Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 553492 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #6825 on: June 16, 2023, 06:10:07 PM »
I was a Neal Morse solo fanatic for a while but kinda stopped with Lifeline (which I liked more than others IIRC).

What are some of your guys' favorite songs post-Lifeline?

Solo Neal or any song from any of Neal's bands/projects?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #6826 on: June 16, 2023, 06:16:52 PM »
All of Similitude of a Dream

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #6827 on: June 16, 2023, 06:55:04 PM »
I was a Neal Morse solo fanatic for a while but kinda stopped with Lifeline (which I liked more than others IIRC).

Solo Neal, like Testimony, ?, One, Lifeline, Sola Scriptura, etc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6828 on: June 16, 2023, 07:27:52 PM »

Post-Lifeline?

Well his next immediate solo album, Momentum felt like a big swing back from overtly religious themes to a slightly more secular, SB-ish feel, with an album layout similar to V, closing with a ginormous epic at the end. And pretty much every NMB album has been some of his best work so far, but that comes with collaborating with the writing of his band mates, particularly Bill Hubauer and Eric Gillette, who have taken on more and more writing duties as the band has progressed.

Outside of his solo and NMB stuff, the Transatlantic albums from 2009's The Whirlwind have been hit or miss for most, but The Whirlwind is almost universally praised by fans, with the two follow-ups offering great moments, but feel like retreads of their earlier efforts with a new polish.

Flying Colors has been one of my favorite bands of his, featuring some of his best work in a band setting this side of Spock's Beard. If you like proggier rock (and not necessarily PROG rock in the 70s sense), definitely check them out. If you want something more singer-songwriter-y, definitely check out the debut D'Virgilio Morse Jennings album, featuring Neal, former SB bandmate Nick D'Virgilio, and HAKEN frontman Ross Jennings, in a trio outfit that sees them doing some more acoustic, folkier type rock that feels fresh for Nick and Ross, but right at home for Neal, who has had his own run of singer-songwriter albums.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #6829 on: June 16, 2023, 07:41:44 PM »

I'm a sucker for the long epics, so I'd go with World Without End, Beyond the Years, and Alive Again.  All IMO rival the best of Neal's epics, or at least come close.  Actually I probably put So Many Roads and The Great Nothing slightly above these three but they're all outstanding.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6830 on: June 16, 2023, 08:35:57 PM »

That could take a while to list. :lol

Lifeline was 2008, so since then...

Transatlantic: The Wind Blew Them All Away, On the Prowl, A Man Can Feel, Rose Covered Glasses, Evermore, Is It Really Happening?, The Darkness in the Light, The World We Used to Know, Owl Howl

Neal Morse (solo): Mercy Street, Time Changer, Time Has Come Today, The Truth Will Set You Free, Crossing Over/Mercy Street Reprise, Seeds of Gold, Never Change

Neal Morse Band: The Call, Waterfall, Alive Again, City of Destruction, Makes No Sense, Draw the Line, The Ways of a Fool, So Far Gone, Breath of Angels, Shortcut to Salvation, The Man in the Iron Cage, Sloth, Freedom Song, The Mask, Confrontation, Broken Sky/Long Day Reprise, To the River, Venture in Black, The Great Despair, Bird on a Wire, Your Place in the Sun, The Way It Had to Be, Not Afraid Part 2, Beyond the Years

Flying Colors: Blue Ocean, Kayla, The Storm, Love Is What I'm Waiting For, Everything Changes, Better Than Walking Away, Infinite Fire, Mask Machine, The Fury of My Love, More, Guardian, Last Train Home, Geronimo, Love Letter

And I am probably missing a bunch of others.

Offline 425

« Reply #6831 on: June 17, 2023, 05:41:37 AM »

Others are giving good long lists, so I’ll try to do a brief one (albeit with a lot of long songs):

The Whirlwind
Kaleidoscope
The Call
Alive Again
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #6832 on: June 18, 2023, 12:18:26 PM »
Thanks all! I fudged up the quoting code in my last reply, just his solo Neal recommendations. Thanks all for the recs!

I love The Whirlwind, I listened to it so much back in the day. Flying Colors was pretty cool when it came out as well.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6833 on: June 19, 2023, 03:35:53 AM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6834 on: June 19, 2023, 06:01:38 AM »
Looks like it's up here as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuAt4vMNQOM

I will have to give is a listen later when I am more awake. :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6835 on: June 19, 2023, 06:27:05 AM »
Monday June 20th - Big Reveal and Pre-orders with Special Giveaways
Hey there!

Life is full of surprises! We just found out that the record label is delaying the announcement and pre-order date by one day. So, everything is now happening on Tuesday!

Carry on!

So be sure to check in to www.nealmorse.com

See you soon,

Neal

...whoops. I guess not everyone got the memo if the single still dropped. :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6836 on: June 19, 2023, 07:24:23 AM »
:rollin

I enjoyed the single, it sounds a lot less like a musical than JCTE. I'm excited about this one :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6837 on: June 19, 2023, 08:24:35 AM »
Pre-orders open NOW for Neal Morse's new solo prog rock concept album, The Dreamer - Joseph: Part One  at https://nealmorse.com/.../neal-morse-the-dreamer-joseph.../ which is released on August 11th 2023.
Neal Morse will sign the first 200 pre-orders and 5 pre-orders chosen at random will receive a unique handwritten copy of the lyrics to “Like A Wall”, the first single, written and signed by Neal.
Video link to Like A Wall - https://youtu.be/3H3MIhCAUBg
On the heels of the “Jesus Christ the Exorcist” Rock Opera, Neal Morse’s latest prog epic aptly entitled “The Dreamer – Joseph: Part One” tells the classic story of Joseph (the one with the coat of many colors!) using the medium of progressive rock as only he can!
The story unfolds with Morse employing amazing vocalists like Ted Leonard, Matt Smith and Jake Livgren to sing in the roles of Joseph’s brothers, as they grow dark with jealousy and throw him in the pit.
As well as casting the characters in the story, Neal also sought out the finest musicians for the musical “roles”. So you’ll hear the soaring guitar playing of Steve Morse and Eric Gillette among others, as this familiar story comes alive through amazing music that will thrill all fans of progressive rock. The album however has everything a fan would look for: from long epics and odd time signatures, to very melodic and song-oriented tracks.
“The Dreamer – Joseph: Part One” is everything you would hope for from a new Neal Morse progressive rock album and more. And this is just Part 1, ending with Joseph in prison for a crime he didn’t commit. “Part 2” will follow in 2024!
“I have to say I am extremely pleased with the way this album came out!” explains Neal Morse.  “As with many creative endeavors, there are times along the way where you start to wonder where you’re at and if it will come together in the end. I am so happy to report that this one really has come together and exceeded my expectations! The guest vocalists are fantastic,and the string arrangements are extraordinary! Jerry Guidroz did an exceptional job on the mix, and I am so excited to share this album with all of you! Now on to part two…”

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6838 on: June 19, 2023, 08:27:42 AM »
Neal Morse - "Like A Wall" - Official Music Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H3MIhCAUBg

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6839 on: June 19, 2023, 08:55:48 AM »
With part 2 coming next year, I am sure the plan is already for next year's Morsefest to be part 1 of this night 1 and part 2 of this night 2. 

I'd be lying if I said I didn't hate seeing Neal use two years on this, while NMB is seemingly put on the backburner, especially since who knows how many years Neal has left of making music given his age, but he has to follow his heart, so I get it. 

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #6840 on: June 19, 2023, 09:03:44 AM »
I see JCTE often referred to as a musical and I think even Neal has said it was one.

I'm curious, what makes that record a musical and not a concept album. And what makes, for example, The Similitude Of A Dream a  concept album and not a musical? Can't just be the fact, that JCTE features more singers?

And when I look at "real" musicals like Phantom Of The Opera, West Side Story, Moulin Rouge, Dance Of The Vampires, Starlight Express (those are the ones that I know) and others, they also seem very different from JCTE.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6841 on: June 19, 2023, 09:07:47 AM »
"THE DREAMER - JOSEPH: PART ONE" tracklist:

1. Overture
2. Prologue/Before the World Was
3. A Million Miles Away
4. Burns Like a Wheel
5. Liar, Liar
6. The Pit
7. Like a Wall
8. Gold Dust City
9. Slave Boy
10. Out of Sight, Out of Mind
11. Wait On You
12. I Will Wait on the Lord
13. Overture Reprise
14. Ultraviolet Dreams
15. Heaven in Charge of Hell (Eat ‘Em and Smile)
16. Why Have You Forsaken Me?

LINE-UP:
Eric Gillette
Gabe Klein
Neal Morse
Sam Hunter
Gideon Klein
Steve Morse
Andre Madatian
Mark Leniger
Jim Hoke

CAST:
Joseph - Neal Morse
Judah - Ted Leonard
Reuben - Matt Smith
Potiphar’s Wife - Talon David
Slave Driver - Jake Livgren
Simeon - Wil Morse
Jacob - Mark Pogue
Warden and Prison Guards - Matt Smith, Mark Pogue, Wil Morse, Gabe Klein, Chris Riley

The single isn't bad, kind of what I expected TBH. I figured I'd order it anyway just to see how it turns out. For less than $16 on Radiant, it's not a bad price considering most new albums these days run over $20 or $25.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6842 on: June 19, 2023, 09:23:54 AM »
I will wait and see how much it it is digitally from iTunes or amazon (Radiant...ick).   If it is too much, I may take the "try before I buy" approach as the overly religious nature of it and that cast of characters (I recognize a few of the names from his past super-religious albums) isn't exactly tickling my fancy. 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6843 on: June 19, 2023, 09:24:11 AM »
With part 2 coming next year, I am sure the plan is already for next year's Morsefest to be part 1 of this night 1 and part 2 of this night 2. 

