Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v. Gadzooks!  (Read 262779 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: DTF Chat Thread v. Gadzooks!
« Reply #5530 on: October 03, 2015, 04:39:06 AM »
I switched from Winamp to foobar year ago and love it. It can be set up however you want, if you put a bit of time into it. Tabbed playlists ftw.
I've heard other really good things about it also.

It's very customizable with a lot of plugins, so there are plenty of good things to say. The main feature I had to still have to switch from Winamp was global shortcut keys, so I could control the music without having to switch programs. It also plays all of the different music formats I have (MP3, FLAC, APE, OGG, MPC, WAV, AIFF), which was vital.

I still liked Winamp, I just started getting annoyed having one big playlist for everything, and the newer skin system for the more featured version (v3 onwards) was painfully sluggish. It was great for obscure plugins though.
You were still using 2.x? :lol

No no, I was using a new version at the time (5 something), I just stuck with the old style skins. :blob:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #5531 on: October 03, 2015, 04:41:05 AM »
No no, I was using a new version at the time, I just stuck with the old style skins. :blob:
Ah, that makes more sense. :lol The newer skins feature a better Media Library setup though, which I don't think works with the older skins, so you were missing out by not using one of those. Infact the way the library is displayed in Winamp is the reason I'm reluctant to move away from it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5532 on: October 03, 2015, 04:42:56 AM »
No no, I was using a new version at the time, I just stuck with the old style skins. :blob:
Ah, that makes more sense. :lol The newer skins feature a better Media Library setup though, which I don't think works with the older skins, so you were missing out by not using one of those. Infact the way the library is displayed in Winamp is the reason I'm reluctant to move away from it.

Yeah, as I said, I didn't like the new style interface that allowed more features. It was sluggish for the basics, so it didn't matter to me what else it also had.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5533 on: October 03, 2015, 04:47:01 AM »
Yeah, as I said, I didn't like the new style interface that allowed more features. It was sluggish for the basics, so it didn't matter to me what else it also had.
It's never been sluggish for me, I wouldn't use it myself if it were. I hate any software that gets bogged down by its GUI. I'll never understand how people can tolerate WMP for that very reason.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5534 on: October 03, 2015, 04:50:28 AM »
It's never been sluggish for me, I wouldn't use it myself if it were. I hate any software that gets bogged down by its GUI. I'll never understand how people can tolerate WMP for that very reason.

WMP is on a whole other level of sluggish. :lol And it gets worse with every single version!
I'm just very picky (shocker). It had a slight lag for updating the GUI which especially bugged me when skipping around a song.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5535 on: October 03, 2015, 04:54:15 AM »
Actually I just realised I don't use the default modern theme anyway, I use the Bento theme. Maybe that's why I'm not noticing any sluggishness. The only time I get lag in the UI is if I use a visualisation (which I never do and don't care about) or if I use it while it's updating the library, so I just have the automatic directory scanning turned off to avoid any pointless updates every time I open it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5536 on: October 03, 2015, 04:57:37 AM »
It wasn't the skin, it was the XML skinning system that the v3+ skins used. Maybe they fixed it since, or maybe you're just not completely anal and pedantic like I am. :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5537 on: October 03, 2015, 05:06:04 AM »
It wasn't the skin, it was the XML skinning system that the v3+ skins used. Maybe they fixed it since, or maybe you're just not completely anal and pedantic like I am. :lol
I probably am, or am at least close. :lol I'm not experiencing lag like you when I skip/stop/etc though, it's instantaneous for me. But like you, if there were any noticeable delays in simple functions like that I wouldn't be able to tolerate using it. I didn't use 3.x at all or 5.x for years at first because they were really slow, but I've been using 5.x now for about 5-6 years and it's been fine.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5538 on: October 03, 2015, 05:11:27 AM »
The audio was instantaneous, I mostly remember the time bar took a bit of a delay when I skipped around (probably 1/10 of a second).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5539 on: October 03, 2015, 05:31:03 AM »
Hello there.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5540 on: October 03, 2015, 05:32:52 AM »
Hello there.
Morning, king.

Sure would be nice not to have it rain all day again.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5541 on: October 03, 2015, 05:50:41 AM »
We had 2 days of downpours.  It's in the 50'same for at least 4 days. Fall has arrived.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #5542 on: October 03, 2015, 11:57:35 AM »
Hello all.  Last night, I survived the great power outage of my neighborhood of 2015.  That is all.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5543 on: October 03, 2015, 12:40:39 PM »
I hate power outages.   I'm on a different grid than the neighbor behind me and when we are out theyour always have power.  It drives me mad!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5544 on: October 03, 2015, 04:47:00 PM »
w00t ! c:

I was rummaging through my CDs and I found an old CD-RW. Now I can burn new mixes to it and listen to it on my walk without using a new disc every time !

