Author Topic: Evergrey thread.  (Read 105646 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Evergrey thread.
« Reply #455 on: July 29, 2016, 04:13:11 AM »
Been listening 6-7 times now and it's a grower. It's not as catchy or likable on first listen like King Of Errors but I never judge a track or album on the first listen anyway. The chorus grows from each listen and the ending is just magical.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #456 on: July 29, 2016, 04:26:37 PM »

Here's an interview with Tom that was posted a few days ago. You can hear a preview of another song from the new album.

Interestingly, Tom describes the new album as "violent". Can't wait to hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf07Y1ph_dY

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #457 on: July 29, 2016, 04:31:36 PM »
I liked that songs from my first listen.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #458 on: July 29, 2016, 04:40:55 PM »

Yeah, that does sound like a really strong chorus there.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #459 on: August 09, 2016, 12:53:59 PM »

Video for "The Paradox of the Flame" (which I believe is the song Carina sings on) debuts August 18th.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: August 09, 2016, 03:04:36 PM »
I've been listening to the new song every couple of days or so and I really love it, so looking forward to this album.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #461 on: August 09, 2016, 03:37:13 PM »
The chorus is amazing and the song has grown alot since my first listen.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #462 on: August 10, 2016, 01:51:46 AM »
Arrhg I hate dealing with hype, it consumes you! I need to hide in a closet or something until september.  :lol

“The Storm Within” may very well be Evergrey’s best album.  Time will tell.  It is a wonderful combination of everything from their progressive roots to their catchier days to the dark melodic metal that they have embraced more recently.  Even more, the band’s newfound cinematic abilities enhance all of this.  It’s the complete Evergrey package in more ways than one, and it’s a welcome addition to an already stellar discography.  My favorite tracks include “Distance, “Passing Through”, “The Impossible”, and “The Paradox of Flame”, but my absolute favorite is the progressive brilliance of “Astray”.  Regardless, every song on this album will make Evergrey fans proud to be fans of this long standing group.  Preorder your hearts out!  Me?  I’m getting a vinyl copy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: August 10, 2016, 05:57:01 AM »
Sounds good to me.  :corn

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: August 10, 2016, 12:43:32 PM »
Evergrey surprises a fan by showing up at their house for a listening party: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=227&v=o6R2v8hTvXs
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #465 on: August 10, 2016, 10:55:57 PM »
That's really cool of them.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #466 on: August 16, 2016, 08:18:39 AM »
Copped a couple of listens to the new album.  I'm not the biggest fan in here - all of their best albums get ratings around 85% from me ( based on two or three killer tracks and the rest being good) and I feel the new one is in that sort of ballpark too. 

I don't have time for a track by track or much detail but I'm pretty certain most of the fans in these parts will enjoy it.  There's certainly no huge drop in quality from Hymns anyway.........IMHO.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #467 on: August 16, 2016, 08:27:26 AM »
I cannot get into them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: August 16, 2016, 08:33:38 AM »
I cannot get into them.

It doesn't surprise me .  some of their stuff really doesn't connect with me the way it does with most of the fans (I think Recreation Day is pretty average) and I have never found an album of theirs brilliant from beginning to end.  I also find that persistent use of the low end of 7 string guitars tires me out pretty quick and there's plenty of that , although thankfully they break it up enough on most tracks.

I also find that many of the tracks (on this latest one in particular) sort of melt into each other - not much variation in tone.  Having said that,  they do have a reasonably distinct sound and that is at least something that sets them apart from most of the cookie cutter crap from the usual suspects .    The use of Floor Jansen and Carina Englund was a nice break too and helped maintain my interest (2 of the better tracks).
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #469 on: August 16, 2016, 08:45:47 AM »
I cannot get into them.

It doesn't surprise me .    I also find that persistent use of the low end of 7 string guitars tires me out pretty quick 

Yes definitely. Does Sym X do the same thing? Cuz on paper they should be a favorite of mine, but I have a hard time connecting to them as well.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #470 on: August 16, 2016, 09:21:13 AM »
I cannot get into them.

It doesn't surprise me .  some of their stuff really doesn't connect with me the way it does with most of the fans (I think Recreation Day is pretty average) and I have never found an album of theirs brilliant from beginning to end.  I also find that persistent use of the low end of 7 string guitars tires me out pretty quick and there's plenty of that , although thankfully they break it up enough on most tracks.

