from November. Just didn't dig it at all

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6935 on: July 13, 2023, 06:39:43 AM »
Correct this 14th is official release day.

Well I just got my shipment notification email not long ago, but I doubt it'll get to my home from TN in under two days, but I'm in no rush to listen to it. I really dug I&D so I'm interested in seeing how those songs translated live in Hamburg.

-Marc.

I don't know how much I can say, but I've heard it.  I&D is one of my favorite albums of all time; it's stuck with me like no new record since... maybe Marbles by Marillion, so it's a high bar.  I saw the show twice (opening night, and the night after) and this set is a good companion piece. Anyone on the fence about Eric Gillette ought to give it a spin. 

Online faizoff

« Reply #6936 on: July 13, 2023, 06:47:45 AM »
How difficult is this performance from the morsefest release? I remember that being great as well.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6937 on: July 13, 2023, 07:34:59 AM »
How difficult is this performance from the morsefest release? I remember that being great as well.

Difficult? I'd imagine Morsefest was more challenging considering all the added bells and whistles they usually throw in for those shows.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online faizoff

« Reply #6938 on: July 13, 2023, 08:06:37 AM »
Gah I meant different.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6939 on: July 13, 2023, 08:08:08 AM »
About the new single

https://youtu.be/KtghcX7DRDo

At this point in the story, Joseph is in a terrible prison having been betrayed by those closest to him.  The prison guards realize that he is trustworthy and see this as an opportunity to let Joseph look after everything, while they take it easy!

(Appearing in the video are vocalists Wil Morse, Mark Pogue, Matt Smith, Chris Riley, Andre Madatian.  Drums - Andrew Delph, Bass - Chris Riley, Guitar - Andre Madatian)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6940 on: July 13, 2023, 08:41:38 AM »

Different enough. I mean, the setlist is 98% the same, it's the presentation of I&D, so the frameworks are obviously the same, but the live set is the fifth to last show of the European tour, after a full tour of America.  They play around a little bit. The jams in The Way It Had To Be, Not Afraid Pt. 2 and Beyond The Years are different.  There's some fun in there (won't give it away), and there's some... I suspect editing for commercial/legal reasons (a part of one song was changed/omitted). 

I particularly love this version of Beyond The Years.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #6941 on: July 13, 2023, 08:48:33 AM »
Another new single from Neal's new album.  Meh. I'll check out the album when it comes out but not sure I'm in the mood for a musical lol.

https://youtu.be/KtghcX7DRDo

I actually liked this. Also, probably being dense/ignorant as usual, but is Neal not singing on this song at all?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Online faizoff

« Reply #6943 on: July 13, 2023, 12:58:27 PM »

Different enough. I mean, the setlist is 98% the same, it's the presentation of I&D, so the frameworks are obviously the same, but the live set is the fifth to last show of the European tour, after a full tour of America.  They play around a little bit. The jams in The Way It Had To Be, Not Afraid Pt. 2 and Beyond The Years are different.  There's some fun in there (won't give it away), and there's some... I suspect editing for commercial/legal reasons (a part of one song was changed/omitted). 

That's great, should be a fun listen then, too bad there's no video release of the show.

Stadler's review of the live release:

https://lotsofmuzik.com/nmb-an-evening-of-innocence-and-danger-live-in-hamburg-review-by-bill-feltovic/

Awesome, will check it out.

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #6944 on: July 13, 2023, 01:58:08 PM »

Woah woah woah, what song was this and what part was removed?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6945 on: July 13, 2023, 02:17:21 PM »

So... The Way It Had To Be segued into Breathe (Reprise) at Morsefest! and at the two shows I saw (NY and Boston).  According to Setlist.fm, it happened at 28 out of the 30 shows on the American and European tours, INCLUDING Hamburg.  Now, I get it, a lot of times the setlists are just "copied" over.   But there was no Floyd on the audio-only version of the Hamburg show I heard and there SOUNDED like an edit of sorts as well.

