Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 514534 times)

Offline Sixtease

Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #1610 on: September 23, 2010, 03:43:32 AM »
I really find MP's bitching on Twitter silly as well but... are we doing any better than him, bitching about his bitching?

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1611 on: September 23, 2010, 03:59:19 AM »
I really find MP's bitching on Twitter silly as well but... are we doing any better than him, bitching about his bitching?
There's a difference.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1612 on: September 23, 2010, 04:32:57 AM »
^Since that's at least partially directed to me, I've gotta ask is it coming from "normal ariich," "moderator ariich," or both?

Because I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out how immature bitching via Twitter is, especially for grown people, but if it's crossing the line of "bashing former members" or whatever then I'll stop :police:
It's not crossing the line.  And ariich doesn't wear two different faces at two different times.  What he said is exactly what he meant.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1613 on: September 23, 2010, 04:54:20 AM »
^Since that's at least partially directed to me, I've gotta ask is it coming from "normal ariich," "moderator ariich," or both?

Because I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out how immature bitching via Twitter is, especially for grown people, but if it's crossing the line of "bashing former members" or whatever then I'll stop :police:
It's not crossing the line.  And ariich doesn't wear two different faces at two different times.  What he said is exactly what he meant.

I know ariich doesn't wear two faces, I just wanted to make sure that wasn't a "the moderators want this to stop" kind of thing. I guess he would've said so if it was. My bad. Didn't mean to suggest that ariich was twofaced or anything. I  :heart ariich. I'm sorry if someone took it the wrong way.

There's a difference.

It's not better, but it's more appropriate. The fact is, people talk smack about bands all the time. The occasional harping on the negative is all fun and games, and part of being a fan. The same thing applies to sports. I may be a Jets fan, but I've had my fair share of "bash Sanchez" sessions with other Jets fans.

The whole "people bitching about entertainers for not entertaining" is a sacred part of the fan-entertainer relationship. Guys who get paid big bucks to put on a show, either on a stage or on a field, are more-or-less expected to shrug off the criticism. When an entertainer can't man up to a simple fact of life such as this one, and turns toward hormonally outlashing against the fans on the internet, it just looks bad. Granted, Portnoy hasn't really "hormonally outlashed" against us fans, he seems pretty close to doing so. One has to wonder if he actually thinks that writing messages like "I GUESS I CAN'T HAVE A NORMAL LIFE SORRY:(" is going to silence the criticism.

Offline FlashCE

« Reply #1614 on: September 23, 2010, 06:53:08 AM »

I know ariich doesn't wear two faces, I just wanted to make sure that wasn't a "the moderators want this to stop" kind of thing. I guess he would've said so if it was. My bad. Didn't mean to suggest that ariich was twofaced or anything. I  :heart ariich. I'm sorry if someone took it the wrong way.

There's a difference.

It's not better, but it's more appropriate. The fact is, people talk smack about bands all the time. The occasional harping on the negative is all fun and games, and part of being a fan. The same thing applies to sports. I may be a Jets fan, but I've had my fair share of "bash Sanchez" sessions with other Jets fans.

The whole "people bitching about entertainers for not entertaining" is a sacred part of the fan-entertainer relationship. Guys who get paid big bucks to put on a show, either on a stage or on a field, are more-or-less expected to shrug off the criticism. When an entertainer can't man up to a simple fact of life such as this one, and turns toward hormonally outlashing against the fans on the internet, it just looks bad. Granted, Portnoy hasn't really "hormonally outlashed" against us fans, he seems pretty close to doing so. One has to wonder if he actually thinks that writing messages like "I GUESS I CAN'T HAVE A NORMAL LIFE SORRY:(" is going to silence the criticism.

Devin Townsend said it best once. He mentioned that as someone of his status (well-known musician and artist), he is very responsible for what he says and his actions, etc. because they can influence his fans. For example, he can't just get back to taking drugs or something because that would completely break the inspiration he had on the fans. I'm too tired to phrase my words properly.

Offline Sixtease

« Reply #1615 on: September 23, 2010, 07:23:56 AM »
Devin Townsend said it best once. He mentioned that as someone of his status (well-known musician and artist), he is very responsible for what he says and his actions, etc. because they can influence his fans. For example, he can't just get back to taking drugs or something because that would completely break the inspiration he had on the fans. I'm too tired to phrase my words properly.

I agree with what this Devin Townsend said. You can't expect all celebrities to be like this though. Mike Portnoy is different. I like him and I don't like how he's acting right now.