I also find that many of the tracks (on this latest one in particular) sort of melt into each other - not much variation in tone.
Having said that,  they do have a reasonably distinct sound and that is at least something that sets them apart from most of the cookie cutter crap from the usual suspects .    The use of Floor Jansen and Carina Englund was a nice break too and helped maintain my interest (2 of the better tracks).

I tried years ago and couldn't get into them either, for these exact reasons.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: August 16, 2016, 11:27:12 AM »
Well, your loss, folks. Just got a new album promo and gonna spin it right now. If it's anywhere close to Hymns I'm sure I'll enjoy it.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #472 on: August 16, 2016, 11:43:38 AM »
I cannot get into them.

I also find that many of the tracks (on this latest one in particular) sort of melt into each other - not much variation in tone.
Having said that,  they do have a reasonably distinct sound and that is at least something that sets them apart from most of the cookie cutter crap from the usual suspects .    The use of Floor Jansen and Carina Englund was a nice break too and helped maintain my interest (2 of the better tracks).

I tried years ago and couldn't get into them either, for these exact reasons.
What's your thought on In Search Of Truth? I would argue there's alot of variation on that album although it's a concept album so some "melt into each other" is bound to happen.

I agree on Hymns being alot more streamlined even though it's a great album imo.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: August 16, 2016, 12:49:48 PM »
After one listen, I think the new album is on the Hymns level, some great tracks, lots of good ones and one or two clunkers for me. First impression is that the second half is vastly superior to the first one, starting with The Orbit and getting better and better from there. Favourite song is either The Paradox of the Flame or Disconnect, least favourite is Passing Through so far.

I will definitely be spinning this album more. Solid Evergrey, pretty much everyone who likes these guyss music will enjoy this one.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #474 on: August 16, 2016, 01:52:02 PM »
I didn't like Passing Through much on first listen, but it's a grower. After 3 listens, I really like the album. It has a more accessible sound which I don't mind at all. I like the extra use of keyboards, and the guitar tone is always killer.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: August 16, 2016, 03:11:53 PM »
Damn you guys.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #476 on: August 17, 2016, 09:31:00 AM »
I very much prefer the period from In Search of Truth until The Inner Circle. Hymns was a good comeback record even if their style has gotten much more straightforward. This new one though.. Something feels a bit 'off' about it. The production isn't as good as Hymns', the sound is very mechanical and compressed and for me the vocals aren't as good either. Couldn't find a really great song on it. Oh well.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #477 on: August 18, 2016, 09:30:45 AM »
The production sounds great to me. It's up there with "Hymns for the Broken", but that's where the similarity ends.

Good things so far - there are some insane solos. It's "heavier" than "Hymns" overall. Really cool
atmospheric contributions from Rikard. 

The not so good - Way too much of the djent-esque chugging guitars. They desperately need to stray from this in the future.
Lack of really strong hooks, although there's a few.

However, overall, I still believe it's a solid album that any Evergrey fan will enjoy.

Distance - unfortunately, I have gone the other way with this song than others here have. I have become disenchanted with it
after more listens.

Passing Through - I like the intro, and the sounds Rikard pulled up for it. An ok song, but nothing mindblowing.

Someday - I liked this one right off the bat. It's just a simple anthemic song, and I believe it should have been the first video instead of "Distance".

Astray - Not horrible, but not particularly memorable.

The Impossible - This is just Tom, piano and strings. It has a nice feel, but it's just a short 3 minute filler that many will probably just pass over
after the first listen.

My Allied Ocean - HOLY FACE MELTER!! Heavy and aggressive. This should satisfy anyone who has complained they've become too mellow. This had BETTER
be a future video.

In Orbit - Well, I dig the intro, but overall, the song is kind of hokey to me.

The Lonely Monarch - A decent song, with some GREAT melodic soloing.

The Paradox of the Flame - Here's where I ran into utter disappointment. I almost always like their ballads, especially if Corina is involved, but
this isn't reaching me at all. It moves at a painful snail's pace, and really has no dynamic moments.

Disconnect - The second song featuring Floor from Nightwish. This song kicks the crap out of "In Orbit", in my opinion.

The Storm Within - This song was compared stylistically to Devin Townsend in early reviews, but I was skeptical. However, it definitely does
have a Devin feel right from the very beginning that fans of his will surely pick up on. Very majestic and larger than life. It's a nice way to close
the album, but falls way short of 'The Aftermath" from "Hymns for the Broken".

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 10:21:49 AM by NunoTenniscourt »

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #478 on: August 18, 2016, 10:23:33 AM »

The production sounds great to me. It's up there with "Hymns for the Broken", but that's where the similarity ends.

Good things so far - there are some insane solos. It's "heavier" than "Hymns" overall. Really cool
atmospheric contributions from Rikard. 

The not so good - Way too much of the djent-esque chugging guitars. They desperately need to stray from this in the future.
Lack of really strong hooks, although there's a few.

However, overall, I still believe it's a solid album that any Evergrey fan will enjoy.

Distance - unfortunately, I have gone the other way with this song than others here have. I have become disenchanted with it
after more listens.

Passing Through - I like the intro, and the sounds Rikard pulled up for it. An ok song, but nothing mindblowing.

Someday - I liked this one right off the bat. It's just a simple anthemic song, and I believe it should have been the first video instead of "Distance".

Astray - Not horrible, but not particularly memorable.

The Impossible - This is just Tom, piano and strings. It has a nice feel, but it's just a short 3 minute filler that many will probably just pass over
after the first listen.

My Allied Ocean - HOLY FACE MELTER!! Heavy and aggressive. This should satisfy anyone who has complained they've become too mellow. This had BETTER
be a future video.

In Orbit - Well, I dig the intro, but overall, the song is kind of hokey to me.

The Lonely Monarch - A decent song, with some GREAT melodic soloing.

The Paradox of the Flame - Here's where I ran into utter disappointment. I almost always like their ballads, especially if Corina is involved, but
this isn't reaching me at all. It moves at a painful snail's pace, and really has no dynamic moments. It's nowhere near the level of the piano version
of "Hymns for the Broken" or "For Every Tear That Falls".

Disconnect - The second song featuring Floor from Nightwish. This song kicks the crap out of "In Orbit", in my opinion.

The Storm Within - This song was compared stylistically to Devin Townsend in early reviews, but I was skeptical. However, it definitely does
have a Devin feel right from the very beginning that fans of his will surely pick up on. Very majestic and larger than life. It's a nice way to close
the album, but falls way short of 'The Aftermath" from "Hymns for the Broken".

Offline NotePad

« Reply #479 on: August 18, 2016, 10:48:54 AM »
In Search of Truth is based on the non-fiction book Communion by Whitley Strieber, one of my favorite authors. He also writes awesome fiction novels. The new show Hunters is based on his Alien Hunters book series. Just saying.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #480 on: August 18, 2016, 11:37:29 AM »
On first listen, overall I think this album doesn't have as many standouts as the last one. It feels more like an album, though, it flows pretty well and even though you don't get these sudden spikes of awesome, it is consistently good. Nice for full listening in its entirely, not amazing for just picking few songs here in there in a shuffle.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #481 on: August 18, 2016, 11:52:21 AM »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #482 on: August 18, 2016, 11:58:09 AM »
They should really use Carina more. Her contributions in the past (Inner Circle for instance) have been the highlights of the albums.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #483 on: August 18, 2016, 12:10:59 PM »

Yeah, I agree. She's awesome. After seeing this new video and how it connects with the song, I'm liking it a *little* better, but overall, it just draaaaags along. They have had much better ballads before. I would have liked to have seen either Tom or Henrik doing the guitar solo here, too, but it's definitely a nice looking video.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #484 on: August 18, 2016, 12:12:52 PM »
Yeah it does feel like it's a minute or so longer than it should have been, especially toward the end.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #485 on: August 18, 2016, 12:52:18 PM »
I really like Carinas voice, she really lifted the songs on the 2nd disc of HFTB. It's a nice ballad but honestly it's a bit of a drag though.  :-\ Will listen some more.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #486 on: August 18, 2016, 03:31:53 PM »
Odd song for a second single, but it's cool enough.  Love personally loved teh second half instrumental section.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #487 on: August 18, 2016, 04:38:51 PM »
In Search of Truth is based on the non-fiction book Communion by Whitley Strieber, one of my favorite authors. He also writes awesome fiction novels. The new show Hunters is based on his Alien Hunters book series. Just saying.

Communion a non fiction book..? 😱👽👽

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #488 on: August 19, 2016, 11:03:14 AM »
Odd song for a second single, but it's cool enough.  Love personally loved teh second half instrumental section.

The second half is killer, one of my favourite moments on the album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: August 19, 2016, 04:21:31 PM »
Just realised my shitty stuff up in that line haha.