Author Topic: The Dear Hunter v Act III: Life and Death Live Stream (5/7 and 5/14/24)  (Read 346228 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Dear Hunter - Act IV: Rebirth in Reprise (new info linked on last pg 83)
« Reply #2975 on: October 11, 2015, 08:40:59 PM »
I saw them in Atlanta last night. Perfect. Gates and Chon did great and The Dear Hunter was amazing. The crowd really brought the show to life too. Casey is hilarious and such a good person.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: The Dear Hunter - Act IV: Rebirth in Reprise (new info linked on last pg 83)
« Reply #2976 on: October 12, 2015, 01:18:41 AM »
I've been listening to Act IV a lot recently and it's so damn good. I think it's definitely top 3 of what has been released this year, I like it that much. I'm also tempted to say that if it keeps growing on me like it's doing, it will one day overtake Act II as my favourite TDH record. It's so nice and varied and the little Act II reprises are amazing. The stretch of songs from A Night on the Town to King of Swords is probably one of the best they've ever done. That's half the album? So what, I'm in love with this record :D
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2977 on: October 12, 2015, 03:34:22 AM »
I think my favorite run is Suite IV to Ouroboros..er...so also half the album, just the latter.  :lol Also Ouro might be my favorite. The definition of how you end an album. Plus the name is like my favorite word... if I had such a thing.  :P :tup

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2978 on: October 12, 2015, 03:42:43 AM »
I'd say the album dips in quality after King of Swords and definitely drops a notch, but everything from the beginning up until (and including) King of Swords is so great, that even with those last 10-15 minutes being a bit of a dud, you still get that brilliant first hour. Even though I consider Act IV almost on par with Act II, Act II definitely warrants the longer run time IMO. It starts great, has a great middle and doesn't really run out of steam, and some of the final tracks on it are among the best on the album.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2979 on: October 12, 2015, 03:56:29 AM »
I'm addicted to this album man, I've already listened to it 3 times and I only found out about it yesterday! Favorite song is Bitter Suite iv and v by a mile.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #2980 on: October 12, 2015, 08:24:59 AM »
Act III is great but it doesn't really have any standout songs for me. It's a big chunk of goodness, but I prefer Act I over it, and definitely Act II and Act IV. Still, weakest out of the acts, still a good album.

The Tank? Mustard Gas? The Poison Woman? He Said He Had a Story? Life and Death?

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #2981 on: October 12, 2015, 08:55:55 AM »
Act III is great but it doesn't really have any standout songs for me. It's a big chunk of goodness, but I prefer Act I over it, and definitely Act II and Act IV. Still, weakest out of the acts, still a good album.

The Tank? Mustard Gas? The Poison Woman? He Said He Had a Story? Life and Death?
The Thief?
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2982 on: October 12, 2015, 11:20:16 AM »

The Thief?

+1. The Thief may be my favorite on the album.

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #2983 on: October 12, 2015, 06:10:48 PM »
Surprised, and glad, to see the love for Ouroboros on here; I only had lukewarm vibes from it elsewhere.  I personally love it.  My favorite TDH closer by far and epic in a somewhat minimalistic sort of way.  Both halves are ridiculously catchy and yet dark.

"Traveled too far from the riverside."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2984 on: October 13, 2015, 02:20:28 AM »
I wouldn't say Ouroboros is a standout for me at all. It's fine, but it doesn't feel like it really ends properly - perhaps it will lead into Act V in an interesting way but as it is it doesn't feel like a closer.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2985 on: October 13, 2015, 06:05:41 AM »
I wouldn't say Ouroboros is a standout for me at all. It's fine, but it doesn't feel like it really ends properly - perhaps it will lead into Act V in an interesting way but as it is it doesn't feel like a closer.

It's kinda forgettable. Not bad, but like a few of the other songs towards the end, just kinda forgettable. The album starts off really great, has a really great middle but ends okay. That's really the only thing keeping it from being a serious album of the year contender for me. It's still up there, maybe in my top5 (at least in the top6-7, but it's almost like a blessing and a curse with TDH that they pack their albums with so much stuff. They could easily have ended the album after King of Swords, have it be around 60 minutes and it would have been almost flawless, but Casey likes to pack his Acts with 75 minutes of music, so it is what it is.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2986 on: October 13, 2015, 06:49:16 AM »

It's kinda forgettable. Not bad, but like a few of the other songs towards the end, just kinda forgettable. The album starts off really great, has a really great middle but ends okay. That's really the only thing keeping it from being a serious album of the year contender for me. It's still up there, maybe in my top5 (at least in the top6-7, but it's almost like a blessing and a curse with TDH that they pack their albums with so much stuff. They could easily have ended the album after King of Swords, have it be around 60 minutes and it would have been almost flawless, but Casey likes to pack his Acts with 75 minutes of music, so it is what it is.

I agree. There are 3 or 4 tracks on the album that could easily have been left off.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2987 on: October 13, 2015, 09:15:44 AM »

I don't agree with your choices of songs (I love Wait and End of the Line) but I agree that, like Act II, it's maybe slightly over-long. Act III was perfect in that regard, which I think is a large part of why it stands out above the others for me.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2988 on: October 13, 2015, 09:17:08 AM »
I still need to give Act II more listens, but I agree with you Rich, Act III is perfect.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #2989 on: October 13, 2015, 10:54:59 AM »
all this "end of the album" talk has me in disbelief over the lack of love for If All Goes Well.
one of the standouts for sure for me, and maybe the only song that could hold its own and keep things rolling as a follow-up to King Of Swords.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2990 on: October 13, 2015, 11:12:13 AM »
After several listens, I think from the start to King of Swords and including Wait is the most consistent material they have written so far. The other tracks after King of Swords make me impatient for Wait.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2991 on: October 13, 2015, 11:47:38 AM »
In particular, the standouts for me are Rebirth, The Old Haunt, A Night on the Town, Squeaky Wheel, Bitter Suite iv and v and King of Swords, so yeah, mainly the first half.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2992 on: October 13, 2015, 12:54:26 PM »
"Wait" sounds like a song from the Black EP.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2993 on: October 13, 2015, 01:04:34 PM »
SO not surprised I'm in the minority for the billionth time in thinking the latter-half is best. I fucking love it. I couldn't agree more with this though:

It is literally the first thing that popped into my head upon hearing it for the first time. Great track.

RIP DTP.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2994 on: October 13, 2015, 01:06:10 PM »

It is literally the first thing that popped into my head upon hearing it for the first time. Great track.
Same. In fact:

Hah, probably my favourite of the three. I love when TDH do darker stuff, and this has a bit of a Black EP vibe to it.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #2995 on: October 13, 2015, 04:11:32 PM »
all this "end of the album" talk has me in disbelief over the lack of love for If All Goes Well.
one of the standouts for sure for me, and maybe the only song that could hold its own and keep things rolling as a follow-up to King Of Swords.

My favorite off the album. So good, would've loved if they played it on this tour.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #2996 on: October 13, 2015, 06:10:33 PM »
Totes agree about Wait/Black EP. In fact, I thought of bringing up that very thing earlier today, pre getting inb4'd by y'all.

Oh, and I would probably say it trumps the four songs on said EP.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2997 on: October 13, 2015, 06:51:25 PM »
Wait is an amazing song. The chorus is so good.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #2998 on: October 13, 2015, 09:42:43 PM »
After several listens, I think from the start to King of Swords and including Wait is the most consistent material they have written so far. The other tracks after King of Swords make me impatient for Wait.

whaaaat If All Goes Well is awesome!

...my name is Araragi.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2999 on: October 14, 2015, 01:02:19 AM »
"If all goes well" has the bad luck to be placed after "King of Seords" while being very similar but inferior. Like an appetizer that is served right after the main dish.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3000 on: October 14, 2015, 12:09:37 PM »
Shitty metaphor is shitty.

;D

DESERT FIRST! APPS LAST!

Also guys, my King of Swords is reversed, does anyone have it in order?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 01:04:01 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3001 on: October 14, 2015, 01:25:46 PM »
Try reversing the song, then learn to play that song, and reversing at again, that way when you play it, you'll have the original.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3002 on: October 14, 2015, 02:14:26 PM »
 :o

I dunno why I didn't think of that! It's so obvious! Being the musician god that I am, I did it!

Sword of Kings!!

< Can only play smoke on the water on guitar and not even that good.

Ed:

The Line is SOOOO GOOOOOOOD.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 05:48:38 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3003 on: November 05, 2015, 06:45:27 AM »
Ok, so after probably 10 listens, here is my ranking of all their albums.

1. Act III
2. Act IV
3. Act II
4. Migrant
5. The Color Spectrum
6. Act I

1-3 are all extremely close. 4-6 are all extremely close as well, but clearly lower than the top 3.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3004 on: January 26, 2016, 12:41:36 AM »
Damn, this album is still in heavy rotation, it's that good. Act IV might be their best work to date, I'm having so much fun listening to this. So much variety, from The Squeaky Wheel to Wait, this album really is amazing.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3005 on: January 26, 2016, 01:06:08 AM »
Can't argue with that at all, it's been my go-to album as well, I can't really pick favorite songs anymore at this point, they're actually that good together.

The ones I'm most drawn to currently are Wait and At the End of the Earth, both get really strong near the end.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 01:11:43 AM by Train of Naught »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3006 on: January 26, 2016, 01:45:51 AM »
Yeah I'm still spinning this pretty consistently. The Line is still by far my favorite but per norm it usually rotates with most of the other songs daily; it's just that The Line stays up there the most.

To say it's a fantastic work of art is an understatement. I never do lists or rankings for a reason but with albums I can usually pick out a pretty clear "majority-of-the-time-favorite" album. I can't do that with TDH.  :lol

RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3007 on: January 26, 2016, 02:31:39 AM »
As much as I love Periphery's and TesseracT's new stuff, this is probably my 2015 album of the year.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3008 on: January 26, 2016, 08:52:16 AM »
I don't know my favorite song from the album but if I had to pick it would either be Rebirth, The Old Haunt, Waves, At The End of The Earth, Remembered, A Night on the Town, Is There Anybody Here?, The Squeaky Wheel, Bitter Suite IV and V, Bitter Suite VI, King of Swords (Reversed), If All Goes Well, The Line, Wait, or Ouroboros.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3009 on: January 26, 2016, 09:13:44 AM »
another small European Tour this March for those who didn't see

https://www.thedearhunter.com/