Author Topic: If you could eliminate five Dream Theater songs, and never hear them again...  (Read 28669 times)

Offline novenpeter

Finally Free
Raw Dog
Repentance
Regression
The One Who Help To Set the Sun

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
True, but I also think that Overture 1928 would be a stellar first song to open the album.
I could do without the shrink narration, maybe. But Regression itself is still a very nice little verse to kind of get things going. I mean, it could just be considered a vocal intro to Overture, kinda like "Vacant" is to "Stream of Consciousness." Plus the reprise of that verse in "The Spirit Carries On" has that much more meaning, then.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
You Not Me
As I Am
Prophets Of War
Repentance
Constant Motion

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
Raw Dog
Raw Dog
Raw Dog
Raw Dog
Constant Motion
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline novenpeter

Raw Dog
Raw Dog
Raw Dog
Raw Dog
Constant Motion
:rollin :rollin

Offline Lowdz

First three are easy enough, my life would not be affected not having these songs in the world.

Raw Dog- easy choice. Nothing of note here.
Repentence- boring ballad.
TDEN- Can't stand the Death-Metal elements. Or the lyrics.

getting a bit harder now... These aren't total write-offs but I sometimes skip them anyway

JLMB- not much to it.
Burning My Soul- as above

A narrow escape for The Answer Lies Within- another boring ballad. And I like ballads, and UAGM, New Millenium.

Offline Pettor

Raw Dog
Constant Motion
Anna Lee
Any song from WDADU

I can't understand some of the choices here, but well well.

Offline Lowdz

Finally Free
Raw Dog
Repentance
Regression
The One Who Help To Set the Sun

I see we share a couple of similar choices but Finally Free is one of my favourite DT songs.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I can't see myself not liking any of the songs. I like some better than others, but I wouldn't want to eliminate any of them. I'd also say it's quite insulting to the guys in DT to say that you never want to hear again something they put a lot of effort into writing.

It's not about not liking them. It's about making difficult choices. "We implanted a micro chip into your brain. You have to choose five DT songs that you will never listen to again, and if you do, the micro chip will kill you."

I get it, but judging from the headline only, it sounds like you were to name 5 songs you hate deeply and want to get rid of more than anything. Not trying to criticize anything, but it's pretty easy to misunderstand.
I took it the same way you did.  And that's OK.  Nothing to get upset over.  I don't get your reaction at all.

In no particular order:

Constant Motion
Raw Dog
The Answer Lies Within
A Nightmare To Remember
You Not Me
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Not that I hate the songs but my bottom 5 would be,

Raw Dog
Repentance
Vacant
Disappear
You Not Me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
edit fine ill be serious

anna lee
vacant
raw dog
you not me
the answer lies within
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 05:46:15 AM by ricky »
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
The Best of Times
Wither
The Answer Lies Within
The Silent Man
Anna Lee
Sacrificed Sons

Offline Tomislav95

You Not Me
The Dark Eternal Night
Constant Motion
The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun
Light Fuse And Get Away
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Fran521

You Not Me
Raw Dog
Prophets of War
Anna Lee
Just Let Me Breathe

Offline RandalGraves

Some interesting choices in this thread.  I'll go with:

1.  Raw Dog - My first on the list.  Recycled riffs from Black Clouds?  Feels like it.  The whole thing is a disjointed mess, and the production of it is the worst of DT's catalog.
2.  You Not Me - The chorus completely ruins it for me.  Besides, it's easy to get rid of when there's a superior demo just standing there by its side.
3.  The Ministry of Lost Souls - For whatever reason I hate the opening melody of this song, that's also featured heavily in the end.  It doesn't do anything for me, and this track just draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaags.
4.  Constant Motion - The verses (minus the trade-off between Portnoy and LaBrie) always sounded a bit off.  Like they were trying too hard to make it work.  The chorus is nothing special.  It has a pretty cool instrumental bit, but what DT song doesn't?  I can live without DT's worst single.
5.  The Answer Lies Within - For the most part, I think DT's slower tracks are the weaker ones.  This one's lyrics are too literal for my taste, and the melodies uninteresting.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Oh no, JR is gonna come to the forum for the first time and see all this "hate" toward You Not Me.  Now I'll never see it live  :sad: --but You Or Me would be a welcome replacement ;)

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
All of systematic chaos except The book ending tracks, which I believe should just be one track.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Writer

1. A Rite of Passage (I don't know why the fuck this song is in DT discography...)
2. Take Away my Pain (I'm the biggest FII fan, but i really cant listen to this song. Sugar...)
3. The Shattered Fortress (Uhm... This song is about how to copy and paste on the computer)
4. The Count of Tuscany (Really, really boring. I only listen to intro, but the rest is just like in A Rite of Passage - simple and not for this band. )
5. Endless Sarcifice (It has very cool instrumental part, but especially intro, chorus and the rest is just...too sweet and meh)

BTW, I think the Prophets of War is shitty song to listen album version but live is really cool, because you can scream with thousands 3 simple words: TIME FOR CHANGE!  :hat Same with Constant Motion and Forsaken - INTO THE NIGHT, BLISTERING! and FOOOORSAAAAKEEEEN (what a beautiful dissonance). And the RAW DOG is the heaviest, the most powerful and the most conrete instrumental shit. Just like that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dP-pm7Frws  ;D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 07:15:40 AM by Writer »

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
True, but I also think that Overture 1928 would be a stellar first song to open the album.
I could do without the shrink narration, maybe. But Regression itself is still a very nice little verse to kind of get things going. I mean, it could just be considered a vocal intro to Overture, kinda like "Vacant" is to "Stream of Consciousness." Plus the reprise of that verse in "The Spirit Carries On" has that much more meaning, then.

Ah, I had forgotten about that. Good point.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
You guys are so predictable...

"WAHHAAH NEW SINGLES!"

Here's my factual undebatable list.

1.) Lifting Shadows Off A Dream - So fucking tacky and bland. Awake would have been exponentially better if they replaced it with Eve.

2.) Speak To Me - Another snooze-fest. Glad this didn't make it on FII.

3.) The Answer Lies Within - Almost as bad as 1 and 2. But the cool orchestral bridge helps. Lyrics reek of try hard.

Eh. That's all I got.

Offline changing_seasons

Space Dye Vest
Caught in a Web
Raw Dog
Burning My Soul
Surrounded
Tell about my brother
Tell them about me
The Count of Tuscany

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Blind Faith
Burning My Soul
Honor Thy Father
You Not Me
Prophets of War

sup

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
5 songs that I would never want/need to listen to again:

Scarred
Burning my Soul
Status Seeker
Space-Dye Vest
Lie
On the Back of Angels

6 k

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
- New Millenium
- You Not Me
- Burning My Soul
- Just Let Me Breathe
- Take Away My Pain

Dream Theater's absolute worst songs. Everything else they've done is great (to varying degrees), but these songs just suck.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Why all the hate for BMS ?

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
Because it's garbage?

Offline Aniland

A lot of people seem to not like BMS, but I've always liked its intensity.

Offline Vajra

I'm actually getting angry reading this thread (lol, sad but true) There are some amazing songs listed in here. It's a shame that a lot of you guys don't appreciate them. (Not saying that in a bad way, just that they are great songs to listen to, and you're missing out a bit)

Yeah, but look at your list. Hollow Years, Another Day are some of DT's most beautiful softer songs. Eve I could probably live without.
Vacant - Space Dye Vest = Beautiful
Another Day - Hollow Years = Cheesey

Offline Tomislav95

...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.

So.... YOU'RE the one getting angry?
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
Space Dye Vest
Caught in a Web
Raw Dog
Burning My Soul
Surrounded

changing seasons, we need to talk.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Vajra

So.... YOU'RE the one getting angry?
Anger leads to the dark side... which I joined many years ago.

Offline Hal Incandenza

• AAAAAAAARGH!!!

Hollow Years has been a personal favorite for me ever since my brother's suicide, because of the first verse.  Plus, last thing we ever did together was a DT concert.  If it's cheesy, I'll live with it.

There's at least one person two people in this thread who has have two of my top five DT songs listed as ones never to listen to again.  Reminding myself not to take band suggestions from that person those people.   :lol

My list:
Honor Thy Father
Just Let Me Breathe
Peruvian Skies
Anna Lee
Status Seeker
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 07:39:47 PM by Hal Incandenza »

Offline Heaven Outcry Angel

• Your majesty
not going with WDADU or FII because thats too easy....

Take the time (hate that hip-hop part at the start)
Lifting Shadows off a Dream (too boring and cheesy)
Blind Faith (I like to pretend this song doesnt exist)
Goodnight kiss (same as above)
The dark Eternal Night (trying too hard to be opeth)
Of course Dream Theater isn't that good. Good music is obviously about 3 minute pop songs and catchy hooks.
Dream Theater aren't that good. Neither was Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach. Pfft, 20 minute epics. Who needs that?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Another Day may be cheesy in the 80s sense, but how is Hollow Years cheesy?

I like both songs by the way.