Author Topic: The Dear Hunter v Act III: Life and Death Live Stream (5/7 and 5/14/24)  (Read 351469 times)

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Dear Hunter - appreciation thread
« Reply #665 on: May 28, 2011, 06:43:48 PM »
He didn't group them together. Just the first two parts.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #666 on: May 28, 2011, 07:04:04 PM »
I don't think grouping the Bitter Suite as one song is really fair. 

At least I wouldn't, considering that the first two parts would be near the top rank, while the third one would be near the bottom!

It's a good thing I did it that way.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #667 on: May 28, 2011, 07:09:18 PM »
Ah, ok.  I just saw one called "The Bitter Suite" and jumped to conclusions. 

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #668 on: May 28, 2011, 07:23:06 PM »
that's how it ripped when i copied it off my cd, didn't realize i had it wrong
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #669 on: May 28, 2011, 07:23:54 PM »
u duck
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #670 on: May 28, 2011, 07:24:41 PM »
du suck
space cadet, pull out.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #671 on: May 29, 2011, 03:38:53 AM »
I agree with Zack, Blood of the Rose is amazing!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #672 on: May 29, 2011, 08:09:31 AM »
o/
space cadet, pull out.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #673 on: May 29, 2011, 09:09:23 AM »
*\o

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #674 on: May 29, 2011, 09:13:45 AM »
I've always loved the songs that are very orchestral and show-tunesy that Casey writes. It probably explains why I loved Lillian so much on the Color Spectrum Sampler.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #675 on: May 30, 2011, 06:35:57 PM »
I can't wait to get the Color Spectrum EPs, but it's $35 and I'm a dependent, unemployed youth.  FFFFFFUUUUUU-
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #676 on: May 30, 2011, 06:47:58 PM »
SO EXCITED FOR THE VINYLS OMG OMG OMG
I AM A GUY

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #677 on: May 30, 2011, 07:08:21 PM »
SO EXCITED FOR THE VINYLS OMG OMG OMG

Damn you
space cadet, pull out.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #678 on: May 30, 2011, 07:21:56 PM »
IF YOU COME TO MY HOUSE FOR DFD YOU CAN LISTEN TO IT YOU NUB
I AM A GUY

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #679 on: May 30, 2011, 07:46:29 PM »
How about I come to your house but not go to DFD?
space cadet, pull out.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #680 on: May 30, 2011, 07:48:31 PM »
That's possible... but why wouldn't you want to go? It's not like it's expensive.
I AM A GUY

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #681 on: May 30, 2011, 08:15:12 PM »
I was kidding. I was hoping you'd ask what I'd do when you were at the shows and then I'd make a joke about sleeping with your Mom.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #682 on: May 30, 2011, 08:15:56 PM »
No reason you can't do both.

AT THE SAME TIME
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #683 on: May 31, 2011, 08:06:53 AM »
Ok, so for the recent converts (and for the long time fans who just haven't bothered with the story), I'm gonna give you my "Junior High Book Report Written by a Kid with ADD" version of the story for the first three Acts...

Act I

So it's way back in the day [like, before the internet even], and there's this city with a church.  But when the sun goes down, the church turns into a whorehouse called "The Dime".  One day, one of the chicks there [let's call her "Ms. Terri"] gets knocked up.  So she's all like "shit... I can't raise a kid here.  I gotta ditch this city and go out to the country where the lake and the river are."  But the pimp/priest in charge is like "Hell no... none o' my bitches gonna be leaving me!".  She's kinda crafty though, and even though the pimp/priest sends some people after her, she manages to get away.  She makes it to the lake and the river and starts raising the kid.  For some reason the boy likes catching small animals and bringing them to her, like a little hunter.  And he's very dear to her, so she starts thinking of him as her dear hunter [OmGz!! That's the name of the band!!  I c wat they did thar].  So the boy grows up and pretty much never leaves the lake and the river and is super naive and innocent 'cause Ms. Terri keeps the bad shit in the world away from him.  Also, there's a big tree on the border of the lake and the river.  It's probably important for some reason.  It's, like, a symbolic representation of his father or something.

Act II

So the boy gets to his mid-late teens, and Ms. Terri totally dies.  So he's like "shit... what do I do now?".  They have a funeral and such, but after it's done, instead of going home, the boy just starts wandering.  He finds this place where there's some sort of weird big moving machine called The Delphi Express.  [If he wasn't so clueless he probably would've known that it was a train].  He hops a ride one one of the cars and there's some crazy old guys in there saying all kinds of cryptic stuff like "don't be ashamed of your amore faux pas".  He pretty much ignores them, probably 'cause he thinks they were crazy, but it turns out they were oracles warning him about his future.  [It's probably good that he ignored them though, or else there wouldn't be much of a story to tell].  The Delphi Express takes him into the city, and he's blown away.  He's never seen anything like it before.  He's strolling about and comes to this big building with a way hot girl standing out front.  They start chatting and she introduces herself as Ms. Leading [If he wasn't so damn naive he probably would've been a bit suspicious.  I mean, her fucking name is "misleading"!!].  She brings him inside and there's all kinds of crazy stuff going on, but she takes him up to her room.  They totally bang.  And it's awesome.  He thinks "this chick is cool... I should fall in love with her".  So he does.  Then he goes downstairs the next morning and there's some guy there [the pimp/priest] who's like "'sup?" and boy is like "Hey, Ms. Leading is cool" so the pimp/priest goes "If you wanna hang here you can have a job as her driver".  So he takes it and starts driving her around.  He's still kinda dumb and doesn't really know where she's going.  He just drives her to some house, and she goes inside, and then she comes back a while later.  He doesn't ask questions.  They're hanging out more now, and pretty soon she totally falls for him too.  But one day she forgets her scarf in the car so he goes inside to bring it to her and she's boning some fat old dude.  She's been caught red handed.  He's pretty pissed, so he bails.  She's pretty bummed so she writes him a letter wanting to meet where they first met (where the road parts), but he's like "fuck that" and writes back all angry-like and tells her off, saying stuff like "the bitter manufacturer of lust that you have been presented as doesn't do a thing for me.  I now know your identity - a black widow who tempts her prey with promises of love. if ignorance is bliss wish I was blissfully ignorant but I'm not, I'm enlightened now, light has been presented to me in spite of you."  [Damn... harsh!].  They exchange some more letters (which all somehow end up on a beach in a series of broken bottles being read by some random person), then he decides he needs to skip town, so he hops a ride on a big steam ship and peaces out of the city.  She tries to chase him down but she's too late and just watches the ship sail away in the distance.

Act III

The Boy didn't know wtf to do next, so he thinks "Hey, I should join the army!"  He runs into those oracle guys again and they try to warn him, but he just ignores them again.  Then he realizes that war sucks and starts thinking about how shitty it really is.  He sees dead bodies piled up everywhere and realizes he's totally alone.  This tank suddenly starts coming after his unit and it's just running people down, and he doesn't really feel like being squished to death, so he bails again.  He meets this lady who sells poison and I guess she likes him or something because she gives him a bottle for free.  He goes back to the camp and meets this other guy who's a thief who steals stuff from dead bodies, and they have a nice chat about war and stuff.  The boy wants to get out of there and is crossing this field when the enemy attacks and he gets hit with some mustard gas and falls into a ditch.  He's all depressed now and starts thinking he should just die, but then he remembers his mom and is suddenly saved by another soldier.  They go for some drinks at a bar or something, and there's this older dude there and they're all telling stories, and this older dude starts talking about this time he was in the city and hooked up with some whore in a church named Ms. Terri.  So the boy is like "whoah... so you're my dad?".  Then that other soldier [the one who rescued him from the ditch earlier... remember him?] was like "no way! that old guy is MY dad too!".  So now out of nowhere the boy has got a dad AND a half-brother!  Yay!  So they all go into battle together [like every good family], and the boy's half-brother gets blasted and dies.  The boy is like "man, that sucks", but the dad is like "whatever".  The boy is pretty pissed at his dad and wants to kill him.  If only he had some poison... [But wait!  He does!!].  So the boy uses the bottle while the dad is sleeping, and the dad totally dies.  The boy wants to leave again, and, as fate would have it, he pretty much looks exactly like his recently deceased half-brother, so he decides he can just steal his dead half-brother's identity and goes off to live with his half-brothers mother.

