Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 916297 times)

Offline dparrott

I hope they release full length JP and James rehearsal vids.  "The Looking Glass (Early Acoustic Version)"!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline countoftuscany42

I don't understand how Youtube hasn't been sued into oblivion. Thousands of full albums and songs are available illegally every
single day. Boggles the mind.
I'm sure there's something written in Youtube's EULA that states that Youtube is not responsible for whatever is posted there.
But don't quote me on that, this is simply something that seems logical, seeing as anyone can pretty much post whatever they want on Youtube.

The feds don't care who is responsible, only who the "vehicle" is.  Ask the many file sharing websites they have taken down.
True, but it might not be the same since YouTube wasn't designed for sharing music, whereas file sharing sites have that specific purpose

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
Anyone notice that Along for the Ride's lyrics were the only lyrics already checked off in the video, and that Along for the Ride is the only song that kept its working title? This makes me think that it's a vocal-centric song with music written around the lyrics, perhaps a demo written in the style of Wither and Beneath the Surface.
If that's true, it would be a first.  DT has always written music first, then lyrics.
I've done this before while writing lyrics - I've come up with a working title that I really ended up liking, so then I wrote the lyrics to accommodate that title. I'm sure that happens a lot. Maybe not with DT since they normally come up with titles like Schindler's Lisp or NADS. But it happens to me. I'm sure it's happened to them before.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline richzen

• That Aeon Zen guy
I don't understand how Youtube hasn't been sued into oblivion. Thousands of full albums and songs are available illegally every
single day. Boggles the mind.
I'm sure there's something written in Youtube's EULA that states that Youtube is not responsible for whatever is posted there.
But don't quote me on that, this is simply something that seems logical, seeing as anyone can pretty much post whatever they want on Youtube.

The feds don't care who is responsible, only who the "vehicle" is.  Ask the many file sharing websites they have taken down.
True, but it might not be the same since YouTube wasn't designed for sharing music, whereas file sharing sites have that specific purpose

Youtube actually pay royalties (no matter how small) to artists/labels for the music on there.

Offline illusionist

Hello guys!I just registered,but i've been here almost two years now.Anyways,don't know if this was previously mentioned,but ONLY 2 songs out of 9 have guitar solos???Didn't anyone else notice?I hope that's some kind of misunderstanding,because i always look forward to listening to his new solos.Yeah,sure they may not be suitable to the songs and the album may kick some serious ass,but come on guys.It's Petrucci.2 solos??  :justjen

Offline MarkFitDT

Hello guys!I just registered,but i've been here almost two years now.Anyways,don't know if this was previously mentioned,but ONLY 2 songs out of 9 have guitar solos???Didn't anyone else notice?I hope that's some kind of misunderstanding,because i always look forward to listening to his new solos.Yeah,sure they may not be suitable to the songs and the album may kick some serious ass,but come on guys.It's Petrucci.2 solos??  :justjen

I think the chart was done when he had only recorded 2 solos - there are blank spaces in the rest of the songs for solos rather than crosses.

Offline matte.braso

in the chart we can see only 2 lead guitar tracks recorded but in every song is expected the lead gtr part (no red X in that column in fact)

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
Call me a party pooper, but aside from a few lyrics, that clip didn't tell us anything we didn't know about the band already.  And no new music was featured, so, yeah.

You're a party pooper.  ;)

I don't know, we didn't get a lot (or any) new information, but it's still something to help whet the appetite. I'm guessing that we'll get some music here "soon".

Also, I seriously doubt that there will only be two songs with guitar solos on DT12.

I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
I think that the solos weren't done by the time of that video. At least I hope so.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Welcome, illusionist!
in the chart we can see only 2 lead guitar tracks recorded but in every song is expected the lead gtr part (no red X in that column in fact)
This. However, it looks like only three songs will include keyboard solos.

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.
There's only 12 notes, do what you want with them.

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
I want to see the seabord in action...

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
Welcome, illusionist!

A guitar solo would be reasonably expected to be recorded on a separate mixing track than the rhythm guitars. However it's conceivable that during a keyboard "solo" there would be no other keyboard parts, and therefore what we normally consider keyboard solos are actually covered by the "synths" track.

I expect the specific keyboard solo track is for times where jordan is playing on top of jordan, as it were

Offline aprilethereal

Sooooo... FAS will be an instrumental?

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Welcome, illusionist!

A guitar solo would be reasonably expected to be recorded on a separate mixing track than the rhythm guitars. However it's conceivable that during a keyboard "solo" there would be no other keyboard parts, and therefore what we normally consider keyboard solos are actually covered by the "synths" track.

I expect the specific keyboard solo track is for times where jordan is playing on top of jordan, as it were
Hmm... You may be right. And of course it's not impossible that some of the solos may be played on piano (which would be great)!

Offline Full Speed

Seems like it.

Offline dparrott

Also, I seriously doubt that there will only be two songs with guitar solos on DT12.

Unless they're pulling a "St. Anger" on us!   :-\

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Seems they didn't finish writing the Easter Egg according to the progress chart on the previous page.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline illusionist

Thanks for the replies guys.Yoy may be right about the solos,no x marked either.I really want this album to be guitar oriented,just like SFAM.They have managed to raise my ambitions for this nonetheless.And i think this is a good sign,as well as the 'hype' about it.I expect a proggy,dreamy,dark,cinematic and full of emotions album.Fingers crossed..

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.

Nah, since this album is self-titled, DT will cut their hair after this album, whilst taking a five year break, release a couple of good albums with a different sound, and then play no solos on DT15.  ;)
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline JoeG

• Engineering student by day, DTF word-spewer by night

Nah, since this album is self-titled, DT will cut their hair after this album, whilst taking a five year break, release a couple of good albums with a different sound, and then play no solos on DT15.  ;)

It begins... :eek

Offline eosforum

Not the whole thing! Just "sleep paralysis". It looks like Enigma Machine will be the instrumental afterall. I was rooting for Along for the Ride, but it seems to me that lyrically it's going to be a thank you-song to the fans and/or their families.

Offline eosforum

It begins... :eek

Oops! We really hurt his feelings with our comments on his hair in that promo-shot :rollin

EDIT: How do I merge posts??

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.

Deeper polyrhythm development.

Instructional DVD.

Anything is more important than a haircut.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well

Bite your tongue sir!  :lol
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Hanz Gruber

Thanks for the replies guys.Yoy may be right about the solos,no x marked either.I really want this album to be guitar oriented,just like SFAM.They have managed to raise my ambitions for this nonetheless.And i think this is a good sign,as well as the 'hype' about it.I expect a proggy,dreamy,dark,cinematic and full of emotions album.Fingers crossed..

Noting to worry about.  One of the songs is 20 minutes long.  They will 100% have guitar solos.

Offline PROGdrummer

Am i the only one who thought Mike looked awesome with that super long hair? Like seriously it was pretty great. The promo just sucked. Id love to see MM headbanging behind that drumkit swinging all that hair around. It would look so badass

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5

Noting to worry about.  One of the songs is 20 minutes long.  They will 100% have guitar solos.

SOURCE?
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Roadrunner said that a few days ago. Hold on, I'll see if I can find it.

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.
Am i the only one who thought Mike looked awesome with that super long hair?

No, but the music is the only thing that matters.

Offline JoeG

• Engineering student by day, DTF word-spewer by night
Roadrunner said that a few days ago. Hold on, I'll see if I can find it.

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/podcast-20130705

Roadrunner podcast

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Woot. Thanks, I was getting nowhere. :lol

Offline Hanz Gruber

SOURCE?

You are a DTF Detective and you are asking me?

(JUST JOKING)

As JoeG posted: 

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/podcast-20130705

They talk about it specifically around 2:40

They also say that they are rocking and that these are the best songs that they have ever written and fans are going to lose their minds.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think just after they said that fans are going to lose their minds - they secretly added " waiting for the album " .

Offline dparrott

[quote author=Hanz Gruber link=topic=37913.msg1618738#msg1618738
They also say that they are rocking and that these are the best songs that they have ever written and fans are going to lose their minds.
[/quote]

TEASE!

This goes back to the "nah, the songs suck" comments before.  Of course they're going to say this.

Release a song and prove it RR!