Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 706390 times)

Offline Peter Mc

Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #3955 on: January 06, 2020, 09:34:32 AM »
I did put Avantasia into the search and nothing much came up but found that thread now, thanks. Just thought it might have spilled over into the Queensrÿche thread as well given Tate’s involvement. Anyway it’s a decent album and, like I said, very impressed with Tate’s performance. Based on this alone, I would happily listen to another QR album with him singing, if the songs were any good of course!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3956 on: January 07, 2020, 11:04:34 AM »
This isn’t strictly Queensrÿche but can’t see any mention of the last Avantasia album here which I recently was bought for Christmas. Geoff Tate gets bashed a lot (by me also) here, probably more for his actions than his talent but I have to admit he sounds great on this record, way better than I was expecting him to.

Agree. Seen him live twice in the last couple of years in a pub locally and his voice was in good shape. He didn’t seem to be too much of an arse either.

The question about a new QR album and Tate would have to be who writes it. The last few Tate QR albums were written by him and his mates, not QR. And the Mindcrime albums he’s done continue with that and they are shit. It would have to have the full participation of QR in the writing for me to even bother listening.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3957 on: January 07, 2020, 11:37:03 AM »
This isn’t strictly Queensrÿche but can’t see any mention of the last Avantasia album here which I recently was bought for Christmas. Geoff Tate gets bashed a lot (by me also) here, probably more for his actions than his talent but I have to admit he sounds great on this record, way better than I was expecting him to.

Agree. Seen him live twice in the last couple of years in a pub locally and his voice was in good shape. He didn’t seem to be too much of an arse either.

The question about a new QR album and Tate would have to be who writes it. The last few Tate QR albums were written by him and his mates, not QR. And the Mindcrime albums he’s done continue with that and they are shit. It would have to have the full participation of QR in the writing for me to even bother listening.

But,,,, the "members" of  what is called QR is only Wilton and Jackson and they are both very weak writers and they gave Latorre ful control on the writing, so I dont see how this could really work?  nor would a CD of "whole band writing" is always an illusion w QR, back in the golden era it was really mostly Chris writing with Geoff , around Geoffs gift of a voice.
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3958 on: January 07, 2020, 12:58:59 PM »
Oh yeah, I’m not offering up any solutions here. Just saying that, if he could sing at that level for a whole album, I’d be ok with his vocals on a QR album.  How they’d get over their differences, who could be relied upon to write some decent songs etc. is a completely different question to which I have no answer. I just kind of thought he was past it as a vocalist on this type of material and have been surprised to hear that, at least on record, he isn’t.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3959 on: January 07, 2020, 01:04:13 PM »
They could keep Todd as drummer and back up for those notes Tate Cant reach but I don’t see it happening and don’t really want it to happen either. I’m happy with QR as they are today. A little variety in the writing wouldn’t go amiss, and an epic would be a plus.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3960 on: January 07, 2020, 01:07:41 PM »
Neither band is putting out anything very good lately.  But Queensryche's output overall since the split has been miles above anything with Tate's name on it since at least Q2K.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3961 on: January 07, 2020, 01:10:25 PM »
Neither band is putting out anything very good lately.  But Queensryche's output overall since the split has been miles above anything with Tate's name on it since at least Q2K.
How or why do think could this happen? (for context, I don't consider myself to be a massive QR fan, but I enjoyed everything up until say Promised Land. (and parts of OM2)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3962 on: January 07, 2020, 01:10:57 PM »
I believe both Tate and whats called QR are "done"  Tate Im glad is out having fun and singing, but both camps are done and just paying the bills,,,The DRAMA is better than the music !!!
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3963 on: January 07, 2020, 01:29:31 PM »
I enjoyed Condition Human and The Verdict... not mindblowing records but not bad. Just good Queensryche reminiscent of their glory days
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3964 on: January 07, 2020, 01:33:45 PM »
I enjoyed Condition Human and The Verdict... not mindblowing records but not bad. Just good Queensryche reminiscent of their glory days

I like both of them. I'll tell you that if I went into a coma in 1995, I would've never known there was any singer change.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3965 on: January 07, 2020, 01:55:15 PM »
Hmm...I didn't really care for Verdict.  I'll have to revisit it. 
The DRAMA is better than the music !!!

There hasn't been drama in years.

Just for fun, my Queensryche top 10:
1.  Empire
2.  Promised Land
3.  Mindcrime
4.  Condition Human
5.  Queensryche (2013)
6.  Hear in the Now Frontier
7.  Rage for Order
8.  American Soldier
9.  Warning
10.  Mindcrime II
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3966 on: January 07, 2020, 02:04:42 PM »

I like both of them. I'll tell you that if I went into a coma in 1995, I would've never known there was any singer change.

Same. There are a lot of moments on both of those (I haven't heard the self-titled yet somehow) that made me go "wow, that's SPOT ON Tate" - not easy to do.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3967 on: January 07, 2020, 02:31:49 PM »

1.  Empire
2.  Promised Land
3.  Mindcrime
4.  Condition Human
5.  Queensryche (2013)
7.  Rage for Order
8.  American Soldier
9.  Warning
10.  Mindcrime II

I disagree   the band has still not announced that SRock is long gone and not coming back ( hes not ) and I smell more drama coming  and after that drama ( when it happens) the music will still be luke warm forgettable stuff that will loosly sound like old QR ( because the fans seem to want samey stuff from them tho Tate and Chris hated to do the same stuff)  and to me the NU QR is awful and meaningless and Tate tho talented and driven to me and I know this will not go voer well has not made a catchy good song since FU,,,,I liked FU, I liked the anger and the emotion on it and it had some great songs and to me will go down as the Final QR CD for better or worse,  Latorre is so bad to me ears, I hate everything he touches   and live QR is vapid and juvenile BS now,  Id go see Tate just because hes a legend

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3968 on: January 07, 2020, 02:34:28 PM »
I don't get it... Todd sounds very similar to Tate on the new stuff. I don't get how someone could so strongly dislike him but enjoy Tate, but hey, different strokes.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #3969 on: January 07, 2020, 02:38:25 PM »
Oh look it’s that Geoff Tate fanboy who’s completely biased against new Queensryche.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3970 on: January 07, 2020, 03:51:50 PM »

1.  Empire
2.  Promised Land
3.  Mindcrime
4.  Condition Human
5.  Queensryche (2013)
7.  Rage for Order
8.  American Soldier
9.  Warning
10.  Mindcrime II

I disagree   the band has still not announced that SRock is long gone and not coming back ( hes not ) and I smell more drama coming  and after that drama ( when it happens) the music will still be luke warm forgettable stuff that will loosly sound like old QR ( because the fans seem to want samey stuff from them tho Tate and Chris hated to do the same stuff)  and to me the NU QR is awful and meaningless and Tate tho talented and driven to me and I know this will not go voer well has not made a catchy good song since FU,,,,I liked FU, I liked the anger and the emotion on it and it had some great songs and to me will go down as the Final QR CD for better or worse,  Latorre is so bad to me ears, I hate everything he touches   and live QR is vapid and juvenile BS now,  Id go see Tate just because hes a legend

It's nice to have you post on this forum with us Geoff. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3971 on: January 07, 2020, 03:53:12 PM »
Give our love to Susan.

:susantate:

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3972 on: January 07, 2020, 05:48:56 PM »
My top 10 (if I can get up to 10, we’ll see) is as follows:

Operation:Mindcrime
Empire
Rage For Order
The Warning
Promised Land
Self Titled (the album not the EP)
Condition Human
The Verdict
Q2K
Hear In The Now Frontier

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3973 on: January 07, 2020, 06:29:47 PM »
Sure why not

#1. Promised Land
#2. Operation Mindcrime II
#3. Operation Mindcrime
#4. Empire
#5. Condition Human
#6. Rage For Order
#7. Q2K
#8. Tribe
#9. American Soldier
10. Queensryche 2013

11. The Warning / Queensryche 1983
12. The Verdict
13. Hear In The Now Frontier
14. the other one that doesn't exist
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3974 on: January 07, 2020, 07:17:54 PM »
1. Promised land
2. Mindcrime I
3. Warning
4. Rage for order
5. Debut Self titled
6. Empire
7. Tribe
8. Mindcrime II
9. Condition Human

I rest I have heard in passing but haven't listened to them enough to rank

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3975 on: January 07, 2020, 07:31:28 PM »
1. Warning
2. Operation Mindcrime
3. EP
4. Rage For Order
5. Empire
6. The Verdict
7. Condition Human
8. S/T
9. Hear In The Now Frontier

….everything else...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3976 on: January 07, 2020, 07:45:18 PM »
1. Mindcrime
2. Warning
3. Empire
4. EP
5. Rage For Order
6. Promised Land
7. Tribe
8. Self titled
9. Hear in the Now Frontier
10. Condition Human
11. American Soldier
12. Mindcrime 2
13. The Verdict
14. Q2K
15. Dedicated to Chaos

Offline Lupton

« Reply #3977 on: January 07, 2020, 07:46:25 PM »
Is it possible (in this dimension of reality) to actually think that FU is a better record than any of the 3 records with LaTorre? Isn't that like anti-matter? Just goes to show, different strokes and all...I guess some people just like different things.  :rollin 

Offline Lupton

« Reply #3978 on: January 07, 2020, 07:50:41 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3979 on: January 07, 2020, 07:52:58 PM »
Is it possible (in this dimension of reality) to actually think that FU is a better record than any of the 3 records with LaTorre? Isn't that like anti-matter? Just goes to show, different strokes and all...I guess some people just like different things.  :rollin

Yeah, I guess each to their own, but I gave FU a really good go and tried went in with an open mind.  It's a horrible record.  I don't mind the opening track at all, but the rest is just woeful.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3980 on: January 07, 2020, 08:59:54 PM »

Yeah, I guess each to their own, but I gave FU a really good go and tried went in with an open mind.  It's a horrible record.  I don't mind the opening track at all, but the rest is just woeful.

Yep, same opinion here.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3981 on: January 08, 2020, 01:01:05 AM »
Ranking all the ones I know:

1a. Operation Mindcrime
1b. Empire
1c. Rage For Order
2. The Verdict
3. Condition Human
4. Promised Land
5. Q2K
6. The Warning
7. Queensryche 2013
8. Hear In The Now Frontier
9. EP
10. American Soldier
11. Abomination Mindcrime II
12. Tribe
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3982 on: January 08, 2020, 01:34:23 AM »
The easy part:

1. Operation: mindcrime
2. Promised land
3. Rage for order
4. The Warning
5. Empire

The albums that are good, I guess:

6. Condition human
7. Hear in the now frontier

And then the rest gets difficult. The remaining two LaTorre albums are certainly not bad. There are some fine songs on Tribe and Q2K. American soldier is not to be completely thrown away. Dedicated to chaos, Mindcrime 2 and Frequency unknown might as well not exist.

Offline Freeze

« Reply #3983 on: January 08, 2020, 08:08:46 AM »
1.Operation: Mindcrime
2.Rage For Order
3.Promised Land
4.Empire
5.Condition Human
6.Operation: Mindcrime II
7.Tribe
8.Selftitled
9.The Verdict
10.Hear In The Now Frontier
11.Warning
12.American Soldier
13.Ep
14.Q2K
15.Dedicated To Chaos

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3984 on: January 08, 2020, 08:40:36 AM »
1. Operation: Mindcrime
2. The Warning
3. Promised Land
4. Rage for Order
5. Empire
6. Tribe (original lineup tracks only) - Open, Desert Dance, Falling Behind, Art of Life, Doin Fine, Justified
7. EP
8. Hear in the Now Frontier

The rest:

1. American Soldier
2. Queensryche 2013
3. Q2k
4. Condition Human

The below, to me, just have echoes of the Queensryche sound:

5. The Verdict (not a bad record at all, just in the annals of Queensryche, it doesn't sound a lot like them)
6. Operation: Mindcrime II
7. Dedicated to Chaos

>>>>I don't consider F.U. to be a Queensryche record, despite what it is labeled as. Some promising tunes on it though.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 08:49:09 AM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3985 on: January 08, 2020, 08:44:48 AM »
Oh look it’s that Geoff Tate fanboy who’s completely biased against new Queensryche.

Or just an objective real fan of the band since 1982 , whart did I say that was wrong or overly Tate loving, and yea I think  most people only know Tate as QR and QR as w Tate, like Bruce w Maiden or Judas w Rob

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3986 on: January 08, 2020, 08:45:49 AM »

1.  Empire
2.  Promised Land
3.  Mindcrime
4.  Condition Human
5.  Queensryche (2013)
7.  Rage for Order
8.  American Soldier
9.  Warning
10.  Mindcrime II

It's nice to have you post on this forum with us Geoff.

My pleasure    shall we continue?

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3987 on: January 08, 2020, 08:49:53 AM »

To me its not even close  FU has real emotion and feel,,I actually love 5 song on it,,, I was impressed in many ways,, why would I like a solo Latorre CD under the QR moniker?  none of his songs move me at all, they sound like bad Stryper for kids and the band is so limited in talent.  I dont get why anyone would like NU QR, its total tripe

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3988 on: January 08, 2020, 08:54:56 AM »

Or just an objective real fan of the band since 1982

Nothing about your posts demonstrates any objectivity whatsoever.  I don't think you understand what that words means.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3989 on: January 08, 2020, 08:58:17 AM »

Or just an objective real fan of the band since 1982

Nothing about your posts demonstrates any objectivity whatsoever.  I don't think you understand what that words means.

why  because I think Latorre sucks? has a rancid BS voice? and Tate is QR?  watching Nu QR live is so bad they should not have the QR name ,,, growls and blood, water drinking,,,shrieking off key and head bangin is not QR and Scotts not even on the last NU QR album and the drums are not up to par, if Tate had the QR name it would be lights out for Wilton and Jackson as nobody has ever gone to show to see those two, and nobody knew of Latorre until he was 40 years old and replacing Tate, its not like they got a great singer to replace Tate,  3/5 of the band is gone .  Tate alone to me is HALF of QR solo ( Chris being the other half ) and after that Scott is the most missed and his skill was part of the what made QRs sound unique  , Wilton has no style nor Jackson, those 2 objectively would be the easiest to replace as we see Tate do with ease .  Chris and Tate are QR period ( especially with Scott gone ) IMO

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 09:27:41 AM by EPICVIEW »