Author Topic: "Do Not Disturb" phone mode  (Read 286 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
"Do Not Disturb" phone mode
« on: May 13, 2024, 07:35:42 AM »
My Andoid phone gets automatic updates.  One time I went to put my phone into "Airplane Mode" is discovered that I no longer have it.  Instead, there's "Do Not Disturb".  Apparently this happened during an update, and I wasn't sure what it was but it sounded like they just renamed it, so whatever, I put my phone into "Do Not Disturb".  Okay, now I have "Do Not Disturb" instead of "Airplane Mode".

It finally occurred to me to find out if there's an actual difference, and it turns out that "Do Not Disturb" is the new "Airplane Mode" but it doesn't actually cut off your wi-fi or connection; it just makes everything silent.  You still gets texts or messages or phone calls, but no notification sounds.  Perfect.  So I leave my phone in "Do Not Disturb" most of the time now because I get spam calls and spam texts and other shit that I don't actually need to know about.  I don't actually get phone calls from anyone, and if I get a text from my wife, I'll see it sooner or later.

Yesterday I got the familiar sound telling me that I have a text, and I looked and I'm still in "Do Not Disturb" but it made the sound anyway.  WTF?  I no longer know what is real and what is an illusion.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
Re: "Do Not Disturb" phone mode
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2024, 04:16:04 AM »
Samsung is gaslighting you. I still have Airplane Mode on my Android.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2024, 04:49:19 AM »
My Samsung calls it "Offline mode" but the symbol is a plane.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2024, 05:03:07 AM »
"Airplane" mode? Shirley you can't be serious.

:neverusethis:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2024, 05:19:22 AM »
Galaxy S23 here, I got both airplane mode and do not disturb.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2024, 05:52:17 AM »

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2024, 05:52:50 AM »

“I am serious….and don't call me Shirley.”  :mehlin

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2024, 05:53:58 AM »
Likely it still exists, what may have happened is that the shortcut in the swipe down quick access menu has been removed somehow.

What android version are you running? In most versions when you swipe down there should be a pen or edit symbol that allows you add/remove these quick access buttons.

https://www.makeuseof.com/add-custom-shortcuts-android-quick-settings-menu/
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2024, 07:02:21 AM »
I'm not really looking to restore Airplane(!) mode.  Do Not Disturb actually makes more sense.  Stay connected, just have a handy way of turning off all notification sounds.  I was just surprised when I heard the noise and saw that I had a text, but I was still in Do Not Disturb, and I was wondering if others have had similar experiences.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2024, 07:24:37 AM »
I'm not really looking to restore Airplane(!) mode.  Do Not Disturb actually makes more sense.  Stay connected, just have a handy way of turning off all notification sounds.  I was just surprised when I heard the noise and saw that I had a text, but I was still in Do Not Disturb, and I was wondering if others have had similar experiences.

You don't fly much, though, right?   I would hope there's still "Airplane Mode".  I don't want my plane to nosedive because someone just turned off the sound. :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2024, 07:49:09 AM »
I love using do not disturb. There are a select few people that I have given allowance to still push the notification through - like my mother or husband. I wonder if you've got this set up some how for whatever notification made its way through to you. I have an iphone though.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2024, 08:28:21 AM »
I haven't used the DND feature even though it's exactly what I need. I just have my phone on silent the entire time and only answer phones when I see a familiar number. I probably should try it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline pg1067

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2024, 10:15:00 AM »
You don't fly much, though, right?   I would hope there's still "Airplane Mode".  I don't want my plane to nosedive because someone just turned off the sound. :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Shit...I haven't used "airplane mode" on a flight in at least a decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHwriLZJdB0

For the most part, I just turn my volume all the way down.  I still get the little red dots, but there's no sound.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2024, 10:31:25 AM »
I use airplane mode on flights because there's no reason not to. Phone doesn't work. Not paying for wifi. Bluetooth and GPS still work.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2024, 10:33:19 AM »
That's the green.  I honestly haven't either.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2024, 10:38:36 AM »
A pilot running an AMA had the best answer to the age old airplane mode discussion. Even if it isn't necessary they'll always maintain that it's vital to keep planes from crashing just so they don't have a captive 300 people all yammering aimlessly about nothing. Christ, imagine how much worse flights would be if everybody could yak on their phones the entire flight. The day they manage to secure cell signals in flights will be a dark day in history.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2024, 10:58:17 AM »
:lol  I never thought about that.  That's actually a damned good reason to not have cell service on planes.

I love using do not disturb. There are a select few people that I have given allowance to still push the notification through - like my mother or husband. I wonder if you've got this set up some how for whatever notification made its way through to you. I have an iphone though.

Not a bad thought.  I tend to mess around with my phone settings, always tweaking things to get things to work just the way I want them to (if that's possible) so it makes sense that, given the option, I'd allow my texts from my wife or kids to notify me, and everyone else can wait until I happen to notice.  I may have done that; I don't remember.  I have to see if that's an option on my phone.  Old Motorola Z-something.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2024, 01:49:11 PM »
I use airplane mode on flights because there's no reason not to. Phone doesn't work. Not paying for wifi. Bluetooth and GPS still work.

Yeah, and might as well not eat up the battery power (in case you don't have a charger or power in your seat). 

As for DND mode, ....

Galaxy S23 here, I got both airplane mode and do not disturb.

This is me.  But I never noticed DND mode until now.  However, I'm not sure it's necessary for my set up where I have it set to not make any noises and most apps are silenced to not give any alerts.  Same with any group chat , regardless of app.  I'm wayyy too anal to have notifications go off all day. But it kind of sounds like the same thing wtihout the hassle of micromanaging.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2024, 02:22:55 PM »
Not related to DND, but on the subject of Galaxy S (S10 in my case), my phone has been randomly apologizing to me for the last week. For no reason whatsoever "I'm sorry, I don't understand." Even in the wee hours when there's no noise to even confuse it. It wouldn't be so bad if it would apologize for meaningful things. Things that might make me feel better. "Hey dude, sorry about the hair," or "oof, it's four in the morning, my bad." It's always "I don't understand," which I guess is kind of funny in an existential crisis sort of way, but still annoying as hell.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2024, 04:57:34 PM »
I often get free wifi on planes (or I expense it), so....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung