Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 914966 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - COVER ART/TRACK LIST on p. 5
« Reply #4305 on: August 01, 2013, 03:37:46 PM »
I imagine the label will push for something a little more edgy sounding, like The Enemy Inside, or Surrender to Reason to be the single. But then again, I have no idea what these songs sound like, nor do I want to until I actually hear them.

How do we know these will be edgy sounding? :huh:

I think he's talking about the actual song title there

Yes, I was. I mean, imagine you're a fan of Trivium, or one of Roadrunner's many other bands, and you're on Youtube, and you're not really familiar with DT, and RoadRunner recommends you a new DT single that just came out... called "Along For The Ride". Regardless of what it's like, the title wouldn't really appeal to someone who likes harder music. But imagine you see "Dream Theater - The Enemy Inside". Sounds pretty badass. I'd check it out.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #4306 on: August 01, 2013, 03:48:06 PM »
wtf?  Why is this thread suddenly about which DT songs we heard first?

Because DT is a prog band, so this is a prog thread, constantly progging into a new subject, with the occasional recurring theme of the new album.  :biggrin:
Fixed it.

:clap:
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #4307 on: August 01, 2013, 03:49:03 PM »
Actually I'm listening to Dance of Eternity while doing my Panic Attack :lol

Touche!

Actually I'm listening to Dance of Eternity while doing my Panic Attack :lol

I'm listening to Dance of Eternity while doing my Anna Lee.  ;D
:|
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline TheSoylentMan

• Nothing ever happens on Mars
« Reply #4308 on: August 01, 2013, 04:17:31 PM »
Still no pre-order? Roadrunner's site has a "Buy Now" button, but it just takes you to the store front. And if you search the store for Dream Theater it just brings up the BC&SL boxed set. Am I doing it wrong? I can't even find ADTOE for sale on their site. Weird. You'd think with as much momentum DT has right now, Roadrunner would have their site working better.

« Reply #4309 on: August 01, 2013, 04:36:20 PM »
Still no pre-order? Roadrunner's site has a "Buy Now" button, but it just takes you to the store front. And if you search the store for Dream Theater it just brings up the BC&SL boxed set. Am I doing it wrong? I can't even find ADTOE for sale on their site. Weird. You'd think with as much momentum DT has right now, Roadrunner would have their site working better.

That's a good point. I understand if this time around they want to hold out on the single and not give out snippets, in order to keep the album more of a surprise reveal for everyone, but in terms of pre-orders and distribution, they really should get on the ball.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4310 on: August 01, 2013, 04:49:44 PM »

Pre-order is not live yet (or at least, it shouldn't be).  Just hold on.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline liran95

« Reply #4311 on: August 01, 2013, 05:06:23 PM »

Hold on?.. Um.. Okay, I guess I'll put away that gun I prepared for no reason... Waiting is possible, don't have to use that gun..  :blush

Offline RoDT

« Reply #4312 on: August 01, 2013, 05:10:47 PM »

Hold on?.. Um.. Okay, I guess I'll put away that gun I prepared for no reason... Waiting is possible, don't have to use that gun..  :blush

SOON

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #4313 on: August 01, 2013, 05:13:43 PM »

Be careful! He has flying ivory and ebony keys and he knows how to use them!  :metal Better give him the pre-order and the single soon!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 05:18:54 PM by RMGadelha »

Offline liran95

« Reply #4314 on: August 01, 2013, 05:18:17 PM »

Be careful! He has flying ivory and ebony keys and he knows how to use them!  :metal Better give him the pre-order and the single soon!

:metal

Seriously, considering robbing RR headquarters.

Ok, maybe not  :angel:

Offline dparrott

« Reply #4315 on: August 01, 2013, 05:22:16 PM »
My first DT song...and video...was PMU.  That's when MTV still played videos.  ZING!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Shine

« Reply #4316 on: August 01, 2013, 05:33:28 PM »
First album that was released after I was a fan was ADTOE  :blush

First song that got me hooked on DT was TDEN  :blush :blush
lake of fire

« Reply #4317 on: August 01, 2013, 05:41:24 PM »
Dammit, RoadRunner! Just shut up and take our money!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4318 on: August 01, 2013, 05:57:35 PM »
This thread:
- away for six hours
- nothing happened, but somehow there's 4 new pages to skim through
- learned one thing; a NEW WORD: 'to hector'.

what the hell?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4319 on: August 01, 2013, 06:10:11 PM »
STOP HECTORING THIS THREAD!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #4320 on: August 01, 2013, 06:26:35 PM »
You guys are really going to spring a gasket over this. Relax. It'll come when it comes. Simply put, until the next bit of official information is released, you are speculating on speculations at this point. Chill out.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4321 on: August 01, 2013, 06:28:12 PM »
You guys are really going to spring a gasket over this. Relax. It'll come when it comes. Simply put, until the next bit of official information is released, you are speculating on speculations at this point. Chill out.

ARE YOU HECTORING ME?

:cornholio:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4322 on: August 01, 2013, 06:29:42 PM »
:bnb:

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4323 on: August 01, 2013, 06:30:18 PM »
Simply put, until the next bit of official information is released, you are speculating on speculations at this point.