Offline GuinnessSteve

« Reply #1616 on: September 23, 2010, 07:58:26 AM »
Whatever your opinions on where the band goes from here, I'm still pretty disappointed he left. For years, I've been looking forward to seeing the 12 Step Suite live in its entirety, and I can't see them doing that without him. I don't know if they would have done it WITH him, but I heard an unsubstantiated rumor that MP wanted to do it when he completed it, which he obviously did in BC&SL.

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #1617 on: September 23, 2010, 08:19:58 AM »
It doesn't really sound professional of Mike Portnoy to tweet the way he recently has. I'll stick with my original statement: Mike Portnoy needs a break from Mike Portnoy. He determined his life to be the of the "go go go" mentality. That's how his fans and fans of DT perceived his life. And he had every right to change gears and have a different life of the "take the time and rejuvenate" mentality. But he doesn't give his fans much credit or much respect if he expects them to "understand" that he wants to have that different life. They only know one Mike Portnoy. They don't know the Mike Portnoy that would walk away from a 25 year investment to have a different life. And trust me, life without DT will be a different life for Mike Portnoy.

I'll advocate Mike walking away. Walking away will let him refresh and rejuvenate. It will restore and promote creativity. It may open his mind to let things develop. This is something I stated after Train of Thought. The way the album was produced was insane (my humble opinion) - so rushed and nothing ever had time to digest. With the exception of Wither, I think a lot of the recent Dream Theater material (last 3 albums) has been shoved down our throats. My proclivities lead me to believe that it was due to Mike's overall direction of the band, lack of creativity, and literally no input from the rest of the band (outside of JP).

Mike will do what he wants. It's been very clear to this point that he always has but that doesn't mean he shouldn't remain professional. Someone else on the forum noted: "I like Mike but I don't like the way he is acting."

I agree. And I don't blame his fans or DT fans for losing respect for him.

Offline GuinnessSteve

« Reply #1618 on: September 23, 2010, 08:37:19 AM »
I disagree for the most part, B_D concerning their recent work. Musically I think most of it has been spot-on. For me it's the lyrics that are sometimes cringe-worthy. But when you get a bunch of self-indulgent virtuosos (and I mean that in the best way possible) together to write music, you can (or at least I can) forgive their shortcomings in the lyrics department when the instrumental side is so great.

Offline Sixtease

« Reply #1619 on: September 23, 2010, 08:43:32 AM »
I don't mind any of their lyrics.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1620 on: September 23, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
I think their lyrics are of pretty consistent quality from WDADU up to (and including) Octavarium. I think I would have preferred they NOT go back to fantasy lyrics, but I don't mind those either really.

Offline GuinnessSteve

« Reply #1621 on: September 23, 2010, 08:53:28 AM »
I don't mind any of their lyrics.

BC&SL and TCoT were two songs that made me cringe a couple times.

"MAH BROTHA!" :tdwn

Both are musically great and I'd listen to them over and over. But the lyrics just don't FIT the music they wrote (a shortcoming of their "record the music then fit the lyrics in somehow" writing process, IMHO).

At any rate, I'm hoping Mike's departure will revitalize this aspect.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1622 on: September 23, 2010, 08:59:14 AM »
Thing is, MP's biggest plus, his involvement with the fans, is also his Achilles heel. Why does he keep reading the mental brainfarts of random internet people? To use the analogy again, when you break up with someone, you don't keep on listening to her friends' conversation about you all the time.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1623 on: September 23, 2010, 08:59:40 AM »
What's that song? I haven't heard about it!  :biggrin:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1624 on: September 23, 2010, 09:01:02 AM »
It goes like,

Our hopes and expectaaaations,
Black clouds and silver liiiiinings!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1625 on: September 23, 2010, 09:03:51 AM »
To use the analogy again, when you break up with someone, you don't keep on listening to her friends' conversation about you all the time.

Interesting analogy in light of the fact that a lot of posts of late have led to a thought crossing my mind every so often of, "life would be good again if I broke up with that chick named DTF."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1626 on: September 23, 2010, 09:09:05 AM »
It goes like,

Our hopes and expectaaaations,
Black clouds and silver liiiiinings!
Oh, I've heard it! It's the hidden bonus track on the third disc of the BC&SL special edition that can only be heard when you put the disc to your CD player upside down! The second hidden track is a mash-up of all the songs on BC&SL and it's called "The Best Withered Count's Fortress of Passage to Remember!"

