Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 513958 times)

Offline AtmosphericV

• wilderness
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #1645 on: September 23, 2010, 06:45:57 PM »
Allright, I just hope that none of you "loses the respect" for MP just because of some harmless tweets.
Everyone knows its Butters!

Offline Stoneyman

« Reply #1646 on: September 23, 2010, 09:07:09 PM »
I love Mp and DT but I will say that I get a little irratated when I keep hearing MP say "I didnt want to leave, but..."

Feels like to me that he wants to blame DT more than totally embrace HIS decision.  I just get an edgy vibe from it.  If he means to say "I want to stay but those DT guys are making me quit," why doesnt he say it all the time?  He seems like a crappy diplomat who insinuates everything, but tries to say it nicely.  Seems like he wants to take some of the blame off of himself???

I am okay with MP's decision and wish him the best.

Also, I dont know if it is because I cant stand A7X or not, but if I see one more tweet saying sh1t like "Me, Johnny Stink-nuts and Zakky got tats, played putt putt, and shared a milk shake" I am gonna puke.  We get it MP, your are having fun playing with the kids.  I just dont think many of the DT fans are ready for that yet.  He even mentioned in one of his tweets...Too soon!  Yep!

Mp also needs to realize that many DT fans are really hurt and angry with him over this.  Many fans take things personal.  IMO MP needs to lay off the tweets for a while.  That may help him too.

It will absolutely kill MP to not be a part of the new era of DT.  And again, once the band moves forward with new dude, I expect things to not be so cordial anymore.

Offline Sixtease

« Reply #1647 on: September 24, 2010, 01:52:44 AM »
life would be good again if I broke up with that chick named DTF.
Bosk, you are scaring me.  :-(

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1648 on: September 24, 2010, 04:10:29 AM »

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #1649 on: September 24, 2010, 04:21:29 AM »
Interesting analogy in light of the fact that a lot of posts of late have led to a thought crossing my mind every so often of, "life would be good again if I broke up with that chick named DTF."
I hope you haven't been secretly filling in for another site that lost its moderator.  I mean, the TransImperial forum last year was fun and all, but I'm beginning to think all these side-project sites are burning you out.  You may be set financially, but the other mods need their DTF income to feed and clothe themselves.  I hope all this doesn't go where I feel like it's going!!!

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1650 on: September 24, 2010, 04:59:10 AM »
Interesting analogy in light of the fact that a lot of posts of late have led to a thought crossing my mind every so often of, "life would be good again if I broke up with that chick named DTF."
I hope you haven't been secretly filling in for another site that lost its moderator.  I mean, the TransImperial forum last year was fun and all, but I'm beginning to think all these side-project sites are burning you out.  You may be set financially, but the other mods need their DTF income to feed and clothe themselves.  I hope all this doesn't go where I feel like it's going!!!

:lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1651 on: September 24, 2010, 05:04:33 AM »
I hope you haven't been secretly filling in for another site that lost its moderator.  I mean, the TransImperial forum last year was fun and all, but I'm beginning to think all these side-project sites are burning you out.  You may be set financially, but the other mods need their DTF income to feed and clothe themselves.  I hope all this doesn't go where I feel like it's going!!!

Whoa, strange deja vu (nuggitz)
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1652 on: September 24, 2010, 05:18:09 AM »
The other mods get DTF income?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1653 on: September 24, 2010, 05:22:02 AM »
I hope you haven't been secretly filling in for another site that lost its moderator.  I mean, the TransImperial forum last year was fun and all, but I'm beginning to think all these side-project sites are burning you out.  You may be set financially, but the other mods need their DTF income to feed and clothe themselves.  I hope all this doesn't go where I feel like it's going!!!

You haven't been receiving your checks?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Sixtease

« Reply #1654 on: September 24, 2010, 06:58:21 AM »
Guys, I know you have a lot of work and you're sacrificing yourself, your lives, neglect your kids and wives, all for DTF posters and lurkers to be happy... I'll help you out, I'll voluntarily join the mods.

... umm, how much exactly does the monthly income make?

:-)

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #1655 on: September 24, 2010, 09:08:38 AM »
One Dream Theater

lol j/k
Guys, I know you have a lot of work and you're sacrificing yourself, your lives, neglect your kids and wives, all for DTF posters and lurkers to be happy... I'll help you out, I'll voluntarily join the mods.

You could say it is never enough

:neverusethis:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1656 on: September 24, 2010, 09:15:45 AM »
One Dream Theater

lol j/k

You could say it is...  *sunglasses* never enough

:horatio:

FTFY
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1657 on: September 24, 2010, 09:54:51 AM »

This is all just incredible.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1658 on: September 24, 2010, 09:59:37 AM »

:'(
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1659 on: September 24, 2010, 10:02:26 AM »
IT'S NOT MY FAULT!  YOU SAID YOU WERE PERFECTLY CONTENT BEING PAID IN SOULS OF THE BANNED INSTEAD OF CASH!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1660 on: September 24, 2010, 10:04:36 AM »
I haven't gotten any of those lately either.

*makes note to go on banning rampage*

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #1661 on: September 24, 2010, 10:09:48 AM »
Ban Nick

:splodetard:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1662 on: September 24, 2010, 10:36:40 AM »
Ban Nick

Been there, done that. Numerous times. Never gets old.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1663 on: September 24, 2010, 10:43:31 AM »
Ban Nick

He still get's frustrated :P

I wish I could ban somebody. It sounds like fun

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1664 on: September 24, 2010, 10:50:26 AM »
PLM, check your PM's now.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1665 on: September 24, 2010, 11:09:18 AM »
Ban Nick

He still get's frustrated :P

I wish I could ban somebody. It sounds like fun

I banned someone on a radio control forum once, it was easily one of the most rewarding feelings I have ever had.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1666 on: September 24, 2010, 11:10:14 AM »
lolNick

anyway

I haven't really chimed in on the MP thing, but I do think he's been acting silly. He needs to calm down or take a break from the interent if he's gonna get like this

Offline cygnusaz

« Reply #1667 on: September 24, 2010, 02:08:18 PM »

Also, I dont know if it is because I cant stand A7X or not, but if I see one more tweet saying sh1t like "Me, Johnny Stink-nuts and Zakky got tats, played putt putt, and shared a milk shake" I am gonna puke.  We get it MP, your are having fun playing with the kids.  I just dont think many of the DT fans are ready for that yet.  He even mentioned in one of his tweets...Too soon!  Yep!

It's called a mid-life crisis. Most guys this happens to leave their wife and family, or buy a new car, or have an affair, or do some other random silly thing to prove to themselves they are still 'young' and aren't 'missing' out on life, lol.

I have a background in psychology, and the more I read Mike's tweets, and comments the more I am convinced this is exactly what Mike is going through. Hell, I'm 40, it would be a blast to hang out with a bunch of 20 somethings in a big band touring around the country with all the pleasures for my taking. But I've had my fun and enjoy evenings at home with the wife, and concerts, etc, lol.

Mike obviously missed out on this experience in DT. I remember many shows where his wife and kids were on the road with him. I remember many shows where the only ones waiting at the tour bus were guys in the chess club, lol.  

I am of the opinion Mike's experiences with AX7 pushed him over the edge, and he wanted more next year. If DT were to take a 'break', he could tour with them even more.

I don't blame AX7, they are just having fun and 'living the life'.

But Mike is a 44 year old man. Talking about 'tats' and 'milk shakes' at 3am on the tour bus. It's pathetic, lol.  

Someday, and even more so if DT continue their success, he will see this decision for what it really was about.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1668 on: September 24, 2010, 02:24:05 PM »
[Post]

Dude, you have a background in psychology? Thank you for clearing that up. I might have read your post and thought it was baseless condescension.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1669 on: September 24, 2010, 03:00:29 PM »
Be nice to the noob, ReaPsTa.  He's completely correct; it's just that everything he said has already been said in this thread a couple dozen times.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1670 on: September 24, 2010, 03:18:43 PM »
I don't know if anyone heard, but Portnoy just left DT! OMG I'm in shock.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1671 on: September 24, 2010, 03:21:54 PM »
Be nice to the noob, ReaPsTa.  He's completely correct; it's just that everything he said has already been said in this thread a couple dozen times.

He registered in 2007.
Over and over again

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1672 on: September 24, 2010, 04:04:29 PM »
Maybe he's been asleep or under a rock or something.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1673 on: September 24, 2010, 04:11:39 PM »
Maybe he's been asleep or under a rock or something.
He had his body frozen.

Like Walt Disney.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1674 on: September 24, 2010, 05:08:58 PM »
He's completely correct
No he isn't; he keeps referring to A7X, even though this has nothing to do with them. If he's going to get all arrogant about his background in psychology, he should probably try getting some facts right before unleashing his "educated opinion" on us. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1675 on: September 24, 2010, 05:55:40 PM »
Uhhh, how does this not have anything to do with Avenged Sevenfold? Mike makes a tweet about doing fun stuff with the band, supposedly gets flak from DT fans for it, bitches, and thus we're discussing it.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1676 on: September 24, 2010, 06:06:46 PM »
It's clear that it has something to do with A7X! It's been a factor (even if it's a minor one) because he got to see how it feels when I doesn't have the responsabilities he have with DT and I had fun with this band so it helped him to made the final descision I think.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1677 on: September 24, 2010, 06:09:55 PM »
Are the other guys in DT just not into partying? I can see Myung being a real party animal.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1678 on: September 24, 2010, 06:11:12 PM »
The guys who are saying "oh, MP wanted to party with AX7" aren't properly taking into account the degree to which MP really didn't want to leave DT.
Over and over again

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1679 on: September 24, 2010, 06:12:01 PM »
Are the other guys in DT just not into partying? I can see Myung being a real party animal.

They actually realize they're in their 40s.