Personally, I expect that as soon as the next bit of official information is released, everyone will immediately shift their focus to the next next bit of information to be released. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #4324 on: August 01, 2013, 07:20:31 PM »
Off topic, but since this is the most active thread, when do you expect the North American tour dates to be released?  I would buy those tickets in a heart beat :heart
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

« Reply #4325 on: August 01, 2013, 07:22:13 PM »
Off topic, but since this is the most active thread, when do you expect the North American tour dates to be released?  I would buy those tickets in a heart beat :heart

I hope not for a while. I'm going to need some buffer room between spending (probably) around $100 on the deluxe edition of the new album, and $300 on a Meet & Greet package.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #4326 on: August 01, 2013, 07:34:11 PM »
I imagine the label will push for something a little more edgy sounding, like The Enemy Inside, or Surrender to Reason to be the single. But then again, I have no idea what these songs sound like, nor do I want to until I actually hear them.

How do we know these will be edgy sounding? :huh:

I think he's talking about the actual song title there

Yes, I was. I mean, imagine you're a fan of Trivium, or one of Roadrunner's many other bands, and you're on Youtube, and you're not really familiar with DT, and RoadRunner recommends you a new DT single that just came out... called "Along For The Ride". Regardless of what it's like, the title wouldn't really appeal to someone who likes harder music. But imagine you see "Dream Theater - The Enemy Inside". Sounds pretty badass. I'd check it out.

I totally agree that Enemy Inside sounds :bnb: but Surrender to Reason seems more :zydar: to me
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #4327 on: August 01, 2013, 07:58:09 PM »
Oh, you guys....  :lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #4328 on: August 01, 2013, 08:28:04 PM »
I also think the single will be The Enemy Inside but who knows ::)
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #4330 on: August 02, 2013, 12:02:10 AM »
Along For The Ride could very well be the single....they did name the tour after it. Or it could be The Looking Glass.

« Reply #4331 on: August 02, 2013, 12:24:20 AM »
Along For The Ride could very well be the single....they did name the tour after it. Or it could be The Looking Glass.

They named the tour after it because it suits a tour. On tour, one travels, so it's like a ride, it's also a journey, and it's like they're inviting you the audience "Along For The Ride", to be a part of this journey.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #4332 on: August 02, 2013, 12:25:35 AM »
Every morning I come on to this thread and the first thing that always pops into my head is "I love you, DTF". Please never change.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Theme Dreater

• The Destroyer of Worlds
« Reply #4333 on: August 02, 2013, 12:37:42 AM »
I've been lurking here since the other DT12 thread. Finally made an account and will now be contributing to this clusterf*** of unrelated posts :D

Seriously though, I am excited at the word that the new album will be heavier than ADTOE. I dont want it to be as heavy as ToT, but I think I could use some new nice and heavy DT riffs to headbang to. The idea of a "20-minute epic" really makes me excited, and honestly I don't care whether it turns out to be 19 minutes or 24 minutes. The biggest thing I hope for though is this: I don't want to be overwhelmed with ballads. I want mind-bending progressiveness and riffs so heavy my head falls off. Damn, I can't wait.
I was told if you dream of the next world, you'll find yourself swimming in a lake of fire.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #4334 on: August 02, 2013, 12:49:42 AM »
Well, according to an old RR comment (I can't remember if it was this-thread-old or last-thread-old) the box set preorder was moved to August, which would indicate they planned on launching it in July and then rearranged their schedule. One might suspect the launch was pushed maybe one or two weeks, which inevitably would result in the box set's availability sometime... soon!

And welcome Theme Dreater! To quote a sysadmin friend: "Clusterfuck is sooo five years ago... the next bigger thing should be called a cloudfuck!" ;)

Greetings...
Hector Nef

Offline adastra

« Reply #4335 on: August 02, 2013, 12:55:03 AM »
Every morning I come on to this thread and the first thing that always pops into my head is "I love you, DTF". Please never change.

Same Here!  Awesome community!
Best thing about my morning is to get to work, take a cup of coffee and read DTF  before starting to work  ;)
Worst thing is to see that this topic has gotten 5 more pages and to build your hopes for some updates.
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #4336 on: August 02, 2013, 01:08:25 AM »
Nobody's posted "good day for a single today!" yet? What is wrong DTF? :huh:

« Reply #4337 on: August 02, 2013, 01:09:33 AM »
I learned a few things about this thread. 5 pages will pass, that's pretty much a given. But I'm pretty good at spotting news, because you'll have people being all excited, and quoting stuff and posting pictures with "Soon" on them.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4338 on: August 02, 2013, 01:15:02 AM »

Same Here!  Awesome community!
Best thing about my morning is to get to work, take a cup of coffee and read DTF  before starting to work  ;)
Worst thing is to see that this topic has gotten 5 more pages and to build your hopes for some updates.

...to find out that there's only a discussion if a song is 19 or 22 min and about hectoring a thread. But funny enough! :biggrin:

Offline adastra

« Reply #4339 on: August 02, 2013, 01:25:51 AM »
WHOA! Great news!
Tracklist looks amazing! But I don't like the cover art too much.
Somehow I get this "Texas Ranger" -vibe from the promo pic  :D

My opinion about the album cover has completely changed!
Now that I think of it, it just might be the coolest DT cover yet.
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.