Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 915017 times)

Offline Mladen

Well, there you have your 'point'. I wouldn't be surprised if it came with a video this time, too.
This crossed my mind a little while ago. The reason why we're not hearing anything about the single might be because they are maybe planing on making a video to go along with it.

Offline Sycsa

I always thought a good way to continue the Metropolis saga would be to give the Hypnotherapist an intriguing backstory that would give him a reason to shoot Nicholas in the present life. Completing the circle yet again would just be the icing on the cake.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
Let no review get to you. The new music will be fresh and will surprise our crew.

I still remember a very bad review I read about SDOIT on the school newspaper in 2002 (yes, it really was there xD), from someone that was desperately trying to compare it to SFAM and was let down by the fact that there was no continuity. He wasn't looking at SDOIT with an opend mind and ended up disliking what was new and unexpected. I was influenced by that too and it took me tens of spins before I could enjoy that album. I remember regularly skipping masterpieces like Blind Faith or The Great Debate. Now SDOIT is one of my favorite albums =) This is why I never give credit to reviews, the only reason why I read them is to understand the style/mood of an album that I still haven't listened to. But for what concerns the actual quality of the music - that is something that it's way too personal - I just decide myself.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
In cases like this one, in my country we use to say

if my grandmother had wheels would be a wheelbarrow

Just sayin'
Or "if my grandfa had three balls he would be a pinball...!"
"If a cow had wheels it would be a milk truck."
We have a "if my grandma had balls she'd be my grandpa" :biggrin:

I always thought a good way to continue the Metropolis saga would be to give the Hypnotherapist an intriguing backstory that would give him a reason to shoot Nicholas in the present life. Completing the circle yet again would just be the icing on the cake.
Yeah but this cake shall not have that icing.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Yeah, this story is closed and needs not being opened again.

Let no review get to you. The new music will be fresh and will surprise our crew.

I still remember a very bad review I read about SDOIT on the school newspaper in 2002 (yes, it really was there xD), from someone that was desperately trying to compare it to SFAM and was let down by the fact that there was no continuity. He wasn't looking at SDOIT with an opend mind and ended up disliking what was new and unexpected. I was influenced by that too and it took me tens of spins before I could enjoy that album. I remember regularly skipping masterpieces like Blind Faith or The Great Debate. Now SDOIT is one of my favorite albums =) This is why I never give credit to reviews, the only reason why I read them is to understand the style/mood of an album that I still haven't listened to. But for what concerns the actual quality of the music - that is something that it's way too personal - I just decide myself.

Yes. I was thinking of the mixed reviews SDOIT initially got just yesterday. I don't think that DTDT will be such an abrupt change, though.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.

Good advice.
There's only 12 notes, do what you want with them.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
We kind of reached a consensus that ALONG FOR THE RIDE is TCOT Part 2, right?  :tup
And as I said, Behind the Veil is Beneath the Surface II :neverusethis:

But seriously, DT made Metropolis Pt. 2 to stop the fans from begging for a sequel to Metropolis, so I can't see them making a third part. If a 25-year-old JP saw this thread, I bet he would be like "oh my god, what did I get us into?!" :lol

Also, if the album had a concept, they probably would've given it a proper title instead of making it self-titled.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
When it comes to reviews, I'm basically the same as Blob (I think it was Blob anyway). I pay no attention to whether the reviewer liked or disliked it, as how "good" something is will vary between every person. If the review is only full of gushing praise or cynical cricitism then I'll probably ignore the whole thing (although in the case of gushing praise, if it's well written it can be interesting to read why someone else loves it so much).

But what I read the reviews for are little tidbits of information that I don't already know. They can be a good way to build a picture in your mind of what the album might be like, which can be exciting for the anticipation.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline matte.braso

we usually have some new info from the official DT channels once a week, so I hope to read some review just to pass the other days, I don't care if bad or good, because usually when it comes an album I really try to focus on the music and forget everything else in my mind. And for the last records since Octavarium the first impression has been generally positive, but after few listenings I've always changed my mind and they ended up being not so good for me, though I admit something's gone better in the first effort with Mangini. Idk but I think this will be the first album that won't disappoint me like those in the past, even after many listenings.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.

Yes. I was thinking of the mixed reviews SDOIT initially got just yesterday. I don't think that DTDT will be such an abrupt change, though.

Me either. Although I might love that.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
But seriously, DT made Metropolis Pt. 2 to stop the fans from begging for a sequel to Metropolis, so I can't see them making a third part. If a 25-year-old JP saw this thread, I bet he would be like "oh my god, what did I get us into?!" :lol
No kidding :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
When it comes to reviews, I'm basically the same as Blob (I think it was Blob anyway). I pay no attention to whether the reviewer liked or disliked it, as how "good" something is will vary between every person. If the review is only full of gushing praise or cynical cricitism then I'll probably ignore the whole thing (although in the case of gushing praise, if it's well written it can be interesting to read why someone else loves it so much).

