3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 189298 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Super Bowl LIII - Patriots vs. Rams
« Reply #3045 on: January 21, 2019, 11:34:28 AM »
To be this consistent in this era designed to promote parity......it's absolutely incredible. Hate em if you want to or need to, but there is no denying how great of an accomplishment this sustained success of New England has been.

Exactly. This isn't a joke league like MLB where the Yankees can buy their way to a dynasty. I'm not a Patriots fan, but I am a Patriots admirer and they are bar none the most impressive professional sports franchise of the past 20 years.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3046 on: January 21, 2019, 03:24:01 PM »
The OT doesn't happen if the call is made correctly. It's like telling someone they'd have never been evicted if they would've had a second job to make money cuz their primary job skipped town and never paid them.

True, but Brady got to OT and won it.  Brees had the same opportunity and didn't.

*eyeroll* Like Brady had to deal with even 5% of the ref screwjobs Brees did. Shit, Brady routinely benefits from shaky reffing.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3047 on: January 21, 2019, 03:35:55 PM »
The OT doesn't happen if the call is made correctly. It's like telling someone they'd have never been evicted if they would've had a second job to make money cuz their primary job skipped town and never paid them.

True, but Brady got to OT and won it.  Brees had the same opportunity and didn't.

*eyeroll* Like Brady had to deal with even 5% of the ref screwjobs Brees did. Shit, Brady routinely benefits from shaky reffing.

Why do you hurt me lover?  Why? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3048 on: January 21, 2019, 03:57:19 PM »
Saints fans have every right to bitch. Brutal.

As far as OT rules, if "your" defense can keep a team out of the end zone, then "you" do get the ball. I don't understand the everyone should get the ball complaint. Last time I checked, the defense is half of your team.

Not in reaction to yesterday, but it's how I feel about it in general.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #3049 on: January 21, 2019, 04:07:11 PM »

As far as OT rules, if "your" defense can keep a team out of the end zone, then "you" do get the ball. I don't understand the everyone should get the ball complaint. Last time I checked, the defense is half of your team.

honest question, do you believe the NFL favors the offense or defense when it comes to rules?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3050 on: January 21, 2019, 04:34:50 PM »
I generally agree with TAC's sentiment, but given that the league has heavily changed the rules to benefit the offense in a big way, it's gotten to a situation where whichever team wins the coin flip has a huge advantage.  I think a simple solution is, each team gets a possession in OT, that way if the team that gets it first gets a TD, the other team then has to score one to keep it going.  Then it becomes true sudden death.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3051 on: January 21, 2019, 04:37:51 PM »

I generally agree with TAC's sentiment, but given that the league has heavily changed the rules to benefit the offense in a big way, it's gotten to a situation where whichever team wins the coin flip has a huge advantage.  I think a simple solution is, each team gets a possession in OT, that way if the team that gets it first gets a TD, the other team then has to score one to keep it going.  Then it becomes true sudden death.

I don't feel strongly either way, tbh, but I think by making the argument, we are letting the Defense off the hook.

I mean, what percentage of OT games are won by a TD on the first possession? I don't know.

honest question, do you believe the NFL favors the offense or defense when it comes to rules?

Certainly a valid point. But we're talking about keeping a team out of the end zone. Just hold them to a field goal.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3052 on: January 21, 2019, 04:46:25 PM »
I think this is reasonable, but we're talking about this because of one game.* How often does a team actually take the opening drive in for a touchdown? Ten percent, maybe? Even with the rules the way they are it seems pretty uncommon to me. You see D win out more often than not, and you certainly see more fieldgoals. What I've seen is that most teams aren't all that aggressive in OT. They're happy to settle for a FG if that's what they can get. NE seems to always play TD or bust, and they have a QB that can pull it off more often than not. That's not a problem with the rules.

*And frankly, I think we're talking about it because of this game and this outcome. Would there be any clamoring for a rule change if KC had done the same thing? There wasn't any when Larry Fitzgerald scored on an opening OT possession, denying St. Rogers the opportunity to score. I'm honestly kind of surprised that this is really a thing.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3053 on: January 21, 2019, 04:51:17 PM »
I think this is reasonable, but we're talking about this because of one game.* How often does a team actually take the opening drive in for a touchdown? Ten percent, maybe? Even with the rules the way they are it seems pretty uncommon to me. You see D win out more often than not, and you certainly see more fieldgoals. What I've seen is that most teams aren't all that aggressive in OT. They're happy to settle for a FG if that's what they can get. NE seems to always play TD or bust, and they have a QB that can pull it off more often than not. That's not a problem with the rules.

*And frankly, I think we're talking about it because of this game and this outcome. Would there be any clamoring for a rule change if KC had done the same thing? There wasn't any when Larry Fitzgerald scored on an opening OT possession, denying St. Rogers the opportunity to score. I'm honestly kind of surprised that this is really a thing.

Hmmm, I seem to remember it being talked about then as well, as it was considered a bad look for the league.  Aaron Rodgers pulled off an incredible throw to send the game to OT...and then never got to touch the ball.  Then yesterday, the AFCCG goes to overtime and the (likely) NFL MVP doesn't even get to play.  I am not sure what the solution is, but a tweaking is in order, especially with the rules constantly changing to help the offense.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #3054 on: January 21, 2019, 04:54:52 PM »
I feel the OT rules come up every time one team never gets the ball.  Let’s face it, the coin flip is pure luck. Instead of having fate decide who gets the advantage, let’s give both teams a chance.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3055 on: January 21, 2019, 04:56:50 PM »
But you're letting the defense off the hook.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3056 on: January 21, 2019, 05:01:49 PM »
I feel the OT rules come up every time one team never gets the ball.  Let’s face it, the coin flip is pure luck. Instead of having fate decide who gets the advantage, let’s give both teams a chance.
Didn't somebody in this very thread bitch that NE wins coin-tosses more often than other teams?   :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline T-ski

« Reply #3057 on: January 21, 2019, 05:01:56 PM »
But you're letting the defense off the hook.

But only one teams defense......am I right?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3058 on: January 21, 2019, 05:05:28 PM »

Careful. I got push back last night when I mentioned how lucky the Patriots sometimes are, which is obvious to almost everyone who doesn't live in the Northeast. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3059 on: January 21, 2019, 05:06:23 PM »
Last year, the ave team scored 23.3 PPG.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/NFL/

There's been very litttle movement as far as average points per game, even with the rule changes. Defences have gotten better over the years. The rule changes are made to off set that so points scored can keep up, no?

Whatever OT strategy the league adopts, I really don't care, but whining because "So and so didn't touch the ball" lets the defense off the hook and devalues the impact of "team".

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3060 on: January 21, 2019, 05:11:59 PM »
Careful. I got push back last night when I mentioned how lucky the Patriots sometimes are, which is obvious to almost everyone who doesn't live in the Northeast. :lol

The coin flip winner got to put their best unit on the field first. That is true.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3061 on: January 21, 2019, 05:13:46 PM »
I see 16 OT games this year (including the playoffs). Only four were won with first possession touchdowns. Most are FGs. This just isn't a situation that comes up all that often.

Something else I noticed, those four were all decided by an elite player that the other team simply couldn't stop. Brees and Rogers both led long, methodic drives. Brady led a short methodic drive. Ezekiel Elliot ran it down the Eagle's throat for 8 minutes. TAC's right. Defense does have to be a factor in this.

edit: Between the 2012 rule change and the Patriots OT super bowl win there were 87 tie games, and the team to win the coin toss won 45 of them. There were 5 ties, and some of those wins would have been after the first possession. Like I said, pretty much a non-problem.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 05:22:00 PM by El Barto »
E.F. Benson

Offline T-ski

« Reply #3062 on: January 21, 2019, 05:36:55 PM »
If the current rules are okay, how come no team EVER has put their defense on the field first in OT after winning the toss?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3063 on: January 21, 2019, 05:42:31 PM »
I prefer college overtime rules.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3064 on: January 21, 2019, 05:46:01 PM »
If the current rules are okay, how come no team EVER has put their defense on the field first in OT after winning the toss?

The only thing the coin flip give you is the chance to land a knockout blow.

Didn't the Pats actually defer in OT in a regular season game a couple of years ago? I think they lost. :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3065 on: January 21, 2019, 06:14:15 PM »
Belichick has. Kev can tell you all about it.   :biggrin:
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3066 on: January 21, 2019, 06:19:15 PM »
Didn't the Pats actually defer in OT in a regular season game a couple of years ago? I think they lost. :lol
Twice. The one they lost might or might not have been intentional. Nobody's really sure WTF it was all about, but the two theories are that Bill threw the game to get a better playoff matchup (unlikely) or that he simply fucked up (slightly more likely). My theory was that Slater screwed up and said kick by mistake and Bill took the heat off of him by taking the blame.
E.F. Benson

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #3067 on: January 21, 2019, 06:28:09 PM »

Good point... but that decision didn't lead to the Patriots winning that game, a boneheaded move by Tony Carter on a punt in OT did  :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3068 on: January 21, 2019, 06:37:53 PM »

Good point... but that decision didn't lead to the Patriots winning that game, a boneheaded move by Tony Carter on a punt in OT did  :lol
Fair enough, but keeping you guys playing against the wind was a key part of that entire game; including OT. He rightly decided that the weather was more important than the first possession.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3069 on: January 21, 2019, 07:08:57 PM »
And El Barto hit the nail on the head.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3070 on: January 21, 2019, 07:31:19 PM »
I see 16 OT games this year (including the playoffs). Only four were won with first possession touchdowns. Most are FGs. This just isn't a situation that comes up all that often.

Something else I noticed, those four were all decided by an elite player that the other team simply couldn't stop. Brees and Rogers both led long, methodic drives. Brady led a short methodic drive. Ezekiel Elliot ran it down the Eagle's throat for 8 minutes. TAC's right. Defense does have to be a factor in this.

edit: Between the 2012 rule change and the Patriots OT super bowl win there were 87 tie games, and the team to win the coin toss won 45 of them. There were 5 ties, and some of those wins would have been after the first possession. Like I said, pretty much a non-problem.

Good research and numbers. :tup :tup

Like I said earlier, I am generally in favor of TAC's "play defense if you don't want to lose on the first possession of OT" stance.  However, I would not be opposed to a tweaking that guarantees each team a possession. 

And the argument could be made that "Hey, if you are mad you didn't get a possession in OT, you had 60 minutes to win the game and failed, so too freaking bad." 

Trust me, even though I am tired of the Patriots, seeing the Chiefs lose at home in the playoffs again did bring a smile to my face.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #3071 on: January 21, 2019, 07:53:35 PM »

Fair enough, but keeping you guys playing against the wind was a key part of that entire game; including OT. He rightly decided that the weather was more important than the first possession.

Oh I totally agree with you on that being the right call by Belichick, it just reminded me of that idiotic move by Carter at the end of the game. Peyton was struggling in those windy conditions all day. Brady looked like the wind didn't affect him at all that night after an ugly start with several fluky turnovers. One thing I really admire about Brady is that he's so damn consistent regardless of the weather. Peyton seemed to be affected by that kind of thing more throughout his career... maybe it was because he was so used to playing in a dome for so long. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3073 on: January 21, 2019, 07:58:39 PM »
Best Tweet of the night was:

@RyanBrownWJOX

"If @tonyromo ever tells you tomorrow is your last day on Earth, you best get your affairs in order."

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3074 on: January 21, 2019, 08:01:36 PM »
He's doing the Super Bowl, right? I'm looking forward to that.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3075 on: January 21, 2019, 09:58:50 PM »

@RyanBrownWJOX

"If @tonyromo ever tells you tomorrow is your last day on Earth, you best get your affairs in order."

Dude really does know his shit. Not only does he know what's coming next, he remembers everything that happened. I'm just as impressed with his ability to point out patterns as they develop. Gruden was the same way.

I just wish he'd learn that not every second of the game requires analysis. Sometimes the sound of the game is more entertaining than his nonstop exposition.
E.F. Benson

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #3076 on: January 21, 2019, 10:36:24 PM »

@RyanBrownWJOX

Dude really does know his shit. Not only does he know what's coming next, he remembers everything that happened. I'm just as impressed with his ability to point out patterns as they develop. Gruden was the same way.

I just wish he'd learn that not every second of the game requires analysis. Sometimes the sound of the game is more entertaining than his nonstop exposition.

He's not used to being in a stadium this late in the season. He might simply be over-excited...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3077 on: January 21, 2019, 11:48:38 PM »

... if "your" defense can keep a team out of the end zone, ...

Speaking of that, the Saints were outscored 17-7 in quarters 2 and 3.  This "no call" wouldn't have mattered if the Saints offense stayed consistent throughout the game.  Is that the refs fault too???
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3078 on: January 22, 2019, 12:51:48 AM »
I love how people act like shitty officiating is excusable if you play a less than great game.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3079 on: January 22, 2019, 01:04:30 AM »

@RyanBrownWJOX

He's not used to being in a stadium this late in the season. He might simply be over-excited...

That was rude but hilarious. :lol
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask