Author Topic: Post Yur Piture Thead v. Surfin' Bird  (Read 456391 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Post Yur Piture Thead v. Surfin' Bird
« Reply #7210 on: May 06, 2024, 08:11:36 PM »
Great post hef :tup

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #7211 on: May 06, 2024, 08:38:04 PM »
This is true.
Because that's not eating or enjoying.  What you suggested is not a thing.

A premium cigar (as opposed to convenience-store cigars) is a handmade, artisanal, agricultural product.  Much care goes into the curation and selection of various tobaccos, from various regions, and the blending of them into a smokeable product.

Smoking is a ritual.  From the selection of the cigar itself (either from personal knowledge/experience or the help of a tobacconist), to the selection of the cutter to use, to making the cut, then using your lighter to toast the foot of the cigar, then fully lighting it and taking the first full draw.

You draw the smoke into your mouth, hold it briefly, then blow it out.  If you want (depending on how experienced or devoted to it you are), you can analyze the flavor notes you get out of it, much like wine or whisky enthusiasts.  You can also notice the other sensations you can experience, such as coolness of smoke, pepper spices, thickness (chewiness) or thinness of the smoke itself, and a host of other things.  Those can all be enhanced with the right pairing liquid.  Those can also be enhanced by a technique called "retrohaling" (blowing the smoke out through your nose instead of your mouth), because there are a ton of receptors in the nasal passage; however, that technique doesn't come easily to people who never smoked cigarettes or marijuana before.  It was tough for me to pick up.

As you continue in your cigar history, you begin to learn what kind of flavors to associate with different wrappers (the outer layer of tobacco) or what kind of flavors to associate with binder or filler tobaccos, or tobacco from certain regions (such as Esteli or Jalapa in Nicaragua, for example).  You can also learn to favor blends from certain cigar manufacturers over others (just like with any other product).

A key point of smoking a cigar (again, part of the ritual) is the time involved.  If you are taking an hour to smoke a cigar, that means you have an hour available to smoke a cigar.  It is a luxury, it is good time.  This time can be enhanced by good music, good conversation, or maybe something to read, but most all, relaxing and not working.  Enjoy your hour.

If I'm smoking at home alone, I love to put on some jazz and catch up on reading.  I also love smoking with company, because smoking conversation is always good.  But that's just me.

Being married, I have learned the art of the cigar clean-up.  After I'm done smoking, I go inside, brush my teeth/use mouthwash, and wash my beard thoroughly.  I also often change shirts afterward.

They should name this emoji after you because of this post  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #7212 on: May 07, 2024, 11:18:38 AM »
Great post, I feel the same way about smoking weed. The ritual is special
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7213 on: May 08, 2024, 08:48:17 PM »
Thank you for that post, Hef. That was very insightful for this non-smoker (who thinks that cigar smoke is one of the most hideous odors on the planet haha!) I will say that as a kid I hoped I would grow up to be a cigar smoker, just so I could be like Hannibal from The A-Team.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7214 on: May 09, 2024, 09:34:31 AM »
Thank you for that post, Hef. That was very insightful for this non-smoker (who thinks that cigar smoke is one of the most hideous odors on the planet haha!) I will say that as a kid I hoped I would grow up to be a cigar smoker, just so I could be like Hannibal from The A-Team.
:lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7215 on: May 09, 2024, 09:36:33 AM »

Yeah, as an italian kid who's father would smoke cigars as it was kind of a common thing to see at family gatherings and large social events... but like you, I just couldn't take the smoke.  Also, smoking a cigar can look bad ass  :lol

Great post, I feel the same way about smoking weed. The ritual is special

Yeah, there's some similarities there and this is something more up my alley personally.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7216 on: May 10, 2024, 03:26:08 PM »
Hitting the Orange Line in Boston heading towards the B's/Panthers game.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7217 on: May 10, 2024, 03:32:21 PM »
Nice, have fun

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7218 on: May 10, 2024, 03:34:01 PM »
Hitting the Orange Line in Boston heading towards the B's/Panthers game.

Lisa looks….different?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7219 on: May 10, 2024, 04:08:56 PM »
lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7220 on: May 10, 2024, 04:41:57 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7221 on: May 13, 2024, 07:48:01 AM »
GANGSTA