Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 915066 times)

Offline Petruccinator12

Title lengths are gone? Speculation gone? Certainty gone? :P

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
:lol This thread reached 100 pages WHILST I was reading page 99.

Offline Thematt202

100 pages, now where's my goddamn single?
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Petruccinator12

I'm confused...hopefully an "authorized" person can help us out as soon as possible..

Offline Ħ

in on page 100.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
It would be hilarious if a single was released during the course of this page, but alas...

:\

lol why is my name the :beg: emoticon :lucien:

EDIT: in bold
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 12:40:33 PM by Lucien »
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
It would be hilarious if a single was released, but alas...

:\

lol why is my name the :beg: emoticon :lucien:

The kotowboy one should be the  :facepalm:

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
To get back on track a bit.... I'm a little concerned that with the lack of keyboard solos on this record, Jordan may be overtaken by the orchestra. Meaning Jordan won't be as big a presence on DT12. Sure he's a big part of orchestrating and composing the orchestra parts, but keys won't be a big part of this record. Is this a concern to anyone else?
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
Whoever said there was a lack of keyboard solos?

Offline Thematt202

No, Jordan's influence runs much deeper than just his solos.  I'm sure we'll get a healthy amount of Jordan fuelled awesomeness, solos or not.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Naikon

Of all those 100 pages, I wonder how much actually is about the new Dream Theater album.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
To get back on track a bit.... I'm a little concerned that with the lack of keyboard solos on this record, Jordan may be overtaken by the orchestra. Meaning Jordan won't be as big a presence on DT12. Sure he's a big part of orchestrating and composing the orchestra parts, but keys won't be a big part of this record. Is this a concern to anyone else?
Why would I be concerned? The quality of the music is the important thing.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Xanadu

I felt Jordan toned his wanking down a lot for ADTOE, and it was a nice change from the previous albums.
Jordans presence will be all over this record, im sure , and if he gets less solo-time than before, im not worried at all. I hope he continues the path he took on the previous record, and focuses more on melody and layering of awesome sounds.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
Why would I be concerned? The quality of the music is the important thing.

Yeah. I'm not concerned that the album isn't going to be as good because JR isn't as prominent on it. I'm just wondering: If the orchestra is on more than FAS and IT, will it be a good blending?

For example, I prefer the studio version of 6DOIT because, though Jordan's using an orchestra patch, I can tell he's doing it. Whereas on the live version, most of his part was done by the orchestra, which was really cool, but it sounded just enough different to me to be a little off-putting.

8VM on the other hand was a great blending, and when they do the song live, it works great either with on Orchestra or Jordan using the patch.

I guess I'm just hoping it'll have a good keys/orchestra ratio. Any thoughts?
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
^Exactly the opposite is true for me.  With Octavarium, the orchestra was on the record, so when JR does the orchestra parts live it's obviously not going to sound as good.  But with SDOIT, you're used to the fake-sounding samples on the record, so it sounds much better on Score with the real instruments.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets

Jordan does a lot of cool things that aren't solos, so I'm not too worried. I usually like his solos, but a change would be nice.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
JRs solos are hit and miss for me.. I wouldn't be bothered if he didnt play any, I prefer his accompanying work anyway, but I don't mind his solos, they add variation.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
Wasn't the orchestra featured only in a section on IT and maybe on FAS?  Or did I mishear/misread something?

Offline ibosmiley

I'm cool with those song lengths if they are actually true.  A lot of shorter songs... a very cool thing.  A suite under 3 minutes... I dig that... not what you expect... rather... progressive.

I like them as well! The only I'd change: At least one more song above the 10-minute mark, preferably FAS =)

Yeah, one more longer song could have been/could be cool, but I'm cool with it as it is (assuming these are correct).  I don't think I'd be fore making FAS long though.  Starting out the album with a long instrumental doesn't quite seem like the best way to start it... at least in my opinion.

