Author Topic: Why does DT not get all the respect they deserve?  (Read 20459 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Why does DT not get all the respect they deserve?
« Reply #140 on: January 27, 2016, 03:04:07 PM »
Interesting stuff... I honestly don't know much about Zappa and haven't really been able to sink my teeth into his music.

May I suggest The Zappa Discography Thread?

"Arf"  :biggrin:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: January 27, 2016, 03:05:16 PM »
DT doesn't do comedy albums (except for Systematic Chaos).  There is nothing wrong with that.

Once again, Hef reduces and argument to rubble with the greatest economy.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #142 on: January 27, 2016, 03:38:49 PM »
DT doesn't do comedy albums (except for Systematic Chaos).  There is nothing wrong with that.

:neverusethis:
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #143 on: January 27, 2016, 03:45:43 PM »

I realize it's not an album but I think the Canadian Rap should also count.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #144 on: January 27, 2016, 04:00:42 PM »
What was the analogue to the mall?  To movies?  To the smartphone?  To sporting events?  To surfing the internet?   To "Netflix and chill"?  To PlayStation?  To playing on GarageBand?   To cable television?   To regular telephones?  To cooking?  To any of 1,000 things that people do today to find emotional and intellectual relief and stimulation.   

I still think this undermines your argument more than anything. Sure, there are some things nowadays that can give you an endorphine rush that weren't there before, but how is that related to the decline of culture? There are more sources of pleasure so then it's okay for culture to decline because...?

Look, I can't continue this because we're clearly not arguing the same thing.  You keep referring to the "decline of culture" like it's a fait accompli, and I don't accept that premise.  I'm saying there are more sources of pleasure (and other things) so it's impossible to say that culture has declined.  How do you possibly say that "culture has declined" when you have artists like Steven Spielberg, Lars von Trier, Kurt Vonnegut, Bruce Springsteen... and when you have people like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates and the like tapping into modern zeitgeist, and yet STILL have place and wherewithal to support guys like Jack Welch and Warren Buffett.   

We are not at all talking about the same thing if you are fixated on the decline of culture. 

No, I'm not implying it, I'm outright saying it.  Yeah, I am.   What's the most common knock against the Malmsteens and Manginis of the world?   Phenomenal technique, no emotion. "Robotic".  I'm not suggesting that it is true all the time, but there's a reason that "The Beatles" wasn't John Van Halen, Paul Pastorius, George Malmsteen, and Ringo Peart.   

I don't want to offend but this argument really baffles me honestly. You're making an incredible generalization, extrapolating from one guitar player and one drummer in the same genre in the same century to the entire history of western music... So, let's assume you're indeed right, then the following is true:

"Beethoven, Brahms, Chopin and all other classical composers had no emotion. Additionally, all music written in between roughly 1600 and 1900 had no emotional content and was only about technique. Jazz also has no emotion and is purely for showing off."

Not at all what I am saying.   A square is a rectangle, but a rectangle need not be a square.  You can't just go back and forth like that.  I've already made the case that you can't compare the two, so that we have bifurcated - to some degree; it's not an absolute by any stretch of the imagination; see "David Gilmour" - emotion and technical prowess in terms of what our populi might key in on doesn't mean at all that the one exists without the other. 

I hope you see my point. The reason The Beatles was more popular was a huge marketing engine, the fact that they were hot, and the fact that their music is incredibly simple and engineered as a product to be as easily digestible and sellable as possible. Taking this into account, it would indeed be very strange if Malmsteen would have been more famous. In pop music, the popularity of the music is very rarely indicative of its actual content.

I thought I saw your point up and until you said the "reason The Beatles was more popular was a huge marketing engine".  Okay....   "Beatlemania", maybe, but "Yesterday" is not one of the most covered songs in the history of modern music because of "marketing". 

Are you really going to equate musical quality with female attention?? Because then Nickelback is better than all prog bands together. Also, Mozart and Liszt were Don Juans if there ever were some, so the whole thing would be a giant paradox.

Not exactly what I'm saying, but depending on the standard you use, yeah, I'm sure there's a standard or measure by which Nickleback IS better than all prog bands together.  "Popular" does not equal "bad" and that you (or me or anyone, I'm not singling you out here) like x band better than y band means absolutely nothing in the big picture. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: January 27, 2016, 04:07:24 PM »
As mentioned, the death of artists tends to have a huge impact on people's opinions. Also, Bowie established himself playing mostly undemanding sing-along songs. When your brand name is already as established as his was, you can release almost anything and people will think it's great, because people hear what they want to hear.

Oh. My. Goodness. 

If it's so easy, go write "Yesterday".  You have one week.  Go.  Prove it.   Bowie's songs may not have been "demanding" technically speaking (though I think you do him a disservice; his bands were usually pretty strong in terms of musicianship) but they CERTAINLY were demanding intellectually and emotionally.  There's a lot of things you can say about Bowie - good and bad - but you certainly CANNOT say he took the easy way out.  He was an artist in every sense of the word, and for the most part (Zappa might be the exception) people will be critically (in the academic sense of the word) talking about Bowie LONG after they are talking about Steven Wilson. 

Also, Hand. Cannot. Erase. is indeed not dumbed down (though also not sophisticated), but to say it "propelled him into popularity" is a gross overstatement IMO. He is more popular now in prog music, but lightyears away from being anything close to mainstream. Mainstream music continues to be dumbed-down to the extreme.

Like a broken clock is correct twice a day, we DO agree on something.  ;)

Offline Skeever

« Reply #146 on: January 27, 2016, 04:09:21 PM »
This is an interesting thread. Let's first generalize the question a bit:

"Why does DT not get all the respect they deserve?" ->
"Why do people prefer very simple music that only appeals to "base" emotions?" ->
"Why does popular culture in general tend to be very simple, i.e. have a very low intellectual content?"

A great deal has been written about this by academics in the past century. If we look at culture over the past few centuries, we see a steady decline in the complexity and content of art and public discourse in general. In the 18th and 19th century, what is now called classical music was the most popular music around. It is often erroneously thought that classical music was only for the elite, but in fact it was the most widely distributed music around. So we've gone from Beethoven and Liszt to Bieber and Kesha and we've gone from Dostoyevksy and Wilde to 50 Shades of Grey, from Jefferson to Trump. Many prominent anthropologists/sociologists (Eliot, Postman, Llosa, etc.) even refer to this phenomenon as the "death of culture". While I wouldn't go quite as far, it's obvious that the content of mainstream culture and discourse has declined. Now for the "why": the general consensus among academics is that the decline is primarily caused by a change in society from introspection and rationality to a preference for pure entertainment. Our whole society has become geared towards simple entertainment, and the primary goal in life is to feel good and look good, i.e. to maximize pleasure. The consummation of serious culture requires effort, which reduces instant pleasure. Furthermore, it's effort that does not make you any money, which in our hyper-consumerist culture has become the prime motivator of action for most. People prefer to numb themselves while serious culture is confrontational. It forces you to think about things like death, morality and community. Also, going outside of the mainstream reduces your status since it makes you an outsider, which again reduces pleasure. The pursuit of pleasure breeds conformity. This, in a cramped nutshell, is why I think DT does not get the respect they deserve.

Things were better when art was art, and for pure entertainment, a man could always check into a brothel or saloon.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: January 27, 2016, 04:15:15 PM »
Gabriel era Genesis, the Kinks, and The clash fill out the rest of my top 4 and I honestly don't think I could say a single bad thing about those bands.  They are complete genius bands with amazing images and incredible songwriting and sound.

Well, at least we have our proof that he is not to be taken seriously.  ;)

"Passionate"?  Yes.  "Politically astute"?  Yes.  "Genius" and with "incredible songwriting"???   The Clash are a niche band at best in the grand scheme of things.   That you love them is cool as shit (hell, I love Cheap Trick and Kiss) but let's not overstate what "you liking them" means in the big picture. 

I don't mean to undermine the Clash, but let's keep what we like and what is historically of relevance separate, because they are NOT the same thing.

As for humor in music? Well, I can tolerate Zappa, I like that Genesis doesn't take themselves too seriously (GREAT point, Podaar!) but for me, if I want humor I'll listen to a comedian.  With the rare exception ("Elephant Talk" is one, but other than "Counting Out Time", almost NO Genesis, even though they are a top 5 band for me) I do not turn to music for my humor. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 04:23:18 PM by Stadler »

Offline Skeever

« Reply #148 on: January 27, 2016, 04:33:34 PM »
The Clash and Kiss are considered legendary because they wrote good songs under 4 minutes long, and a lot of them.

At the end of the day, that's the only thing that truly has held DT back. Very few great short songs.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #149 on: January 27, 2016, 04:45:52 PM »
The Clash are a niche band
The Clash and Kiss are considered legendary because they wrote good songs under 4 minutes long, and a lot of them.

DTForums.org

To be true, London Calling is quite a legendary album. I don't see nothing wrong with thinking the songwriting in it is incredible.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline MHStrawn

« Reply #150 on: January 27, 2016, 05:09:38 PM »
Before WDADU unite was released, there was no such thing as prog metal unless you want to consider Fates Warning's Perfect Symmetry prog metal, which you arguably could.

Um...listen to Rainbow Rising by Rainbow....prog metal existed as early as the early-to-mid 70's.  The fact it wasn't called prog metal doesn't mean it didn't exist. 

Offline MHStrawn

« Reply #151 on: January 27, 2016, 05:14:52 PM »
This is an interesting thread. Let's first generalize the question a bit:

"Why does DT not get all the respect they deserve?" ->
"Why do people prefer very simple music that only appeals to "base" emotions?" ->
"Why does popular culture in general tend to be very simple, i.e. have a very low intellectual content?"

A great deal has been written about this by academics in the past century. If we look at culture over the past few centuries, we see a steady decline in the complexity and content of art and public discourse in general. In the 18th and 19th century, what is now called classical music was the most popular music around. It is often erroneously thought that classical music was only for the elite, but in fact it was the most widely distributed music around. So we've gone from Beethoven and Liszt to Bieber and Kesha and we've gone from Dostoyevksy and Wilde to 50 Shades of Grey, from Jefferson to Trump. Many prominent anthropologists/sociologists (Eliot, Postman, Llosa, etc.) even refer to this phenomenon as the "death of culture". While I wouldn't go quite as far, it's obvious that the content of mainstream culture and discourse has declined. Now for the "why": the general consensus among academics is that the decline is primarily caused by a change in society from introspection and rationality to a preference for pure entertainment. Our whole society has become geared towards simple entertainment, and the primary goal in life is to feel good and look good, i.e. to maximize pleasure. The consummation of serious culture requires effort, which reduces instant pleasure. Furthermore, it's effort that does not make you any money, which in our hyper-consumerist culture has become the prime motivator of action for most. People prefer to numb themselves while serious culture is confrontational. It forces you to think about things like death, morality and community. Also, going outside of the mainstream reduces your status since it makes you an outsider, which again reduces pleasure. The pursuit of pleasure breeds conformity. This, in a cramped nutshell, is why I think DT does not get the respect they deserve.

LOL.....I'm exceedingly amused by the fact a post purporting to address the generalizations about Dreaem Theater uses one generalization after another about society today. 

Now get off my lawn! 

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #152 on: January 27, 2016, 05:17:05 PM »
Yeah I love early cheap Trick and enjoy a kiss song once in a while but to lump those bands in with the clash is simply misguided imo.  London calling is widely considered one of the greatest albums of all time and is my personal favorite, one notch above sfam

Offline MHStrawn

« Reply #153 on: January 27, 2016, 05:25:14 PM »

I don't see how your argument proves that current culture isn't dumbed down. You're only arguing that it's okay for it to be dumbed down because we have a wider array of intellectual sources available than before. That doesn't change how culture has in fact declined. When you compare for instance 19th century classical music with current pop music I don't see how you could not conclude that music has been dumbed down.

Sigh.  Yes, there's lots of simple music today that, compared to classical music from the 18th century, seems "dumbed down".  But there's also a huge, vast volume of music equally complex and sophisticated being produced today.  In fact, the sheer volume of such music would dwarf what was produced centuries ago. 

And ya know why?  Because not many people could make a living making music back then.  Not many people had enough money to buy a piano or a violin; most were too busy trying to figure out how they were going to eat that day. 

You have a hypothesis in your head "society is getting dumber" and selecting facts that fit it while ignoring all facts that contradict it. 

The number / percent of people who can simply read today dwarfes the nubmers from the past. The same is true of the number / percent of people who can play music / write / create art. 

You think the entire population was sitting aroudn listening to Mozart and watching Shakespeare?  Shakespeare barely had any money.  Great artists lived penniless lives while their art went unappreciated.  Meanwhile, huge uneducated populations lived to get drunk on a Saturday night. 

You're visions of the past are fantasy; not remotely close to reality. 

Offline MHStrawn

« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2016, 05:31:31 PM »

Imagine Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Bowie or someone considered cool making a video that awful.

Um....please see Robert Plant's fantasy sequence from The Song Remains the Same and get back to us. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2016, 06:34:01 PM »
I don't like being put in the position of arguing AGAINST DT as I have spent the last 20 years of my life doing the exact opposite.

But here goes... 

I don't doubt that Labrie, Petrucci, Portnoy etc... have a sense of humor as evidenced by the blooper video you sent.   They are people and might even be very funny people.  I saw Petrucci speak at Guitar Center and he was a regular Jim Carrey up there.

However, I personally don't hardly ever see that wonderful sense of humor being displayed throughout their studio albums.   An example of DT displaying a sense of humor in their music would be "War inside my head" and "The test that stumped them all".  Labrie doing voices of the doctors is fun stuff.

However, that type of thing is few and far between with DT.   Listen to "Harold the Barol" by Genesis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpyj0o6Y8M4    Comparatively I think its safe to say that DT takes themselves more seriously.

Listen to Lola by the Kinks.   

DT takes their lyrical content very seriously and when a band does that they often come off as being cheesy.   A La Michael Bolton.

I don't know how else to explain it, its just my opinion.   I brought up the beginning of Surrounded as an example on an earlier post and I will use Along for the Ride as an example of modern day DT suffering from being overly serious and shmaltzy. 

I love Along for the Ride and Surrounded though... which was the point of my original post that nearly got me banned for "trolling" in that they still seem to make magic despite some, IMO, obvious flaws that I know put many people off.

I wouldn't be on this site posting if I didn't love the band with a major passion.

I feel like your argument is ludicrous. Tell me how many prog bands write comical lyrics. I'm trying to rationalize your idea that DT should write funny lyrics so people don't think they take the music too serious, but all I hear in my head is Charlie Brown's parents. I don't mean to be so caustic but really....

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #156 on: January 27, 2016, 10:40:13 PM »
Prog snob,

The question of this thread was "Why does DT not get the respect they deserve?" 

I offered up some reasons that I believe explain the answer and either I am having a tough time articulating my points or you just simply disagree with me which is fine.

Progressive Rock in general tends to be under appreciated historically so bringing up the fact that other great prog bands don't use humor in their music only furthers my point.   

Bottom line is that DT is one of my favorite bands and I am pumped beyond believe for The Astonishing.   I mentioned (long songs, keyboard solos, hair metal image, over the top vocals, and taking the music too seriously) as reasons as to why they may not get the respect they deserve.  Personally, I love long songs, over the top vocals, and keyboard solos so most of these are not my personal opinions, just what I find are often opinions regarding DT and progressive rock in general.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 10:51:30 PM by lovethedrake »

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2016, 12:47:02 AM »
LOL.....I'm exceedingly amused by the fact a post purporting to address the generalizations about Dreaem Theater uses one generalization after another about society today. 

Now get off my lawn!

When arguing about sociology one has to generalize to a certain extent. Could you point out what you think are overgeneralizations and provide some statistics?

(though since your whole post is an ad hominem I'm not sure you're into any serious discussion)

« Reply #158 on: January 28, 2016, 12:47:50 AM »
Sigh.  Yes, there's lots of simple music today that, compared to classical music from the 18th century, seems "dumbed down".  But there's also a huge, vast volume of music equally complex and sophisticated being produced today.  In fact, the sheer volume of such music would dwarf what was produced centuries ago. 

More complex music is produced, but barely any people listen to it compared to earlier centuries. That was my point. If you compare today's top 40 to the 18th century's top 40 you will see a massive difference in quality and complexity.

And ya know why?  Because not many people could make a living making music back then.  Not many people had enough money to buy a piano or a violin; most were too busy trying to figure out how they were going to eat that day. 

There is no truth to this. Western Europe during the 17th century was the richest part of the world by far. In the Netherlands this was even called the "Golden Age" and wealth was abundant. Only the very poorest wouldn't have been able to afford a cheap instrument. I don't know where you get this information from.

You have a hypothesis in your head "society is getting dumber" and selecting facts that fit it while ignoring all facts that contradict it. 

It's not simply my hypothesis. Around 100 years of academic research by anthropologists and sociologists has been done on this and many books and articles have been written. I'm simply quoting their research. I can provide you with a list of sources if you'd like.

The number / percent of people who can simply read today dwarfes the nubmers from the past. The same is true of the number / percent of people who can play music / write / create art.   

Purely in numbers: yes, because the earth's population is 10 times larger now.
Proportionally: no, and I can again provide you with sources.

You think the entire population was sitting aroudn listening to Mozart and watching Shakespeare? 

I never claimed this. I said that this proportion was much larger than it is now, for which there is accurate historical evidence since these statistics were kept in Western European countries.

Shakespeare barely had any money. 

Shakespeare was a wealthy and well-known man.
And had he been poor, he lived in the 16th century which is not the period we are discussing.

Great artists lived penniless lives while their art went unappreciated.

Mozart was among the top earners in Vienna. Beethoven lived in one of the largest houses in Vienna. Brahms's compositions made him tons of money. The amount of money spent on culture by the aristocracy and government was way larger than it is now, consequently very few artists had financial problems. Again you are just making up facts as you go along.

Meanwhile, huge uneducated populations lived to get drunk on a Saturday night. 

They would get drunk, but they would also see Shakespeare. I can see how this is difficult to imagine, but the historical record is quite clear. Even the most dingy parts of town would have (crappy) theaters and libraries.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #159 on: January 28, 2016, 12:52:12 AM »
This thread. This thread is why prog music and its fans don't get respect.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #160 on: January 28, 2016, 01:29:00 AM »
 :lol Blob, you always say what is in my heart. :heart

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #161 on: January 28, 2016, 01:54:27 AM »
Just as you always say what lies within the deepest, darkest recesses of my mind, where I'm too scared to ever venture out of pure fear of discovering the messed up individual that lies beneath.  :heart
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #162 on: January 28, 2016, 02:12:32 AM »
 :angel:

NOW we can close the thread.

...Seriously, kill this thing. It's some kind of chimera thread.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: January 28, 2016, 06:50:29 AM »
The Clash are a niche band

DTForums.org

To be true, London Calling is quite a legendary album. I don't see nothing wrong with thinking the songwriting in it is incredible.

You can - and should - think their songwriting is incredible.  It's your opinion, and how it connects with you.   My point is that you can't extrapolate that into something more general and cosmic.   They were more than footnote, less than legendary, big picture. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: January 28, 2016, 07:04:47 AM »
More complex music is produced, but barely any people listen to it compared to earlier centuries. That was my point. If you compare today's top 40 to the 18th century's top 40 you will see a massive difference in quality and complexity.

And there you go again, confusing "quantity" with "quality".   It would help your argument a LOT if you didn't keep confusing your assumptions with your conclusions.   There is no causal relationship between "complexity" and "quality", except in your belief system.

"Yesterday". 

It's not simply my hypothesis. Around 100 years of academic research by anthropologists and sociologists has been done on this and many books and articles have been written. I'm simply quoting their research. I can provide you with a list of sources if you'd like.

But it's still their opinion, and instead of doing your own research, you use theirs.  There are an equal number of academic pieces that suggest we are in a Renaissance era all our own with the explosion of technology and communication devices.   I have said now four times five different ways that you are looking at ONE sliver of culture and trying to extrapolate it across all culture without any regard for the rest.   I'm no social media fan, AT ALL, but just the fact that we can communicate 1,000 times the data in a millisecond that it took a month to communicate then is all we need to know about the complexity of culture today.  It's DIFFERENT, yes, but "dumbed down"?  That is your OPINION, not your FACT.

Purely in numbers: yes, because the earth's population is 10 times larger now.
Proportionally: no, and I can again provide you with sources.

Please do, because I am calling BS on that.

Mozart was among the top earners in Vienna. Beethoven lived in one of the largest houses in Vienna. Brahms's compositions made him tons of money. The amount of money spent on culture by the aristocracy and government was way larger than it is now, consequently very few artists had financial problems. Again you are just making up facts as you go along.

Yes, and much of what you consider to be the "more complex and higher quality art" was done on consignment and at the direction of others.  Not that dissimilar from Diane Warren writing a song for Aerosmith, or Max Martin (over)producing the new Taylor Swift album, is it?   So why is the former the standard and the latter a "dumbed down" version?  If anything, that the latter accomplishes the amazing feat of unifying over 100 million people is pretty damn amazing to me. 

They would get drunk, but they would also see Shakespeare. I can see how this is difficult to imagine, but the historical record is quite clear. Even the most dingy parts of town would have (crappy) theaters and libraries.

Yes but you're assuming that the "Shakespeare" was regaled then like it is now.  Now it's a clichéd euphemism for "high art", primarily because of it's age and ubiquity.   We're not at a point yet where we can even guess at who our "Shakespeare" is.   Perhaps Bruce Springsteen will be the guy that two idiots on the inter-brain-webs will be arguing about in 2416.  :)     

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #165 on: January 28, 2016, 07:34:16 AM »
Just asa side point here,I hate it when people glorify the classical music era as this era when "music perception and appreciation was at its height".
Those pieces were not meant, nor listened to, by the general public. They were written by people who resided with dukes and kings, for *their* pleasure. The music of the general masses in those days was no more advanced than today's Irish fiddle songs. Simple and repetitive, so you can dance to it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #166 on: January 28, 2016, 08:05:16 AM »
Wow...I can't believe you went there.  I never thought anyone would admit to listening to the radio.

To be fair, I rarely listen to the radio.  I usually listen to the morning show on one of the stations and the rest of the time, it's my iPod.  However, if I'm listening to the radio and something like ELP or Pink Floyd, or the like comes on, I will immediately change the channel, without hesitation.

Seattle ruled my Walkman in the desert.  :)

Much to my considerable dismay, it also ruled the entire music scene here and turned it into something that I really couldn't get much enjoyment out of (I chose to word that very diplomatically after a few edits. :lol).  I am, however, glad that in your circumstances at the time, it brought you enjoyment, when you most likely very much needed it.

^This.

