Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 573570 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #3990 on: April 06, 2016, 09:52:02 AM »
Have you heard the second (s/t) Lynch Mob album?   That'd be the obvious one to go for.

Nope, haven't heard it, but checking it out on Youtube, right up my alley. :metal Thanks.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3991 on: April 06, 2016, 12:34:51 PM »
Is it a coincidence that someone was talking about a big cock and someone posted a picture of George Lynch?

And for what it's worth, I preferred the first Lynch Mob album. That's a classic.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3992 on: April 06, 2016, 12:38:55 PM »
Robert Mason is the lead singer of Warrant now. Great voice!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3993 on: April 06, 2016, 01:21:42 PM »
Is it a coincidence that someone was talking about a big cock and someone posted a picture of George Lynch?

And for what it's worth, I preferred the first Lynch Mob album. That's a classic.

I loved half of the first one but love more of the second. Maybe not quite the highs of the first but more consistent.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3994 on: April 06, 2016, 01:33:59 PM »

I loved half of the first one but love more of the second. Maybe not quite the highs of the first but more consistent.

That's the perfect way to describe it. The first three tracks on the debut are gold. I liked Mason's vocals more though.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3995 on: April 11, 2016, 03:48:09 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3996 on: April 11, 2016, 04:09:58 AM »
It's a good time to end it. I feel the Purple Album was unnecessary, but Forevermore was a great final album of original songs, and I don't want them to continue now that Aldrich is gone.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3997 on: April 11, 2016, 04:14:04 AM »
It's a good time to end it. I feel the Purple Album was unnecessary, but Forevermore was a great final album of original songs, and I don't want them to continue now that Aldrich is gone.

sorry to disappoint you Blob but his intention is to make a last Whitesnake studio album with the current band.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3998 on: April 11, 2016, 04:34:01 AM »

sorry to disappoint you Blob but his intention is to make a last Whitesnake studio album with the current band.

Aw man! As much of a big part Coverdale is in the songwriting, I don't have very high hopes without Aldrich, and with Coverdale's decline over the last couple of years. I didn't care for how the Purple Album sounded at all.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #3999 on: April 11, 2016, 04:36:16 AM »
I still haven't even bothered listening to that Purple Album yet.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4000 on: April 11, 2016, 04:45:47 AM »
I listened to the singles, but had no interest in hearing the album. I still listen to the recent studio albums regularly though.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #4001 on: April 11, 2016, 05:47:08 AM »
I have listened to the Purple Album maybe twice, didn't find it as bad as I feared but it didn't leave me wanting more.

But with all these retirement announcements, I'm thinking why they make it final? I mean when you've done music for your whole life what are you going to do now when you're retired? Never ever touch an instrument, never ever sing a note again in public or on record? I don't believe it! So just say that you take it slow and when you do something you do it and when not then not. That way you don't have to postpone or come out of the retirement for the next several years.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4002 on: April 11, 2016, 05:56:53 AM »

Fuck that, I'm with Blob. 

If that were the case, I'd just rather Reb as the sole guitarist, or you know, Doug might come back just for a last studio album.

I still haven't even bothered listening to that Purple Album yet.

Same, and probably won't bother either.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4003 on: April 12, 2016, 05:33:53 AM »
Jorn sure does love his covers;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHK2JXL4HqU

They all sound pretty fucking decent though to be honest.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4004 on: April 12, 2016, 05:40:36 AM »
You beat me to it by a couple of minutes. I posted it in the other thread. :lol
I like the sound of it overall, especially on the songs that were less heavy to begin with. I'm more interested in Jorn's covers than his original material.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4005 on: April 12, 2016, 09:11:23 AM »
Ok, how about the Sunstorm music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn6gDAlXhqA

Solid stuff. Some chunky riffing, good vocals, nice melodic rock chorus. Looking forward to this one.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4006 on: April 12, 2016, 09:38:04 AM »
I have listened to the Purple Album maybe twice, didn't find it as bad as I feared but it didn't leave me wanting more.

But with all these retirement announcements, I'm thinking why they make it final? I mean when you've done music for your whole life what are you going to do now when you're retired? Never ever touch an instrument, never ever sing a note again in public or on record? I don't believe it! So just say that you take it slow and when you do something you do it and when not then not. That way you don't have to postpone or come out of the retirement for the next several years.

I think this sort of makes me weird, but I love Coverdale in Purple, I love the early Whitesnake (though some of it is a shade bland) and I love the "hair metal" Whitesnake (though some if it is a shade clichéd).   I know David probably sees a lot more continuity than we do, but for me, the Purple album was a sort of curio; great songs, and some translated, but I don't know that it was meant to be intertwined like that. 

I thought Forevermore was UNBELIEVABLE.   Coverdale's voice is liquid gold on the title track (and the acoustic version is even better).  I played it for my 15-year-old and she was like "wow, that guy's voice is like silk." 

I'd be up for one more, but whether I like it or not will depend on what aspect of Whitesnake they choose to emphasize. 

I too don't quite get the need for the "proclamation of finality" that some of these guys do.  I get it with a band like REM that put a nail in and say "we're done".   No farewell tour, no "one more album", just a press release.  But I don't get the need to forecast the future so firmly.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4007 on: April 12, 2016, 02:39:10 PM »
Ok, how about the Sunstorm music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn6gDAlXhqA

Solid stuff. Some chunky riffing, good vocals, nice melodic rock chorus. Looking forward to this one.

Fuckin' nice.  Amazing guitar work too.  Looking forward to this big time.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4008 on: April 12, 2016, 02:46:28 PM »

The Hoekstra album was pretty good. I'd be more concerned at the vocals than the songwriting.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4009 on: April 12, 2016, 11:27:29 PM »

The Hoekstra album was pretty good. I'd be more concerned at the vocals than the songwriting.

