Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 552981 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #4025 on: August 02, 2019, 01:14:22 PM »
 :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4026 on: August 02, 2019, 02:14:43 PM »
I can't help but wonder why Neal didn't take the starring role, or at least a more major supporting role on JCTE.  Has he talked about that anywhere?  I haven't been following very closely.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4027 on: August 02, 2019, 09:25:04 PM »
I don't think he said specifically why he did it that way, or I missed it if he did, but my theory, which is based on nothing, is that he is trying to preserve his voice by singing less.  His voice sounded a bit hoarse last year at Morsefest at times, which I think he attributed at the time to doing too much in rehearsals in the days leading up to the shows, but I don't think he can go all-out every night, all night like he used to, and he is already singing less lead in his main band (Neal Morse Band).  Neal is close to 60 now and is likely doing every little thing he can to save his voice for as long as he can.  Granted, it's not like the Exorcist is an album for which he is going to tour, so he would have only had to sing it for the album and then at night 2 of Morsefest last year, but I like that he did it this way. Don't get me wrong, Neal is one of my favorite singers ever, but the fact that he takes a supporting role vocally on this album makes it feel a lot less samey than his work sometimes does, and when he does take a lead vocal, it feels pretty special. 

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4028 on: August 10, 2019, 06:26:16 AM »
My order has arrived! Actually wasn't too bad, took just a bit more than a month which is perfectly acceptable for me.

Looking forward to finally listen to something from Neal.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4029 on: August 10, 2019, 06:31:14 AM »
Excellent haul! :tup :tup

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4030 on: August 10, 2019, 09:48:02 AM »
I too got my haul after a month, can't complain I guess since I got the cds of Morsefest 2014 and Live in Tilburg on the cheap side.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4031 on: August 10, 2019, 10:36:58 AM »
That looks beautiful.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4032 on: August 16, 2019, 02:11:22 PM »
Those attending MorseFest this year:

BRING A BIG SUITCASE!
Neal wants to close the Radiant storage unit and will be selling CDs, DVDs, and Blu-rays at INSANE prices! This way there's NO SHIPPING!

Source: http://web-extract.constantcontact.com/v1/social_annotation?permalink_uri=31FuOKL&image_url

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4033 on: August 16, 2019, 05:56:43 PM »
I'll be there and will be prepared for some great deals. :tup :tup

I'd love to see them making the new Flying Colors CD to those attending, but I guess the fear there is someone would upload it to the internet and leak it, so there is probably no chance of that.  Oh well.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4034 on: August 18, 2019, 07:21:50 AM »
Wondering if Kev or anyone who's been to Morsefest before can weigh in on this for me, what do people wear to the shows? I had just planned on bringing my normal concert attire, but I hadn't thought about the fact that if I'm not mistaken these shows are in a church. As someone who was always in proper pants and a dress shirt when I went to church as a kid, I just don't want to show up and have everybody else there dressed a little bit more nicely than me :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4035 on: August 18, 2019, 07:32:51 AM »
Normal concert attire works, although I would avoid any graphic t-shirts or one with anything vulgar.  Not that they are going to kick you out (or maybe they will :lol), but as a matter of respect, I would keep it clean.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4036 on: August 18, 2019, 07:49:58 AM »
Thanks Kev. And did you ever get tickets in the mail? I just realized that I don't think I even got a confirmation email, but I do see the tickets in my order history at the Radiant Records website.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4037 on: August 18, 2019, 07:54:31 AM »
Thanks Kev. And did you ever get tickets in the mail? I just realized that I don't think I even got a confirmation email, but I do see the tickets in my order history at the Radiant Records website.

