Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 915048 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
I want a single. I want snippets. I don't want snippets. I want the whole album now.

I DONT KNOW WHAT I WANT
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I DONT KNOW WHAT I WANT

But no one can take that away.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
I want a single. I want snippets. I don't want snippets. I want the whole album now.

I DONT KNOW WHAT I WANT

I'm kinda the same way. I would love to have a tease of what the album sounds like (more than what James sings in pt 2 of the studio vid) But at the same time, I wouldn't mind letting the album be totally fresh come 9/24
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline matte.braso

just one song and I'll be happy for two months!!!

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
What I really want is for the album to come out sooner, or for LUNA PARK (remember that?) to come out soon so I have something to fill the DT void

inb4 There is other music out there
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
I legitimately hate the "there is other music out there" response. I don't get how knowing lots of other music should make one less excited / less anticipating for a new release by his or her favourite band.  :justjen
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
Seriously. There are few bands (that are still recording) that can get me excited like this for a new album: Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson, Dream Theater / JLB / other DT side projects, maybe Metallica.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
Seriously. There are few bands (that are still recording) that can get me excited like this for a new album: Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson, Dream Theater / JLB / other DT side projects, maybe Metallica.

Not in my world there isn't, but that's simply because when I know DT is in the studio I tend to listen to them exclusively. It's not to say that I don't like other bands, but litterally for almost a year straight, all I've listened to is DT. Listening to Dream Theater never gets old. :metal
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
I legitimately hate the "there is other music out there" response. I don't get how knowing lots of other music should make one less excited / less anticipating for a new release by his or her favourite band.  :justjen
Yea. DT isn't even my favorite band, but since this is the DT forum and they have a new album coming soon, naturally I'm gonna express my excitement here. What else am I gonna talk about in this thread? The new Haken? There's already a thread for that!
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline hacko

I was hoping for a single next week :\
WAS hoping? never lose hope for a single, brother :laugh:
I'd say from the current trend of things, we'll get Studio Update 3 in 2 weeks, and then a single (or maybe snippets) 2 weeks after that. I don't think it's realistic to hope for more content anytime soon.

Offline dparrott

:tup  Yes!

Porcupine Tree's recording a new album?  I missed that.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline JPX

What I really want is for the album to come out sooner, or for LUNA PARK (remember that?) to come out soon so I have something to fill the DT void

inb4 There is other music out there

I've actually learnt not to look forward to releases such as this. I've been dissapointed too many times (not just music), plus you don't strees out waiting.

It's like with Black Ops 2 last year. BO1 and MW3 had turned me off a franchise that I used to love. So I preordered BO2 and didn't read about it at all and I didn't even pick it up until a few days after it was released. The result is that I didn't count down the months/weeks/days leading up to it and I didn't have any preconceived hype. As such, I loved the game and plan on approaching future releases the same way.

I almost regret seeing the track listing for DT12 but I honestly haven't paid too much attention to info.

I don't want to make it seem like I don't care about the release because I care deeply. It's almost like I fake myself out for the sake of the end result.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets

....Porcupine Tree's on an indefinite hiatus.

Unless you were being sarcastic...

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
For me it actually does, loads of music =  loads of stuff to "do", and the more stuff I have to do, the less I can keep up with everything that's going on and keep myself excited for one thing for several months.

But:
Since this is the DT forum and they have a new album coming soon, naturally I'm gonna express my excitement here. What else am I gonna talk about in this thread? The new Haken? There's already a thread for that!
Absolutely. I'm not gonna say "oh man when I find the time/headspace to be excited about the new DT I AM SO EXCITED THEN". I'm just gonna say I'm excited.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline dparrott

"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Journeyman1
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline FourthHorseman

• Cultivating my own nonsense
I hope they don't release a single. I want to listen to the album as a whole for the first time. However, I don't have the discipline to refrain from listening to the single if they release it  :-[

Offline dongringo

I hope they don't release a single. I want to listen to the album as a whole for the first time. However, I don't have the discipline to refrain from listening to the single if they release it  :-[

This.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
So, my first post here. Let's go. I've been following new Dream Theater releases since before Black Clouds & Silver Linings (So I'm sort of a half-recent, half-old fan.) and I have to say that this album is the one that I'm getting most excited about. The title, the track names, Mangini composing... Funny thing is that I didn't like any of ADTOE's song titles when they were released to the public, but I ended up liking the album nonetheless, but now, I've liked every single track name. I know names are just names, but the fact that this album also has a 20 minute epic AND an instrumental is making me restless. I want  single/snippets and the third studio video ASAP!    :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Welcome, friend.

:welcome:

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
So, my first post here. Let's go. I've been following new Dream Theater releases since before Black Clouds & Silver Linings (So I'm sort of a half-recent, half-old fan.)

You know this band's been around since the 80's right? :lol

Just messing with you. Welcome to the forum!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni

See, to me, this is your problem, not anybody else's.  I don't mean to sound harsh, but if you don't have the discipline to refrain from listening to something you don't want to hear, maybe you should work on your discipline.  Because there are people who do want to hear a single before the album comes out.  Why should they have to miss out just because you lack self-restraint? 

I think it makes a lot more sense to release a single (and snippets, and whatever else the band is comfortable releasing ahead of time).  That way, everyone can make their own decision about whether or not they want to listen to it. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
So, my first post here. Let's go. I've been following new Dream Theater releases since before Black Clouds & Silver Linings (So I'm sort of a half-recent, half-old fan.)

You know this band's been around since the 80's right? :lol

Just messing with you. Welcome to the forum!

Thanks. Haha, yeah. I meant in the sense that I'm not a 100 percent Dream Theater "Virgin"  :rollin Saw them live twice in Rio and currently waiting for the 3rd time.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:57:21 PM by RMGadelha »

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Is there really a big chance of a single not being released? I imagine Roadrunner wants one, at the very least. And OTBOA did such a good job with building buzz for ADTOE that it would only make sense to use similar promotion techniques.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

See, to me, this is your problem, not anybody else's.  I don't mean to sound harsh, but if you don't have the discipline to refrain from listening to something you don't want to hear, maybe you should work on your discipline.  Because there are people who do want to hear a single before the album comes out.  Why should they have to miss out just because you lack self-restraint? 

I think it makes a lot more sense to release a single (and snippets, and whatever else the band is comfortable releasing ahead of time).  That way, everyone can make their own decision about whether or not they want to listen to it. 

It's like you stole my post pre-emptively. Or stole one of my old posts on the same topic. :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson

This. No one forces you to listen to the single and there are lots of people who actually want to hear it.
So, my first post here. Let's go. I've been following new Dream Theater releases since before Black Clouds & Silver Linings (So I'm sort of a half-recent, half-old fan.) and I have to say that this album is the one that I'm getting most excited about. The title, the track names, Mangini composing... Funny thing is that I didn't like any of ADTOE's song titles when they were released to the public, but I ended up liking the album nonetheless, but now, I've liked every single track name.
Welcome! Like you, I found the ADTOE titles kind of cheesy and cliché when they were announced, but the album became my third favorite, so you can never guess the quality of the songs by their titles.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.

Damn it! I got all excited for a moment there.
....Porcupine Tree's on an indefinite hiatus.

Unless you were being sarcastic...
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Hanz Gruber

Amen.

Even if I was the type of person that didn't want to hear anything until release there is no way that I would wish that a single wasn't released so that those that want to hear something don't get to.  Why hope that others are deprived just because you don't have enough will power?  I would just chose not to listen if I didn't want to hear anything. 

I am the type though that wants to hear a single and if they release one you bet your ass I am going to listen 1st thing,

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
Yea. DT isn't even my favorite band

Burn him!!!!!  :xbones
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
I can't restrain myself from listening to anything new from DT. I saved all the snippets in my cellphone, so I could listen to it everywhere...

Offline BlastParadigm

Self-restraint from listening to a new DT single... is that some kind of magical spell?

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
Self-restraint from listening to a new DT single... is that some kind of magical spell?

I never was a good wizard, so I can't tell you  ;D