Author Topic: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan  (Read 62480 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan
« Reply #595 on: May 23, 2016, 01:47:18 PM »
They also cover Parasite.  Every time Anthrax covers a Kiss song, it is clean out of the fucking ballpark.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #596 on: May 23, 2016, 01:49:42 PM »
I dig the Extreme version and Gary has that spot on line sounds just like Paul Stanley.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #597 on: May 23, 2016, 01:54:16 PM »
Yeah, kinda.  It came off a little smarmy and loungy for me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #598 on: May 23, 2016, 02:10:00 PM »
They also cover Parasite.  Every time Anthrax covers a Kiss song, it is clean out of the fucking ballpark.

Yes, Parasite too. I agree.

sounds just like Paul Stanley.

I assume you've heard Fred Toucher do Paul right? I freaking crack up hysterically every time I hear him.

This is the only clip I could find.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc-YxdjVXnI
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #599 on: May 23, 2016, 02:21:50 PM »
I love his Paul Stanley rants. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #600 on: May 23, 2016, 03:47:59 PM »

I assume you've heard Fred Toucher do Paul right? I freaking crack up hysterically every time I hear him.

This is the only clip I could find.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc-YxdjVXnI

"Ah luv the big BOOBIES!"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #601 on: May 23, 2016, 03:56:55 PM »
You just can't do the Paul "shimmy" when you do his voice. Boy, you get a few looks. :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #602 on: May 24, 2016, 08:14:37 AM »
Hey, if "we need a friggin' break, Stads" is the right answer, so be it, I can take it, but anyone interested in another discography?  I really enjoyed that, particularly revisiting some of the albums I haven't heard in a while.

I figure a band with about 15 albums.   Not sure who I would do; thinking maybe Cheap Trick (CT has 17, plus Found All The Parts)?  AC/DC?   Sabbath (19)?   Ozzy solo (11)?   Purple?  Rainbow? 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #603 on: May 24, 2016, 08:18:42 AM »
VH = 12

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #604 on: May 24, 2016, 08:20:12 AM »
I'm down for most of these suggestions, although I'd rather a list in chronological order than by ranking.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #605 on: May 24, 2016, 08:26:46 AM »
I second that.  For those of us not well versed in a band's entire catalog, going through the albums by ranking is pretty similar to just jumping randomly around.  I was a big KISS fan early on, but have strayed, and I was really looking forward to a sense of the evolution of the band's sound and attitudes along with the personnel changes and changes in the musical landscape, and we really didn't get that here.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #606 on: May 24, 2016, 08:27:55 AM »
It's funny.  Cheap Trick is one of those bands that, for whatever reason, I've never had a great appreciation for.  I know tons of people love them (especially older KISS fans).  To me, they've always been just "meh".

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #607 on: May 24, 2016, 08:55:17 AM »
Here's everything chronologically.  Counting the box sets, there's 34 items to discuss.  You can break it out by the originals, the transition years, the non-makeup years, the Alives & Compilations, and finally present day.  Here's what we have (did I miss anything)...what's the best way to do this?
Kiss 
Hotter Than Hell
Dressed To Kill
Alive   
Destroyer
Rock & Roll Over
Love Gun 
Alive II 
Double Platinum
Ace Frehley
Paul Stanley
Gene Simmons 
Peter Criss 
Dynasty
Unmasked 
Music From The Elder 
Killers 
Creatures of the Night
Lick It Up 
Animalize 
Asylum
Crazy Nights
Smashes Thrashes & Hits
Hot In The Shade
Revenge
Alive III
Kiss My Ass
MTV Unplugged
Carnival of Souls 
Psycho Circus
The Box Set
KISS Symphony: Alive IV
KISS Alive Box Set
Sonic Boom 
Monster
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 09:26:51 AM by dtvoices94 »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #608 on: May 24, 2016, 08:59:17 AM »
I'm really tempted to do a "Y&T Discography - My Life As a Y&T Fan" thread.  But no one would care.  :'(
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #609 on: May 24, 2016, 09:21:45 AM »
Here's everything chronologically.  Counting the box sets, there's 34 items to discuss.  You can break it out by the originals, the transition years, the non-makeup years, the Alives & Compilations, and finally present day.  Here's what we have (did I miss anything)...what's the best way to do this?
Kiss 
Hotter Than Hell
Dressed To Kill
Alive   
Destroyer
Rock & Roll Over
Love Gun 
Alive II 
Double Platinum
Ace Frehley
Paul Stanley
Gene Simmons 
Peter Criss 
Dynasty
Unmasked 
Music From The Elder 
Killers 
Creatures of the Night
Lick It Up 
Animalize 
Asylum
Crazy Nights
Smashes Thrashes & Hits
Hot In The Shade
Revenge
Alive III
Kiss My Ass
Carnival of Souls 
Psycho Circus
The Box Set
KISS Symphony: Alive IV
KISS Alive Box Set
Sonic Boom 
Monster
KISS Unplugged is the only thing missing I can think of at first glance. 

Considering KISS isn't really a part of the KISS My Ass, it would probably be best to leave it out.  And, the Alive boxset is just a collection of the various Alive releases, right?

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #610 on: May 24, 2016, 09:30:16 AM »

KISS Unplugged is the only thing missing I can think of at first glance. 

Considering KISS isn't really a part of the KISS My Ass, it would probably be best to leave it out.  And, the Alive boxset is just a collection of the various Alive releases, right?

I added the MTV Unplugged.  How did I forget such a monumental moment in KISStory?  The boxset contains the Millennium Concert from Vancouver 12/31/99.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #611 on: May 24, 2016, 09:31:55 AM »

It also includes a live show from the Psycho Circus tour that I think was going to be Alive IV, but then wasn't released, so that's the only place to get that disc as far as I'm aware.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #612 on: May 24, 2016, 09:49:04 AM »
I think that list is excellent. 

I would be happy to do things in chronological order.  I just went with the ranking because I didn't know better.  I'm not writing this for my health, it's to entertain.  I can always give a ranking as well on the side (or after). 

Your call.  But it's fun for me to write this stuff and as I said, it's cool to revisit albums I haven't heard from in a while. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #613 on: May 24, 2016, 10:17:25 AM »
I'm really tempted to do a "Y&T Discography - My Life As a Y&T Fan" thread.  But no one would care.  :'(

Hey I'd be with ya  :biggrin:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #614 on: May 24, 2016, 10:22:14 AM »
So let's talk about the Kiss My Ass album.  I remember when it first came out, my friend and I, being big into Kiss, expected this album of heavy hitting, hard rocking Kiss covers, given the artists that were participating.  Imagine our surprise when we got done listening to it at what a departure it was from what we expected.  The only song on the album that was what you would expect was Anthrax' cover of She, which kicked ass.  I really wasn't all that amused with the covers, at the time.  I thought Toad The Wet Sprocket's cover of Rock and Roll All Nite was straight up blasphemous shit and that they should all look into new careers at the Department of Transportation or something.  Anything but musicians.  I also thought that the guy from Mighty Mighty Bosstones had the stupidest singing voice I'd ever heard.  Extreme pulled out a very odd funky rendition of Strutter, despite being one of the bands I expected to rock the hell out of it.  Gin Blossoms came off REALLY good (I don't usually... well some times..), Lemonheads came off pretty decent.  Hell, despite hating country, I even liked Garth's rendition of Hard Luck Woman.

I hadn't been listening to Kiss as long (at the time) as most Kiss fans I knew had.  I only started getting into them around the time of the release of Hot in the Shade.  So when I heard some of these renditions, it was hard for me to accept them, given my relatively newfound love and devotion to the originals.  So I listened to most of it again today and found that for the covers I may not have cared for to begin with, I like them better now than I did when it was released.  I can even stomach TTWS's cover of RARAN.  I really like the Bosstone's cover of Detroit Rock City, with the horn instrumentation.  It's really pretty damn cool, but that singer still grates on my nerves.  The Gin Blossoms' cover of C16 is still fantastic.  Lenny's cover of Deuce still bores the hell out of me.  The instrumentation on Goin' Blind seems a little muddy-ish to me, but that might just be how the band sounds, I am not familiar with anything else from them.  There is a GREAT guitar solo on that track and it's a Hotter than Hell deep cut, so I like it for that alone.  :lol 

So my faves from the album are She, Christine Sixteen, and Plaster Caster.  I guess that makes sense, as those are probably the most straight ahead renditions.

Pretty awful album. The only track I would say I liked was Yoshiki's orchestral version of Black Diamond. And the Anthrax and Garth Brooks were good too.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #615 on: May 24, 2016, 10:27:38 AM »

:lol  Yeah, we'd have a SMALL handful.  I wouldn't mind doing it, but it would be a chore to keep the interest of the few.  Problem is, they have a LOT of material.  But most consider their golden age to have been in the '80s and don't know or care about any of the other material.  So whether I go chronologically or by rank, once we get past the '80s material, I would lose a good chunk of an already very small audience.  I dunno.  I might do it just for fun anyway.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #616 on: May 24, 2016, 10:40:46 AM »

:lol  Yeah, we'd have a SMALL handful.  I wouldn't mind doing it, but it would be a chore to keep the interest of the few.  Problem is, they have a LOT of material.  But most consider their golden age to have been in the '80s and don't know or care about any of the other material.  So whether I go chronologically or by rank, once we get past the '80s material, I would lose a good chunk of an already very small audience.  I dunno.  I might do it just for fun anyway.
They're one of those bands I've always been curious about but never really looked into.  So, I'd definitely check it out.  Dave Meniketti did a great podcast with Dean Delray last summer.  It was like 2 hours of him going over the band's history.  If you're a fan of the band, I'd recommend looking for it.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #617 on: May 24, 2016, 10:43:41 AM »

They're one of those bands I've always been curious about but never really looked into.  So, I'd definitely check it out.  Dave Meniketti did a great podcast with Dean Delray last summer.  It was like 2 hours of him going over the band's history.  If you're a fan of the band, I'd recommend looking for it.

It's true that nothing has grabbed me after Ten, but worth revisiting without the expectation I had going in to those albums.
Always worth seeing live. Such a great band live. Last saw them a few years ago in a sweaty club in Manchester. They totally blew the place up.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #618 on: May 24, 2016, 11:19:35 AM »
Hey, if "we need a friggin' break, Stads" is the right answer, so be it, I can take it, but anyone interested in another discography?  I really enjoyed that, particularly revisiting some of the albums I haven't heard in a while.

I figure a band with about 15 albums.   Not sure who I would do; thinking maybe Cheap Trick (CT has 17, plus Found All The Parts)?  AC/DC?   Sabbath (19)?   Ozzy solo (11)?   Purple?  Rainbow?
I don't really care about any of those groups very much, but I would follow it because I like your writing and everyone else's comments.

Same with bosky and Y&T.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #619 on: May 24, 2016, 11:22:05 AM »
Okay...done.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #620 on: May 24, 2016, 11:24:23 AM »
 :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #621 on: May 24, 2016, 11:37:36 AM »
I think that list is excellent. 

I would be happy to do things in chronological order.  I just went with the ranking because I didn't know better.  I'm not writing this for my health, it's to entertain.  I can always give a ranking as well on the side (or after). 

Your call.  But it's fun for me to write this stuff and as I said, it's cool to revisit albums I haven't heard from in a while.

How about album by album (from KISS to Monster) and we can all chime in?  I can talk endlessly about KISS.  I vote for ranking them at the end.  I enjoyed the write ups when you did your list.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #622 on: May 24, 2016, 11:40:26 AM »
It's funny.  Cheap Trick is one of those bands that, for whatever reason, I've never had a great appreciation for.  I know tons of people love them (especially older KISS fans).  To me, they've always been just "meh".

On Samsara's site a few years ago, I buddied up with a Cheap Trick lover. He walked me through the first few Cheap Trick albums, and I did the same with Alice Cooper for him. It was a fun exercise, but I'm with you. At the end of the day, they just don't really do a lot for me. I did see them live around '87ish and it was cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #623 on: May 24, 2016, 01:47:59 PM »
I'm a big Cheap Trick guy.  Their new album is awesome.

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #624 on: May 24, 2016, 02:06:22 PM »
I have At Budokan and am familiar with the radio staples.  I also liked the 1997 S/T...what would be considered "essential" Cheap Trick for a novice?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #625 on: May 24, 2016, 02:09:25 PM »
what would be considered "essential" Cheap Trick for a novice?

Y & T! ;D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #626 on: May 24, 2016, 02:16:14 PM »
I have At Budokan and am familiar with the radio staples.  I also liked the 1997 S/T...what would be considered "essential" Cheap Trick for a novice?

Obviously the first 4 studio albums.  I'm nuts over One On One.  The 1997 ST is excellent and for the newer albums I'd suggest Rockford.

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #627 on: May 24, 2016, 02:22:08 PM »

Obviously the first 4 studio albums.  I'm nuts over One On One.  The 1997 ST is excellent and for the newer albums I'd suggest Rockford.

I'll check those out.  Thanks!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #628 on: May 24, 2016, 02:56:03 PM »

Ahhh... see... this is going to get me to do this.  I know it.  (Though I'll wait for Bosk).    The four are essential, true.   

"One on One" is good, but "All Shook Up" is odder and better. 
"S/T (97)" is very good.
"Rockford" is good, but "The Latest" is better (it actually gets my vote for "top three post-2010 album by a band that everyone thinks had their heyday in the 70's/early 80's).  I LOVE that album.

Also a big fan of "Standing on the Edge". 

I'll check those out.  Thanks!!
[/quote]

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #629 on: May 24, 2016, 03:58:38 PM »
And I think The Latest and SOTE are weak.  Like tastes man. :lol

I like ASU.  It's the middle of the pack for me.