Radiant would like me to assure you that you'll have your tickets within two weeks of the event having took place.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4038 on: August 18, 2019, 07:56:37 AM »
The confirmation email is basically your ticket (print it out and bring it), but if you didn't get it, I suspect you can print out the order confirmation from Radiant's site, but I would double check with them first.  Since they take years to reply to emails, I would simply go to the FB page for Neal's fans (cannot remember exactly what it is called since I bailed on FB months ago) and ask. Someone will inevitably chime in and @ the lady who runs it, which will hopefully get a quick answer.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4039 on: August 18, 2019, 05:10:43 PM »
The confirmation email is basically your ticket (print it out and bring it), but if you didn't get it, I suspect you can print out the order confirmation from Radiant's site, but I would double check with them first.  Since they take years to reply to emails, I would simply go to the FB page for Neal's fans (cannot remember exactly what it is called since I bailed on FB months ago) and ask. Someone will inevitably chime in and @ the lady who runs it, which will hopefully get a quick answer.

Amy Pippin it's the one he must aim the message for

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4040 on: August 29, 2019, 03:14:15 PM »
Morsefest!!!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4042 on: August 29, 2019, 08:29:09 PM »
No Morsefest for me now this year...and I am bummed about it.  >:( >:(

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4043 on: August 30, 2019, 02:31:05 AM »
Those are some ridiculously low prices. I'm stunned.  :omg:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4044 on: August 30, 2019, 08:38:32 PM »
Still a little bummed I couldn't make it to Morsefest this weekend, but at least my brother's girlfriend was able to get off work at the last minute and go with him, so the ticket was still used.  :tup :tup

My brother texted me a few times already and said the place is jam packed this year, and someone said this is the best-selling Morsefest yet. After the smaller crowd last year (compared to 2017), that is great to hear.  And they are auctioning off something for Morsefest 2020, so we already know that next year is a go!  :coolio :hat

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4045 on: August 30, 2019, 09:07:13 PM »
Still a little bummed I couldn't make it to Morsefest this weekend, but at least my brother's girlfriend was able to get off work at the last minute and go with him, so the ticket was still used.  :tup :tup

My brother texted me a few times already and said the place is jam packed this year, and someone said this is the best-selling Morsefest yet. After the smaller crowd last year (compared to 2017), that is great to hear.  And they are auctioning off something for Morsefest 2020, so we already know that next year is a go!  :coolio :hat

Good to hear the ticket got used, and also great to hear that the fest is packed. I was worried that Flying Colors might not have had the kind of pull to get in the numbers, but I guess fans were really excited for it. Can't wait to read about what FC plays and what the fans think of it!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4046 on: August 30, 2019, 09:23:28 PM »

Good to read about this, because, I know from a relieable source that Neal had plans to put Morsefest into hiatus.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4047 on: August 30, 2019, 09:49:18 PM »

Good to hear the ticket got used, and also great to hear that the fest is packed. I was worried that Flying Colors might not have had the kind of pull to get in the numbers, but I guess fans were really excited for it. Can't wait to read about what FC plays and what the fans think of it!

It seems weird to see Flying Colors get a big crowd tonight and for the Voices of the Beard last year to have gotten a much smaller crowd, but Spock's Beard, for whatever reason, doesn't draw crowds, even with Neal diehards, apparently.  Granted, I think getting The Great Adventure on Saturday night over (at the time, the unknown) Exorcist is making a difference, but it's still surprising to me.

Good to read about this, because, I know from a relieable source that Neal had plans to put Morsefest into hiatus.

I would believe it. I am sure he has realized that once tomorrow night is over, he will have played all of his concept albums at Morsefest, except for The Whirlwind, and I suspect getting Roine and Pete both for Morsefest is not easy, and he doesn't want to repeat himself at Morsefest, so he is probably running out of ideas (which have to be grand) to feature at a future Morsefest.  What this all means is that the Neal Morse Band needs to get to work on a new album for next year. :hat

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4048 on: August 30, 2019, 09:53:20 PM »
The Storm was just played as the first encore, followed by Mask Machine. Sounds like Cosmic Symphony closed the regular set.

