Author Topic: Fair to Midland v. Jon Dicken leaves (merged)  (Read 37158 times)

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
Re: Fair to Midland v. Jon Dicken leaves (merged)
« Reply #315 on: April 11, 2012, 04:37:41 PM »
I'm seeing them tomorrow. I can't even begin to express how excited I am.  :metal

I wanted to go so bad tomorrow (especially considering the condition the band has been in of late, as who knows how much longer they will stay together at this point) but money is crazy tight for me at the moment and I'm already set to see Protest The Hero, Periphery, Jeff Loomis, The Safety Fire and Today I Caught The Plague in Raleigh next week.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #316 on: April 11, 2012, 04:51:56 PM »
What I find douchey is to somehow be proud of the fact that your fans are not sure exactly what you're saying

Where do you get the idea that FTM is like that?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #317 on: April 11, 2012, 06:11:32 PM »
I'm seeing them tomorrow. I can't even begin to express how excited I am.  :metal

I wanted to go so bad tomorrow (especially considering the condition the band has been in of late, as who knows how much longer they will stay together at this point) but money is crazy tight for me at the moment and I'm already set to see Protest The Hero, Periphery, Jeff Loomis, The Safety Fire and Today I Caught The Plague in Raleigh next week.
Too bad, man. Local 506 is a GREAT venue, but FTM at the Cat's Cradle would have more awesome.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #318 on: April 11, 2012, 09:36:56 PM »

Heck yeah man, you'll have to let me know how amazing it is. I cannot wait to see them Saturday.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: April 12, 2012, 12:40:17 AM »
What I find douchey is to somehow be proud of the fact that your fans are not sure exactly what you're saying

Where do you get the idea that FTM is like that?

From fans who seem as dedicated to FTM as most of us here with DT, especially on their facebook page. I could be wrong but booklets that says nothing always gets on my nerves, booklets are honestly the last thing that makes buying CDs appealing and lyrics are a part of it.
Personally whether they do it on purpose or not I think if I was a professional musician I would have cared about not leaving my fans guessing what I said in the song. I guess I'm comparing to JP and JR's behavior towards fans.
Still I like the music and seeing them on this tour, this really doesn't fuck with the great music on Arrows and Anchors.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: April 13, 2012, 06:44:06 PM »
So, last night was so incredible. Dead Letter Circus was awesome, Lionize was good.
And Fair To Midland.....

Completely. Totally. Awesome.

Heretic, you're in for a real treat on Saturday.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #321 on: April 15, 2012, 12:48:46 PM »
I picked up Tales from a Mayfly last week.  Been listening to it a lot... Thanks DTF for another great recommendation  :metal
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #322 on: April 15, 2012, 05:36:02 PM »
aaaaaaaaaand Fair to Midland were awesome. I met all of them and got a free poster signed; they're all really down-to-earth guys and they're a blast. We had to leave earlier than expected unfortunately, but they were still fantastic. Whiskey & Ritalin is so heavy live.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #323 on: April 15, 2012, 05:48:34 PM »
All their songs were really heavy live. My only slight complaint was that the keys weren't high enough in the mix.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #324 on: April 17, 2012, 07:41:23 PM »
Saw the NYC show last night.  Ho.  Lee.  Shit.  The tone was set early when Darroh launched into the audience on the downbeat of Whiskey & Ritalin.  I don't think I've ever seen a performance quite like that.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #325 on: April 17, 2012, 10:43:05 PM »
Yeah... of the three times I've seen FtM, last night's NYC show was the best.  I think the highlight for me was Amarillo Sleeps On My Pillow.  Rikki Tikki Tavi was pretty wild too.

I like this band a lot but it's such a turn off to discover they're one of these douche bands that take pride in the fact that nobody knows the exact lyrics to the song and they don't include them in the booklet. Their fans are so annoying in this regards as they see it as a sign of genius.

This makes no sense to me.  To the contrary, I think pretty much every fan in the crowd knew every word to every song.  Half the time the crowd was as loud as Darroh.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: April 19, 2012, 12:31:55 AM »
I'll take your word for it since I haven't seen them live yet but I see I was having a bad day of dumb anger at various things and I might have over estimated a bunch of comments I saw on youtube and on their fan forums. My bad.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: April 24, 2012, 09:20:32 AM »
Is Fables from a Mayfly as good as Arrows & Anchors?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: April 24, 2012, 09:22:56 AM »
Its better.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: April 24, 2012, 09:23:49 AM »
Nice! Gonna pick it up today.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: April 24, 2012, 10:39:16 AM »
Its better.

I agree that it is better, seems a bit more polished.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #331 on: April 24, 2012, 10:40:30 AM »
Is Fables from a Mayfly as good as Arrows & Anchors?

They're both so awesome I can't tell.

I can't stop listening to this band. Srsly.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #332 on: April 24, 2012, 12:12:55 PM »
They're both great but I actually like Arrows & Anchors a bit better.  I've had Fables for a while now and always thought it was a cool album, but as soon as I heard Arrows & Anchors I was like OMGTHISISINSTANTLYONEOFMYFAVORITEALBUMSANDBANDSEVERRRR!!!!!!!!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: April 24, 2012, 12:19:31 PM »
How far back does that consistent quality you speak of go? I see they have two more albums before these two.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #334 on: April 24, 2012, 12:27:33 PM »
I can't really comment on that, I've never heard any of the stuff prior to Fables.  From what I understand they're mainly independent releases and eps or something, with Fables being their first "official" release.  I also think that some of the tracks on the earlier stuff were re-recorded for Fables.  I'm not positive about any of this though, so I will shut up........................now.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: April 24, 2012, 12:48:27 PM »
Yeah a lot of the tracks on inter.fundia.stifle were rerecorded for Fables.  The only song from that one that gets live play is Orphan Anthem '86, which is pretty good.  Haven't heard the first two though.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: April 24, 2012, 01:49:02 PM »
How far back does that consistent quality you speak of go? I see they have two more albums before these two.

Well The Carbon Copy Silver Lining is still as heavy but it's way more. . . . don't really know how to put this  . . . abstract, especially with the vocals. Lots of layering, lots of megaphone type effect, not as polished.

Definitely worth checking out IMO but you may not like it:

Here are few songs representing the cd IMO:

"Gaining One" - https://grooveshark.com/s/Gaining+One/2hbNXp?src=5

"Informative Timeline" - https://grooveshark.com/s/Informative+Timeline/2hbN3h?src=5 (my favorite from Carbon Copy)

---------------

inter.funda.stifle is cool to listen to if you liked Fables, early Fables stuff on there, "Quince", and "Timbuktu" are both great songs.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: April 30, 2012, 05:51:35 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations Reaper!
Couple of listens in, I love Fables from a Mayfly but Arrows & anchors is clearly superior in both writing and production, might be too early to say though.
Quick: Whiskey & Ritalin vs. Dance Of the Manatee?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: April 30, 2012, 06:18:16 PM »
Dance of the Manatee.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: April 30, 2012, 07:01:13 PM »
The singer of this band is probably one of the best frontmen of American bands today. In the generation after the Hetfield one.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: April 30, 2012, 07:17:12 PM »
Whiskey & Ritalin. I'm a bit tired of DotM, but still a good song.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #341 on: April 30, 2012, 07:29:39 PM »
DotM is great, but W&R makes me want to run through a brick wall.
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: April 30, 2012, 08:09:16 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations Reaper!
Couple of listens in, I love Fables from a Mayfly but Arrows & anchors is clearly superior in both writing and production, might be too early to say though.
Quick: Whiskey & Ritalin vs. Dance Of the Manatee?

DotM

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: April 30, 2012, 11:36:43 PM »
I love Whiskey & Ritalin, I'd take it over DotM for now.
So do we know why the bassist and the drummer left? The bass lines are a major part of the appeal in their songs and also distinguished overall sound. The drummer did a kick ass job on A&A.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #344 on: May 01, 2012, 03:03:10 AM »
Dance of the Manatee.

You are correct sir!

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #345 on: May 01, 2012, 08:21:08 PM »
I love Whiskey & Ritalin, I'd take it over DotM for now.
So do we know why the bassist and the drummer left? The bass lines are a major part of the appeal in their songs and also distinguished overall sound. The drummer did a kick ass job on A&A.

I get the impression that:

-The bassist went into rehab, or had to leave for other personal reasons
-The drummer just plain quit; I think he had some serious philsophical objections to how they went about the DVD, and thought it was half-assed.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: May 02, 2012, 06:12:26 AM »
I came in to say that Dance Of The Manatee on IFS is stellar, I was listening to it all day yesterday.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: May 02, 2012, 11:04:25 AM »
- The drummer just plain quit; I think he had some serious philsophical objections to how they went about the DVD, and thought it was half-assed.

I saw his statements and I don't understand what he found to be half assed, apparently neither did the old fans who've been with the bands from before Fables, here's the drummer's statement and their comment.
It's still too bad cause he was a great drummer and also Jon Dicken was a very creative bassist writing wise, judging only from A&A  and Fables.
But as I swam across youtube watching most of their related videos and all the interviews; my pessimism about the change of sound or loss of touch decreased cause I found it clear that the singer has most of the creative control over the musical direction, not just vocals. That mofo is pretty sick btw heh

I came in to say that Dance Of The Manatee on IFS is stellar, I was listening to it all day yesterday.

You know I managed to squeeze in a couple of spins for Fable in my A&A streak that's been going on for the last week and boy were you guys right about this album (Fables) as well, I cannot say I like it as much as A&A but it's clearly a grower. Caught my immediate applause were DotM, which is indeed an epic and Vice/Verse which is a fuckin emotional tornado. Maybe they stand out more cause the most attention paid during listening goes involuntarily to the first few tracks of any new album, I'll update as I listen more.
Early judgement says A&A is superior, I can't get enough of this damn album and I'm going to probably over play it but I can't help it heh, it's so good to have new music I'm excited about listening to and that happens like twice or thrice a year maximum.

A couple of observations, I've already mentioned my disappointment about the lack of lyrics in the booklet, especially when it sounds like the lyrics are worth reading, but the disappointment with the CD release doesn't end there as the CD is pressed the old style where you car CD player or stereo only shows you the track numbers, no song names unlike the newer CDs since around 09 which gives you artists, album and track titles. Of course it's not a problem on the computer as you're connected to the internet or use mp3s, which I do, but I do most of my joyful music listening while driving and it doesn't help that the song list on the back of the CD cover itself is not numbered so it's a bitch trying to figure out what track is playing if it's beyond the first 3 or 4 tracks while driving.
And obviously the song titles really doesn't help figuring out what song is playing since they're almost never in the lyrics or even hinting of the song content :lol Which is weird in a funny and cool way nonetheless.
With time you start making memorizing which is which though.
These tiny negatives don't bring down my rating of A&A, unless there's a 9.95/10 rating  ;D

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #348 on: May 30, 2012, 08:00:21 PM »
I've been on a FtM kick lately.  Arrows and Anchors is very good  :metal
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: May 31, 2012, 10:37:09 AM »
A&A is one addictive mofo of an album. I can't see them topping it.
Your rabbit's foot is hare and hounds and I drag pianos eyes glued to the ground!