Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 915017 times)

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member

Offline aprilethereal

DT isn't even my favorite band, but since this is the DT forum and they have a new album coming soon, naturally I'm gonna express my excitement here.

DT isn't my #1 either, but there is no other band that makes me as excited for a new album as DT. They're just really good in getting people ridiculously excited. I don't participate in any hype stuff like "DT12 will be their best album ever" (because that mostly leads to disappointment), but I'm still confident they craft something great.

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
Classic Prog Magazine given their first impressions on their Facebook page!  (I'm a lurker but just had to share this)

"First impressions: different to A Dramatic Turn of Events. Heavier and also more melodic. Some lovely obtuse time changes and very proggy in places. The epic Illumination Theory will thrill DT fans. It won't change opinions of the band's detractors within the prog community, and these are still early days, but it sounds like a strong addition to the band's body of work."

Offline emtee

Seems like a very level headed statement. With DT it usually takes multiple listens spread out over weeks/months to take it all in.

That is the first review. Hopefully we get more soon.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
I guess it had to be heavier. The mix made ADTOE sound very "smooth". Even BITS doesn't really sound heavy, even though the song itself is pretty far out on the heavy side. More melodic sounds good, but I found ADTOE to be one of their best albums melodically, so I'm not sure if I'll agree with that when the album comes out. What some people call melodic is what I call non melodic and vice versa.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
DT isn't even my favorite band, but since this is the DT forum and they have a new album coming soon, naturally I'm gonna express my excitement here.

DT isn't my #1 either, but there is no other band that makes me as excited for a new album as DT. They're just really good in getting people ridiculously excited. I don't participate in any hype stuff like "DT12 will be their best album ever" (because that mostly leads to disappointment), but I'm still confident they craft something great.

Agreed. The only two bands at this point that make me giddy for a new album are Dream Theater & Green Day.

Because you know that it will at least be *good* no matter what. Neither band  has put out a truly terrible album yet.

Offline tiagodon

I guess it had to be heavier. The mix made ADTOE sound very "smooth". Even BITS doesn't really sound heavy, even though the song itself is pretty far out on the heavy side. More melodic sounds good, but I found ADTOE to be one of their best albums melodically, so I'm not sure if I'll agree with that when the album comes out. What some people call melodic is what I call non melodic and vice versa.

Melodic, heavy, prog... these are terms that really vary in everyone's minds and tastes. I think I&W and Awake are less prog than the other albums. Some would say exactly the opposite...

Offline aXygnus

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • We seek to understand. We cry with hand in hand.
Aw, I was hoping for something on the ADTOE scale of mellow... It's not by chance it turned the holy trinity into a holy... something (I DON'T KNOW THE WORD, WELP) for me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Heavier and more melodic? Sounds great already.

But they didn't tell me how rich and chocolatey the guitars sound. :(
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Thematt202

Yep, sounds perfect.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Well, sort of what I was expecting!  :eek

Is anybody buying the magazine? I assume there will be something more in-depth inside, right?

Anyway, we got the first review of the album. The first single cannot be more than one or two weeks away.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline aprilethereal

Agreed. The only two bands at this point that make me giddy for a new album are Dream Theater & Green Day.

Because you know that it will at least be *good* no matter what. Neither band  has put out a truly terrible album yet.

It's not like I don't get exited for other new albums, in fact the new Amorphis album Circle was probably the album I looked forward to the most in quite a long time (and the guys didn't disappoint :metal), but DT just make me go :caffeine: like no other band. Still, there are lots of other albums coming out this year or next year that I'm really looking forward to.

Offline Sycsa

2013 has been and will be an excellent year for new releases: Riverside, Niacin, Deep Purple, Spock's Beard, Donati solo album...but nothing can touch the triple dosage of DT (album, dvd, book) I'm about to get this fall. Just thinking about it makes my head spin.  :omg:

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm a bit surprised promotional copies have been passed out already.  Nevertheless, melodic and heavy makes me very happy.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
Classic Prog Magazine given their first impressions on their Facebook page!  (I'm a lurker but just had to share this)

"First impressions: different to A Dramatic Turn of Events. Heavier and also more melodic. Some lovely obtuse time changes and very proggy in places. The epic Illumination Theory will thrill DT fans. It won't change opinions of the band's detractors within the prog community, and these are still early days, but it sounds like a strong addition to the band's body of work."

Sounds very promising. This album is going to rock (or prog :P)!

Offline Sycsa

"Some lovely obtuse time changes and very proggy in places." This rubs the right way, although I was definitely expecting it, mostly because of Mangini. Not sure about the heavy or melodic part though. ADTOE displayed just right amount of heaviness after the previous two albums, but I dislike almost every single chorus on it for being too melodic and "catchy" (in the wrong way).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
"Some lovely obtuse time changes and very proggy in places." This rubs the right way, although I was definitely expecting it, mostly because of Mangini. Not sure about the heavy or melodic part though. ADTOE displayed just right amount of heaviness after the previous two albums, but I dislike almost every single chorus on it for being too melodic and "catchy".

Only on a prog forum have I ever seen something criticized for being too melodic and catchy. :lolpalm: That's like having too much money, or your dinner being too tasty (or your chocolate cake being too rich and chocolatey).

