Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 279627 times)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #3605 on: March 07, 2022, 08:27:43 AM »
It took me a few tries to get through the pilot over a year or so but really enjoyed it after that. But hey, tastes.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3606 on: March 07, 2022, 08:31:14 AM »
Ah, there was a great show...

I never got the appeal.

You love Picard but don't like Firefly.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3607 on: March 07, 2022, 09:42:20 AM »

I never got the appeal.

You love Picard but don't like Firefly.

I like (not love) Picard and I just didn't get Firefly - I didn't hate it, it was OK.  I just don't get the love it receives, it was just so average...maybe it had potential if it continued, but of those few episodes there was only 2 I thought were good, and some were downright bad.

Online Adami

« Reply #3608 on: March 07, 2022, 10:03:39 AM »
I'm gonna run that through a modern internet translator.

Picard is the greatest TV show ever made and Firefly is pure garbage and needs to be destroyed

But honestly, I feel you. I do love Firefly, but I was struck on repeated viewings that a number of the episodes WERE kind of meh after all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3609 on: March 07, 2022, 01:05:10 PM »
I'm gonna run that through a modern internet translator.

Picard is the greatest TV show ever made and Firefly is pure garbage and needs to be destroyed

Nah.  I'll translate it in a term I know you'll understand.
Firefly was seriously dumb.  ;D

Online Adami

« Reply #3610 on: March 07, 2022, 01:28:20 PM »
Oh no you didn’t!!

-snaps fingers-
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3611 on: March 08, 2022, 02:12:52 PM »

I never got the appeal.

Well, if you thought Malcolm Reynolds was a Han Solo ripoff, I don't think you were paying much attention to the show.  Other than both belonging to the "loveable rogue" character class, they are very different.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3613 on: March 08, 2022, 02:23:20 PM »
I've never seen Rios or Mal as Solo rip-offs, honestly. I guess Han IS the seminal lone starship captain, but in the same way that the Enterprise is the seminal ensemble ship. I don't see all other crew ships as Enterprise rips.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3614 on: March 08, 2022, 02:54:20 PM »

I never got the appeal.

Well, if you thought Malcolm Reynolds was a Han Solo ripoff, I don't think you were paying much attention to the show.  Other than both belonging to the "loveable rogue" character class, they are very different.

Both men are smugglers who have reckless streaks and have no problem conning their way to greater profit and personal gain at the expense of their own lives. They are egotistical and commanding prefering things be done their way, especially on the ships they command and love.  Both have female objects of desire who generally try to court by acting like chauvinist pricks.  Oh and both start there adventure when they are convinced to help out a brother and sister... ;D

Online Adami

« Reply #3615 on: March 08, 2022, 02:55:36 PM »
Yea. Mal and Han are not identical by any means but are quite similar in a number of ways.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3616 on: March 08, 2022, 03:24:34 PM »
They are deffo similar.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3617 on: March 09, 2022, 10:33:02 AM »

I never got the appeal.

Both men are smugglers who have reckless streaks and have no problem conning their way to greater profit and personal gain at the expense of their own lives. They are egotistical and commanding prefering things be done their way, especially on the ships they command and love.  Both have female objects of desire who generally try to court by acting like chauvinist pricks.  Oh and both start there adventure when they are convinced to help out a brother and sister... ;D
Other than that, they are definitely not alike in any way though lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3618 on: March 09, 2022, 11:29:54 AM »

I never got the appeal.

This is like astrology, where you make the statements vague enough that they can apply to a large number of people. 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3619 on: March 09, 2022, 02:01:35 PM »

I never got the appeal.

This is like astrology, where you make the statements vague enough that they can apply to a large number of people.

Ha!  Fair point

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3620 on: March 10, 2022, 11:50:46 AM »
Just finished Picard S2 E2.

I don't know.  The story is now, I guess, set up.  I like Q, but I am not crazy about the "repair the past" trope.  We'll see.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #3621 on: March 10, 2022, 11:58:50 AM »
Just finished Picard S2 E2.

I don't know.  The story is now, I guess, set up.  I like Q, but I am not crazy about the "repair the past" trope.  We'll see.

I'll watch it later today or tomorrow. However, I am getting annoyed by this and the way Discovery does it. Where everything is just set up for some moment at the very end which usually doesn't deliver much. That's now how you tell a good story, it's just how you trick people into keep watching.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3622 on: March 10, 2022, 12:42:43 PM »
But to the powers-that-be, it's the same thing.  People keep watching if it's a good story, but people also keep watching if you trick them.  They just want people to keep watching.  It seems pretty clear that good storytelling isn't really the goal here.

Online Adami

« Reply #3623 on: March 10, 2022, 03:17:18 PM »
Picard was.....not very good. Better than last season, but still really dumb. The stuff between Picard and Q was fun to watch, despite being poorly written. Those two are just great together. But I feel like one of the notes for the rest of the episode was "THROW IN EVERY NAME YOU CAN!" Seriously, Dukat, Martak, Sarek, Kirk, Spock, Spot, Sisco....probably some more I missed. Hope it gets better cause I'm really just annoyed with it right now.

Discovery....was....shockingly.....not bad. The subplot of whatever his name is going ahead to kill everyone for...whatever reason he has...is really grating. But the rest of it was good. Basically Arrival, but still cool. I wish it did this part much earlier, and got rid of like 95% of the season that was awful. But yea, see? Adami saying something good about Discovery. Next thing I'll be agreeing with Stadler!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3624 on: March 11, 2022, 04:51:30 AM »
Heard a lot of praise for that episode of Discovery across the web - but I haven't been able to watch this season in the UK.  Also heard a lot of praise for episode 2 of Picard too, which I will watch this evening.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3625 on: March 11, 2022, 07:06:46 AM »
Heard a lot of praise for that episode of Discovery across the web - but I haven't been able to watch this season in the UK.  Also heard a lot of praise for episode 2 of Picard too, which I will watch this evening.

Ep. 2 wasn't bad at all which I hope starts a trend. While that Ep. of Discovery wasn't the steaming pile of poo most other episodes have been it still contained the tried and true 'Burnham is the one who figures it out' mantra. Which leaves little doubt that when they FINALLY get to the 10C folk she will be the one with the grand speech that unites the two sides. Anyway....I'm personally way less excited or hopeful that Discovery turns the corner than I am for Picard. Looks like that one may have  a chance at least.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Adami

« Reply #3626 on: March 11, 2022, 07:37:00 AM »
I'm not seeing all the praise some of you are for Picard. I mean, it was mostly coherent, but just so shallow.

Q: I've put you in an alternate future, but don't worry....you won't be alone.
Picard: Oh? Who did you put on my team? My crew of the Enterprise that I've known for close to 40 years and trust with my life?
Q:.....no
Picard: My former Stargazer crew that served under me for the establishment of my career?
Q:....no
Picard:....then who?
Q: Those people you spent like a week with recently?

It's just such lazy writing. That coupled with MORE dystopian nonsense, more action action explosion explosion, more meaningless nostalgia amped up to 11, more mystery boxes, more of the idea that episodes serve no purpose but to set up the next episode, more "everything is connected" like the obvious twist that the mysterious Borg ultra Queen will be Picard's mom or something, and more retconning, like making Picard's only motivation the domestic abuse from his parents, mirroring Patrick Stewart instead, and undermining everything we've established about this character for close to 40 years.

Also I have no idea what use half these characters are anymore. Elron serves no purpose. Allison Pill serves no purpose but to make very very bad attempts at humor, and Rafi just seems to be there. I dunno. I'm just not seeing the praise worthy stuff. I guess that this show resembles the more modern dystopian action/adventure sci-fi, but I just see no Star Trek at all here, coupled with what I see as very poor quality writing. But who knows? Maybe it'll have some good moments.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3627 on: March 11, 2022, 08:00:35 AM »
I'm not seeing all the praise some of you are for Picard. I mean, it was mostly coherent, but just so shallow.

Don't confuse my "wasn't bad at all" for praise.  :lol  When you're accustomed to drinking urine but then get a cup of muddy water to take a sip of.....it tastes like a mountain stream.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Adami

« Reply #3628 on: March 11, 2022, 08:06:01 AM »
Fair!

But...it WAS bad. It may have been muddy water compared to urine, but muddy water is still really bad lol.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3629 on: March 11, 2022, 09:43:00 AM »

Q: I've put you in an alternate future, but don't worry....you won't be alone.
Picard: Oh? Who did you put on my team? My crew of the Enterprise that I've known for close to 40 years and trust with my life?
Q:.....no
Picard: My former Stargazer crew that served under me for the establishment of my career?
Q:....no
Picard:....then who?
Q: Those people you spent like a week with recently?

Yeah it's really shocking and annoying when it's the cast that go on adventures in their own show  😜.   When watching Murder She Wrote I'm constantly disappointed it's always Jessica Fletcher solving the crime, I mean why can't it be Columbo for once?

Online Adami

« Reply #3630 on: March 11, 2022, 09:48:37 AM »
Lazy writing!

There’s no reason at all for what they did. Simply because “it’s their show” is bad writing. I’m sorry.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3631 on: March 11, 2022, 12:07:38 PM »
Lazy writing!

There’s no reason at all for what they did. Simply because “it’s their show” is bad writing. I’m sorry.
Agreed.  The same phenomena happened to all of these various characters, thrown into a world they don't recognize, and they just happen to all get together and assemble for whatever the mission is.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3632 on: March 11, 2022, 12:46:02 PM »
Lazy writing!

That's like saying in a starship of hundreds why does the important shite only happen to the same 8 characters.  Lazy writing or just how TV shows have worked forever...

Online Adami

« Reply #3633 on: March 11, 2022, 12:48:51 PM »
Lazy writing!

That's like saying in a starship of hundreds why does the important shite only happen to the same 8 characters.

It’s really not like that at all. But I’ll drop that particular complaint. It’s a silly thing to hyper focus on.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3634 on: March 12, 2022, 08:43:14 AM »
Lazy writing!

That's like saying in a starship of hundreds why does the important shite only happen to the same 8 characters.  Lazy writing or just how TV shows have worked forever...
The two aren't mutually exclusive. Also, I'd add cheapness into the equation, as well. It's a lot cheaper to shoehorn in an existing character to a situation than to pay somebody else to do it. It rarely bothers me. I get it. At the same time it's occasionally taken to stupid extremes and that does bug me. When the Borg attack there are probably 15 guys you'd rather have at tactical than Neelix.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #3635 on: March 12, 2022, 08:58:27 AM »
And still quite different than Q choosing people he has never met or had any interaction with, or likely never even really knew about, and making them the only people to at Picard's aid simply because they were there last season. Again, if you don't have a good solution to the problem.....DON'T CREATE THE PROBLEM. They didn't have to write what they did, but they did and they resolved in a very silly way. Q didn't even seem to know that Picard got older until he arrived, and yet he knows who Seven and Juan Solo, and Rafi, and L. Ron are? And he picks them? It's not just a matter of convenience, it's just bad writing. Again, it's not a make or break, but it's just one of many issues with the show where the writing just does not care much about internal consistency or anything else other than leading to the next mystery box or action set piece.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3636 on: March 13, 2022, 01:03:09 PM »
And still quite different than Q choosing people he has never met or had any interaction with, or likely never even really knew about.

Bit like encounter at farpoint then....

Anyway watched episode 2 now.   Good, but a tad rushed - and Agents of Shield did the same plot (in a VR world).  I'm slightly worried about the year 2024 being the turning point, just hope it isn't a Presidential election, that would be too on the nose.

This cast is way better than Disco's.

Online Adami

« Reply #3637 on: March 13, 2022, 01:08:42 PM »

I'll agree there! Minus Allison Pill and L. Ron. I'd take Saru over them.

I also realized that, for the most part, I have no idea what most anyone on Discovery does. Like, I get that Michael is the captain (and everything else needed at the moment) and Saru is the first officer. Stamits is the engineer and his husband is the doctor. But everyone else? No clue. They just kind of seem to do whatever whenever. Like you could swap any of them with any of them and it wouldn't matter.

Picard definitely has more.....defined....characters if nothing else.

Also is that robot girl not part of season 2 or will she just join later? Also looking forward to seeing the Soong relative in 2024 being just Brent Spiner. That is some strong DNA there my man, haha.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3638 on: March 13, 2022, 01:44:10 PM »

I'll agree there! Minus Allison Pill and L. Ron. I'd take Saru over them.

I also realized that, for the most part, I have no idea what most anyone on Discovery does. Like, I get that Michael is the captain (and everything else needed at the moment) and Saru is the first officer. Stamits is the engineer and his husband is the doctor. But everyone else? No clue. They just kind of seem to do whatever whenever. Like you could swap any of them with any of them and it wouldn't matter.

Picard definitely has more.....defined....characters if nothing else.

Also is that robot girl not part of season 2 or will she just join later? Also looking forward to seeing the Soong relative in 2024 being just Brent Spiner. That is some strong DNA there my man, haha.

To many characters in Disco have just disappeared, died, been left behind or only show up every 5th episode. It seems to struggle to hold a consistent crew together - ive not watched any of season 4 but I've heard Tilly is gone now?

Online Adami

« Reply #3639 on: March 13, 2022, 01:54:35 PM »
Yup. Kind of randomly took off.

Didn’t seem to impact the show.
fanticide.bandcamp.com