Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 918153 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Surprised to see AJFA so low

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
The biggest frustration for me was Death Magnetic - surprisingly good but what could have been a really great album is ruined by a lot of unnecessary fat on the songs (they don't have the tools - apart from Lars :neverusethis: - to be writing prog length tracks/instrumentals throughout) and Kirk Hammett is one of the few guitarists who has the special talent of ruining a whole song for me with his solos and he exceeds expectations on Death Magnetic.  :-\  Stuff like Judas Kiss could've been close to Top 10 for me if his awful solo was removed.

I agree there. A lot of the songs on DM have the makings of great songs, but they're too bloated in a contrived attempt to emulate MoP/AJFA structures, except that the instrumental sections on DM are all awful and unnecessary. Had they gone for generally shorter TBA style songs, it would have improved it a lot. Judas Kiss is my favourite from the album, and I'd potentially rank it equally high if not for that instrumental section dead weight.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
DM never did anything for me at all.  I'd easily take St Anger over it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I was going to post a list a few days ago, but the thread topic seemed to have moved on so I didn't bother. But since we're back to that, here is my likely controversial ranking of the albums:

The Black Album
Death Magnetic
Ride the Lightning
Reload
Load / Master of Puppets
Kill 'em All
...And Justice for All
St. Anger

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
It's like you got first and last right, but then accidentally got everything inbetween flipped around. :P

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't have much trouble with that Bolsters - I rate AJFA much lower than most (although not quite that low) ,  Reload higher than most (tick) and if I could take an axe to the songs I would have Death Magnetic much higher too.  The only one I would differ strongly on is Master of Puppets .

I will collate the results tomorrow.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Haven't really been into Metallica since the Load albums but I'll have a go at a ranking;

And Justice For All
Master of Puppets
Black
Ride the Lightning
Load
St Anger
Kill 'Em All
Reload
DM

Yeah, I think AJFA is my fav.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Metallica results as follows..............we got 7 album rankings which is awesome but only 2 Top 10 song lists , so I won't bother with the songs.  I am pleased to see Master of Puppets take out the crown - there was very little uniformity with the rankings other than the top four being very clear.

1. Master of Puppets

2. The Black Album
3. And Justice For All
4. Ride The Lightning

5. Kill Em All
6. Death Magnetic

7. Reload
8. Load

9. St Anger
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 04:32:56 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
No real surprises there. Personally I've always found RTL to be a bit overrated (as an album) and KEA underrated, and I wouldn't put DM or Reload ahead of Load.

And I'm positively shocked that St Anger ranked last.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That top five is pretty close to what I had

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Back from the holiday and obviously too late for the Metallica ranking. But I give it to you nonetheless, if only just to annoy you with my probably controversial ranking  :xbones

Load (the most consistent and varied album, and yes, I'm serious)
The Black Album (heavy but without much of the bloated stuff of the previous albums)
Master Of Puppets (half absolute classic, half nearly forgettable)
Ride The Lightning (good but not that great)
And Justice For All (with better production it might be higher, but not much)
Kill Them All (I like the raw energy but not most of the songs)
Death Magnetic (some decent songs but most are too long and bloated)
ReLoad (clearly the leftovers, one or two good tracks)
St. Anger (just no)

I am more a casual Metallica fan and find that almost all the albums have a lot of filler material to them. And Battery is one of the silliest songs ever recorded (maybe if it would be played tight and on time it would be better, but as it is it's just a bunch of random noise pretending to be heavy and fast).

And I have a problem with Lars' drumming style and sound, not only on St. Anger. I never liked it from the beginning and he clearly didn't improve over time.

Kirk had some good solo spots on the early albums but mostly it's "kick down the wah and fiddle around" and it ruins a lot.

The bass players are interchangeable (even Cliff up to a point) because you almost never hear them on the record.

That said, I think that James is one of the best rhythm guitar players and riff inventors in metal and a fairly good singer. If he got a better backing band I would like Metallica more.  ;D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
That said, I think that James is one of the best rhythm guitar players and riff inventors in metal and a fairly good singer. If he got a better backing band I would like Metallica more.  ;D

Out: Hammett
In : Skolnick  :tup

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
My Tallica Ranking BayBay- Yeahh !!

1. Master Of Puppets
2. Metallica
3. Ride The Lightning
4. Death Magnetic  - specifically the new iTunes version.
5. Load
6. Reload
7. And Justice For All
8. Kill Em All
9. St Anger

Lulu - even though I did enjoy it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
New instrumental track from the upcoming Gus G album......I thought his last one was pretty ordinary (despite a great cast of vocalists) .  This sounds alright for what it is (shred) ,but I am hoping for more memorable vocal songs this time around.

https://youtu.be/HjBnqXkJ7HA

The new one features Soto on 2 tracks and Mats Leven on 3 ,so again.........good vocals if the songs are there.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That's a great track!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Phil Rudd has been arrested again  :lol   No info yet on what exactly but it sounds like it might have involved Phil getting confused as to what "house arrest" means and inviting some hookers with handcuffs around .  :metal 

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Phil Rudd has been arrested again  :lol   No info yet on what exactly but it sounds like it might have involved Phil getting confused as to what "house arrest" means and inviting some hookers with handcuffs around .  :metal 

What a legend. :lol I don't see the problem.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

Reported for use of wrong emot.

