Author Topic: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - #1 Song Revealed!  (Read 34738 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - Almost to the Top 10!
« Reply #595 on: October 31, 2022, 10:10:11 AM »
Through Different Eyes was 38 for me.  But I don't really have issues with it being higher.

One was #13.  I think this is an incredible song and live it has so much energy.  I would have ranked it even higher if I could have ranked APSOG as one song. :)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #596 on: October 31, 2022, 10:18:07 AM »
Through Different Eyes - I had this one at #18, so not too far off the forum's consensus. I really love this direction they took. It was the precursor to Parallels, and was a very cool turn for the band.

One - As everyone sees, I had this as my #2. This song is the one that hooked me on Fates. I've told this story before, but I never checked out FW in the late-80s and early-90s because I thought they were some death metal band with harsh vocals. Remember, I didn't have MTV, and when I did see MTV, they were never on. In 1997, I decided to take the plunge on the whole Columbia House thing and got APSOG. And I thought it sucked back then (I changed my mind, obviously).

So fast forward again another six years to 2003. Mrs. Samsara was like: How can you be this massive Queensryche and Dream Theater fan and not like Fates Warning? It doesn't make sense! So I listened to Parallels and loved it. Then we saw Fates with QR/DT twice that summer. Absolutely blew me away, and the song that made me run out and get the whole catalog was "One." Just the energy, mood, and riffing. Struck a chord in me. To this day, that song NEVER gets old. So yes, my #2 FW tune.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #597 on: October 31, 2022, 10:32:16 AM »
One - As everyone sees, I had this as my #2. This song is the one that hooked me on Fates. I've told this story before, but I never checked out FW in the late-80s and early-90s because I thought they were some death metal band with harsh vocals. Remember, I didn't have MTV, and when I did see MTV, they were never on. In 1997, I decided to take the plunge on the whole Columbia House thing and got APSOG. And I thought it sucked back then (I changed my mind, obviously).

:lol

I love looking back at stuff like this and laughing at myself.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lethean

« Reply #598 on: October 31, 2022, 10:49:10 AM »
Samsara, I was already a Fates Warning fan before that tour (though not for all that long), but had never seen them live and their set definitely took my fandom up a few notches.  They were so energetic and One was phenomenal.  No matter how many times they play it, I'll never get tired of it either. 

Offline nick_z

« Reply #599 on: October 31, 2022, 10:54:27 AM »
Through Different Eyes - My rank: #20

Fantastic song, just making my top 20. To me, it always worked great on the album, following the craziness of Part of the Machine. Good way to catch your breath, if you will. No doubt this is FW trying their hand at a more accessible kind of tune, but even here they can't help themselves with odd stuff  ;) I'm thinking about DiBiase's wonderful work in tandem with Zonder during the verses. The vocals and the guitars are so good in the chorus.

One - My rank: #23

One of my favorites out of the more "modern-sounding" Fates Warning tunes. Love the way it starts, with the guitar being joined by the bass and then the drums. Such a strong pre-chorus and chorus. Great song.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - It...is...on!
« Reply #600 on: October 31, 2022, 11:18:23 AM »
No.  Ranked Songs                             Not Ranked Songs
50   One                                             Face the Fear
49   Left Here                                       Don't Follow Me
48                                                       Exodus
47   Another Perfect Day                       Handful of Doubt
46                                                       Down to the Wire
45                                                       Chasing Time
44                                                       White Flag
43                                                       The Destination Onward
42                                                       Something from Nothing
41                                                       We Only Say Goodbye
40                                                       The Apparition   
39                                                       Wish
38                                                       Guardian
37   The Strand   
36   Outside Looking In   
35   Pale Fire
33   The Longest Shadow of the Day   
32   Part of the Machine   
30   Silent Cries   
29   Firefly   
27   Through Different Eyes   
26   APSOG III   
24   APSOG VI   
23   APSOG VII   
22   APSOG V   
20   And Yet It Moves   
17   The Road Goes on Forever   
16   Seven Stars   
15   Don’t Follow Me   
14   Island in the Stream   
13   APSOG VIII
12   APSOG IX   
10   APSOG X/XI
  6   Shelter Me/Circles   
  4   Eye to Eye   
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Realm

« Reply #601 on: October 31, 2022, 03:04:52 PM »

13 Through Different Eyes (Perfect Symmetry – 4)

Appeared on 15 of 19 entries
Top 10 finishes: 3
Highest Ranking: 3 (wolfking)

12 One (Disconnected – 2)

Appeared on 18 of 19 entries
Highest Ranking: 2 (Samsara, The Realm)

Through Different Eyes - I had this at 45. Really good song.

One - my number 2. If I had to guess the 3 songs on everyone's list (I have no idea so that is why I haven't) I would have put One as one of the three. I guess it just missed out on being the case. The main riff in this song is huge, my favourite version is on Live Over Europe. I love that live album and that really helped elevate this song to my number 2.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #602 on: October 31, 2022, 03:10:35 PM »
13 Through Different Eyes (Perfect Symmetry – 4)

Appeared on 15 of 19 entries
Highest Ranking: 3 (wolfking)

12 One (Disconnected – 2)

Appeared on 18 of 19 entries
Highest Ranking: 2 (Samsara, The Realm)

I had Through Different Eyes at #47.  Yeah, I'm also very surprised this is this high. It's a decent song for sure though.

I had One at #21. It's a strong song. Gets Disconnected off to a nice start. Short and focused.

50  Prelude To Ruin                                                                            NR
49  Damnation                                                                             Handful Of Doubt
48  APSOG IX (Stayed Up Late One Night)                     Chasing Time
47  Through Different Eyes                                           APSOG III
46  APSOG VIII (Instrumental)                                     White Flag
45                                                                              APSOG IV
44  Traveller In Time                                                    Firefly
43                                                                              The Destination Onward
42  Pale Fire                                                                Left Here
41                                                                              The Road Goes On Forever
40  Outside Looking In                                                 Island In The Stream
39  The Longest Shadow Of The Day                             APSOG V (Murder In Munich)
38  Face The Fear                                                        Part Of The Machine
37                                                                              Wish
36  Another Perfect Day                                               APSOG VII
35  The Apparition                                                       Seven Stars
34                                                                              Eye To Eye
33  Buried Alive                                                           At Fates Hands
32  Silent Cries                                                            APSOG XII
31  Don't Follow Me
30  Giant's Lore
25  Valley Of The Dolls
24  And Yet It Moves
22  APSOG XI (Do You Think That I)
21  One
20  Pirates Of The Underground
17  Exodus
16  Epitaph
13  The Strand
11  APSOG VI (Turn Back All The Years)
10  Shelter Me
9  Guardian
8  Kyrie Eleison
6  Down To The Wire
4  Something For Nothing
3  We Only Say Goodbye

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #603 on: October 31, 2022, 03:26:16 PM »
One - my number 2. If I had to guess the 3 songs on everyone's list (I have no idea so that is why I haven't) I would have put One as one of the three. I guess it just missed out on being the case. The main riff in this song is huge, my favourite version is on Live Over Europe. I love that live album and that really helped elevate this song to my number 2.

Yup.  As previously mentioned, only three songs appeared on every list.  Two songs (including One) appeared on 18/19 lists, and two others appeared on 17/19 lists.  One song in the top 10 appeared on "only" 15/19 lists.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #604 on: October 31, 2022, 04:15:33 PM »
To me, Through Different Eyes is just a perfect melodic rock song with those prog tinges, it's just near perfect.  Love the dual leads with the harmonies at the end too.

I had One at 14.  What a simple, damn good riff.  The same with the excellent chorus too.  Wonderful atmosphere.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #605 on: October 31, 2022, 04:37:26 PM »
To me, Through Different Eyes is just a perfect melodic rock song with those prog tinges, it's just near perfect.  Love the dual leads with the harmonies at the end too.

I had One at 14.  What a simple, damn good riff.  The same with the excellent chorus too.  Wonderful atmosphere.

Absolutely! 100%  :tup :metal

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #606 on: October 31, 2022, 05:47:56 PM »
I have Through Different Eyes at #17.

I guess I’m the one person who didn’t rank One. I’ll have to give it another listen to see what I’m missing. The Disconnected album has never resonated with me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #607 on: October 31, 2022, 06:34:13 PM »

I guess I’m the one person who didn’t rank One. I’ll have to give it another listen to see what I’m missing. The Disconnected album has never resonated with me.

So you're the....One?  :neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

Re: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - Top 20 in progress!
« Reply #608 on: October 31, 2022, 07:32:01 PM »

Also, no one ever PM'd me to guess about the three songs included on all 19 lists.

Forgot about this...alright, just sent my guesses...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #609 on: October 31, 2022, 07:36:05 PM »

Also, no one ever PM'd me to guess about the three songs included on all 19 lists.

As did I.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #610 on: October 31, 2022, 08:11:53 PM »

As did I.

Yours and one other have been received.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #611 on: October 31, 2022, 08:12:36 PM »

PM sent also :tup

Through Different Eyes #8
Pretty much what Wolf already said sums this one up nicely, love it!

One #12
While Disconnected is well down my list of preferred Fates loved this track on first listen.  I would often hang with a mate afterhours who worked a music store and we played this one over and over for a few weeks such a great song.  That said had even greater appreciation for it when watched the Live In Athens DVD too, great energy!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #612 on: November 01, 2022, 08:36:56 AM »

As did I.

Yours and one other have been received.

PM sent.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #613 on: November 01, 2022, 09:28:09 AM »

11 From the Rooftops (Theories of Flight – 3)

Appeared on 16 of 19 entries
Top 10 finishes: 4
Highest Ranking: 5 (romdrums)

I was late to the party with Theories of Flight.  I heard whichever song got the pre-album release and thought it sounded cool but never really returned to it.  I then bought the album when it was released, but it did not initially click with me.  Not really sure what happened, but I put it on one day and was completely blown away by From the Rooftops.  The build-up section is just the right length before that massive 5-6-7 riff hits you like a ton of bricks.  The chorus and the bridge are absolutely phenomenal.  This is my highest ranked TOF song and my #6 overall.

P.S.  The gap between song #12 (One) and song #11 (Rooftops) was 67 points, which is pretty huge.  In fact, it is, BY FAR, the biggest gap between any two consecutive songs up to this point.  By way of comparison, the gap between song #41 and the three songs that tied at #49 was only 29 points.  The gap between #31 and #40 was 61 points; the gap between #21 and #30 was 60 points; and the gap between #12 and #20 was 28 points.  And...spoiler alert...the gap between song #3 and #4 was 110 points!

Also, none of the six guesses I received about the three songs on ever list were correct.  A couple came close.  One was an 0-fer.  You can still send them in, but it will obviously get easier as we start to progress through the top 10.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #614 on: November 01, 2022, 09:56:58 AM »
From the Rooftops came in at #13 for me, so pretty close to the forum's consensus. I just love how the song builds. Great opener for Theories of Flight and the tour.

Unreal, I can't believe I didn't get the three songs on every list right. Then again, I forget that TAC took part, and that throws everything apart.  :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #615 on: November 01, 2022, 10:35:04 AM »
Woot! High score!

From the Rooftops slapped my face before melting it the first time I heard it, especially once that riff kicks in.  Bobby Jarzombek's drumming is both tasteful and relentless in this song, and Ray crushes this vocally.  I love the edge on his voice here.  Opening Theories of Flight with this song let me know that they weren't fucking around.  Killer tune!  :metal
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #616 on: November 01, 2022, 10:35:37 AM »
#15 for me.  What a great opening track to a great album.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #617 on: November 01, 2022, 12:20:42 PM »
Unreal, I can't believe I didn't get the three songs on every list right. Then again, I forget that TAC took part, and that throws everything apart.  :lol

You can't blame Tim for this one!   :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #618 on: November 01, 2022, 12:27:41 PM »

:lol :lol :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #619 on: November 01, 2022, 01:16:02 PM »

Yes. Yes, I can.  :lol :heart

Offline The Realm

« Reply #620 on: November 01, 2022, 02:50:19 PM »

From The Rooftops - my number 21. Great song on a great album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #621 on: November 01, 2022, 03:37:03 PM »

I had From The Rooftops as Not Rated. It did, however, get nominated so it would've landed in the 50's somewhere. It's a good song. Feels like it takes a bit to get going.

50  Prelude To Ruin                                                                            NR
49  Damnation                                                                             Handful Of Doubt
48  APSOG IX (Stayed Up Late One Night)                     Chasing Time
47  Through Different Eyes                                           APSOG III
46  APSOG VIII (Instrumental)                                     White Flag
45                                                                              APSOG IV
44  Traveller In Time                                                    Firefly
43                                                                              The Destination Onward
42  Pale Fire                                                                Left Here
41                                                                              The Road Goes On Forever
40  Outside Looking In                                                 Island In The Stream
39  The Longest Shadow Of The Day                             APSOG V (Murder In Munich)
38  Face The Fear                                                        Part Of The Machine
37                                                                              Wish
36  Another Perfect Day                                               APSOG VII
35  The Apparition                                                       Seven Stars
34                                                                              Eye To Eye
33  Buried Alive                                                           At Fates Hands
32  Silent Cries                                                            APSOG XII
31  Don't Follow Me                                                     From The Rooftops
30  Giant's Lore
25  Valley Of The Dolls
24  And Yet It Moves
22  APSOG XI (Do You Think That I)
21  One
20  Pirates Of The Underground
17  Exodus
16  Epitaph
13  The Strand
11  APSOG VI (Turn Back All The Years)
10  Shelter Me
9  Guardian
8  Kyrie Eleison
6  Down To The Wire
4  Something For Nothing
3  We Only Say Goodbye

Offline pg1067

« Reply #622 on: November 01, 2022, 04:17:15 PM »

Yes. Yes, I can.  :lol :heart

From the Rooftops slapped my face before melting it the first time I heard it, especially once that riff kicks in.  Bobby Jarzombek's drumming is both tasteful and relentless in this song, and Ray crushes this vocally.  I love the edge on his voice here.  Opening Theories of Flight with this song let me know that they weren't fucking around.  Killer tune!  :metal

Could not agree more with every bit of this.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #623 on: November 01, 2022, 05:25:25 PM »

Also, none of the six guesses I received about the three songs on ever list were correct.  A couple came close.  One was an 0-fer.  You can still send them in, but it will obviously get easier as we start to progress through the top 10.

Am I the 0-fer?  :biggrin:

Offline nick_z

Re: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - Top 10 Starts Tomorrow!
« Reply #624 on: November 01, 2022, 05:31:42 PM »
From the Rooftops - My rank: #26

Wow, didn't expect this to almost make the top 10. I mean, I think it's a wonderful song, it's just the ranking itself that's very high. When I first listened to Theories of Flight, and this song got going, I remember thinking how much stronger Ray sounded compared to DIADL. Love the "There's nothing that time can't end" part in the chorus.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #625 on: November 01, 2022, 05:49:18 PM »
Through Different Eyes just missed my list at #52. This and The Arena are my least faves from PS, and the only two that didn’t rank. I just never cared for most of the times Jim went for the “single” approach. But it’s good.

One came in at #33 - great straight ahead rocker, and a nice offset to the more patient approach to the rest of the album.

From the Rooftops is at #40 for me. Excellent way to start off one of their best albums!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #626 on: November 01, 2022, 05:53:25 PM »
I have From the Rooftops at #27. My second highest ranked song from TOF.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #627 on: November 01, 2022, 06:01:00 PM »
Updating the album rankings as we head into the top 10:

1. A Pleasant Shade of Gray (9 songs, 198 points):  VIII (47T), III (43), IV (40), X/XI (28), V (27), IX (25), VII (21T), XII (16), VI (14T)

2. Inside Out (7 songs, 123 points):  Face the Fear (49T), Down to the Wire (45T), The Strand (34), Island in the Stream (30), Shelter Me/Circles (29), Outside Looking In (26), Pale Fire (21T)

3. Perfect Symmetry (4 songs, 106 points):  Chasing Time (44), Part of the Machine (24), At Fates Hands/Fingers (17), Through Different Eyes (13)

4. Theories of Flight (3 songs, 81 points):  White Flag (42), Seven Stars (19), From the Rooftops (11)

5. FWX (4 songs, 76 points):  Handful of Doubt (47T), Left Here (37), Another Perfect Day (31), Wish (23)

6. Parallels (4 songs, 68 points):  Don't Follow Me (49T), The Road Goes on Forever (36), We Only Say Goodbye (33), Eye to Eye (18)

7. Disconnected (2 songs, 55 points):  Something from Nothing (35), One (12)

8. Darkness in a Different Light (2 songs, 43 points):  Firefly (39), And Yet It Moves (20)

9. Awaken the Guardian (2 songs, 39 points):  Exodus (49T), Guardian (14T)

10T. Long Day Good Night (2 songs, 19 points):  The Longest Shadow of the Day (45T), The Destination Onward (38)

10T. The Spectre Within (1 song, 19 points):  The Apparition (32)

12. No Exit (1 song, 10 points):  Silent Cries (41)

13. Night on Brocken (0 songs)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #628 on: November 01, 2022, 06:13:51 PM »
Wow, high ranking for this one.  It just missed my list.  Good song with another great Aresti solo but just not all that memorable compared to other tracks for me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #629 on: November 01, 2022, 06:16:56 PM »
Night On Brocken got robbed.