Author Topic: Protest The Hero Appreciation/Discussion Thread  (Read 108919 times)

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
Re: Protest The Hero Appreciation/Discussion Thread
« Reply #525 on: October 31, 2011, 07:02:08 PM »
unexpecT are just SO metal, that gorille doesn't have room for more metal in his rotation.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #526 on: October 31, 2011, 07:09:32 PM »
I dunno, PTH are pretty much the best "new" metal band around imo, perhaps btbam being their main rivals.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #527 on: October 31, 2011, 07:15:28 PM »
And Scurrilous is PTH's best album, and is album of the year.
Na

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #528 on: November 02, 2011, 02:03:26 PM »
DTF's enthusiasm for PTH led me to pick up Fortress today. I'm on track 6 and LOVING THIS. Most interesting new band since Mastadon. Whoever mixed his needs to do DT12. Drum mix is spot on.
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #529 on: November 02, 2011, 02:07:09 PM »
Mastadon.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #531 on: November 02, 2011, 02:55:42 PM »
Mastadon = Mastodon. I always do that.  :-[
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #532 on: November 04, 2011, 11:47:16 PM »
Ok folks I need help (that's nothing unusual)... I have a hard time with lots of growling vocals so obviously that's going to be something for me to work through with PTH. I do really like Rody's vocals when he's not in RoRoRo mode.  For example the Hellbent on Heaven section of "Sequioa Throne" leave me damp. I also really enjoy "Hair-Trigger". So....

I usually would never start listening to a band this way but could you all suggest songs that I might like outside of those that are similar in a way. I normally would just go from the beginning and move forward but I kind of need to ease myself into the vocals and would really like to make a mix to get started as I really find this band interesting so far.

Any suggestions?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #533 on: November 05, 2011, 03:59:25 AM »
Or you can listen to their latest album Scurrilous, which is (1) amazing, and (2) pretty much free of harsh vocals.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #534 on: November 05, 2011, 05:29:56 AM »
How are Kezia and Fortress?
I've been meaning to check them out, but I got a bit turned off on the band after hearing Scurrilous, it has some good music, but the vocals are something I just can't get into, I just feel like they sound way too "cheesy" (for me at least) for the music itself.

Oh well, maybe they aren't for me, but I've heard good things about Kezia and Fortress. :P

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #535 on: November 05, 2011, 05:42:28 AM »
I've been meaning to check them out, but I got a bit turned off on the band after hearing Scurrilous, it has some good music, but the vocals are something I just can't get into, I just feel like they sound way too "cheesy" (for me at least) for the music itself.

Oh well, maybe they aren't for me, but I've heard good things about Kezia and Fortress. :P

The vocals are a lot more varied on those albums, certainly worth checking out. Try Bloodmeat and Blindfolds Aside and see what you think.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #536 on: November 05, 2011, 05:13:42 PM »
The vocals are basically the same but with a reasonable amount of harsher vocals as well. If you don't like the vocals I can't imagine you liking them on the other two albums either.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #537 on: November 26, 2011, 08:59:02 PM »
this is pretty funny. PTH starts to sound like Killswitch Engage when you drop them from Eb to C

https://soundcloud.com/alex-capric/hair-trigger-kse-version

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #538 on: November 26, 2011, 09:04:39 PM »
Holy shit!
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: November 27, 2011, 10:45:23 AM »
That was awesome! I've never actually listened to KSE, are they any good?
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #540 on: November 27, 2011, 11:20:38 AM »

Nah, not really.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #541 on: November 27, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »

Nah, not really.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #542 on: November 27, 2011, 01:13:36 PM »
Haha okay, that's the premise I've been operating under.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline faemir

« Reply #543 on: November 27, 2011, 07:59:36 PM »
A couple of their albums are alright, but generally, no. They're much better at producing amazing As I Lay Dying albums.

Offline faemir

« Reply #544 on: November 27, 2011, 08:04:11 PM »

I know how much good music you like. So just listen to it all, because PTH are good music :P

edit: ah sorry, double post.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #545 on: December 26, 2011, 10:51:45 AM »
Turn Soonest to the Sea = :hefdaddy

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #546 on: December 26, 2011, 12:03:52 PM »
xmas present: all 3 guitar books by Luke and Tim

Offline aparadoxindeed

• Guitarist, Songwriter, All-Around Music Nerd
« Reply #547 on: January 01, 2012, 12:56:58 PM »
xmas present: all 3 guitar books by Luke and Tim

BADASS!
I dunno, PTH are pretty much the best "new" metal band around imo, perhaps btbam being their main rivals.

I absolutely agree with this... PTH is one of the only new metal bands that I'm really excited about.