fin.

p.s. ~ Casey's version is a lot more eloquent.

Whoa whoa whoa hold on....I THOUGHT TDH KILLS HIS HALF-BROTHER WTF

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #684 on: May 31, 2011, 08:23:44 AM »

There seems to be some disagreement on the issue, but the leading theory is that the half-brother is killed in battle while trying to protect the father, then the father seems to not care that the half-brother was killed, the boy gets mad that the father doesn't care that the half-brother was killed, so the boy kills the father.

Although there are some who have interpreted it the story to have the boy killing the half-brother.  I don't think Casey has officially confirmed either theory.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #685 on: May 31, 2011, 08:32:32 AM »
On another note, listening to the Orange EP BTS for the first time.  I am very pleased to say it sounds exactly how I imagined the color orange would "sound." :metal :metal :metal

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #686 on: May 31, 2011, 08:34:52 AM »
wat
space cadet, pull out.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #689 on: May 31, 2011, 08:47:29 AM »
How do you have Orange?
space cadet, pull out.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #690 on: May 31, 2011, 08:49:56 AM »
Ooooh, BTS = Behind The Scenes.

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #691 on: May 31, 2011, 08:56:44 AM »
Yeeeeeeees, there you go.  I have nothing more than anyone else here has....Zepp excluded. :P

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but free song from the White EP courtesy of Spin Magazine:

https://www.spin.com/articles/first-listen-dear-hunters-heady-concept-album

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #692 on: May 31, 2011, 10:10:54 AM »

There seems to be some disagreement on the issue, but the leading theory is that the half-brother is killed in battle while trying to protect the father, then the father seems to not care that the half-brother was killed, the boy gets mad that the father doesn't care that the half-brother was killed, so the boy kills the father.

Although there are some who have interpreted it the story to have the boy killing the half-brother.  I don't think Casey has officially confirmed either theory.
I agree with you and I've never got the impression that he killed the half-brother. I can't even think of any reason why he would do so.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #693 on: May 31, 2011, 10:22:05 AM »
The new song is GOOD
space cadet, pull out.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #694 on: May 31, 2011, 11:14:52 AM »
I agree with you and I've never got the impression that he killed the half-brother. I can't even think of any reason why he would do so.

I don't think that he did either, but I think that it is sometimes assumed this way because there is a booklet picture with the boy standing over the half-brother with a gun, which lead people to jump to conclusions.  But I think this was just a misinterpretation, as the boy certainly isn't evil and probably wouldn't kill the guy who saved him. 

A lot of people also seem to think that the half-brother took the bullet for the father somehow.  Minor possible detail, but would certainly give extra explaining as to the boy having anger enough to kill his old man. 

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #695 on: May 31, 2011, 12:09:47 PM »

A lot of people also seem to think that the half-brother took the bullet for the father somehow. 

That's what I always thought happened as well.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #696 on: June 01, 2011, 06:27:30 AM »

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #697 on: June 01, 2011, 06:32:23 AM »
why was i not invited.
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #698 on: June 01, 2011, 08:15:36 AM »
dfkojgkdsjfg YOUR SO LUCKY

Was this like a fan club only thing? I only live like 20 mins away from you! urggh
space cadet, pull out.

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #699 on: June 01, 2011, 08:18:34 AM »
it's ZDT's house
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister