Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 488753 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #2345 on: August 10, 2016, 07:49:46 AM »
I'm in the same boat, I've been watching gameplay videos and I don't think it's going to really appeal to me or keep my interest. Not saying it's a bad game, just not my type of game.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2346 on: August 10, 2016, 11:42:58 AM »
I've never gotten that far in Dark Descent but it must get way scarier because I never found it that bad. Never gripping existential fear but just "Shit I might die".

Play Silent Hill 2 then talk to me about scary.

How would you compare Silent Hill 2 and the playable teaser for Silent Hills? That's the only thing that I've played from the series, and it was fucking terrifying.

Anyway, I finished Outlast: Whistleblower yesterday, and it was fucking disturbing. I think I like it better than the main game, actually - the plot was more streamlined, the areas were more varied and The Groom is probably the most fucked-up, creepy character in both the game and the DLC. Such great design.

I started on INSIDE today, and I have to say I'm really intrigued. It feels a lot like LIMBO, and I really like that. My first impression is that it's a little easier than LIMBO, but they nailed the atmosphere once again.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #2347 on: August 10, 2016, 11:50:00 AM »
Silent Hill 2 and PT are certainly dissimilar in gameplay, but PT has done the best job at recapturing the tone of 2, which Konami has tried to do repeatedly.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2348 on: August 12, 2016, 07:19:20 AM »
I don't know if anyone remembers the voxel based game Outcast but someones doing a remake coming out in 2017:

https://www.facebook.com/142382752443646/photos/1405436632804912/

We are so proud to show you the first images of our hard work on Outcast - Second Contact !
The franchise will celebrate its return in March 2017 on PC, PlayStation®4 and Xbox One.

The original game for reference:

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2349 on: August 12, 2016, 07:30:34 AM »
I surely remember that - I thought that game was awesome when it came out. This is GREAT news!  :metal :metal :metal
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2350 on: August 12, 2016, 02:43:26 PM »
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-12-goldeneye-returns-as-a-cool-mod-on-valves-source-engine

and to download: https://www.geshl2.com/downloads/

GoldenEye 007 superfans have released the latest version of an impressive recreation of Rare's seminal shooter.

GoldenEye: Source is a free PC multiplayer arena first-person shooter designed to recreate the classic N64 game. You can grab it now from ModDB.com.

The total conversion modification on Valve's Source engine has refined gameplay, high definition graphics and plenty of face slapping. There's no single-player here, just old-school multiplayer shooting.

It includes 25 maps (yes, the Dam's in there), 10 game modes and all 28 weapons from the 1997 original. Check out the launch video below. It looks cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E4XtdEnWx4

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2351 on: August 12, 2016, 08:47:41 PM »
My brother sent me this yesterday and I can't wait to play it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2352 on: August 12, 2016, 08:59:48 PM »
First impressions of No Man's Sky:

Honestly alot more fun than I thought. Now to get things out of their way first, if you thought the game to be anything other than a survival, exploration and trade game in space you have been misled. In terms of gameplay it's pretty much Subnautica in space but with a few more gameplay mechanics and a slightly bigger map.

As I said it's fun and easy to get into. You find and collect minerals, resources, artifacts, floras on planets which you then can sell, trade, use as fuel, energy for tools and weapons, new blueprints or repair broken things.

I spent the first 3 hours just exploring the planet I spawned on before I went to space, it's really addictive. People complained about the game being grindy, if running around mining for minerals and collecting as much stuff as possible in order to use a blueprint or re-fuel your ship for example considered a grind then yes but to me that's a part of the survival aspect of the game.

The game runs pretty good on my pc and unlike the consoles that caps at 30fps you have the ability to increase the fps cap to 60 or 90fps depending on your hardware. You can also change the FOV which I heard they caped to 40 something on consoles however i'm not sure it actually works though, couldn't say it made a huge diffrence. I must test that some more.

The best part of No Man's Sky is that the ride from planet surface to space is so smooth, once in space you just aim towards the nearest planet or station and either travel in 3 diffrent speeds or use warp drive depending on the distance.

The amount of options for exploration is limitless, it's pretty mindblowing.

If you like exploration, collecting and trading in space then it's a really fun indie game.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 03:20:04 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2353 on: August 12, 2016, 09:03:06 PM »
I'm glad it runs well on your PC. I just finished reading some reddit threads on how it's not doing well on the PC in terms of performance.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2354 on: August 12, 2016, 10:08:28 PM »
Yeah, Steam reviews are giving it a "Mixed" and only about 50% of the reviews are positive. That's absolutely horrendous for a game this hyped up, and it seems the issue was mainly terrible performance on PC. So if you have good performance on PC with No Man's Sky, you're lucky.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2355 on: August 13, 2016, 03:10:31 AM »
Of course the performance varies depending on what rig you have and if people have problems then that's unfortunate but honestly, I do think people just like to complain about everything especially on games that's hyped. For me the performance might not be 100% all the time but it dosen't ruin the experience if you ask me. I'm much more impressed by the achivement behind this game, it's basically all just one epic algorithm and math in general. Now procedural generated maps have been done before in games but never to this extent. 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 is the number of planets to explore in the universe but let's just say that number is pretty much irrelevant depending on the variation of the terrains and the art style on the planets though because once you starting to see the same terrain on other planets the other 18,446,744,073,709,551,433 planets are pretty much the same. Luckily the 5 planets i've so far found have all had diffrent terrain, fauna and flora.  :lol So i'm off to a good start and I have to give a big prop to their imagination, those i've found have been interesting to explore with some having a Avatar:esque art style although in a more cartonish way, I mean one planet had cute flowers that jumped around.
I think once the hype has settled I think people will find a game that's entertaining and fun to play.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 03:49:53 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2356 on: August 13, 2016, 08:33:48 AM »
I finally played Inside, made by the same people who made Limbo, and sort of a spiritual sequel. I'd say it's even better than Limbo, and would definitely make its way onto my top 25 games list.

The atmosphere is so good that often I was too nervous to progress because I had no idea what awaited me. Being mauled by dogs and drowned by girls was scary. :(
Again, it's not a long time, but you can still see where all of that development time went, because it's an incredibly polished game from start to finish.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2357 on: August 13, 2016, 09:14:45 AM »
I finally played Inside, made by the same people who made Limbo, and sort of a spiritual sequel. I'd say it's even better than Limbo, and would definitely make its way onto my top 25 games list.

The atmosphere is so good that often I was too nervous to progress because I had no idea what awaited me. Being mauled by dogs and drowned by girls was scary. :(
Again, it's not a long time, but you can still see where all of that development time went, because it's an incredibly polished game from start to finish.
Yeah, Inside is an awesome game, amazing atmosphere.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2358 on: August 16, 2016, 03:16:44 AM »

I'm not quite finished yet, but I just have to say that the Shockwave sequence is probably the best thing that I've seen in gaming in a long time. Such a cool design and the way that the music and the shockwaves work together is just brilliant.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2359 on: August 16, 2016, 03:33:28 AM »

I'm not quite finished yet, but I just have to say that the Shockwave sequence is probably the best thing that I've seen in gaming in a long time. Such a cool design and the way that the music and the shockwaves work together is just brilliant.

That bit was cool, although I don't know what my favourite part would be. I think probably the whole end sequence would be my favourite. Not sure if you're up to that bit yet, so I won't spoil it, but it's incredible the amount of work went into it for a relatively short section of the game.

Offline adace

« Reply #2360 on: August 17, 2016, 03:46:41 AM »
New trailer for Resident Evil 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRDS8tUtTDM

I'm very happy with the PT-esque direction they're going. Definitely one of my most anticipated games of next year. But I'm just hoping they don't go full on Outlast/Alien Isolation and not let you use any weapons.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 04:35:56 AM by adace »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2361 on: August 17, 2016, 04:26:52 AM »
So I'm having an issue with Inside and the graphics. Blob, Lynxo, maybe you came across this? After trying to get to the dangling box above you as the blob, you then get dropped into a water hole. However, whenever I touch the walls of cavern that I am now in, the whole screen turns light blue and some, as far as I can tell random music starts playing - I've had the soundtrack of the shockwave sequence for instance. Nothing I do returns visuals, but the game isn't crashed - I can access the menu and load an earlier check-point no problem.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2362 on: August 17, 2016, 04:32:46 AM »
That's most bizarre. I didn't have any issues with the game, especially nothing game breaking like that. Not sure what could cause that either.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2363 on: August 17, 2016, 06:24:29 AM »
Never mind. I restarted the game and it didn't happen. Weird.

So, that was Inside. Fucking awesome, I'll say. Easy 10/10 for me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2364 on: August 17, 2016, 06:25:29 AM »
Yeah, it's pretty hard to fault it.

But maybe I'll deduct 1/10 for mauling me with dogs and almost giving me a heart attack multiple times. :P

Offline adace

« Reply #2365 on: August 17, 2016, 04:09:08 PM »
New trailer for Battlefield 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV5mO4THW_8

Looks absolutely incredible. Never was a huge Battlefield fan but I sure am now. :metal

Offline adace

« Reply #2366 on: August 18, 2016, 02:22:04 AM »
Just watched the ending to No Man's Sky on Youtube. I won't spoil it here but it makes me really glad I didn't buy the game.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2367 on: August 18, 2016, 02:38:45 AM »
I caved in and bought No Man's Sky - I'm a sucker for new experiences - and while I've only played an hour, I can already tell that any sort of "ending" is not really the point of the game. That's like saying the ending to Minecraft is bad, I guess.

That being said, I can already tell that the gameplay is a bit repetitive. But right now, I don't care - there's a big WOW factor to just about everything in this game. It's crazy awesome to travel to a new planet - to seing it from outer space and slowly getting closer and then landing - all of it without any (visible) loading screens. It feels huge, massive and impressive in a way I don't think I've experiences before. And I found it really fun to explore and figure out how things worked.

That's most bizarre. I didn't have any issues with the game, especially nothing game breaking like that. Not sure what could cause that either.
Yeah, I didn't have any problems either but I see you've already resolved this issue. :tup

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2368 on: August 18, 2016, 02:45:26 AM »
I saw that Neverwinter is free from the Playstation Store, so I downloaded it and checked it out last night. A pretty good MMORPG for being free of charge.

I need something new to waste my time with during the cold and rainy fall evenings we have now.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2369 on: August 18, 2016, 08:00:54 AM »
I caved in and bought No Man's Sky - I'm a sucker for new experiences - and while I've only played an hour, I can already tell that any sort of "ending" is not really the point of the game. That's like saying the ending to Minecraft is bad, I guess.

That being said, I can already tell that the gameplay is a bit repetitive. But right now, I don't care - there's a big WOW factor to just about everything in this game. It's crazy awesome to travel to a new planet - to seing it from outer space and slowly getting closer and then landing - all of it without any (visible) loading screens. It feels huge, massive and impressive in a way I don't think I've experiences before. And I found it really fun to explore and figure out how things worked.
 issue. :tup
Glad to hear someone that actually tried the game give an opinion, I enjoy it too. Man this game has been destroyed in social media and it seems that while misinformation and unfathomable hype has played a role it still dosen't deserve the hate it gets. It's a great game for what it is, a singleplayer survival and trade game in space. Yes it can be repetive but there's still alot of variation in the planets, flora and fauna. It's pretty cool entering the atmosphere of a newly found planet.
Btw and this might be a small spoiler but have you encountered the ground force sentinels? I shat my pants when I stole a vortex and a damn four legged drone started blasting at me.  :lol

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #2370 on: August 18, 2016, 08:29:24 AM »
I've been playing Yakuza 5 since it was free on Playstation Plus. This game is a blast.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2371 on: August 18, 2016, 08:31:03 AM »

issue. :tup
Glad to hear someone that actually tried the game give an opinion, I enjoy it too. Man this game has been destroyed in social media and it seems that while misinformation and unfathomable hype has played a role it still dosen't deserve the hate it gets. It's a great game for what it is, a singleplayer survival and trade game in space. Yes it can be repetive but there's still alot of variation in the planets, flora and fauna. It's pretty cool entering the atmosphere of a newly found planet.
Btw and this might be a small spoiler but have you encountered the ground force sentinels? I shat my pants when I stole a vortex and a damn four legged drone started blasting at me.  :lol
Yeah, I've read some of the comments and I can't say I disagree with them, I just don't really care at this point. For now, this seems like a really unique and cool experience. Would love for it to be integrated with Playstation VR when that comes out.  :tup

And no, I haven't done much except getting my ship working and travelling to a second planet.  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2372 on: August 18, 2016, 09:21:27 AM »

Yeah, I didn't have any problems either but I see you've already resolved this issue. :tup

I'm usually really impulsive and I buy games only researching them for less than 5 minutes but after watching countless videos on NMS I decided to wait for a sale. I think it's something that I would lose interest in fairly quickly.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2373 on: August 18, 2016, 11:26:40 AM »
Amazon must be sitting on a bunch of unsold territory because they're selling No Man's Sky for $47 new. I'm tempted...

Online Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2374 on: August 18, 2016, 04:30:19 PM »
While much discussion could be had on what type of game NMS really is vs. what was originally planned, hoped, developed, and wished for by its fans, I had fun playing a few hours with my brother's copy. I should warn potential buyers though, crashes do happen (freezing the entire console requiring a restart; even more stability/bug issues on PC from what I've read) which will lose all of your progress between leaving and returning to your ship (aka, 45 minutes of resource harvesting lost). If you're still on the fence, I would try and wait for Hello Games to release a stability update.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2375 on: August 19, 2016, 12:21:00 AM »
The Witcher Wild Hunt is $25 at Best Buy for the next two days.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2376 on: August 19, 2016, 12:31:10 AM »
About NMS, I should probably add that I never watched any of the trailers and followed none of the discussion and thus had no idea about what was promised and not. Thus, I was not disappointed it didn't meet my expectations, because I didn't have any. I bought it simply because of a few screenshots and a generic description. :)

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2377 on: August 19, 2016, 09:12:42 AM »
The Witcher Wild Hunt is $25 at Best Buy for the next two days.

Standard edition I'm assuming.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2378 on: August 19, 2016, 02:18:53 PM »
Yep.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline adace

« Reply #2379 on: August 19, 2016, 07:42:24 PM »
Review of Deus Ex Mankind Divided: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4I22f-hNCE

This game looks so good. Can't wait!