But what I read the reviews for are little tidbits of information that I don't already know. They can be a good way to build a picture in your mind of what the album might be like, which can be exciting for the anticipation.
Pretty much my thoughts on the subject as well. Since a review is subjective I couldn't care less about whether or not the reviewer actually likes an album (or anything else for that matter). The chance that there is some interesting info in a review is the only reason why I would read one.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've learned form past experience that going into a new album expecting or hoping it to be like a previous album will only lead to disappointment and will not by conducive to taking the album on it's own terms.

Plus I get really annoyed when supposed fans of bands just stop listening to them when they put out an album they don't care for.

" Oh I used to be a fan of X but their last album wasn't very good so I don't listen to them anymore "

??? At least wait until they've put out three awful albums in a row before you consider it !

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
....Why three?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I dunno. Wouldn't you be close to giving up if a band released three awful albums back to back ?

They'd have to pretty awful though. Not just " lower tier" albums but out-and-out bad.

Offline Dream Team

it's not Metropolis, Pt. 3.

If you have official info, please share.

The album is called "Dream Theater", not "Metropolis Pt. 3: Dream Theater". Dude.

Oh god, not this again.

This. IT'S NOT METROPOLIS 3 AND IT'S NOT A CONCEPT ALBUM! Will you finally accept it?

Have you accepted it LBC?

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
I dunno. Wouldn't you be close to giving up if a band released three awful albums back to back ?

They'd have to pretty awful though. Not just " lower tier" albums but out-and-out bad.

You'd never be able to give up on DT. Unless you don't like Octavarium, SC, or BC/SL.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
You'd never be able to give up on DT. Unless you don't like Octavarium, SC, or BC/SL.
I have liked approximately 15-20% of everything they put out after 2003, but somehow I'm here :lol

Offline Lucien

I have liked approximately 15-20% of everything they put out after 2003, but somehow I'm here :lol

:o

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
John Petrucci
On my way to the Guitar World offices to spend an afternoon talking guitars and the new DT record.

:metal

Offline Petruccinator12

John Petrucci
On my way to the Guitar World offices to spend an afternoon talking guitars and the new DT record.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
John Petrucci

amidoinitrite?

Anyway, hopefully the intie will be published soon (not DT/OTE soon) :metal

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
John Petrucci

I should put this in my sig....

Will there be a video for this, do you think?

Offline Petruccinator12

No, I just think there will be an article about the interview within a few days...

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
John Petrucci
John Petrucci

amidoinitrite?
John Petrucci
John Petrucci

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
Guys, I'm kinda worried that we haven't heard from John Petrucci in a while. Where do you think he could be?

Offline Petruccinator12

Guys, I'm kinda worried that we haven't heard from John Petrucci in a while. Where do you think he could be?

Maybe in a city on the moon?

Offline showdonttell

• So energy! Powah!
I'm excited for this 20-minute epic.
https://www.last.fm/user/kokocijo

So, I'm chasing these doves down the street and she's screaming at the top of her lungs, and then when the magician comes back from Europe, two of them turned brown!  Well I followed the instructions!

Offline Lucien

John Petrucci
John Petrucci

amidoinitrite?
John Petrucci
John Petrucci

John Petrucci

Offline Petruccinator12

What's wrong?

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
unless he's giving a song by song synopsis, John never really gives all that much insight when talking about an upcoming album, besides the usual best work to date spiel and probably Mangini is nuts etc.
Still super hyped about noxons upcoming review though...

Offline Lucien

unless he's giving a song by song synopsis, John never really gives all that much insight when talking about an upcoming album, besides the usual best work to date spiel and probably Mangini is nuts etc.
Still super hyped about noxons review though...

All this.

I really hope he gives song synopsizes

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
what I expect :

1.) Either it will be one of those completely in depth interviews about what guitars and amps and FX he used on the album and a brief song by song synopsis

or

2.) He will give the most fleeting review of the album at the end in a box out - something like " we feel it's our best work to date and our first with our new drummer writing. We're all happy with it and what it stands for and we can't wait to play it live ! "

DT will be out Sep 24th on RoadRunner.

Offline Lucien

Unfortunately, I feel number 2 is more likely.  :\ However, we should keep our hopes up that we actually hear something new ABOUT the album.

Also, bosk, can we have a :beg: emoticon? I feel like it would be really useful.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Close Enough ?