Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 913230 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
That's the one I have I'm pretty sure, the self titled.  I should go back and spin it again then.

It's a solid album. Not one of the best recent rock albums, but worth another chance.

And listen to Whisky Fingers dammit.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll probably order it first, as I definitely want to buy it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Good man. :hat

Offline Lowdz

Good, a wolfking friendly playlist with no surprises.  :biggrin:

Damn, Ready to Strike by King Kobra was amazing.  Another band I never really got into.  I have one of their albums from just a few years ago, but it was ordinary.  Gotta get into the Mark Free stuff.

I've heard bits and pieces of KK over the years but nothing that grabbed me. That track is awesome and I didn't recognise it. Will listen to the 2nd half later.
Great job. Might send a request in for the next one. Thanks for the name check - I feel famous  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Going to blind purchase it based on your liking of the album.  :hat

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Going to blind purchase it based on your liking of the album.  :hat

Making a music purchasing decision based on my opinion? You must be brave. :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Revolution Saints..................Blood Red Saints.................next up Resurrection Kings.   Their project naming department is as stale as half of the music  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Revolution Saints..................Blood Red Saints.................next up Resurrection Kings.   Their project naming department is as stale as half of the music  ;D

They clearly need to stick a fresh batch of words into the Frontiers random band name generator. :lol

I am actually looking forward to the Resurrection Kings album being decent when it comes out though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah , it's certainly got potential.   Jake E Lee should've kept Chas West for Red Dragon Carousel.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah , it's certainly got potential.   Jake E Lee should've kept Chas West for Red Dragon Carousel.

yeah, Chas was clearly the best out of the 28 singers that have been in RDC.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Yep. It's a shame Jake E Lee can't get it together, because I reckon he's still got it in him to make a good album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Yep. It's a shame Jake E Lee can't get it together, because I reckon he's still got it in him to make a good album.

He does, as long as it's not with RDC.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Still nutting through Brent's podcast with just the half an hour or so I have at the moment at night.

That Saidian was pretty decent too.  I noticed the Tobi influnece right away, old school Tobi influence that is. 

That Timo Tolkki comment was gold.

That Ryche track was pretty good.  Better than the bonus track we got on the cd IMO.

Ben's got some good taste in music for a young fella.

Offline Lowdz

Just finished the Ben Show podcast. Great work again.
Enjoyed the Queensryche bonus track but I guess it wouldn't have added anything to the album. Both bonus tracks I've now heard were pretty good.
The Saidian track was good.

And Brent, you're going to have to dig the guitar out to teach Ben if he's going to be digging Paul Gilbert  :biggrin:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks guys -  I thought the Condition Human track I played on the show was clearly the better of the two in the deluxe vinyl edition , so you guys have now heard all that is worth hearing IMO.

I have the next show very roughly planned out and expect to have the editing/mixing/talking done before Xmas.  If you want something played on it ,now would be the time.

Had anyone heard that Van Halen demo before?  And speaking of VH the talk is getting stronger about Roth out/Hagar being at least talked to. 

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I haven't heard anything about the VH rumour. Is Eddie and Dave fighting again?? It seems like Eddie dislikes both Dave and Sammy, and he picks would he dislikes the least to sing for him

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't think there is any more dislike than usual with Roth and EVH - they "get along" these days but keep their distance to make sure it stays that way.

There's just too many tidbits floating around at the moment for it not to mean something:

- talk that Roth's contract has ended and won't be renewed
- Eddie has been quoted as saying he is resurrecting the Steinberger guitars and "wants to play those songs again".  Those guitars were used around 86 for songs like Summer Nights

- Eddie Trunk (big grain of salt) has reported that there is some sort of cooling of the situation between Ed and Sammy

We'll see ........and I wasted sooooooo much time on unsubstantiated VH rumours in the 2000's that I eventually gave up on them but it does seem that something is up , even if it's early days.  Sammy isn't getting any younger so they best hurry up.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 05:40:43 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Maybe a completely new singer is what Van Halen needs. The drama with these guys is ridiculous. Funny, but ridiculous

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Listening to the podcast.

What a great Y&T tune.
Haven't heard Night Songs in AGES!

Never heard the VH demo. We Die BOLD? WTF? :lol
Musically it's not bad. I can see why it didn't make the album!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent is neck and neck with Dee Snider for playing the best tunes!!!

And I know VH tried unsuccessfully in the 90s with Gary, but that seemed like a more unforgiving era for new singers coming into established bands. As Accept and QR have shown, fans are willing to give new singers a chance. I was thinking that Russell Allen would be an awesome choice to sing for VH; he would do both eras justice

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Russ Allen in VH? Huh.

Bet he'd sound good in Accept.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I always thought Jeff Scott Soto would've been ace for Van Halen- he can do a great Roth and has the pipes to carry off Sammy pretty well.  If they just wanted to do Roth stuff then it's Ralph Saenz all the way for me.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't think a Roth clone would go over that well. They would need a neutral singer that can do all material from the band

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Back to the podcast..

Spinal Tap!! :metal

The Warlord tune was cool. William Tsamis has a Randy Rhoads feel. Kade, did you know that Joquim Cans sang on one of their albums? It's actually pretty cool.

I caught that nod in the intro to Ozzy! :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Spinal Tap rules!!!!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
And Sirius XM should hire Brent!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
... and Ben!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
awesome podcasts so far!  I've listened to the first and am about a quarter through the second.

I'm making a list of the songs in each playlist and rating each song as if I were listening to them for a roulette as I don't really have a lot of this stuff.  :lol
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, can you kindly post the link to the first podcast again?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, can you kindly post the link to the first podcast again?

All indexed in the OP Kade. 

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks champ.

I might not even need to do a roulette, Brent's giving me enough new stuff now.  :biggrin:

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I've also heard some VH rumors but I don't know what to make of it. Even if they talk with Sammy there's still the Michael Anthony case and I'm not sure if Sammy will return without Michael and Eddie is never going to throw his own son out of his band.

You could make a long running drama series out of this.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I haven't heard any rumours, and I don't put much stock in internet rumours until there's some proof.
I don't want them to fall out with DLR (although it was a tentative business relationship at best anyway), but I would like to hear Hagar record another VH album, given how excellent ADKOT was, and how great Hagar's songs were on the Best of Both Worlds compilation back in 2004.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
... but I would like to hear Hagar record another VH album, given how excellent ADKOT was, ...

+1 to that although I think the chances are slim
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Kade, did you know that Joquim Cans sang on one of their albums? It's actually pretty cool.

Yeah I realised that when Jason mentioned it a page of so back.  I knew the name was familiar.