Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 576221 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #1890 on: April 02, 2014, 05:09:35 AM »
Those demos sound poor. Talent in the band but no songs there...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1891 on: April 02, 2014, 05:36:50 AM »
Didn't even listen to the demos.  That's sounds disappointing though.

Man, speaking of disappointing, what did you guys think of the new House of Lords.  I can't get into it at all, the songs are just not there IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1892 on: April 02, 2014, 06:00:41 AM »
I thought Precious Metal was pretty solid.  As good as Big Money.  Can't say I expect too much from them; they delivered on my expectations.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1893 on: April 02, 2014, 06:19:40 AM »
I thought Precious Metal was pretty solid.  As good as Big Money.  Can't say I expect too much from them; they delivered on my expectations.

I thought it was ok. Not great but decent. Because of that its not had much of a look in as there are better albums out there at the moment, most of them in a more metal direction.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1894 on: April 02, 2014, 06:22:21 AM »

I thought it was ok. Not great but decent. Because of that its not had much of a look in as there are better albums out there at the moment, most of them in a more metal direction.

Agreed.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1895 on: April 02, 2014, 06:27:30 AM »
Haven't been the best the last few days so been a bit slack in terms of music and haven't got to the HoL as yet.

Of those I have had a chance to listen to:

L.R.S.>Vanishing Point>>>>>>>>>>>HoL>>>>>KXM and Gus G
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 07:50:57 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1896 on: April 02, 2014, 07:49:08 AM »
Updated the above to include House of Lords.   Unfortunately the first track was the best and it was just okay from there.   It's getting to the point where all their recent albums sound the same to me - Bell hardly ever varies his sound/style.  I miss the old days where each album for most bands (incl HoL) had its own personality  - you'd only need to play me 10 secs of an old HoL song and I could tell you if it came from s/t, Sahara or Demons Down.    I'd struggle with any of the Bell era stuff.

If any other band put it out it'd probably rate a bit higher but this is just more of the same , but not as good.

PS  Thankfully DT and a few other bands still manage to pull of the art of each album having its own vibe.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 07:56:11 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1897 on: April 02, 2014, 07:55:22 AM »
I agree that it's 'more of the same', but I still feel it's pretty good/enjoyable.  Perhaps because I only became a HoL fan within the last couple of years (invariably because of this thread).

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1898 on: April 02, 2014, 10:56:46 AM »
I thought the LRS album was a letdown. AOR by numbers. Nothing standing out. I expected better from the lineup. Not a patch on 21 Guns - Salute.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1899 on: April 02, 2014, 11:07:27 AM »
I thought the LRS album was a letdown. AOR by numbers. Nothing standing out. I expected better from the lineup. Not a patch on 21 Guns - Salute.

I need to spin it a few more times - it may well wear off - but I thought it was a cut above the vast majority of project albums - better performances and songwriting.  I didn't expect to like it as much as I did on first listen.  Admittedly the bar is set low these days on new releases (I don't like many) ...........

I found the Overland and HoL to be a lot more "by the numbers" than L.R.S. but they're all nothing that hasn't been done before.  L.R.S. was the only album out of the new releases to crack the 80% barrier on my ratings , with Vanishing Point and Overland not too far behind.   KXM and Gus G didn't float my boat at all.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1900 on: April 02, 2014, 07:55:15 PM »
Agree with you Brent, the first song was great but after that, it was just flat.  A big step down from Big Money.

Haven't got the LRS yet, but looking forward to it. 

I also think the Overland is pretty good.  My first listen was 'meh' but after that it's a grower, some great tracks on there.

I LOVE the Gus G album too.  One of the best of the year IMO.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #1901 on: April 05, 2014, 09:57:45 AM »
Rediscovered an old gem this week:  Hurricane.  Was in Vegas for the week and they were playing with the Geoff Tate version of Queensryche one night so, on a whim, I figured that was a decent evening for $25 since Geoff is playing Mindcrime in its entirety these days along with other QR classics.   :biggrin:

Anyway, Hurricane as the opener was fantastic!!  I forgot how good some of their stuff was back in the 80s.  They've got a new vocalist now (since their original vocalist now sings with Foreigner), but it's still Robert Sarzo on guitar and Tony Cavazo on bass and they were superb!!  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1902 on: April 06, 2014, 03:52:00 AM »
That's the same Hurricane Dough Aldrich was in right?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1903 on: April 06, 2014, 04:12:24 AM »
That's the one. I only have the album he played on, Slave to the Thrill. Not bad. Haven't checked out the first album yet.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1904 on: April 06, 2014, 04:59:01 AM »
That's the one. I only have the album he played on, Slave to the Thrill. Not bad. Haven't checked out the first album yet.

You've probably got all you need there Blob. The 1st was ok, the 2nd better but not a patch on STTT. The 4th (Liquifury) was crap.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1905 on: April 08, 2014, 04:56:03 AM »
Fuck Timo, you are just not doing it for me anymore.  Same, boring generic shit.  But man, I never really realised how damn sexy Floor is. 

Please someone keep this man away from Allen/Lande.  Magnus Karlsson would shit out a better sounding album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to8Uf3nUJoE&feature=player_embedded

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1906 on: April 08, 2014, 05:57:32 AM »
That Avalon song: Though it's pretty much what I expected from him.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1907 on: April 08, 2014, 06:54:51 AM »
I've decided months ago I won't bother buying or listening to anything from new Avalon, but I think I'll watch it when I'm home just because of Floor. :)

edit: Listened to it, yeah, nothing spectacular. Very boring, I dunno why Floor agreed to sing on this actually.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 10:59:42 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1908 on: April 08, 2014, 08:06:51 AM »
Pretty bland, but better than anything from Avalon I - though that's not saying much.

And I've always known how smokin Floor is. :drool:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1909 on: April 08, 2014, 10:46:11 AM »
Hmm. I guess it was ok, nothing more than that. Didn't exactly test Floor at all and wasted her voice really. Anyone could have sung that.
She's not the prettiest but she's certainly hot.
Last year's video with Elize Ryd was better  :heart :heart :heart

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1910 on: April 08, 2014, 12:19:13 PM »
Floor's barely out of 1st gear there - shit song and not right for her either. 

Here's another rather proggy song off the new Winger - I like the idea of them doing something like this but not sure there's enough going on in a melodic sense (like most prog then  ;D  ).  Might be a grower though.  I think I'm going to like this new album but not as much as Karma/Pull.

https://www.guitarworld.com/exclusive-winger-premiere-tin-soldier-music-video

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1911 on: April 08, 2014, 01:46:45 PM »
Floor's barely out of 1st gear there - shit song and not right for her either. 

Here's another rather proggy song off the new Winger - I like the idea of them doing something like this but not sure there's enough going on in a melodic sense (like most prog then  ;D  ).  Might be a grower though.  I think I'm going to like this new album but not as much as Karma/Pull.

I enjoyed that. Sounds like a decent album so far. Last two haven't blown me away but have been decent.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1912 on: April 08, 2014, 01:51:04 PM »
Do grown men really listen to Winger?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1913 on: April 08, 2014, 04:23:03 PM »

Yes.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1914 on: April 08, 2014, 04:26:59 PM »

I actually thought this was pretty damn cool.  Album definitely sounds like it's gonna be a grower and need time, but I think it will pay off.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1915 on: April 08, 2014, 05:02:24 PM »
wow that new Winger tune is pretty damn good.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1916 on: April 08, 2014, 08:21:28 PM »

You should direct your attention to the wrestling thread TAC  ;D  I think Winger's modern day output is about as mature as that style gets.  Some of their older stuff , before Pull , I struggle with a bit .

I don't know if anyone checked the interview I linked to above but I found one thing quite funny -  the interviewer asked Kip if they found it hard to play Seventeen these days and he commented on how their chops are still good and they can play anything.  That's not what the question meant :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 08:26:47 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1917 on: April 09, 2014, 01:09:25 AM »

Sounds pretty good, though a tad repetitious with that main riff. This album is looking promising so far though.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1918 on: April 09, 2014, 08:48:58 AM »
if anyone's interested in Gotthard I just got through my first listen of their newie and initial response is "meh!"

Solid stuff and Nic does a good job but for me the magic is gone and the songs aren't there for the most part.  Not a patch on G, Domino Effect, Lipservice.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1919 on: April 09, 2014, 08:51:56 AM »
G was the album I gave up on Gotthard. :lol The first two albums are the only ones I like at all.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1920 on: April 09, 2014, 08:55:58 AM »
That'd be right  ;D  The debut is a classic but I wasn't that rapt in Dial Hard which I think was the 2nd........I think half of G is fantastic and after that they went too soft and lost their mojo - they won me back with Lipservice (Live In Switzerland shows those songs much better) and Domino Effect and from there they've lost me again.    When they were good though they were bloody good

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1921 on: April 09, 2014, 09:02:25 AM »
Yeah, Dial Hard was the second one. I didn't like it as much as the first one, but it still had a fair share of good stuff on it. After that, the 90s rot started to set in. :P

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1922 on: April 09, 2014, 09:05:21 AM »
Don't tell me you don't like In The Name??  (from G)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFhgDEsprhY&feature=kp

HUGE song - I used to use it as a "stereo tester"

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1923 on: April 09, 2014, 09:12:35 AM »
That was pretty good. Maybe I gave up on the album before I ever got to that track.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1924 on: April 09, 2014, 09:23:08 AM »
Looks like you missed the "good half" I was talking about - most of which is after half way (too many songs on it).

Here's another that could easily have made it onto the debut.

Ride On

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_7lws80HCc&feature=kp

www.theguitardojo.com.au