:zydarscouch:

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
He goofed up

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
 Kade and I were recently chatting in the album thread about the new album by Aussie rockers (in spirit at least) The Dead Daisies featuring John Corabi , Brian Tichy and Marco Mendoza.  Sounds very Australian  :lol

Anyway - I can confirm that it is a huge step up from the debut , which wasted one of Australia's best vocalists Jon Stevens on some pretty average songs.  The new one has Corabi stepping in and doing a fine job - it does feature Jimmy Barnes on one track too.

I can't really think of an album to compare this to properly but if slightly funky , bluesy rock loosely along the lines of Voodoo Highway by Badlands appeals to you ,then I think this is a pretty safe bet.  Very competent stuff and looking at a high 80's rating.  Not a style I listen to that often but when I do this will be one of the go to albums.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Time to feature another band - or "band era" in this case.   We'll take a look at the Tony Martin era of Black Sabbath.............hopefully this will get a bit of interest outside of me and Kade  :lol.   My first Sabbath album (1990, so mid teens) was Tyr and I still love that album.   I was only a beginner when it comes to genuine metal at that time ...... I had been an Ozzy fan for a number of years but was really only vaguely aware of his connection with Sabbath via the couple of tracks on the Randy Rhoads Tribute album. Same with Dio solo.   So to me at the time Tony Martin was the voice of Black Sabbath and he is still right up there with any vocalist they have had IMHO.  It may also be my favourite Sabbath era when all is said and done.

To this day (rather weird given my love for Ozzy solo) I really haven't properly listened to all the Ozzy era Sabbath. We'll get to that after I have .

I will brush up on the albums I haven't given much time to during the week and ,as per usual, finish off the week with my ratings and a summary.   I wasn't too fond of Cross Purposes if memory serves correct.

Go for it................album rankings and Top 10 songs if you're up for it.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I would take the Tony Martin era of Sabbath any day of the week over the Ozzy era

I'll think about the songs but the albums would be

1) Headless Cross
2) Eternal Idol
3) Tyr
4) Cross Purposes
5) Forbidden

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I have Headless Cross and Tyr and I like them quite a bit, although I was never more than a casual Sabbath fan regardless of which era.

I absolute love Anno Mundi and because of the strength of this song alone Tyr is the slightly better album for me.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online gazinwales

Brent, now your talking!
This is probably my fave Sabbath line up, outside the classic Dio/Iommi/Butler/Appice.

Really strange that yesterday I was going through old hard drives and found a bootleg from 1992.
Called Tony Martin and Freinds, it has Cozy and Neil Murray on it performing Rainbow, Whitesnake and Sabbath classics.
Let me know if you need it?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Top ten songs

1) Headless Cross
2) When Death Calls
3) Devil & Daughter
4) The Shining
5) Black Moon
6) Sabbath Stones
7) Ancient Warrior
8) Hard Life to Love
9) Nightmare
10) Law Maker

Offline Lowdz

I wasn't much of a Sabbath fan with Ozzy, beyond the hits. I love the DIO albums and after that I didn't devote much time to them I did buy eternal idol and headless cross and really like it. I bought Tyr and like it well enough. Over the last few years I've given and cross purposes a go and they are quality albums. I've never heard Forbidden.

The Ian gillan album is best forgotten it ever existed.

Tony Martin had a great voice for that stuff, but I do have a soft spot for the Ray Gillen version of eternal idol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

The Ian gillan album is best forgotten it ever existed.

Tony Martin had a great voice for that stuff, but I do have a soft spot for the Ray Gillen version of eternal idol

I agree on both counts and I will do an Ian Gillan era special for you later ;D   Born Again does get a surprising amount of love but I thought it was awful.    And I have those Ray Gillen demos somewhere and they're good stuff , although it's not thaaaat much different to the Martin sound.   I do wish that Ray had managed to sing on more hard rock and metal during his career - he was so close to scoring some great gigs but never really got across the line.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The thing with Born Again was that as a whole, it was awful, Felt rushed and uncommitted. But there were a couple of GREAT moments including Disturbing The Priest, which would make my Sabbath Top 10 across all eras, and I don't think there's a single Martin era track that beats it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I can't remember much about it other than I disliked it quite a bit.   The only track I rated better than 3/5 stars in iTunes was Hot Line , so it looks like I disagree  :lol  I'm pretty sure I didn't have a great problem with his voice in Sabbath - just thought the songs weren't there and his talent wasn't used particularly well.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Hot Line blows!  :lol
I like Trashed, Zero The Hero, and Disturbing The priest. I can also live with the title track. Would've made a great EP.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Hot Line blows!  :lol

Well they all blow really....I think I was being generous.  :P    I only forced myself to listen to the lot for rating purposes. The idea of anything on that being better than everything by Martin is not computing :lol
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 01:59:38 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

I hated the guitar sound. Only song I liked was Trashed. I can listen to Zero. The rest, nah.

Headless Cross and the Shining are the standout Martin era songs.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
The only Sabbath album I have is Paranoid.  For some reason, I just never went there.  And depsite Kade's and Jay's attempts in my roulette, I'm still not there.  Neon Knights is a killer track though.  I think I borrowed the H&H from a buddy, but don't remember much about it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Chad if you gave the Dio/Martin eras a solid listen, I'm sure you would enjoy it.

I like Born Again, and Disturbing the Priest is excellent.

What are the thoughts on Seventh Star?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
What are the thoughts on Seventh Star?

Strong album.  I imagine it upsets a few Sabbath purists (and Paul esp :lol ) with Glenn Hughes on vox but I think it's a strong album on its merits.  Danger Zone , Turn To Stone and Angry Heart are faves and I pretty much like everything else to varying degrees except Heart Like A Wheel.

www.theguitardojo.com.au