So I can only conclude that a) setlist.fm was wrong, and it was never played, or b) setlist was right and it was played and subsequently edited from the audio before release. 

(If you recall, Mike had trouble securing rights to Comfortably Numb for the Sons Of Apollo video, though it did appear on the audio.)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6946 on: July 13, 2023, 09:18:01 PM »
Got the shipping email from Radiant regarding the 3 CD Hamburg Innocence & Danger performance. Had forgotten I had ordered it.

I forgot to order it. Time to fix that.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6947 on: July 13, 2023, 09:19:50 PM »
Anyone into the God Won’t Give Up album? I’m not into the lyrics at all but the music is pop perfection and has touches of his first two pop solo albums. I can easily overlook the words since the music is outstanding. Been doing a bit of a deep dive into his non-prog stuff lately and it’s (mostly) all so good.

Have it. Can't say I listen to it much.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6948 on: July 13, 2023, 09:23:07 PM »

So... The Way It Had To Be segued into Breathe (Reprise) at Morsefest! and at the two shows I saw (NY and Boston).  According to Setlist.fm, it happened at 28 out of the 30 shows on the American and European tours, INCLUDING Hamburg.  Now, I get it, a lot of times the setlists are just "copied" over.   But there was no Floyd on the audio-only version of the Hamburg show I heard and there SOUNDED like an edit of sorts as well.

So I can only conclude that a) setlist.fm was wrong, and it was never played, or b) setlist was right and it was played and subsequently edited from the audio before release. 

(If you recall, Mike had trouble securing rights to Comfortably Numb for the Sons Of Apollo video, though it did appear on the audio.)

They played that in Philly too. It's a shame it's on the cutting room floor.

Offline 425

« Reply #6949 on: July 13, 2023, 09:50:01 PM »

I was probably going to get this at some point anyway, as I've become something of an NMB completist, but this one line seals it. Beyond the Years really came to life for me on the MF21 performance, so if this version is even better, I have to hear it.

Nice review, btw!
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #6950 on: July 14, 2023, 02:09:42 AM »

Ah yeah, you're right! Same at the London show I was at. That's such a shame as it fit really well. Just had a listen and I think the edit is noticeable because the guitar comes out of nowhere and sounds like it may be in a slightly different key? I probably wouldn't have noticed it had I not seen this post though.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #6951 on: July 14, 2023, 01:21:49 PM »

Ah yeah, you're right! Same at the London show I was at. That's such a shame as it fit really well. Just had a listen and I think the edit is noticeable because the guitar comes out of nowhere and sounds like it may be in a slightly different key? I probably wouldn't have noticed it had I not seen this post though.

I noticed this as well. My guess is that MP probably thought this was a good idea as they already have the MF21 version with the Floyd piece, this way they can have an NMB only version of the song.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline 425

« Reply #6952 on: July 14, 2023, 01:54:23 PM »
I noticed this as well. My guess is that MP probably thought this was a good idea as they already have the MF21 version with the Floyd piece, this way they can have an NMB only version of the song.

I doubt that; I would assume like Stadler that it has to do with copyright permissions. MP strikes me as the kind of person who would rather release a complete document of a show if possible.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online faizoff

« Reply #6953 on: July 14, 2023, 06:29:27 PM »
Got a signed copy of the live CD today, might try to listen to it during the weekend. I kinda wished there was a booklet but oh well.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #6954 on: July 14, 2023, 06:30:58 PM »
Ayy me too

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6955 on: July 15, 2023, 03:29:05 PM »

I doubt that; I would assume like Stadler that it has to do with copyright permissions. MP strikes me as the kind of person who would rather release a complete document of a show if possible.

I have no idea if Mike would want a "NMB only" version, but if he did, I have to believe they'd play it that way.  Or do something wicked prog like play them both (I'm not really kidding).   

I think it's far more likely it was an edit for commercial/business reasons.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6956 on: July 20, 2023, 09:34:17 AM »
Randy George is trying to kickstart some funding for a solo album. The clips he posted sound really good! He has a ways to go so I figured I'd post it here in case anyone is interested. I just found out about it today.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cunwsgh5xtmxc9e/AACLSlnw6Eeii3q97mNS9cada?dl=0&preview=snippets.wav

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/randygeorgebass/randy-george-beyond-words-solo-album

Looks like it worked out because I'm on my 2nd listen of the album now! You can order the album now on CD or Digital and listen to it right now!

https://randygeorgebass.bandcamp.com/album/beyond-words

Not bad! I haven't heard Randy's first two solo albums so I cannot compare them but I really like this one so far!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6957 on: July 20, 2023, 10:03:05 AM »
Randy George is trying to kickstart some funding for a solo album. The clips he posted sound really good! He has a ways to go so I figured I'd post it here in case anyone is interested. I just found out about it today.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cunwsgh5xtmxc9e/AACLSlnw6Eeii3q97mNS9cada?dl=0&preview=snippets.wav

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/randygeorgebass/randy-george-beyond-words-solo-album

Looks like it worked out because I'm on my 2nd listen of the album now! You can order the album now on CD or Digital and listen to it right now!

Not bad! I haven't heard Randy's first two solo albums so I cannot compare them but I really like this one so far!

-Marc.

I could only stand two songs before I had to switch it off.
It gave me the same feeling as if I was waiting in a doctor's office corridor.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #6958 on: July 20, 2023, 11:43:18 AM »
I felt basically the same - I was very unimpressed in my first listen. It reminds me of some of Phil Keaggy's collab work with other CCM folks - the type of thing I usually throw into an instrumentals playlist for coding background music.

That said, the last 3 tracks surprised me - they're lite fusion jazz and they're pretty good. They actually make the rest of the album better in comparison because I hear now what he was going for as more fusiony rather than just generic lite instrumental rock.

I've listened to it 5-6 times over the past few days and it's grown on me quite a bit.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 12:31:06 PM by Cocopjojo »

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #6959 on: July 20, 2023, 12:40:30 PM »
In fact, can anyone recommend any albums similar in sound to track 8, The Good World, especially the sax work around ~3:00? Reminds me very much of Another Day from I&W!

I am really digging these last three tracks.

Offline HOF

« Reply #6960 on: July 20, 2023, 03:13:11 PM »
I just checked this out, and it sounds really good to me. The only track I didn’t care for is the one with vocals. Orherwise it’s really well-played and even somewhat catchy as instrumental music goes.

Also, not sure which track you are talking about either the sax. Maybe track 7 and not 8? That one sounds a bit like King Crimson to me.

Edit: I hear the sax you’re talking about in The Good World now.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6961 on: July 20, 2023, 03:16:45 PM »
I just checked this out, and it sounds really good to me. The only track I didn’t care for is the one with vocals. Orherwise it’s really well-played and even somewhat catchy as instrumental music goes.

Also, not sure which track you are talking about either the sax. Maybe track 7 and not 8? That one sounds a bit like King Crimson to me.

Track 7 doesn't have sax - that's a bassoon you're hearing. Track 9 has the alto sax.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #6962 on: July 20, 2023, 03:32:30 PM »

Track 7 doesn't have sax - that's a bassoon you're hearing. Track 9 has the alto sax.

-Marc.

Well, now I feel like a buffoon.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #6963 on: July 20, 2023, 05:07:09 PM »

Edit: I hear the sax you’re talking about in The Good World now.
Oh my bad. Yeah, typo - I meant Track 9, The Good World.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6964 on: July 20, 2023, 09:12:29 PM »
I listened to one song off of Randy's new solo album with a vocalist I've never heard before. I didn't like his voice at all and I didn't make it even half way into the song.
I'll give the rest of the album a chance though since I'm a big fan of Randy George.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP