Author Topic: US Justice Dep. Takes Down Megaupload, Anonymous Takes Down US Justice Dep.  (Read 4157 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Fair enough. I get that. But hasn't Anonymous done this before? They've taken down government websites before, I think. I doubt this is the first time the government has heard of them.
[/quote

They have, but as the xkcd Harry posted pointed out (damn that Scot for stealing my thunder!), they're taking down posters put up by the government, which don't really have an impact on people who are actually doing stuff. :P 

@Bosk: they've done worse than this, and the government's already been on them.  There's an Internet security company (can't remember the name, my dad is on their mailing list) that has been pretty much destroyed by anonymous.  A bunch of financial info released to the public, and the e-mail of the CEO hacked.  They even changed the content of one of his apology e-mails to refer to themselves as "crazed sexual deviant lunatics" or something.

Looks like I'm the only one here who's on Anon's side.

It was none of America's business shutting down a company in a country on the other side of the world when all they had to do to block it was blacklist it in America.

I hope you guys enjoy your future under SOPA/PIPA. I have first hand experience with government-led internet censorship in Turkey, and I can tell you right away it's absolutely depressing not being able to go on YouTube or tons of other sites that generate and propagate culture. There's pretty much nothing differentiating MegaVideo from YouTube, YT is also full of copyrighted material. You're headed for a world where big brother will be breathing down your back all the time. I don't care what happens in America, but I don't like seeing the american government's greasy moneygrabbing hands feel up other countries.
You're confusing supporting Anon and supporting the closure of Megaupload.  It seems most here decry the closure,  but thing that Anon are a bunch of childish nimrods.  Their actions in prostest don't actually accomplish anything,  except maybe give our over-reactive government another reason to want to control our actions. 

This.  Anonymous are just a bunch of jerks 99% of the time.  And SOPA/PIPA haven't passed yet (THANK GOD).

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
the effect of shutting those site down for 24 hours was not to worry about how fast they'd be back up. how many people visit those sites daily for work related purposes......they disrupted millions upon millions of internet visits and traffic with what they did.

It was felt.
I'm sure.

I don't know if I agree with what they did/do.
Im just saying.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
the effect of shutting those site down for 24 hours was not to worry about how fast they'd be back up. how many people visit those sites daily for work related purposes......they disrupted millions upon millions of internet visits and traffic with what they did.

It was felt.
I'm sure.

I don't mean to say that it wasn't felt.  What I mean to say is, it's like shooting a giant in the eye with a squirt gun: you'll blind him for a while, and then he'll just be really pissed off and have a good reason to step on you. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 12:09:28 PM by Jaffa »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Kosmo

I'm definitely against SOPA with all my heart, but this attack seems really unnecessary and just plain dumb.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Coming in late, just saying that the shutdown of Megaupload is perfectly reasonable. It is the single biggest facilitator of illegal downloads there is. Anonymous DOS's the DOJ site only shows how Anonymous is comprised of anarchist idiots who want things for free.
And on a connected side note, this way of dealing with illegal downloads is way better than the SOPA/PIPA approach. It's sad and all too telling when people here don't make that connection.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I read online that they're not passing this bill until they can come to a solution " Everyone can agree on ".

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Out of curiosity, how did they shut it down? Isn't it based in Hong Kong?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Coming in late, just saying that the shutdown of Megaupload is perfectly reasonable. It is the single biggest facilitator of illegal downloads there is. Anonymous DOS's the DOJ site only shows how Anonymous is comprised of anarchist idiots who want things for free.
And on a connected side note, this way of dealing with illegal downloads is way better than the SOPA/PIPA approach. It's sad and all too telling when people here don't make that connection.

rumborak
I agree with your second point.  This is a better solution than SOPA/PIPA.  Don't get your first point that being the a facilitator earns them the wrath of the DOJ.  As I said before,  if they were honoring DMCA takedown requests,  then I don't see where the problem is.  They're an enterprise with legal and legitimate uses,  and they're (apparently) complying with DMCA. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
Out of curiosity, how did they shut it down? Isn't it based in Hong Kong?

There are servers stateside as well.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
Anonymous's attack isn't going to change anything about the government, their policies, or anything of the like, so really, it wasn't much of a success. If they wanted to make a statement, this wasn't the right way to do it, really.

Megaupload was a pretty good site, though, sad to see it and its founders and whatnot in hot water.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
Hey well I'm glad there was a trial and everythi...oh. There wasn't a trial? Heh. USA all the way.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Anonymous just took things to a scary place.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
I read that plenty of people are pissed because they can no longer access their personal, legitimate files anymore.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I highly question the existence of legitimate file sharing on MegaUpload. That whole place existed almost solely for the purpose of illegal file sharing and the site owners knew it.

rumborak

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
But it's true that a lot of people used it as a sort of cloud storage.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
Obviously it's impossible to figure out the percentage that was legitimate, but there are a variety of uses for MegaUpload that are completely lawful.  Here are just a few of those uses from this article on Arstechnica.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2012/01/megaupload-wasnt-just-for-pirates-angry-users-out-of-luck-for-now.ars

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
https://gizmodo.com/5878287/filesonic-just-killed-itself-by-disabling-file-sharing

In what looks like a preventive measure in reaction to the Megaupload shutdown, FileSonic has disabled all file sharing capabilities and is now nothing more than a personal storage solution. It looks like the Feds’ tactic of going after the big fish in Megaupload is beginning to scare other file sharing sites into shutting down.

Along with FileSonic, Uploaded.to seems to have shuttered its services to the US as well. If committing suicide (or honorably dying like a samurai depending on your perspective) is the trend of these file sharing sites, the shutdown of Megaupload will always be remembered as a dark, dark day for the Internet. Sad. We’ll probably see how other file sharing sites like RapidShare, MediaFire react to this news soon.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
Wow.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
Curious to see how this goes down.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I'll be curious to see if youtube reacts to this by taking down tons of copyrighted material that is up there.  It seems like, with them, they'll take it down when/if asked by the artists, record companies, etc. ask them to, but otherwise they look the other way on most of it.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
I don't think Youtube has the man power to go through the videos hosted on their site like that.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm curious how they do it though. I've had videos deemed copyrighted pretty much instantaneously after uploading them.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
I'm curious how they do it though. I've had videos deemed copyrighted pretty much instantaneously after uploading them.

Record/film/etc. companies?

Offline Ħ

RIP Megavideo.  I mean, this is a good thing, right?  If the government's going to target something, it should be sites like Megaupload, Pirate Bay, and other sites that really aren't moderated for illegal material.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
RIP Megavideo.  I mean, this is a good thing, right?  If the government's going to target something, it should be sites like Megaupload, Pirate Bay, and other sites that really aren't moderated for illegal material.

I can't help but think that there's bigger issues they should be concerned with at the moment.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Ħ

I can't help but think that there's bigger issues they should be concerned with at the moment.
Well yeah, of course, but just taking this issue in isolation, I don't think the government is unjustified.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I really have very little problem with these shutdowns. MegaUpload actively looked the other way in order to make the most money on the illegal file sharing. RapidShare isn't really too different.
Are a few people with legit files on those servers inconvenienced? Sure. But you would think they have a backup copy.

rumborak

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
https://gizmodo.com/5878287/filesonic-just-killed-itself-by-disabling-file-sharing

In what looks like a preventive measure in reaction to the Megaupload shutdown, FileSonic has disabled all file sharing capabilities and is now nothing more than a personal storage solution. It looks like the Feds’ tactic of going after the big fish in Megaupload is beginning to scare other file sharing sites into shutting down.

Along with FileSonic, Uploaded.to seems to have shuttered its services to the US as well. If committing suicide (or honorably dying like a samurai depending on your perspective) is the trend of these file sharing sites, the shutdown of Megaupload will always be remembered as a dark, dark day for the Internet. Sad. We’ll probably see how other file sharing sites like RapidShare, MediaFire react to this news soon.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran

It's run by Google, so I wouldn't be surprised if they provide a kinda "alert" feature that notifies a certain party when a video with particular keywords gets uploaded. So, the MPAA or whatever has a few people employed who check out those alerted videos and flag, them if necessary. Zero effort for Google, and they stay clean too.

rumborak

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
https://plus.google.com/u/0/111314089359991626869/posts/HQJxDRiwAWq

In December of 2011, just weeks before the takedown, Digital Music News reported on something new that the creators of #Megaupload were about to unroll. Something that would rock the music industry to its core. (https://goo.gl/A7wUZ)

I present to you... MegaBox. MegaBox was going to be an alternative music store that was entirely cloud-based and offered artists a better money-making opportunity than they would get with any record label.

"UMG knows that we are going to compete with them via our own music venture called Megabox.com, a site that will soon allow artists to sell their creations directly to consumers while allowing artists to keep 90 percent of earnings," MegaUpload founder Kim 'Dotcom' Schmitz told Torrentfreak.

Not only did they plan on allowing artists to keep 90% of their earnings on songs that they sold, they wanted to pay them for songs they let users download for free.

"We have a solution called the Megakey that will allow artists to earn income from users who download music for free," Dotcom outlined. "Yes that's right, we will pay artists even for free downloads. The Megakey business model has been tested with over a million users and it works."

If this is true, holy shit!

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I saw that.

Seems like a load of nonsense, to be honest.

I mean, they could have been releasing something called Megakey but I highly doubt that it was the reason they were shut down.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Leave it to the internet to find a conspiracy.

Roooon Paaauulll!!!

rumborak

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX

Offline Fluffy Lothario

I've taken to downloading quite a few live bootlegs in recent times. Between Megaupload disappearing and Filesonic folding, I've clicked on so many dead links in the past week, I've lost count.