I'd be lying if I said I didn't hate seeing Neal use two years on this, while NMB is seemingly put on the backburner, especially since who knows how many years Neal has left of making music given his age, but he has to follow his heart, so I get it.

Part 2 is coming out in November.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #6844 on: June 19, 2023, 09:26:34 AM »
Yeah not bothering with getting the CD for this. Sticking with digital.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6845 on: June 19, 2023, 09:27:43 AM »

November of 2024?  The thing you posted earlier (with no link) said  “Part 2” will follow in 2024.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6846 on: June 19, 2023, 09:30:08 AM »
The single was cool, but short.  I've been feeling NM burnout in recent years, but I'll pick this up, and will more likely than not enjoy it.  The question is only whether it will have any staying power, and only time will tell on that front.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6847 on: June 19, 2023, 09:55:06 AM »

November of 2024?  The thing you posted earlier (with no link) said  “Part 2” will follow in 2024.

I didn't read the whole press release earlier today.

The original plan was to release pt2 by the end of this year. I see now that the plan has changed.

Posted on NM fb group

« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 10:35:36 AM by MinistroRaven »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6848 on: June 19, 2023, 12:05:33 PM »
Am I supposed to be able to read that? :lol :lol

Good to know about the releases, though.  :tup :tup

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #6849 on: June 19, 2023, 12:07:42 PM »
I didn't really like JC The Exorcist, too much musical-like, too much choir, too much Jesus and Eric Gillette on drums (he can drum, but it's just not enough for a double concept album, here you can see how good Portnoy is). So I wasn't (and still am) too keen on another album of this nature. The song at least isn't musical and has a catchy chorus. Drums sound like someone trying to sound like Portnoy. I think a part (?) of the overture can be heard at the beginning of the song; see the beginning of the video (and on streaming platforms the song is only 2:38 min long).
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #6850 on: June 19, 2023, 12:08:20 PM »

You can click on it and zoom ;)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #6851 on: June 19, 2023, 01:43:07 PM »
the single is...sigh.....neal morse alright.

i have such burnout, lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6852 on: June 19, 2023, 03:14:12 PM »

Sounds challenging. :lol

i have such burnout, lol

It was catchy, but those lyrics...oof.  (and not in a religious way)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #6853 on: June 19, 2023, 06:11:14 PM »
That was, for sure, a Neal Morse song under 3 minutes.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #6854 on: June 19, 2023, 07:27:46 PM »

Sounds challenging. :lol

i have such burnout, lol

It was catchy, but those lyrics...oof.  (and not in a religious way)

yea i kinda Feel like neal in the past few years maybe getting to the other side of that creative hill.  if people enjoy this more power to em but he's not hitting it with me anymore sadly.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #6855 on: June 19, 2023, 07:30:03 PM »
and BTW i'm talking Neal solo.  i think he needs the NMB to balance him.  cause Neal solo lately is not it.

Offline HOF

« Reply #6856 on: June 19, 2023, 07:48:28 PM »
I kind of liked it. More organic sounding than NMB, nice organ on the intro, catchy chorus, and Neal’s voice sounds good. I kind of don’t like how much Eric sounds like MP on the drums, which is funny since he also sounds like JP on guitar.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6857 on: June 19, 2023, 08:07:48 PM »

yea i kinda Feel like neal in the past few years maybe getting to the other side of that creative hill.  if people enjoy this more power to em but he's not hitting it with me anymore sadly.

and BTW i'm talking Neal solo.  i think he needs the NMB to balance him.  cause Neal solo lately is not it.

I can't go as far as you did yet, but it has been over a decade since he did a solo album that wowed me (T2 in 2011), so I do think he works better at this point in a collaboration.  The last NMB album, which came out less than two years ago, was pretty awesome.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #6858 on: June 19, 2023, 08:15:14 PM »
I'm going to pass on this. Also in the 'burnt out on Neal's cowd. My willingness to ignore the Jesus stuff has waned as well.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #6859 on: June 19, 2023, 08:42:42 PM »
I'm going to pass on this. Also in the 'burnt out on Neal's cowd. My willingness to ignore the Jesus stuff has waned as well.

i had a high tolerance too but it's waning.  i find it astounding he can't write about ANYTHING else........like nearly ever, lol