Offline faemir

« Reply #548 on: March 04, 2012, 11:47:16 AM »
at a protest gig about to start, they're only playing for one hour and three support bands but worth it

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #549 on: March 04, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »
at a protest gig about to start, they're only playing for one hour and three support bands but worth it

I so wish I could go to this. Unfortunately I'm going to miss it this time, when else am I going to see PTH , Periphery and Jeff loomis in one.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline faemir

« Reply #550 on: March 04, 2012, 04:16:50 PM »
Well I'm back, the Protest set was short as expected but really great - Rhody said he'd been having loads of vocal problems recently and you could tell, it sounded a bit painful :(

It was such a blast though, my weariness of THREE frigging support bands evaporated instantly when they came on stage.

Also Rhody's tshirt which had a funny story with it:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #551 on: March 05, 2012, 03:32:31 AM »
Dan, how much were the vocal issues disruptive, or did it still sound fine for the most part? When I saw them at Sonisphere he was on great form vocally! Seeing them on Friday and it'll be a shame if he's not sounding so great.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 09:54:42 AM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #552 on: March 05, 2012, 07:35:36 AM »
 WebRaider sent me one of their songs on my roulette... they are now one of those bands I became a fan of really quickly.... digging the vocals a lot! and great tunes overall!

*appreciates*

Offline faemir

« Reply #553 on: March 05, 2012, 12:49:24 PM »
Dan, how much were the vocal issues disruptive, or did it still sound fine for the most part? When I saw them at Sonisphere he was on great form vocally! Seeing them on Friday and it'll be a shame if he's not sounding so great.

The growls were manly and awesome, but his singing was really quiet and he was definitely struggling - it didn't really detract from the experience at all though as he tried so hard and they were clearly all having a laugh and into it all. He used the crowd on some of the real hard-hitting lines which helped too.

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #554 on: March 05, 2012, 08:05:30 PM »
WebRaider sent me one of their songs on my roulette... they are now one of those bands I became a fan of really quickly.... digging the vocals a lot! and great tunes overall!

*appreciates*

I just got into them in Nov/Dec of last year and I purchased my ticket to see them ( on April 18) today... very excited! :metal ... What I've heard of Periphery is pretty cool too but not familiar with the other support bands.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #555 on: March 05, 2012, 10:57:08 PM »
So just got into this band. I've been missing out!

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #556 on: March 06, 2012, 12:36:44 AM »

*appreciates*

I just got into them in Nov/Dec of last year and I purchased my ticket to see them ( on April 18) today... very excited! :metal ... What I've heard of Periphery is pretty cool too but not familiar with the other support bands.

Interesting story..... Last week in the US... at House of Blues (Las Vegas) (Iced earth - Symphony X gig) a guy approached me and for the first time that night somebody finally made sense... he asked me which band I was there for... and he told me that he was a huge Symphony X fan... I was intrigued... 'mm a prog-head we've got here!' .....so I asked his all time fave band... and here we go .. he said DREAM FRIGGING THEATER!!!!  :omg:

As you might guess, we found ourselves engaged in a deep deep conversation... We talked about a lot of other prog bands and exchanged some others that were new to one another.... He mentioned a band which I didn't have any idea about.. he was so passionate about it... so I asked him to jot it down for me....

Anyway after WebR sent me a PtH song, I shared it with that guy right away.... 'Hey check this out.. this is sth you might dig too....' and sent the e-mail.... couple of minutes later sth got me into action.... a hunch or whatever you call it... I went and took a look at that piece of paper...
and I was like :o 'haha silly me'

It was Protest The Hero  :laugh:

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #557 on: March 06, 2012, 11:12:52 AM »
i absolutely need to see Protest and Periphery in NYC on Apr 20th.

2 of my favorite metal bands together. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. hopefully i dont have any crazy things going on in school

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #558 on: March 06, 2012, 11:45:52 AM »
insanely jealous!

but crossed my fingers for you too....

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #559 on: March 06, 2012, 02:40:12 PM »

*appreciates*

Interesting story..... Last week in the US... at House of Blues (Las Vegas) (Iced earth - Symphony X gig) a guy approached me and for the first time that night somebody finally made sense... he asked me which band I was there for... and he told me that he was a huge Symphony X fan... I was intrigued... 'mm a prog-head we've got here!' .....so I asked his all time fave band... and here we go .. he said DREAM FRIGGING THEATER!!!!  :omg:

As you might guess, we found ourselves engaged in a deep deep conversation... We talked about a lot of other prog bands and exchanged some others that were new to one another.... He mentioned a band which I didn't have any idea about.. he was so passionate about it... so I asked him to jot it down for me....

Anyway after WebR sent me a PtH song, I shared it with that guy right away.... 'Hey check this out.. this is sth you might dig too....' and sent the e-mail.... couple of minutes later sth got me into action.... a hunch or whatever you call it... I went and took a look at that piece of paper...
and I was like :o 'haha silly me'

It was Protest The Hero  :laugh:

That's awesome!!!... I'm glad I got to help you get to know the band. There was something right away that got my attention with them and with the release of Scurrilous (their most recent album) I was sold. I'm actually slated to go to several concerts in the next few months but If I'm honest I'm most excited to see PTH...