My brother doesn't remember the order, but texted that Blue Ocean, Kayla, Forever in a Daze, Peaceful Harbor, A Place in Your World, Infinite Fire, The Fury of My Love and 3 new ones have all been played as well.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4049 on: August 30, 2019, 09:55:03 PM »

It seems weird to see Flying Colors get a big crowd tonight and for the Voices of the Beard last year to have gotten a much smaller crowd, but Spock's Beard, for whatever reason, doesn't draw crowds, even with Neal diehards, apparently.  Granted, I think getting The Great Adventure on Saturday night over (at the time, the unknown) Exorcist is making a difference, but it's still surprising to me.

I would believe it. I am sure he has realized that once tomorrow night is over, he will have played all of his concept albums at Morsefest, except for The Whirlwind, and I suspect getting Roine and Pete both for Morsefest is not easy, and he doesn't want to repeat himself at Morsefest, so he is probably running out of ideas (which have to be grand) to feature at a future Morsefest.  What this all means is that the Neal Morse Band needs to get to work on a new album for next year. :hat

Well, a friend of mine it's at MF and he was having lunch with NM yesterday and NM said he is already writing a new album, what IDK is, if it is a solo or a NMB thing, will found out later when I speak with my friend about this year MF experience

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4050 on: August 30, 2019, 10:02:29 PM »

I suppose the huge cast list for the Exorcist musical wasn't as much of a draw as Flying Colors and playing TGA. Maybe the supporting acts also helped clench the deal for some on the fence? Either way, I'm glad it wasn't another slump year for Morsefest. I think maybe seeing the crowds filling up this weekend helped Neal change his mind about not doing a Morsefest next year?

And speaking of Morsefest 2020, if he DOES want to do a Transatlantic show, he would need to probably plan it out with Pete and Roine as soon as possible! Pete seems like his schedule with Marillion is always planned out a year ahead of time, while Roine seems to have a rather shaky schedule with regards of who he tours with and when he'll be busy, but of the four of them, he's probably the least busiest, I feel.

Either way, they totally could play The Whirlwind at Morsefest next year, being a solid decade since it was all last played live by the band. They have enough material to play BOTH nights if they wanted, too, and if they somehow manage to release one more album before then, they could totally do both nights.

If Transatlantic is out of the question for Morsefest 2020, I have NO idea what they could do, unless Neal is already preparing for the next NMB album (which feels quite too soon, IMO - TGA *just* came out less than 8 months ago).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4051 on: August 30, 2019, 10:08:23 PM »

Well, a friend of mine it's at MF and he was having lunch with NM yesterday and NM said he is already writing a new album, what IDK is, if it is a solo or a NMB thing, will found out later when I speak with my friend about this year MF experience

I can't believe Neal is writing another new album already...wait, I can believe it. :biggrin: :lol

I suppose the huge cast list for the Exorcist musical wasn't as much of a draw as Flying Colors and playing TGA. Maybe the supporting acts also helped clench the deal for some on the fence? Either way, I'm glad it wasn't another slump year for Morsefest. I think maybe seeing the crowds filling up this weekend helped Neal change his mind about not doing a Morsefest next year?

And speaking of Morsefest 2020, if he DOES want to do a Transatlantic show, he would need to probably plan it out with Pete and Roine as soon as possible! Pete seems like his schedule with Marillion is always planned out a year ahead of time, while Roine seems to have a rather shaky schedule with regards of who he tours with and when he'll be busy, but of the four of them, he's probably the least busiest, I feel.

Either way, they totally could play The Whirlwind at Morsefest next year, being a solid decade since it was all last played live by the band. They have enough material to play BOTH nights if they wanted, too, and if they somehow manage to release one more album before then, they could totally do both nights.

If Transatlantic is out of the question for Morsefest 2020, I have NO idea what they could do, unless Neal is already preparing for the next NMB album (which feels quite too soon, IMO - TGA *just* came out less than 8 months ago).