And as far as the JR presence... I felt his soloing was toned down on ADTOE but at the same time I felt his presence in terms of sound was far greater than in past albums.  I think his atmospheric contributions to the albums can offer far more than his solos in many instances.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 02:08:20 PM by ibosmiley »
"Are you listening to the words I say.  In the meadows my thoughts dance and play.  I know now I'm the only one.  Who can convince the rising sun"

Offline Petruccinator12

I'm cool with those song lengths if they are actually true.  A lot of shorter songs... a very cool thing.  A suite under 3 minutes... I dig that... not what you expect... rather... progressive.

I like them as well! The only I'd change: At least one more song above the 10-minute mark, preferably FAS =)

Yeah, one more longer song could have been/could be cool, but I'm cool with it as it is (assuming these are correct).  I don't think I'd be fore making FAS long though.  Starting out the album with a long instrumental doesn't quite seem like the best way to start it... at least in my opinion.

Yes...under the presumption the only the first part of FAS is an instrumental..

Offline Lucien

If, on the whiteboard, it says that the opening track (an entire track on the CD) is an instrumental, it means it's an instrumental, not just a part of it. FAS is all instrumental.

Offline Petruccinator12

If, on the whiteboard, it says that the opening track (an entire track on the CD) is an instrumental, it means it's an instrumental, not just a part of it. FAS is all instrumental.

But didn't the whiteboard say that there 10 songs? What about the rest then? Or how many songs are there?  :huh:

Offline ibosmiley

The whiteboard stated 8 songs plus an Opener plus an Easter Egg.  FAS = Opener = all instrumental by that line of reasoning then.  Easter egg will I assume be a lil extra nugget of musical goodness hidden at the end of IT.
"Are you listening to the words I say.  In the meadows my thoughts dance and play.  I know now I'm the only one.  Who can convince the rising sun"

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
Easter eggs usually are made from chocolate. Guitars sound like chocolate cake. Are we seeing a trend here?

oooH!

"Dream Theater" is a concept album about chocolate!

Offline Petruccinator12

The whiteboard stated 8 songs plus an Opener plus an Easter Egg.  FAS = Opener = all instrumental by that line of reasoning then.  Easter egg will I assume be a lil extra nugget of musical goodness hidden at the end of IT.

Ah, oke, thanks for the enlightenment!

Offline tiagodon

Weird... A common trend has been to release the lead single months in advance of the album release date. Something is going on...

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Dream Theater is not a trendy band.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
I felt Jordan toned his wanking down a lot for ADTOE, and it was a nice change from the previous albums.
Jordans presence will be all over this record, im sure , and if he gets less solo-time than before, im not worried at all. I hope he continues the path he took on the previous record, and focuses more on melody and layering of awesome sounds.
Totally agree with this. I've always thought that all of DT's keyboardists including Jordan are at their best when providing excellent atmosphere and melodies instead of soloing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Weird... A common trend has been to release the lead single months in advance of the album release date. Something is going on...
The trend in the past has been to release a single before doing a summer tour, so they can play a new song. They're not playing any summer shows this year, so no need to release it so early. They will be releasing one though, soon...

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
The reason they haven't released a single is that they haven't actually written any music.  It's all a gigantic prank. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Lucien

The reason they haven't released a single is that they haven't actually written any music.  It's all a gigantic prank. 

:clap:

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
^Exactly the opposite is true for me.  With Octavarium, the orchestra was on the record, so when JR does the orchestra parts live it's obviously not going to sound as good.  But with SDOIT, you're used to the fake-sounding samples on the record, so it sounds much better on Score with the real instruments.

Agreed.

Offline liran95

I would  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

And then  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( so hard.

And then I would :marriageanalogy: :marriageanalogy: :marriageanalogy:

Offline Dream Team

Of all those 100 pages, I wonder how much actually is about the new Dream Theater album.

If I had to guess, 1 page.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni

I would  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

And then  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( so hard.

And then I would :marriageanalogy: :marriageanalogy: :marriageanalogy:

I would be severely disappointed, but I would also enjoy watching the DTF riot which would inevitably ensue. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa