Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 573571 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #3150 on: April 21, 2015, 05:50:23 PM »
It's a fucking curse...

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3151 on: April 21, 2015, 07:14:15 PM »
I basically have zero knowledge of current popular music lol
You have all the knowledge you need to know.

:lol  Word.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3152 on: April 21, 2015, 07:29:58 PM »
I don't feel like going back 90 pages so I'll just ask here anyway.  Who here was a fan of Valentine?  I remember hearing that for the first and not being able to stop listening to it.  I became a big fan of Hugo after that and later on Open Skyz. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3153 on: April 21, 2015, 07:42:13 PM »
I don't feel like going back 90 pages so I'll just ask here anyway.  Who here was a fan of Valentine?  I remember hearing that for the first and not being able to stop listening to it.  I became a big fan of Hugo after that and later on Open Skyz.

Not so much these days but I certainly was "back in the day".  That CD was a bit of a collectors item too.  That, Open Skyz and the first solo album he did with Vinny Burns all have their moments.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3154 on: April 21, 2015, 07:44:37 PM »
Right, I remember having the first solo CD also. i have to try and find those again.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3155 on: April 21, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »
I basically have zero knowledge of current popular music lol
You have all the knowledge you need to know.

:lol  Word.

Double word.

What up men?  So, I spun a few of these new releases today. 

City of Heroes:  With all the meh-ness posted, I guess I had pretty low expectations, and was pleasantly surprised.  It was far more enjoyable than the debut, but I'll agree with the 'uninspired' comment.  It was fairly rudimentary by MK's standards, and I hope that your comment Kade of him saving his best for Primal Fear and FreeFall are spot on. 

Impellitteri - wow.  Nice, but c'mon... can the guy write a song longer than 4 minutes?  :lol.  Never heard any of his stuff before this album, and was suitably impressed.

Peterik & Scherer - couldn't get past 4 songs.  Softer than a wet noodle.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3156 on: April 21, 2015, 08:32:48 PM »
Hey buddy, good to see you.

Yeah, I still got City of Heroes in the car, and it's pretty good.  I can see going back to it often enough until Freefall and PF come out.  I think the first album was a bit all over the place and felt a bit thrown together, with a few filler tracks bringing it down.  This seems like a more cohesive effort.

Gonna check both the Impelitteri and Peterik.  Not expecting much from the Peterik.  I think Work of Art is as soft as I can go.  Anything less and I'm probably out.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3157 on: April 21, 2015, 09:03:17 PM »
Hey buddy, good to see you.

Yeah, I still got City of Heroes in the car, and it's pretty good.  I can see going back to it often enough until Freefall and PF come out.  I think the first album was a bit all over the place and felt a bit thrown together, with a few filler tracks bringing it down.  This seems like a more cohesive effort.

Gonna check both the Impelitteri and Peterik.  Not expecting much from the Peterik.  I think Work of Art is as soft as I can go.  Anything less and I'm probably out.

It's good to be seen. 

I agree with you on WOA.  That's about as soft as I can handle too from this genre.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3158 on: April 21, 2015, 09:14:01 PM »
So the Peterik is softer than that?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3159 on: April 21, 2015, 09:16:20 PM »
So the Peterik is softer than that?

I'd say so.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3160 on: April 21, 2015, 09:21:13 PM »
I'd rate Pride of Lions as softer on average than Work of Art and you guys like them I thought?  Peterik/Scherer sounds like PoL leftovers to me for the most part.   Quality stuff but also sounds dialed in given what he's capable of.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3161 on: April 21, 2015, 09:22:55 PM »
I'd rate Pride of Lions as softer than Work of Art and you guys like them I thought?  Peterik/Scherer sounds like PoL leftovers to me for the most part.   Quality stuff but also sounds dialed in given what he's capable of.

You're right.  POL did cross my mind but yes, they are softer than WOA.  Immortal was the softest IMO and I really didn't enjoy that one at all.  The others are great.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3162 on: April 21, 2015, 09:37:50 PM »
I'd have to concur with that statement.  Funny, I was thinking as I listened to P/S today 'what does this remind me of'.  Thanks for jogging the memory there Brent.  It's been a while since I listened to PoL, but I'd put them on par with WOA in the 'soft' department.  Definitely prefer Toby's solo (and iirc, the album/post that started this thread). 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3163 on: April 21, 2015, 10:01:40 PM »
While I was listening to Peterik/Scherer the thought crossed my mind that they should've called it Risk Nothing  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3164 on: April 22, 2015, 05:15:17 AM »
I'd have to concur with that statement.  Funny, I was thinking as I listened to P/S today 'what does this remind me of'.  Thanks for jogging the memory there Brent.  It's been a while since I listened to PoL, but I'd put them on par with WOA in the 'soft' department.  Definitely prefer Toby's solo (and iirc, the album/post that started this thread).

Yes, that was my main inspiriation for this thread, along with WOA actually.  Funny how this genre has halted it seems over the last couple of years.  That Hitchcock album is so good it's not funny.  We haven't really had anything as good since IMO.

I'm listening to POL's Immortal right now to see how I like it.  On the third song, and yeah, it's okay, pretty soft and meh though.

EDIT:  I'm just flicking through this POL now.  Some of the songs sound like Mariah Carey or something.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 05:33:43 AM by wolfking »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3165 on: April 22, 2015, 05:29:18 AM »
New Nelson;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsl2ZhFL20Y

Fucking horseshit.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3166 on: April 22, 2015, 05:32:31 AM »
Shithouse production too.........and I know that riff .  :-\   Sounds like something Bret Michaels would do.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3167 on: April 22, 2015, 05:37:51 AM »
What the fuck is going on lately?  Is it us?  :lol

Some of these POL Immortal songs are okay.  Shine On is wimpy but I really like it for some reason.  There's a couple at the end that are pretty decent too.  Vital Signs is great, as it should be with the name.

Just purchased a cheap digital copy of the Peterik/Schierer (whatever his name is album)  downloading now.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3168 on: April 22, 2015, 05:39:30 AM »

Just purchased a cheap digital copy of the Peterik/Schierer (whatever his name is album)  downloading now.

If you spell it like that it may be vying for No 1 in New Zealand with The Judas Goat

What the fuck is going on lately?  Is it us?  :lol

That Nelson is so bad it'll struggle to get 90% :lol
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 05:48:56 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3169 on: April 22, 2015, 05:50:10 AM »
haha.  Yeah, looks like I was way off with his name.

Having a quick listen to a few songs now from it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3170 on: April 22, 2015, 05:57:02 AM »
Anyone have track recommendations from City Of Heroes? Love the title track but still need convincing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3171 on: April 22, 2015, 06:00:23 AM »
Anyone have track recommendations from City Of Heroes? Love the title track but still need convincing.

The full album is on youtube I beleive.

It's actually pretty consistent, most tracks are decent enough.  But my favs are;

Salvation (yes, even with the lyrics)
Lights Out
Run With A Dream
Breaking Neptune
Rising Up

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3172 on: April 22, 2015, 06:01:51 AM »
That Nelson is so bad it'll struggle to get 90% :lol

I don't know. Probably 91-92, dont wanna go overboard. :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3173 on: April 22, 2015, 06:11:42 AM »
Shithouse production too.........and I know that riff .  :-\   Sounds like something Bret Michaels would do.

What? The production is easily better than 99% of the albums mentioned in this thread.
Song was decent, although hopefully not one of the best on the album. Lightning Strikes Twice was so damn amazing, I'll give this the benefit of the doubt for now.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3174 on: April 22, 2015, 06:14:07 AM »
I'm with Brent, that Nelson song sounded like shit.

Peterik & Scherer - couldn't get past 4 songs.  Softer than a wet noodle.

Got through 5 and then flicked through the rest.  Pretty terrible if I'm being honest.  Immortal is much better, and that's saying something.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3175 on: April 22, 2015, 06:14:34 AM »
I would agree that 99% of albums mentioned in this thread have better production than that Nelson track.  :P

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3176 on: April 22, 2015, 06:28:58 AM »
Think I'm taking a pass on the K/S for now. Listened to a few tracks. Really doing nothing for me. Maybe in a couple years when I realize I have a gaping hole in my Kiske collection I'll grab it for a late discovery, but I just cannot buy it now.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3177 on: April 22, 2015, 06:32:27 AM »
I would agree that 99% of albums mentioned in this thread have better production than that Nelson track.  :P

Most albums mentioned in this thread have total shit production tbh. :lol

Maybe you've just developed a taste for the shit now. :biggrin:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3178 on: April 22, 2015, 06:44:55 AM »
Not on your life .......I would rather good music that sounds like shit than shit music though   ;).

I suppose it doesn't have that "loudness wars" effect and so the "production" is better in that way - it may just be the shitty guitar/drum sound they're going for.  Sometimes sounding stripped back works - here I don't believe it does.
If that's the angle you're coming from then I agree.....at least the production on the Nelson breathes a bit - it just has bad breath.   ;D

It's a sad fact that when we chat here I make allowances for the idea that 90% + of the music released these days has bugger all dynamic range .  It's almost a given.

Like I said the other day I'm seriously thinking about not checking out new releases outside of bands I really expect the goods from , because not only do 90% of them sound crap relative to the older stuff  , but 90% are just production line material.   I have a much better strike rate looking for gems from the past .
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 06:52:11 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3179 on: April 22, 2015, 06:48:43 AM »
Not really - in fact .......never mind   ;)..............look , I know where you're coming from but that Nelson sounds like crap. I suppose it doesn't have that "loudness wars" effect and so the "production" is better in that way - it's may just be the shitty guitar/drum sound they're going for.  If that's the angle you're coming from then I agree.....at least the production on the Nelson breathes a bit - it just has bad breath.  ;D

My angle is the production is not bad. At all. It's good, in fact.
Loudness aside, most albums posted in this thread have garbage production, with the same nasty triggered metal drums, gated guitars EQ'd to sound like they were recorded by an iPhone, and leads that sound like mud. Opinion of the Nelson song aside, I don't know how you could say the production is bad compared to what gets posted here.

But man, I agree with you on that last paragraph. Modern albums do mostly sound like ass, and the music is rarely as good when it comes to melodic rock or hard rock stuff. It's really disheartening that even if a band writes a great new album, I can barely listen to it due to over compression. There are many good recent albums that I just unintentionally don't listen to, because the production ruins the music.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3180 on: April 22, 2015, 06:57:37 AM »
To save confusion above.......Blob quoted me before I finished editing.  I suppose my thoughts depend on what you define as "production".   It may well have a decent dynamic range and so forth but if the raw sound of the instruments is shit then I'd never say it has a good production.

Anyway........whatever you define it as. I don't like how it sounds.   I also don't like how Kiske/Somerville sounds but at least it has half a testicle.  I'd rather a beefy over compressed metal guitar sound than a stripped back raw guitar that sounds like a Telecaster  through a training amp.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3181 on: April 22, 2015, 07:01:15 AM »
Meh. Frontiers metal albums all sound awful, like something you'd get if you entirely recorded your album through a webcam mic into Garage Band. Balls require dynamics.

I define good production as the instruments sounding like actual instruments, and not sounding like what some high school kid did for their school project. The Nelson production sounded good. They're obviously going for a more raw stripped back sound, and it succeeds.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3182 on: April 22, 2015, 07:07:07 AM »
Meh yourself .   I think we basically agree on what makes a good production.  I just think the actual inputs on this sound like shit.  If that means success for them then cool bananas.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3183 on: April 22, 2015, 07:10:51 AM »
Let's just agree that all of the best sounding albums were from 1982 - 1992.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3184 on: April 22, 2015, 07:11:48 AM »
 :tup

www.theguitardojo.com.au