While I have no doubt that Transatlantic would sell a lot of tickets, I would be surprised to see Neal go all TA both nights and cut the Neal Morse Band out of the loop.  Even if Portnoy is unavailable due to Sons of Apollo or something else, I can't see Neal doing that to Eric, Bill and Randy, his other regular bandmates.

Offline DTA

« Reply #4052 on: August 31, 2019, 04:58:32 AM »
is there a reason he hasn’t done Lifeline and Momentum in full at MF? I know they’re not his most popular albums but I think fans would still love seeing them just for completists sake.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4053 on: August 31, 2019, 06:19:51 AM »
Yeah, that’s not surprise. What intrigues me it’s to know if it is a solo record or a “ collective work by a group of hard dedicated musicians giving their all leaving families behind to satisfy fans”

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4054 on: August 31, 2019, 06:35:35 AM »
is there a reason he hasn’t done Lifeline and Momentum in full at MF? I know they’re not his most popular albums but I think fans would still love seeing them just for completists sake.

My guess is his intention is to only do his concept albums from start to finish.  He hasn't done (in full) his self-titled album, It's Not Too Late, Songs from November, The Grand Experiment or Life + Times at Morsefest either, so I think the trend is clear.  He has done the A Whole Nother Trip suite, Lifeline (the song), So Many Roads, The Call, etc. from those records, so he clearly is trying to hit the long ones from the albums he doesn't plan to play in full, and hopefully both World Without End and Alive Again get a Morsefest slot at some point.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4055 on: August 31, 2019, 06:48:50 AM »
Kind of funny to go back and read the below thread I did just 3 1/2 years ago (of my favorite songs from Neal's solo career and the first NMB album).

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=46216.msg2115057#msg2115057

If I had to do an updated list now, not only would the order likely be pretty different in many regards, but quite a few of those songs wouldn't even make the top 50 now.  Not sure anything from Life + Times or Exorcist would make it, but Similitude would probably get at least 15 entries, and The Great Adventure would likely get 3-4.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4056 on: August 31, 2019, 06:56:57 AM »
Last night setlist: TINY FONT IN CASE YOU DON'T WANT BE SPOILED

Blue Ocean
Place In my World
More
Kayla
You are not alone
forever in a day
Fury Of My Love
Crawl
Peaceful Harbor
Infinite Fire
Cosmic Symphony
The Storm
Mask Machine
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 07:32:57 AM by MinistroRaven »

Offline DTA

« Reply #4057 on: August 31, 2019, 07:00:02 AM »

My guess is his intention is to only do his concept albums from start to finish.  He hasn't done (in full) his self-titled album, It's Not Too Late, Songs from November, The Grand Experiment or Life + Times at Morsefest either, so I think the trend is clear.  He has done the A Whole Nother Trip suite, Lifeline (the song), So Many Roads, The Call, etc. from those records, so he clearly is trying to hit the long ones from the albums he doesn't plan to play in full, and hopefully both World Without End and Alive Again get a Morsefest slot at some point.

I guess you’re right. It never even occurred to me that he only did concept albums but I guess Lifeline and Momentum are the only albums with true standalone songs. I still think it’d be cool to do them just to hit the unplayed songs from the albums but with him doing So Many Roads and the title track already, over half the entire Lifeline album has already been done so it’d be redundant. I think a set of his non-prog albums would be awesome but I don’t think his fans would travel to see that unfortunately.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4058 on: August 31, 2019, 08:37:02 AM »
Flying Colors last night was awesome. Peaceful Harbor and Cosmic Symphony with the string quartet and backup singers in particular were just ChefsKiss.gif I also grabbed Momentum, Cover to Cover, The Grand Experiment, Songs for November, and Testimony 2 Live in LA (3CD/2DVD) for a combined $8. Can't wait for TGA tonight
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4059 on: August 31, 2019, 11:36:55 AM »
Morsefest!!!

Not really complaining because I've gotten years and years of enjoyment from the items on that table, but I see hundreds of dollars sitting there.   It's a shame music is devalued that much.