Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 915048 times)

Offline aXygnus

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • We seek to understand. We cry with hand in hand.
It's going to be a reprise of Day After Day

Is it Night After Night?

Offline RoDT

Wait, so the opener is instrumental, there's an instrumental among the main tracks and the epic is predominantly instrumental?

Offline Thematt202

What's that even supposed to mean?
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
What's that even supposed to mean?

:facepalm:

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
I don't know why people are complaining about it being "19 minutes". It's not like they saw the actual track lengths that Noxon has confirmed, with Illumination Theory at 22 minutes. What if the song just felt like 19 minutes for the person?

Also at the old "review" that was apparently rehashed with a bit of information (BCSL).. He called the first song an "epic" when we know it's only 2 minutes long. Yeah, that was fake.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't know why people are complaining about it being "19 minutes". It's not like they saw the actual track lengths that Noxon has confirmed, with Illumination Theory at 22 minutes. What if the song just felt like 19 minutes for the person?

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Noxon actually confirmed those lengths.  I thought he just said they 'looked right' to him, but that he didn't have his copy in front of him.  Maybe I missed another post, though.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Thematt202

I'll reword my question for Joshing U.

"What's that even supposed to mean in the context of what I posted originally?"

Better?
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline RuRoRul

Better?
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/xzibit-yo-dawg

Your post about the predominance of instrumentals on the album reads a little bit like something that would go with that meme.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

So the epic is the instrumental?? Not sure how I feel about that....

Offline JoeG

• Engineering student by day, DTF word-spewer by night
Wait, so the opener is instrumental, there's an instrumental among the main tracks and the epic is predominantly instrumental?

Not that surprised, given the lengths of the other tracks. With a bunch of 5-7 minute tracks, its hard to imagine many of them have drawn out instrumental sections the length of, for example, Learning to Live, or The Dark Eternal Night. I'd say that the amount of instrumental vs. vocals will be about the same as past albums, even if its distributed differently.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
So the epic is the instrumental?? Not sure how I feel about that....

It is not.  It is just predominantly instrumental (like the usual DT epic, I'd say).

Offline RoDT

Better?
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/xzibit-yo-dawg

Your post about the predominance of instrumentals on the album reads a little bit like something that would go with that meme.

Thanks RuRoRul! Just trying to laugh a bit about it...

Back on topic, I agree with Lucien, I really think that 19 minute statement was more about how it felt at the moment, or like they said, there's a big intro that wasn't count as part of the actual song. Regardless, 19 minutes of epic music should satisfy anyone's epicosity hunger... right?

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
Offical Listening Party Review from last night.

https://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2013/07/dream_theater_listening_party.php

From Linda Leseman..Village Voice. Interesting. Enjoy.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
LOL at first I was like "who is that woman standing between John, James, Jordan, and John?"

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
LOL at first I was like "who is that woman standing between John, James, Jordan, and John?"

"She's kinda cute..."

*Notices it's Mike*

"I regret nothing"  :hat

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
(The mixing and mastering are worth noting, as well, for their superiority and for not succumbing much to the modish "loudness war".)

Let's hope so!

EDIT: Wait, doesn't this album have the same mixer as Clockwork Angels?  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 02:22:03 PM by Implode »

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
When my eyes first scanned the page, I thought for a nano second..."Damn, Steve Perry was th...no wait...thats Mike."
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
For what it's worth, I can heartily recommend talking about Doctor Who on the DT forum specifically because it's not Gallifrey Base.

I swear, if I hear about DWO's pre-announcement one more time...

Hmm? To what pre-announcement are you referring?
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline Thematt202

Not that surprised, given the lengths of the other tracks. With a bunch of 5-7 minute tracks, its hard to imagine many of them have drawn out instrumental sections the length of, for example, Learning to Live, or The Dark Eternal Night. I'd say that the amount of instrumental vs. vocals will be about the same as past albums, even if its distributed differently.

Good point.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline mikeyd23

(The mixing and mastering are worth noting, as well, for their superiority and for not succumbing much to the modish "loudness war".)

Let's hope so!

EDIT: Wait, doesn't this album have the same mixer as Clockwork Angels?  :facepalm:

Haha! Well lets hope that this writer got it right and this record is a step forward sonically for both the band and Rich!

Offline Thematt202

I wish the RR announcement schedule timeline was public.  It would prevent sooooo much speculation and second guessing!  Even if it was just days on a calendar marked as "announcement/news" days with no specifics.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline RoDT

I wish the RR announcement schedule timeline was public.  It would prevent sooooo much speculation and second guessing!

That's half the fun though!

Edit: but the fun is killing me at the moment

Offline Thematt202

I suppose so!  Hope that damn single comes soon, that's all I'll need to tide me over until 24th September.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Dream Team

Offical Listening Party Review from last night.

https://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2013/07/dream_theater_listening_party.php

From Linda Leseman..Village Voice. Interesting. Enjoy.

Thanks, but it was posted several pages ago.  :P

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
Man, you guys are such buzzkills! We get in-studio videos/photos, tweets, album art, track titles, mini reviews and people still complain about "silence" and not enough information.

Now we get some tentative lengths and people bitch about those. It's one thing to analyze and critique them, it's another to get bent out of shape about it.

Be positive, people. We have a new DT album on our hands!

Offline RoDT

Man, you guys are such buzzkills! We get in-studio videos/photos, tweets, album art, track titles, mini reviews and people still complain about "silence" and not enough information.

Now we get some tentative lengths and people bitch about those. It's one thing to analyze and critique them, it's another to get bent out of shape about it.

Be positive, people. We'll have a new DT album on our hands! SOON

FIXED  :lol

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Erm. So,any news when I was gone?

nah prob not.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!

Be positive, people. We have a new DT album on our hands!
  :tup

I wasn't a fan until shortly before Portnoy left the band, so I don't know what pre album releases was like then, but y'all must've been seriously spoiled. I'm thrilled with all the in-studio videos, pictures, tweets and all the cool previews we get. Like seriously, very few bands do that. My favorite band is Iron Maiden and when it comes time for them to release an album, we get the artwork and tracklist in one go and that's it. Album announced in May and we wait until August to actually hear the album. Nothing in between. DT and RR do such a great job with trying to give the fans info and make them happy and people bitch anyway. It has to be disheartening to them. "Everything is never enough".
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well

JP and JLBs eyes made me :rollin
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Well, I'm not really supposed to give out any information about the schedule, but since you guys keep asking, I guess I can share the following:  The next bit of officially-released information is scheduled for August.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
That's.... somewhat non-specific. :P

Offline TL

Let's hope so!

Nope. Richard Chycki was a recording engineer on Clockwork Angels, but it was mixed by Nick Raskulinecz and mastered by Brian Gardner. Nick Raskulinecz also produced, and I remember reading in an interview somewhere that he pushed for the louder sound.

Whereas, Rich did the actual mixing on this album.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Well, I'm not really supposed to give out any information about the schedule, but since you guys keep asking, I guess I can share the following:  The next bit of officially-released information is scheduled for August.

:lol

It's August in 1.5 hours here, but I'm sure that's not what you meant ;p
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni

Good that August is SOON

Offline TL