Offline GuinnessSteve

« Reply #1627 on: September 23, 2010, 09:21:02 AM »
What's that song? I haven't heard about it!  :biggrin:
Jesus, I AM overtired, aren't I? I meant A Nightmare to Remember. :blush

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1628 on: September 23, 2010, 10:02:55 AM »
Maybe we should get a song called Black clouds & silver linings on the next album. It would be like Zeppelin's Houses of the holy.  :)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1629 on: September 23, 2010, 10:09:26 AM »
Maybe we should get a song called Black clouds & silver linings on the next album. It would be like Zeppelin's Houses of the holy.  :)

Only if the next album is a double album like Physical Graffiti was... :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1630 on: September 23, 2010, 11:11:23 AM »
To use the analogy again, when you break up with someone, you don't keep on listening to her friends' conversation about you all the time.

Interesting analogy in light of the fact that a lot of posts of late have led to a thought crossing my mind every so often of, "life would be good again if I broke up with that chick named DTF."

Do you really mean it? Would you really give up on us? No! Don't go, please!!!! :(
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1631 on: September 23, 2010, 11:15:24 AM »
Thing is, MP's biggest plus, his involvement with the fans, is also his Achilles heel. Why does he keep reading the mental brainfarts of random internet people? To use the analogy again, when you break up with someone, you don't keep on listening to her friends' conversation about you all the time.

rumborak

I think he have a tatoo related to this...like the happy king the sad king: There is a good and a bad side when you're that close to the fans and that in charge with the band...you get a lot of credit but also a lot of blame.

Just like fishing: It's like, woah the big fish but heyy don't fall the hot water so welcoming to me I'm undecided and confused/not amused. It's like the fishing analogy I like to call it...very helpfull.

EDIT: 999 posts it's like 666 posts but upside-down OMG so methul!! \m/

EDIT2: Well...not anymore. :(
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 11:37:48 AM by Gorille85 »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1632 on: September 23, 2010, 12:15:13 PM »
It's funny cuz the only one who apparently isn't moving on is MP.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1633 on: September 23, 2010, 02:44:15 PM »
His last set of tweets are kind of embarrassing in that "Hey guys...remember I'm still not in the band anymore...I left, guys! Anyone?", Facebook status attention seeking kinda way.
You could say he is a... Status Seeker :neverusethis:

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1634 on: September 23, 2010, 02:44:31 PM »
loldoublepost

EDIT: The fact that he's bitching about that is because he still cares about the DT fans and he's trying everything not to think about his leaving of DT. Maybe he thinks that going fun with A7X is what's better for him in order to forget about that, but the douchebag people who happen to be DT fans (Not all DT fans of course) keep him away from doing it and that pisses him off. You can't blame him for caring about what they say about him, he's been doing that for 25 years. IMO.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1635 on: September 23, 2010, 02:49:40 PM »
His last set of tweets are kind of embarrassing in that "Hey guys...remember I'm still not in the band anymore...I left, guys! Anyone?", Facebook status attention seeking kinda way.
You could say he is a... Status Seeker :horatio:

FTFY
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1636 on: September 23, 2010, 02:52:19 PM »
After talkin with some friends about this, I understand what MP is going through, no one saw this coming even him. But now that he's gone I look forward to his upcoming material. Being in a band, it is hard to lose a member. Theirs a lot of things that might've happened but what we know is what he wants us to know and i'm happy with just that. Leave that for a biography.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #1637 on: September 23, 2010, 04:11:29 PM »
Ok so enough time has passed already. Who is the new drummer and what is DT doing is all I give a flying shit about now. Good luck to MP but I agree, stop bitching. The fans want DT not MP. I think that is what is really bothering him.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1638 on: September 23, 2010, 04:15:37 PM »
I guess it pays not having a Twitter or Facebook
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1639 on: September 23, 2010, 05:26:24 PM »
I dunno, I think MP shouldn't receive so much shitstorm from we the fans but neither so much ball-licking either.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1640 on: September 23, 2010, 05:34:43 PM »
IMHO

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1641 on: September 23, 2010, 05:38:11 PM »
 :lol

Offline AtmosphericV

• wilderness
« Reply #1642 on: September 23, 2010, 05:55:31 PM »
Wow you guys, why all this "I'm losing respect for him, I don't like him anymore" thing? The man is obviously upset and sad about the whole situation. If you don't like that he's expressing it, don't read it!  :chill
Everyone knows its Butters!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1643 on: September 23, 2010, 06:19:10 PM »
Wow you guys, why all this "I'm losing respect for him, I don't like him anymore" thing? The man is obviously upset and sad about the whole situation. If you don't like that he's expressing it, don't read it!  :chill

That goes both ways.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1644 on: September 23, 2010, 06:37:26 PM »

We are all pretty chilled. And we're just post our opinions in a relaxed way. That's about it
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing