Author Topic: Haken thread v. "Evening With" tour (some set spoilers)  (Read 68854 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: Haken thread v. Fauna, 3rd March 2023
« Reply #350 on: February 22, 2023, 05:22:53 AM »
Excited to see what their new setlist is going to be today. I'm hoping they add at least one of the Restoration tracks, since those were originally written when Pete was with them the first time.

Here's the setlist, for those wondering: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/haken/2023/gruenspan-hamburg-germany-3ba8187.html  :tup
Ouch. If I went to a show and it for the most part featured songs from my least favorite album by the band, I wouldn't be super thrilled. But that's just me.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #351 on: February 22, 2023, 06:30:51 AM »
I love the setlist as it's mostly songs I've not seen live before, plus two of my absolute favourites.

They were always likely to focus a fair bit on Virus as they haven't toured it in Europe yet (damn COVID) and Fauna isn't out hey. Won't be the case for the May north America tour, and I hope they'll do a proper Fauna tour in Europe later on top although at least we're getting some of the singles this time.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #352 on: February 22, 2023, 06:49:58 AM »
That outro song :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #353 on: February 22, 2023, 07:24:42 AM »
Ok guess I won't be reading in this thread until after Sunday  :)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #354 on: February 22, 2023, 08:00:41 AM »
I don't love the setlist, but that's probably because I saw the US tour last year.  So what ariich said makes sense to me.  I do hope they don't drop Messiah Complex for the US leg though.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #355 on: February 22, 2023, 09:50:17 AM »

If this was The Mountain Part 3, I would probably think it was OK, but at this point they would be just another “passing band” and then just faded away because they kept repeating themselves.

*ahem* DREAM THEATER *ahem*
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #356 on: February 22, 2023, 10:44:28 AM »
Seeing them March 5th, just checked out the setlist and yeah, it was always going to be a mix of these songs. Happy tho, cause the new ones are a blast, and the Virus material is gonna be really fun in a live setting. Still dying to see some pre-Mountain material soon.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #357 on: February 22, 2023, 10:52:03 AM »
Still dying to see some pre-Mountain material soon.

I don't think they're planning to do this anytime soon, considering they haven't played most of them in a long time and now they have a new album to promote, and they still haven't done the Vector + Virus show(s) they wanted.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #358 on: February 22, 2023, 11:13:52 AM »
As long as that Affinity song stays for their US leg I will be happy.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #359 on: February 22, 2023, 11:50:25 AM »
And a less positive review:

https://progressivemusicplanet.com/2023/02/13/haken-fauna/

This review completely lost me on this point:

Maybe the rest of the album was more like the Haken I liked in the past.

Maybe I’m an outlier music lover, but the reason I love Haken is *because* nothing they do sounds like their past.

If this was The Mountain Part 3, I would probably think it was OK, but at this point they would be just another “passing band” and then just faded away because they kept repeating themselves.

People who think along the same lines as this reviewer are the same as people who just listen to classic rock radio to listen to the same 100 songs over and over and over and over again.

TLDR - that “negative” review made me want it even more.

I don't think this necessarily holds true to be honest.

Look at Arjen Lucassen, Nightwish, Kamelot and the likes, the discourse here and online is that their recent releases have been very much in line with past material (for most releases I'd agree to a large extent). But doing so they have been more successful in recent times than in the past in varying ways (say, post 2010-2015, which is late in their careers). I actually count Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree in this category as well. He/they gave us a PT record and it was a big success.

I don't really disagree with you though, but to me it is only a factor and it also heavily depends on the quality of the music and the enthusiasm/passion of the performances (studio and live). I am not against artists changing their sound. There are those where I really dislike it (In Flames) and some where I enjoy it very much (Sonata Arctica, Leprous, Opeth).

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #360 on: February 22, 2023, 12:42:43 PM »

Maybe I’m an outlier music lover, but the reason I love Haken is *because* nothing they do sounds like their past.

People who think along the same lines as this reviewer are the same as people who just listen to classic rock radio to listen to the same 100 songs over and over and over and over again.

Look at Arjen Lucassen, Nightwish, Kamelot and the likes, the discourse here and online is that their recent releases have been very much in line with past material (for most releases I'd agree to a large extent). But doing so they have been more successful in recent times than in the past in varying ways (say, post 2010-2015, which is late in their careers). I actually count Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree in this category as well. He/they gave us a PT record and it was a big success.

I don't really disagree with you though, but to me it is only a factor and it also heavily depends on the quality of the music and the enthusiasm/passion of the performances (studio and live). I am not against artists changing their sound. There are those where I really dislike it (In Flames) and some where I enjoy it very much (Sonata Arctica, Leprous, Opeth).

To me, it depends entirely on what people get out of the music. People desire certain aspects of their music. I call myself a music fan, rather than a fan of a specific genre, because I enjoy any type of music out there. I would love for any band to make any style of music they please, regardless of whether it's an unpopular genre or style.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #361 on: February 22, 2023, 12:52:00 PM »
I caved and looked. The swapping of the cliche Affinity song was long overdue and fantastic.

And although I generally always want to see stuff live I haven't seen a bunch before, the track from The Mountain is my favorite live performance of theirs, so I can never complain about that.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jammindude

« Reply #362 on: February 22, 2023, 12:55:08 PM »
That setlist seems really short.

I am seeing them in May. I’m torn about the current setlist. I too, would rather see a bit more Fauna…but I would hate to lose MC.

If they just had the current setlist and added 2 more Fauna songs (especially the mini epic that I’ve heard so many good things about) that would be awesome.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: February 22, 2023, 12:59:33 PM »

I am seeing them in May. I’m torn about the current setlist. I too, would rather see a bit more Fauna…but I would hate to lose MC.

If they just had the current setlist and added 2 more Fauna songs (especially the mini epic that I’ve heard so many good things about) that would be awesome.

The Euro leg is coheadline tour I think?  The US dates are not as far as I know. 

To me, it depends entirely on what people get out of the music. People desire certain aspects of their music. I call myself a music fan, rather than a fan of a specific genre, because I enjoy any type of music out there. I would love for any band to make any style of music they please, regardless of whether it's an unpopular genre or style.

I think one thing to consider is the prog genre often requires change because the fans appreciate that.  If you look outside the genre, that's not really normal.  It actually is often times despised to see bands make changes to their sound from the fan base.  So it's actually no surprise that bands that stick to what they do best do find success from doing the "same thing" over and over. 

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #364 on: February 22, 2023, 12:59:38 PM »
They co-headline with BTBAM.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #365 on: February 22, 2023, 12:59:42 PM »
The studio versions of the current setlist add up to around 75 minutes, which should roughly translate to around a 90 minute set. That's about what I'd expect for the last billing on a co-headline tour.

The north America May tour is solo headline with only one support act, so I would expect sets to be more like 105 minutes, maybe pushing towards 2 hours.

Also for May, it will be very much a Fauna tour. I would expect less Virus (because they already toured it last year when out with Symphony X) and more non-single Fauna.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #366 on: February 22, 2023, 01:01:48 PM »
I'm just hoping that on the main Fauna tour, we finally get a new live album recorded with a good mix of Vector/Virus/Fauna material. Although, I wouldn't mind waiting for "Flora" to come out and then they can do a live album with a mix of all four albums' material, and title the live album VFX (The Vector/Virus and Fauna/Flora X-perience  :lol ).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #367 on: February 22, 2023, 01:03:55 PM »
I very much doubt that the next album will be called Flora. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #368 on: February 22, 2023, 01:34:47 PM »
I'd still love a full Vector/Virus live recording.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #369 on: February 22, 2023, 02:11:28 PM »
I'm just hoping that on the main Fauna tour, we finally get a new live album recorded with a good mix of Vector/Virus/Fauna material.

This.

I'd still love a full Vector/Virus live recording.

This works too.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #370 on: February 22, 2023, 02:50:36 PM »

I think one thing to consider is the prog genre often requires change because the fans appreciate that.  If you look outside the genre, that's not really normal.  It actually is often times despised to see bands make changes to their sound from the fan base.  So it's actually no surprise that bands that stick to what they do best do find success from doing the "same thing" over and over.

Yup, and you just have to look at those bands setlists, always containing the same exact songs on every tour with a couple of others sprinkled in. Then you get Iron Maiden wanting to play their new songs, only to resort to playing the tried and true classics American Maiden fans desire from the band. But then again, I love when the genres blend in unexpected ways, such as Country Hip-Hop, or Black Metal Reggae (now this is an oxymoronic genre blend). And honestly, that's where music is at now.

I have grown to appreciate how a band wants an album to sound, more so than expecting what I want to hear from the band. This is how I appreciate Haken making Virus/Vector and do not really have a problem with it's sound and style.

From what I have heard of Fauna so far, I can hear a blend of all their previous styles and hints of previous things they have done. Such as The Alphabet Of Me giving me Host and Veil vibes with the use of the electronic drums and supporting ambience.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #371 on: February 22, 2023, 03:07:58 PM »
To those of you familiar with my countdown threads, I was considering doing a Haken one here after the Metallica one is over.  Could be a good time to do it, with the new album coming out soon.  I'd likely shoot for a top 25.   Anyone down for that?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #372 on: February 22, 2023, 03:36:10 PM »
I’m down

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #373 on: February 22, 2023, 03:54:40 PM »
Pretty sure I walked past Ross at the DT show in London yesterday.

Conversely, he's probably saying to his mates right now, "Pretty sure I walked right past Doctor Action at the DT show last night." ...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #374 on: February 22, 2023, 04:11:28 PM »
To those of you familiar with my countdown threads, I was considering doing a Haken one here after the Metallica one is over.  Could be a good time to do it, with the new album coming out soon.  I'd likely shoot for a top 25.   Anyone down for that?

I was actually toying with the idea of doing that myself, but I don’t want to intrude. I *really really* want a Haken countdown, but I was hoping to wait until June/July, include the Fauna tracks, and make it a top 50.

Oh…and Messiah Complex has to be 1 track.  ;D

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #375 on: February 22, 2023, 04:32:20 PM »

Well yeah. That way, Vector and Virus mirror each other with 7 songs each.  :P
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #376 on: February 22, 2023, 04:39:18 PM »

Conversely, he's probably saying to his mates right now, "Pretty sure I walked right past Doctor Action at the DT show last night." ...

:lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #377 on: February 22, 2023, 04:46:56 PM »
I won't say what very limited info I was given about the N. American set specifics (which you can likely very easily guess at), but can at least confirm that it WILL be a longer set due to them being solo headliners.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jammindude

« Reply #378 on: February 22, 2023, 04:50:35 PM »
I won't say what very limited info I was given about the N. American set specifics (which you can likely very easily guess at), but can at least confirm that it WILL be a longer set due to them being solo headliners.

This make me  ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #379 on: February 22, 2023, 04:57:23 PM »

I was actually toying with the idea of doing that myself, but I don’t want to intrude. I *really really* want a Haken countdown, but I was hoping to wait until June/July, include the Fauna tracks, and make it a top 50.

If you want to do it this summer and include the new songs, I will step aside for that one and let you run with the Haken ball.  :tup :tup

Offline jammindude

« Reply #380 on: February 22, 2023, 05:15:34 PM »

If you want to do it this summer and include the new songs, I will step aside for that one and let you run with the Haken ball.  :tup :tup

Thanks Kev! You’re the best! ;D

Offline NoFred

« Reply #381 on: February 22, 2023, 09:57:00 PM »

Good to hear, their current set looks great and anything more is a bonus.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #382 on: February 22, 2023, 11:16:32 PM »

Seems pretty unlikely see as Haken are currently in Germany on tour. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #383 on: February 23, 2023, 10:06:00 AM »

Oh.  :lol
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #384 on: February 23, 2023, 12:25:37 PM »

Oh.  :lol

No, it was Ross, he told me.  :lol