Poll

Coolest album name?

When Dream & Day Unite
6 (2.9%)
Images & Words
25 (12.3%)
Awake
10 (4.9%)
A Change of Seasons (EP, but let's just treat it as an album)
4 (2%)
Falling into Infinity
20 (9.8%)
Mertopolis Pt. II: Scenes From a Memory
8 (3.9%)
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
50 (24.5%)
Train of Thought
15 (7.4%)
Octavarium
39 (19.1%)
Systematic Chaos
15 (7.4%)
Black Clouds & Silver Linings
8 (3.9%)
A Dramatic Turn of Events
4 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 198

Author Topic: What is the DT Album with the Coolest Name?  (Read 5330 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: What is the DT Album with the Coolest Name?
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2012, 05:29:53 AM »
IAW is probably the best. The others range from lame to horrible. As Adami correctly pointed out, ADTOE takes the cake, and even goes beyond DT as one of the most horrible album titles in rock history.

I mostly agree there, although I don't consider IaW one of their better ones. It's the least bad of the "____ & ______" group, but that's not saying much.

Of the "_______ And/& ______" titles, I'd rank them as such:
When Dream And Day Unite
Images And Words
Black Clouds & Silver Linings

I like the debut's title most because it contains a verb, an action that connects the two halves of the title more so than just the simple "and" conjunction connecting two noun-sets. IAW is over BC&SL because it's more streamlined and not as wordy/clunky because of it's lack of adjectives.

Now how about the "__________ of _________" titles? :lol Hmmmm....
A Change Of Seasons
Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
Train Of Thought
A Dramatic Turn Of Events

Again, ironically, I'd rank them chronologically. The first two are pretty good, with ACOS being short and simple, and it's pretty intriguing to me. The last two are a bit more cliche and are derived from common phrases that one might hear in everyday life - I don't normally hear people use "a change of seasons" in ordinary conversation. When I hear that phrase, chances are they're referring to Dream Theater. It's pretty unique to them, and even when I Google the phrase without quotations, seven out of the first page of 10 results are all DT-related. If I Google TOT, only 3 results are DT, althought for ADTOE, the entire page of results is DT-related, but the title just feels so cliche (and I suppose not many people have used it in any industry for it to be associated with anything BUT DT's latest album).

And between this post and my previous one in this thread, the only titles I haven't discussed have been FII and SC, and while being less-than-loved albums, the titles aren't that bad, actually. FII is a bit cheesy, but it has a good flow to the words and syllabic sounds, especially with all the "I"-sounds throughout the title. SC has a bit of a palindromic effect in syllables in that it starts and ends with an "S" sound and has two hard-"C" sounds in the middle, with some "A" sounds between them. Also, the ironic pairing of the words is clever, and not cheesy or cliche in my eyes. It's a pairing of words I never would have thought to put together for an album title.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2012, 06:06:48 AM »
Best: When dream and day unite  (most poetic title)
Worst: A dramatic turn of events   (too easily linked to the departure of MP, but DT denies this meaning)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2012, 09:23:01 AM »
Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence

Easily.  Not even a contest.  Reasons:

1.  Brilliant wordplay that works on so many levels if you understand the "six degrees" reference.
2.  Sets the "unsettling" tone and feeling that whatever the album is about, all is not well.
3.  Reinforcing the broadway/theater connection the band has often suggested.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2012, 09:48:32 AM »
1.  Brilliant wordplay that works on so many levels if you understand the "six degrees" reference.
This is where it falls completely apart for me.  I'm judging how cool the name is on just the name, not within the context of the album.

But hey, different strokes.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2012, 09:51:50 AM »
Yeah, but aside from even the album references, it's very cool wordplay on the pop culture reference.  And, IMO, a lot of the better (or at least more memorable) albums titles are from bands that incorporate some reference that people are already familiar with to evoke a certain response or mental image.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2012, 09:54:25 AM »
*shrugs*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2012, 09:55:38 AM »
*hugs*

*briefly contemplates learning in for the surprise wet willie, but the reflects on how nice it is to be alive, and thinks better of the decision*

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2012, 09:59:52 AM »

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2012, 03:35:25 PM »
Normally I'd be torn between WDADU (AWESOME), Octavarium (So. Many. Cool stunts. With the freakin' name. All over), FII (AWESOME), and SFAM (legitimately kickass name).

But right now, I'll go with ADTOE. Because it's the biggest troll by the band ever ("lolol you think it's a reference to MP but no it's a common lyrical theme!").

Offline jsem

« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2012, 04:43:32 PM »
8vm or I&W

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2012, 06:26:22 PM »
Why do people like Octavarium so much?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
Why do people like Octavarium so much?
I have no clue.

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2012, 10:44:20 PM »
I was under the impression that people hated Octavarium >_>

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2012, 10:57:18 PM »
The first 3 albums have the best names.  WDADU is awesome, I&W is very appealing to me for some reason, and Awake is simple but really neat. I ended up going with Awake  :hat
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2012, 11:32:32 PM »
Octavarium fo sho. It's a very smooth-sounding name and fits perfectly with the art and album concept. WDADU is a tad pretentious, but kinda cool. Images and Words is very simple and I really like it, along with Awake. SFAM is pretty cool, although the subtitle takes away from it (I know it's necessary, but it sounds better without "Metropolis Part Two" in front of it).

I don't understand all this praise for the name 6DOIT. It's a great album, but I can't stand the title. It seems really obnoxious and overdone to me. A much simpler name could've been thought of. I really hate that title... It seems extremely pretentious. But not every name can be a winner.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2012, 08:03:06 AM »
I don't understand all this praise for the name 6DOIT. It's a great album, but I can't stand the title. It seems really obnoxious and overdone to me. A much simpler name could've been thought of. I really hate that title... It seems extremely pretentious. But not every name can be a winner.

They're a prog metal band.  Of course they're going to sound pretentious at times.  Some counld construe any form of equating a rock band with theater to be pretentious, but DT have done it since day one.  (I mean, back in '92, how many metal bands were doing a curtain call style bow at the end of their shows?)  But naming your album after a clever wordplay on a broadway show title is hardly the greatest sin of pretension a band can be guilty of.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2012, 09:48:57 AM »
A Change Of Seasons. CMON. That sounds very badass.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2012, 09:51:45 AM »
A Change Of Seasons. CMON. That sounds very badass.

Always makes me think of this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcWfpPgeAP4

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2012, 12:06:20 PM »
Images and Words.  Simple.  To the point.  Completely represents the band name.  Very cool!
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2012, 12:28:51 PM »
This is where it falls completely apart for me.  I'm judging how cool the name is on just the name, not within the context of the album.

But hey, different strokes.

Right here. Just how I feel. I find 6DOIT pretty pompous (the title, that is).

Offline ArchVile

« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2012, 06:04:38 PM »
i love Systematic chaos.... sounds very paradoxical and poetic
octavariom too but sc i love  :metal :hat

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2012, 11:25:36 PM »
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline farnie

• Schizophrenic Psycho
  • Cunning, baffling, powerful!
« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2012, 09:56:52 PM »
Systematic Chaos is pretty cool. I mean, what is systematic in any chaos? Pretty cool eh?
Death is not the end, but only a transition

Offline farnie

• Schizophrenic Psycho
  • Cunning, baffling, powerful!
« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2012, 09:59:49 PM »
Oops sorry for the double post  :yarr
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 02:33:41 AM by farnie »
Death is not the end, but only a transition

Offline Ruba

« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2012, 03:11:58 AM »
Yes, it is.

PS: You can modify your posts from a button, which says "Modify", so you don't have to post again, if something was left out of your previous post  :).

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2012, 02:50:28 PM »
A Change of Seasons, because winter is pretty cool.