I didn't really like the guitar work on the Purple Album, but I'm more concerned about the songwriting, which that doesn't show for obvious reason. Aldrich/Coverdale was a great writing team, but they still took time to find their sound together. I'm not convinced Hoekstra is a good fit for Whitesnake.
Coverdale's vocals on the Purple Album were also a concern. He was still sounding great on Forevermore, but on the live albums since, and the Purple Album, he's sounding shot now. Rock vocalists seem to decline rapidly once they hit the big 60.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #4010 on: April 13, 2016, 01:18:15 AM »
Maybe he should write/sing songs on the next record that more suit his current state of his voice. He can't go screaming and reaching for the high notes anymore, but in the middle and lower range he's still got a good and warm voice from what I've heard. So maybe a record a little more bluesy or laid back?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4011 on: April 13, 2016, 01:19:24 AM »
Maybe he should write/sing songs on the next record that more suit his current state of his voice. He can't go screaming and reaching for the high notes anymore, but in the middle and lower range he's still got a good and warm voice from what I've heard. So maybe a record a little more bluesy or laid back?

I think that's the way he will go if he does some solo stuff - along the lines of Restless Heart /Into The Light.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4012 on: April 13, 2016, 01:26:50 AM »

I think that's the way he will go if he does some solo stuff - along the lines of Restless Heart /Into The Light.

I still listen to Restless Heart very regularly, so I'd be down for that (Into The Light sucked though). He could still do the rockier stuff too, he just doesn't need to go for the really high notes. It's more obvious with the live/cover stuff he's recorded in the last 5 years since Forevermore, because he's still pushing to sing difficult melodies that he sang 25+ years ago. That's not as much of an issue when you're writing new material to suit your voice.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4013 on: April 13, 2016, 01:32:48 AM »
I probably should dig out Restless Heart.  It's one of those albums I was fired up for and bought on release (in the hair metal frame of mind , esp with that awesome cover) and then pressed Play and thought WTF is this wimpy bluesy rock!!   Haven't gone back very often , possibly due to that initial flat feeling.  If I listen to it with a more open mind than I had at the time I will probably like it more.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4014 on: April 13, 2016, 01:38:30 AM »
If you can appreciate it for what it is and not compare it to Whitesnake (since it's not), it's an excellent album from start to finish, without any skip tracks imo. But coming off albums like 1987 and Slip of the Tongue, it's such a different style, so I can see how it would disappoint a lot of fans.
Gonna listen to it right now. It's my go to album when I want something mellow.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4015 on: April 13, 2016, 01:49:41 AM »
I probably should dig out Restless Heart.  It's one of those albums I was fired up for and bought on release (in the hair metal frame of mind , esp with that awesome cover) and then pressed Play and thought WTF is this wimpy bluesy rock!!   Haven't gone back very often , possibly due to that initial flat feeling.  If I listen to it with a more open mind than I had at the time I will probably like it more.

My thoughts exactly.
But I don't agree with Blob about his voice being great on Forevermore. He struggles on lots of songs, particularly the ballad. Voice was grating. He got by because it's the studio. Not listened in ages so not sure of song titles.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #4016 on: April 13, 2016, 02:50:52 AM »
I quite like Restless Heart. If you expected a continuation of the 1987/Slip Of The Tongue style, you were in for a surprise. But considering that the early Whitesnake was more blues-rock than metal it wasn't that of a left turn.

But even on that record there are one or two tunes where his voice sounds incredibly strained. Back then he did it maybe on purpose?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4017 on: April 13, 2016, 05:12:31 AM »
I don't think I've ever heard Restless Heart.  Pretty sure I don't own it.  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4018 on: April 13, 2016, 05:25:05 AM »
You wouldn't like it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4019 on: April 13, 2016, 05:31:26 AM »
You wouldn't like it.

Good enough for me.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4020 on: April 13, 2016, 05:37:04 AM »
I tried to find Restless Heart on Spotify but it isn't available there as of yet, so I'm listening to Slip of the Tongue instead.  :lol  This brings back so many memories of high school.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4021 on: April 13, 2016, 08:36:01 AM »
You wouldn't like it.

Good enough for me.

Well, I don't know if that is one close friend who knows what another would like or if that is just someone saying to a stranger "it sucks", but I LOVE Restless Heart.   "Don't Fade Away" is a top five Whitesnake song for me (though the Starkers In Tokyo version is better).  It's NOT the Vai/Vandenberg hair metal extravaganza, but it's very good.

I also disagree with the voice questions on Forevermore.  I thought he strained a tad on the rockers, but the acoustic Forevermore is just sublime to me because of the warmth and depth of his voice.   

I do agree though that his voice didn't carry the day on the Purple record.  It seemed too "studio" and was missing some of the depth and warmth that I mentioned above. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4022 on: April 13, 2016, 08:43:06 AM »
You wouldn't like it.

Good enough for me.

Well, I don't know if that is one close friend who knows what another would like or if that is just someone saying to a stranger "it sucks", but I LOVE Restless Heart.   "Don't Fade Away" is a top five Whitesnake song for me (though the Starkers In Tokyo version is better).  It's NOT the Vai/Vandenberg hair metal extravaganza, but it's very good.

I adore Restless Heart, but I know that it's not wolfy's kind of album. :lol I'm glad to see another fan of it. :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4023 on: April 17, 2016, 05:27:54 AM »
Another Vega song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1rPokkD4uM

New First Signal;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poMMM0_FP2U

Standard Frontiers fare here, but Harry sounds great.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4024 on: April 17, 2016, 05:31:32 AM »
Heard them both the other day. I only remember from the video, certainly not from the music. :lol

Nothing wrong with them, but as you said, standard Frontiers fare.