Offline Sycsa

"Some lovely obtuse time changes and very proggy in places." This rubs the right way, although I was definitely expecting it, mostly because of Mangini. Not sure about the heavy or melodic part though. ADTOE displayed just right amount of heaviness after the previous two albums, but I dislike almost every single chorus on it for being too melodic and "catchy".

Only on a prog forum have I ever seen something criticized for being too melodic and catchy. :lolpalm: That's like having too much money, or your dinner being too tasty (or your chocolate cake being too rich and chocolatey).
No, that's nothing like it and you're being condescending. There's nothing inherently wrong with catchy and melodic, but when it goes into being cheesy, I draw the line. Some choruses on ADTOE are verging on that line, as well as a few other songs in the DT catalog.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

No, that's nothing like it and you're being condescending. There's nothing inherently wrong with catchy and melodic, but when it goes into being cheesy, I draw the line. Some choruses on ADTOE are verging on that line, as well as a few other songs in the DT catalog.

I didn't mean to be condescending, I just honestly couldn't comprehend your original comment being a criticism. Sorry if it came across that way.
But cheesy is a totally different attribute to melodic/catchy, and the two things are not really related imo. Had you said you disliked the choruses for being cheesy, then I would have understand what you meant (despite still very much disagreeing). :)

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
I hope by heavy they don't mean BMUBMD heavy, or I will be oh so dissapointed. Very proggy and melodic is what i'm looking for, so that's good to hear. I think being different to adtoe has me the most excited for this.
 :corn

Offline Sycsa

I didn't mean to be condescending, I just honestly couldn't comprehend your original comment being a criticism. Sorry if it came across that way.
But cheesy is a totally different attribute to melodic/catchy, and the two things are not really related imo. Had you said you disliked the choruses for being cheesy, then I would have understand what you meant (despite still very much disagreeing). :)
Melodic, heavy, prog... these are terms that really vary in everyone's minds and tastes.

I edited my first post a bit while you replied to it to avoid such a misunderstanding. For me, catchy and cheesy walk hand in hand, as cheesy, easy to hum melodies within simple scales are the easiest way to create catchy music. Like the post above said, all these terms are hugely subjective and while someone else, for instance, would say the TSCO on LSFNY is epic and majestic, I find it painfully cheesy, with the choir and all.  :)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I edited my first post a bit while you replied to it to avoid such a misunderstanding. For me, catchy and cheesy walk hand in hand, as cheesy, easy to hum melodies within simple scales are the easiest way to create catchy music. Like the post above said, all these terms are hugely subjective and while someone else, for instance, would say the TSCO on LSFNY is epic and majestic, I find it painfully cheesy, with the choir and all.  :)

Yes, hugely subjective indeed! I'll just gladly agree to disagree there. Given your tastes, my music collection would probably turn you completely lactose intolerant.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
Good stuff. Exactly what i was expecting :)

I thought ADTOE was one of the most melodic one so I'm looking forward to this one!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Melodic, heavy, prog... these are terms that really vary in everyone's minds and tastes.

Don't listen to LaBries new song.

Sometimes I feel like cheesy is cliche', the music doesn't suffer but it still kind of baffles me how music can be cheesy? Just cause they use simple progressions and melodies?  Sounds funny too me to say that.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
Classic Rock Presents Prog: It's not THAT heavy folks, calm down. It still sounds like Dream Theater. And remember we also said more melodic and more proggy too!

Offline Flacracker

I don't even know what "sounds like Dream Theater" means. If you took SC and BC&SL out of their discography then all of their albums are pretty different. So if unless they are heading for those two albums sounds then I don't know what to expect really.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
I don't even know what "sounds like Dream Theater" means. If you took SC and BC&SL out of their discography then all of their albums are pretty different. So if unless they are heading for those two albums sounds then I don't know what to expect really.

Why are you taking those albums out of the equation?  Those are two of DT's most distinct, original-sounding albums.

Offline Flacracker

Why are you taking those albums out of the equation?  Those are two of DT's most distinct, original-sounding albums.
Please...

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun

There is a distinctive sound to Dream Theater even though their albums are pretty different, so I see what they are saying.

JP and JLB are very recogniseable in tone and voice no matter what type of music they play IMO.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 10:02:07 AM by chwik »

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price

Please...

Please what?  SC is by far my least favorite DT album, but I'll be the first to admit that it doesn't sound like any other DT album.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Classic Rock Presents Prog: It's not THAT heavy folks, calm down. It still sounds like Dream Theater. And remember we also said more melodic and more proggy too!

Is that a real quote? It embarrasses me if the fanbase really whined enough to merit a response. Especially as there's absolutely nothing wrong with it being heavier.

Offline aXygnus

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • We seek to understand. We cry with hand in hand.
I'm gonna blame you when I can't even lift the CD off the shelf on release day, Blob.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well

Melodic, heavy, prog... these are terms that really vary in everyone's minds and tastes. I think I&W and Awake are less prog than the other albums. Some would say exactly the opposite...

These can also be considered generic "safe" terms. And any pre-release reviews are still aimed at selling, so all the key phrases will be there. I think this statement is a good one to get the fans more hyped for the album. :tup
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?

Is that a real quote? It embarrasses me if the fanbase really whined enough to merit a response. Especially as there's absolutely nothing wrong with it being heavier.

It was just one fan who complained that DT is increasing it's heaviness coefficient with each step. Another poster seconded that and then the magazine replied with the quoted message.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni

:tup :tup :tup
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E