Author Topic: The Diabetes Thread v. DIABEEETUS  (Read 868 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
The Diabetes Thread v. DIABEEETUS
« on: April 04, 2024, 01:14:46 PM »

And go.....

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The Diabetes Thread v. DIABEEETUS
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 01:19:27 PM »
Type 2 here
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 01:25:06 PM »

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 01:25:52 PM »
Type 2 as well, or as my friend with Type 1 says, "aww man, you've got the good kind."  :D
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 01:27:21 PM »
Prediabetic.

Hoping a decent change to diet (not cutting anything out, just much more moderation and limiting sugar intake, increasing protein and being more physical) will keep me out of the Willford Brimely fan club.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 01:30:57 PM »
Type 2 as well, or as my friend with Type 1 says, "aww man, you've got the good kind."  :D

Yeah, I feel for the peeps with Type 1...that's just fucked.

I'm type 2, and the combination of being a chef, a recovering addict who has zero impulse control and is always looking for quick fixes (booze, drugs, tobacco, sex, food), and who is lazy as fuck, is a horrible combination.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 01:45:11 PM »
I just have deep kudos to the Wilfred Brimley references. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2024, 02:08:10 PM »
I just have deep kudos to the Wilfred Brimley references.

I mean, I couldn't make the thread without them now, could I?

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2024, 03:32:53 PM »
Type II as well.

It's weird as I have been doing pretty well with my A1C's the past couple of years including a 6.1 last October, and I just got mine done yesterday and learned it went up to 6.7  :-[  :'( . It hasn't been that high in almost 2 years. I guess that's part of the process, getting tested and if need be, making changes.
I haven't really been doing much different from a diet standpoint, but I've been dealing with other health issues (back problems and head pressure/headaches) which has impacted my activity I suppose.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2024, 03:38:46 PM »
Type II as well.

It's weird as I have been doing pretty well with my A1C's the past couple of years including a 6.1 last October, and I just got mine done yesterday and learned it went up to 6.7  :-[  :'( . It hasn't been that high in almost 2 years. I guess that's part of the process, getting tested and if need be, making changes.
I haven't really been doing much different from a diet standpoint, but I've been dealing with other health issues (back problems and head pressure/headaches) which has impacted my activity I suppose.

Diabetes is progressive so it's possible to make that kind of jump in 6 months if your body is changing. If the next one rises for no reason (your diet/activity stays the same), then an adjustment in the meds is likely in order.

It's possible the headaches are related to the rise. Still, 6.7 is a good place.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2024, 05:41:29 PM »
I'm in this club, T2.

I learned it the hard way right before my son was born, the school year had just ended and my eyesight plummeted quickly and I was up every two hours peeing. Blood sugar about 537, rushed to the hospital. I've been under control since then and I've also lost some weight.
I do eat carbs but I watch what I eat now. It's been an educational journey and I'm sure there's more to learn.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2024, 06:30:27 PM »
Type 2 here as well. I was diagnosed in my mid 30's. I've ended up losing approximately 60 pounds over the years. I'm able to control mine by practicing autophagy (extended fasting), and some major changes to my diet. No more pop/soda and I used to drink orange juice constantly. Now I mainly stick to flavored water. Another good thing to try for anyone else that's dealing with this disease is to eat peanut butter if you need to put something in your stomach between meals.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2024, 06:36:25 PM »
I'm in this club, T2.

I learned it the hard way right before my son was born, the school year had just ended and my eyesight plummeted quickly and I was up every two hours peeing. Blood sugar about 537, rushed to the hospital. I've been under control since then and I've also lost some weight.
I do eat carbs but I watch what I eat now. It's been an educational journey and I'm sure there's more to learn.

You mentioned your eyesight. My eyesight was the catalyst to getting my diagnosis. I got to work one day, and I couldn't make out the faces of the people I was talking to 10 feet away. It's like looking at a picture with the faces blurred out. I called my wife and told her I couldn't see. I left work early and went to the doctor, and was told I had diabetes. I had an hour ride home from work which wasn't a problem though. The diagnosis answered some questions as to why I had been feeling the way I did. That was 25 years ago.

Type 2 here as well. I was diagnosed in my mid 30's. I've ended up losing approximately 60 pounds over the years. I'm able to control mine by practicing autophagy (extended fasting), and some major changes to my diet. No more pop/soda and I used to drink orange juice constantly. Now I mainly stick to flavored water. Another good thing to try for anyone else that's dealing with this disease is to eat peanut butter if you need to put something in your stomach between meals.

Yeah, I second the peanut butter.

I didn't really have weight to lose..still don't, and I cleaned up my eating, and while those things are helpful, my problem is that my pancreas has practically stopped producing insulin.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2024, 05:26:00 PM »
I'm at a 5.7 at the moment which was the only blemish on my recent blood test so my doctor expressed his concern. We'll see in 6 months when I have the next one but it's been on my mind for the last few weeks.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2024, 07:30:49 PM »
I'd kill for a 5.7 :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2024, 07:35:04 PM »

I was thinking the same thing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2024, 07:55:01 PM »
I was thinking the same thing.

My docs is happy when I clock in under 7.

Offline Adami

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2024, 08:22:32 PM »
I'm at a 5.7 at the moment which was the only blemish on my recent blood test so my doctor expressed his concern. We'll see in 6 months when I have the next one but it's been on my mind for the last few weeks.

I’m at a 5.7 too.

Checked a bit ago and turns out I’ve been at 5.7 for at least a year and no one told me to be aware of it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Skeever

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2024, 08:40:59 PM »
I’m at a 5.7 too.

Checked a bit ago and turns out I’ve been at 5.7 for at least a year and no one told me to be aware of it.

Of course I'd never tell anyone not to worry about their health, not diet, not exercise.
But "pre diabetes" isn't without controversy. A good amount of lobbying has contributed to determining that 5.7 represents some kind of point of significance.

Not gonna get on a soapbox but... worth a look, I think. Anyway, of course, be healthy...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2024, 06:25:56 AM »
A 5.7 is like a 30 y/o posting in the Fogey Thread.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 06:43:07 AM by TAC »

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2024, 07:11:20 AM »
Type 2 here.

I got everything under control since I learned it. The biggest help for me is Mineral water + lemon in the morning and apple vinegar before going to bed.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2024, 07:13:46 AM »
A 5.7 is like a 30 y/o posting in the Fogey Thread.  ;D

pg posted there about kicking in his sleep. I wrote a lengthy post about how I punched a wall several times in my sleep due to frustrating reoccuring dreams for the last two years.

Then I realized I'm only 31 and deleted it. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2024, 08:24:21 AM »
 :lol

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2024, 04:49:29 PM »

:lol

Good to know. I trust my doctor a lot so I'm just going off what he was telling me. I think he was just doing his due diligence.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2024, 12:15:56 AM »
I've always been told that anything under 7 is good in their eyes. It's been awhile since I've had mine tested (2018). However, a friend of mine had a spare CGM that he let me use about a year ago. I was normally around 120 until I ate. It would spike up to around 180 and then go back down again, so I'm assuming my overall is down to around 7 or so. I used to be in the 10's on the regular.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2024, 05:56:08 AM »
Roughly a year ago I was getting my yearly bloodwork done and my A1C was a whopping 13. I was drinking waaaayy too much Fireball and I came clean with the Dr. She prescribed monjaro and I lost 15 pounds. I quit the Fireball and a few months later I went to get my blood drawn and it had come down to 5.3. When I got my bloodwork drawn about a month ago, it came back perfect. No vitamin deviancy and my A1C is at 5.1 and the nurse practitioner was ecstatic (so was I).

I've gained a few pounds but the thing is the diabetes diagnosis stays with you forever so if I wanted, I could get back on monjaro and insurance would cover it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2024, 02:01:19 PM »
Roughly a year ago I was getting my yearly bloodwork done and my A1C was a whopping 13. I was drinking waaaayy too much Fireball and I came clean with the Dr. She prescribed monjaro and I lost 15 pounds. I quit the Fireball and a few months later I went to get my blood drawn and it had come down to 5.3. When I got my bloodwork drawn about a month ago, it came back perfect. No vitamin deviancy and my A1C is at 5.1 and the nurse practitioner was ecstatic (so was I).

That's unbelievable. Were you having symptoms at 13? How long do you think you were that high?
Are you not on the Monjaro? That's weird that only 15 pounds and a temporary dosage of Monjaro would take care of it.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2024, 02:09:39 PM »
Crazy how bad alcohol is for us...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2024, 02:15:11 PM »
Crazy how bad alcohol is for us...

I had my best reading since I was diagnosed, a 6.0, this time last year, and it just so happened to be the first reading I had without alcohol. So maybe there's an initial benefit. I did go from that to a 7.0 in January though, but other than last year, I think I've only had a handful of readings in the 6's.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2024, 05:06:32 PM »
A friendly reminder to you all that carnitas tacos on corn tortillas are diabeticly sound.. As long as you don't have a flour tortilla or have rice and beans on the side.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 06:46:55 PM by lonestar »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2024, 05:43:58 PM »
What is fey?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2024, 06:18:37 PM »
Beans are bad? Never thought they were.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2024, 06:21:26 PM »
Beans are bad? Never thought they were.

Beans are high in carbs.

Offline Adami

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2024, 06:24:22 PM »
A quick google search seems to suggest that beans are good for people with diabetes?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2024, 06:37:08 PM »
Beans are funny. Beans are definitely good for you, but I know for me, I can only have so many before I start to feel it. A side of rice and beans is a lot of extra carbs compared to just getting your carbs from the tortilla.