Author Topic: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Post-Roulette Playlist)  (Read 115910 times)

Offline HOF

This might be the hardest round yet for me. Will have to think of something unpleasant to send you.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I know what I'm zeroing in on.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
OK, and perhaps this is addressed elsewhere, but is this one song or 15 minutes ?

15 minutes. 

Do we need to prove the artist fits the genre?  I look at 'Britpop' and see it as more an time period era than a defined sound - a whole bunch of different acts were labelled it.  I mean even to two big Britpop acts Blur and Oasis sound completely different.  If Sgt Peppers was released in 95 it would have been called a Britpop album! 

Yeah, some of these are arguably not really genres per se, but it's listed as one on Rate Your Music, so I'm just going by whether the albums/songs are voted as such there. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
It's just a stand-in for any genre "avant-garde" is affixed to.  Avant-garde jazz, avant-prog, and avant-garde metal are the most common ones.

I've already sent you avant-garde metal in this roulette and it got a 7/10, doesn't seem that risky. :lol

Lethean scored quite well with Arcturus earlier in the roulette (though the specific songs he sent were voted by RYM as prog metal rather than avant-garde), and Ram-Zet that I sent to Crow was voted avant-garde metal, so there is certainly music I like in the style, but they tend to be the exception rather than the rule in my experience. 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
OK, and perhaps this is addressed elsewhere, but is this one song or 15 minutes ?

15 minutes. 

Do we need to prove the artist fits the genre?  I look at 'Britpop' and see it as more an time period era than a defined sound - a whole bunch of different acts were labelled it.  I mean even to two big Britpop acts Blur and Oasis sound completely different.  If Sgt Peppers was released in 95 it would have been called a Britpop album! 

Yeah, some of these are arguably not really genres per se, but it's listed as one on Rate Your Music, so I'm just going by whether the albums/songs are voted as such there.

Ok gotcha.

So if it's 15 minutes do all the songs have to be from the same artist or can it be different artists as long as they are defined by the same genre?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
One artist. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I should also note that on RYM for albums that have more ratings you will often be able to click the check mark to the far right of the screen for genres to see the vote breakdown by track, which is useful for albums that are more stylistically all over the place.

I am having trouble figuring this out. I click the checkmark next to the genre and I have to agree to some thing, but I don't see tracklistings and corresponding genres.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 03:57:25 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I hope you don't have to have an account and be logged in to see it.  Can you see this page and click on the songs on the left (you might have to scroll down below the fold)? 

https://rateyourmusic.com/rgenre/set?album_id=4613378

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
We're not sending for this round just yet are we?

I'll probably go the hardcore punk route, or possibly post-hardcore.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
No, I'm just giving everyone extra time to think about it and ask questions since it'll be the trickiest round to figure out what acceptable submissions are. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I hope you don't have to have an account and be logged in to see it.  Can you see this page and click on the songs on the left (you might have to scroll down below the fold)? 

OK, gotcha. I think there was one step to where I was and to where you are. I got it now. If an album is all over the place, you want the targeted genre as either the top of 2nd highest rated genre. In other words, for example, if I was sending Black Metal, that would have to be what most users rated it.

In our PM's, we should identify the genre we're going for?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Hard mode seems like my thing :tup
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

OK, gotcha. I think there was one step to where I was and to where you are. I got it now. If an album is all over the place, you want the targeted genre as either the top of 2nd highest rated genre. In other words, for example, if I was sending Black Metal, that would have to be what most users rated it.

Well, as long as it's a bolded primary genre, it doesn't matter if there are multiple other primaries or secondaries.  I'm just trying to avoid situations where the majority of an album is an eligible genre, but people send tracks that are wildly different, just to prevent too much gaming of the system.

Sure, though this will be probably be the first and only round where I'll need to do a slight bit of research before my initial listens, just to make sure it looks like it should count. 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 07:05:23 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
this is just one song right?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Well, as long as it's a bolded primary genre, it doesn't matter if there are multiple secondaries.  I'm just trying to avoid situations where the majority of an album is an eligible genre, but people send tracks that are wildly different, just to prevent too much gaming of the system.

Sure, though this will be probably be the first and only round where I'll need to do a slight bit of research before my initial listens, just to make sure it looks like it should count. 

Gotcha!

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Nightmare Mode - harsh noise, power electronics

*automatic + 0.75 to your score for the round for selecting one of these

Sacul, your time is now!
:2metal:

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
this is just one song right?

15 minutes. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
oh okay good  :corn

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Litho, did you get my PM? Can you let me know if my submission has been accepted or do you still have to double check the genres? PM me when you can..

Also, Impressions?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Yeah, I saw it.  For R10 I'm probably gonna need to give each entry a cursory listen to make sure I can officially approve them, but I should be able to do that a bit later tonight on yours. 

I have drafts of the impressions but I'm not happy with a few, should hopefully have something slightly less mediocre by Saturday. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :tup

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Do subgenres of the genres you listed for Round 10 count? e.g. Emo -> Screamo, Indie Rock -> Slowcore?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Do subgenres of the genres you listed for Round 10 count? e.g. Emo -> Screamo, Indie Rock -> Slowcore?

Only if they rhyme.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

It'll have to be on a case-by-case basis, but generally, yes. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
WTF is Slowcore??

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
WTF is Slowcore??

The opposite of Too Fast Too Furious-core.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
It's the opposite of grindcore.  Started by the band Glacier Life. 

So I suspect this will be lower scoring than the mystery song rounds, just like the other two open rounds have been so far, but we'll see.  Two artists I really liked right off the bat, some others with potential.  I have a slightly different idea for comparisons this time, I'll see if I can pull it off on a later day.  Here are early impressions for now. 

Round 9 Early Impressions:

1:  This is exactly what I expected from them, but it's quite well done, so it could work. 

2:  They have a rather unusual hybrid approach between a few genres, but I keep wanting them to take it in certain directions that they might not intend to go in. 

3:  soupytwist - Camera Obscura - Maybe I do like some happier, upbeat music after all. 

4:  Killer drumming, but there's just a messiness to this style of guitar playing that doesn't usually appeal to me, and oh yeah, those vocals...*mutters*

5:  HOF - The Week That Was - All these overlapping and interlocking layers are really unique and fascinating, the question is how well I'll remember them. 

6:  ariich - Submotion Orchestra - This is a really chill and intoxicating mixture of styles. 

7:  As I suspected from the songs I've sampled in the past, this mashup works better than it should on paper, though I'm unsure how much staying power these particular tunes will have. 

8:  TAC - Circus of Fools - Now this is the kind of band that seems custom-made for me. 

9:  Good grief the chorus on the first song is addicting.  I'm not so sure about the second tune though. 

10:  I'm not sure there's quite enough happening over the runtime for me, though the ending of the second song might elevate it a bit. 

11:  Crow - East of the Wall - This is definitely better than I feared it might be, though the vocals and noodliness might put a cap on the level it can reach. 

12:  SoundscapeMN - Ours - I didn't realize that U2 and The Tea Party did an album together. 

13:  Man, I feel like I'm 14 again. 

14:  It's kind of repetitive, but the vibe is trippy and cool, so let's see how much it grows on me. 

15:  There are some really nice elements scattered throughout these songs, but they aren't prominent enough, and this is still a style that's quite challenging to consistently pull off the way I'd like to hear it. 

16:  The bass and drum grooves are pretty tasty, but I wish the guitars were a bit weightier, and I'll probably continue to struggle with this vocal style. 

17:  Here we have a better example of how to execute a genre I typically haven't cared for. 

18:  My tastes in this broad style are mostly frozen decades ago, and this might be a bit abstract an update for me, but there are certainly some piquant traits that could blossom. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 06:24:51 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I can usually spot my impressions, but I really can't here. I'll start with these and then narrow it down from here.

I know this grouping is large but can you at least confirm if mine is in here?

1:  This is exactly what I expected from them, but it's quite well done, so it could work. 

2:  They have a rather unusual hybrid approach between a few genres, but I keep wanting them to take it in certain directions that they might not intend to go in. 

4:  Killer drumming, but there's just a messiness to this style of guitar playing that doesn't usually appeal to me, and oh yeah, those vocals...*mutters*

5:  All these overlapping and interlocking layers are really unique and fascinating, the question is how well I'll remember them. 

7:  As I suspected from the songs I've sampled in the past, this mashup works better than it should on paper, though I'm unsure how much staying power these particular tunes will have. 

8:  Now this is the kind of band that seems custom-made for me.   

15:  There are some really nice elements scattered throughout these songs, but they aren't prominent enough, and this is still a style that's quite challenging to consistently pull off the way I'd like to hear it. 

16:  The bass and drum grooves are pretty tasty, but I wish the guitars were a bit weightier, and I'll probably continue to struggle with this vocal style. 

Offline HOF

Guessing 5 to start.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Yep, and yes to TAC. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
just gonna shoot my shot on #16 tbh

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yep, and yes to TAC.

OK.. Hmm..

I'll try 2 positive and 2 negative..

8:  Now this is the kind of band that seems custom-made for me.   

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Updated TAC's. 

just gonna shoot my shot on #16 tbh

Not quite, but you're getting warm...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Updated TAC's. 

I can't help but feel there's a bit "but..." coming. :lol

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
I try 3.