*My mastering software won't let me export a song or album if the audio is clipped - but I don't brickwall my music in the slightest so it *sounds* absolutely fine...

...I just like to get it loud enough so that It's comfortable when i'm out walking with my headphones and I can turn it DOWN if need be.

For some reason my mastering software will let me burn a CD of my mixes if it says it's clipping - but won't let me export the audio... SO a CDRW is a must have.

^ This is the loudest track on the album.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5545 on: October 04, 2015, 05:01:11 AM »
'morning troops.  Are you ready for some football?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5546 on: October 04, 2015, 05:02:47 AM »
Sir, yes sir!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5547 on: October 04, 2015, 05:04:29 AM »
Sir, yes sir!

At ease private.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5548 on: October 04, 2015, 05:24:20 AM »
This Captain is bringing coffee and donuts tomorrow the troops and then food shopping.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5549 on: October 04, 2015, 05:59:05 AM »
This Captain is bringing coffee and donuts tomorrow the troops and then food shopping.

But why not today?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5550 on: October 04, 2015, 09:09:31 AM »
Oops. Today.  When food shopping then 40 minute drive right now to the old man's house to take out his A/C out of the window.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #5551 on: October 04, 2015, 09:22:32 PM »
Good evening peoples.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5552 on: October 04, 2015, 09:38:58 PM »
Yo.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5553 on: October 05, 2015, 06:30:14 AM »
Slow day 'round here for a Sunday.

Back to the work week.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5554 on: October 05, 2015, 07:31:44 AM »
Morning, peoples.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5555 on: October 05, 2015, 08:17:50 AM »
Really quiet today. We're not a franchise so we need customers in order to pay the staff. So I volunteered to go home for an hour and come back at the end of the day to help clear up.

:tup. Was timetabled to do 3 hours. Ended up doing 2. I'm sure i'll make up the hour this week anyways so it was nice to get an hours break even though I did a grand total of 2 hours work ! :D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5556 on: October 05, 2015, 10:27:29 AM »
 :metal :police: :yarr :xbones

Bike passed the MOT and is back on the road. My day off is tomorrow. If it's a nice day I will go out for a cruise :cool:

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5557 on: October 05, 2015, 11:49:18 AM »
:metal :police: :yarr :xbones

Bike passed the MOT and is back on the road. My day off is tomorrow. If it's a nice day I will go out for a cruise :cool:

wooo nice! I was going to go for a cruise today but it's raining pretty bad, tomorrow will probably be a better day for it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5558 on: October 05, 2015, 12:13:51 PM »
Yeah my instructor basically said " If you've ever been off the road for a while - the day you are able to ride again it rains. "

He says it's the same if you've just bought a new bike - having bought lots of bikes down the years he says it happens every time without fail. :lol

And i've been off the road now for pretty much exactly 7 weeks so i'm going to take it easy on my first ride out.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5559 on: October 05, 2015, 02:45:31 PM »
Hey Blob !! :angry:

Still untitled is a The Martian movie Spoilercast. I'm looking forward to it having seen the movie.

I just listened to their 45 minute novel of The Martian spoilercast and it sounds like the movie was very faithful.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5560 on: October 05, 2015, 06:10:31 PM »
Yeah my instructor basically said " If you've ever been off the road for a while - the day you are able to ride again it rains. "

He says it's the same if you've just bought a new bike - having bought lots of bikes down the years he says it happens every time without fail. :lol

And i've been off the road now for pretty much exactly 7 weeks so i'm going to take it easy on my first ride out.

Riding in the rain is one of the best ways to build your riding skills. It's unpleasant but it really makes you focus and be deliberate with your movements.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5561 on: October 05, 2015, 06:32:31 PM »
My entire first week or two were in the wet. I hated it but it was good training.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5562 on: October 05, 2015, 08:31:11 PM »
Hey Blob !! :angry:

Still untitled is a The Martian movie Spoilercast. I'm looking forward to it having seen the movie.

I just listened to their 45 minute novel of The Martian spoilercast and it sounds like the movie was very faithful.

I always skip the spoilercasts. Not because of spoilers, but if I don't care enough to see the movie, then I don't want to watch dudes talk about it either. :lol I still have to catch up on the two Q&A videos too!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5563 on: October 05, 2015, 09:45:52 PM »
How's this weather Blob ?   We have bushfire smoke in the air , a red sun , evacuations happening and not far off 40 degrees Celsius (>100 F) in the first half of spring  :-\
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5564 on: October 05, 2015, 09:49:52 PM »
No fires near me that I'm aware of, but it's 38C today and very dry. Supposed to be better with some rain for the rest of the week though. Hope you're fine where you are.