« Reply #167 on: January 28, 2016, 08:09:14 AM »
Just asa side point here,I hate it when people glorify the classical music era as this era when "music perception and appreciation was at its height".
Those pieces were not meant, nor listened to, by the general public. They were written by people who resided with dukes and kings, for *their* pleasure. The music of the general masses in those days was no more advanced than today's Irish fiddle songs. Simple and repetitive, so you can dance to it.

This is often claimed but has no factual basis. Classical music was the music of the masses. Your statement is only true for Renaissance music and very early baroque music. After roughly 1700, music printing became much cheaper and what we now call classical music quickly became the most widely distributed music around. Some extra facts:

- Composers like Franz Liszt and Paganini toured Europe and played thousands of concerts during their lifetimes in very accessible venues. They were the first rock stars and real celebrities known to the masses. Many of these were even charity concerts and were freely accessible.
- During the late 18th and 19th century, music was a mass-market. Opera transcriptions by Puccini and Verdi to be played at home were sold by the ten, sometimes hundred thousands. Some great composers like Brahms could live off of sheet music sales alone. This is how widely the music was distributed. Thus it was hardly music for "dukes and kings".
- During the early 18th century, opera houses popped up all over Europe, often featuring very large "footman's galleries" which offered very cheap standing place brimming with workpeople. Opera stars were celebrities and one of the main foci of social gossip, not only among the aristocracy. Anyone who could afford a newspaper knew about them. Although opera was only for the upper middle class during the early 18th century, this quickly changed and was even accessible for common folk during the second half of the 18th and the whole 19th century.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #168 on: January 28, 2016, 08:23:32 AM »
I...

I cannot improve on this point.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #169 on: January 28, 2016, 08:36:51 AM »
Seattle ruled my Walkman in the desert.  :)

Much to my considerable dismay, it also ruled the entire music scene here and turned it into something that I really couldn't get much enjoyment out of (I chose to word that very diplomatically after a few edits. :lol).  I am, however, glad that in your circumstances at the time, it brought you enjoyment, when you most likely very much needed it.

While I get and agree with your general point wholeheartedly, Empire and Apple are not really indicative in any way of what would be coming out of Seattle for mass consumption shortly thereafter.  I will defend the greatness of those two albums to this day.  :)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #170 on: January 28, 2016, 08:39:08 AM »
Simple and repetitive, so you can dance to it.

Walk into any bar in any town, where there's a live band playing and this is usually what you'll find.  And if you find them playing something else, the likelihood that people will be on the dance floor plummets.  That's why songs like Mustang Sally, Play That Funky Music, Sweet Home Alabama, Shook Me All Night Long, and any other overplayed classic rock song you can think of, go over so well with the general public, despite bands saying how much they hate playing them.

You play whatever gets women to shake their ass on the dance floor.  If you bring the women, the men will show up.  It doesn't always work in the reverse (i.e. bring the men and the women will show up).  That's why there are always people joking about how you could swing a dead cat on a fifty foot rope at a DT concert and hit a very very low percentage of females with it.

While I get and agree with your general point wholeheartedly, Empire and Apple are not really indicative in any way of what would be coming out of Seattle for mass consumption shortly thereafter.  I will defend the greatness of those two albums to this day.  :)

Sure, those two albums are probably all well and good.  I know Empire well enough to agree.  As you've noted, I was raging more at the idea of "Seattle" as a musical entity.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #171 on: January 28, 2016, 08:44:17 AM »
Yeah, I mean neither one of those albums are in any way indicative of the (at the time) emerging grunge scene.  Are you not familiar with Apple?  Fantastic album. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

« Reply #172 on: January 28, 2016, 08:51:06 AM »
And there you go again, confusing "quantity" with "quality".   It would help your argument a LOT if you didn't keep confusing your assumptions with your conclusions.   There is no causal relationship between "complexity" and "quality", except in your belief system.

"Yesterday". 

To clarify this I'd have to go into an explanation on the objective metrics of music and how they relate to quality, for which this forum isn't really a suitable medium, so I suggest we agree to disagree on this particular point, or continue in PM as you wish.

But it's still their opinion, and instead of doing your own research, you use theirs.

Well that's kind of the whole point of the academic system right? Researchers do research for other people to use.

There are an equal number of academic pieces that suggest we are in a Renaissance era all our own with the explosion of technology and communication devices.   I have said now four times five different ways that you are looking at ONE sliver of culture and trying to extrapolate it across all culture without any regard for the rest.   I'm no social media fan, AT ALL, but just the fact that we can communicate 1,000 times the data in a millisecond that it took a month to communicate then is all we need to know about the complexity of culture today.  It's DIFFERENT, yes, but "dumbed down"?  That is your OPINION, not your FACT.

It seems we're using different definitions of culture. In my first post already, I clarified that by culture I was talking about public discourse and art, i.e. music, visual arts, literature. Sure technology and science have advanced, I never disputed that.

Please do, because I am calling BS on that.

During the golden age, in a city like Amsterdam the aristocracy consisted of about 10% of the population. This may not seem like much, but it's more equal than the current US. Receiving very extensive musical training was a must for this section of society and people who weren't educated in music were poorly esteemed (source: Well-being in Amsterdam's Golden Age by Phillips). The same was true for England and Germany, though it took slightly longer for them to catch up with the Netherlands' colonial urges and economic growth (History of western music by Norton).

Yes, and much of what you consider to be the "more complex and higher quality art" was done on consignment and at the direction of others.  Not that dissimilar from Diane Warren writing a song for Aerosmith, or Max Martin (over)producing the new Taylor Swift album, is it?   So why is the former the standard and the latter a "dumbed down" version?

Complexity is an objective measure. There is a staggering difference in complexity between a Beethoven sonata and a pop song. Therefore, a Taylor Swift song could be considered dumbed-down compared to a Beethoven sonata. Doesn't matter if it was directed by others or not.

Yes but you're assuming that the "Shakespeare" was regaled then like it is now.  Now it's a clichéd euphemism for "high art", primarily because of it's age and ubiquity.   We're not at a point yet where we can even guess at who our "Shakespeare" is.   Perhaps Bruce Springsteen will be the guy that two idiots on the inter-brain-webs will be arguing about in 2416.  :)   

We indeed cannot say who our Shakespeare will be. I can however tell who our Shakespeare will not be by looking at the top 40. Will Justin Bieber be the next Beethoven? Or Kesha the next Mahler? History has shown that pop artists, and especially those who don't break any new ground are very quickly forgotten. Case in point: let's look at the top 40 of as recently as 1960. Ever heard of Chubby Checker? Mark Dinning? Bobby Darin? These people topped the charts and are completely forgotten. Pop artists are mostly disposable products who perform disposable music. There are of course some exceptions like The Beatles, but even then: I gave some workshops in local high schools recently and most 16-year olds can't name a single song by them. A few of them knew a few songs but called them "boring" because they didn't have "a beat". I expect that in 50 years or so, bands like The Beatles will be just as marginalized as classical music, or even more so, because pop music isn't interesting enough for musicologists to write about and it is not possible to perform it since you kind of need the real Beatles for that, unlike classical music where the link between the composer and the performance is much smaller.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #173 on: January 28, 2016, 08:51:41 AM »
Yeah, I mean neither one of those albums are in any way indicative of the (at the time) emerging grunge scene.  Are you not familiar with Apple?  Fantastic album.

Honestly, the only reason I've ever even heard the name Mother Love Bone is because there was a transcription of one of their songs in a guitar magazine 20-ish years ago.  Not to be dismissive, but that's just the truth.  I rabidly avoided as much of the 90's/Seattle/grunge movement as I could by immersing myself in old Boston/Van Halen/Kiss albums.  That was around the time I started getting really into all this classic stuff I had missed out on.  So imagine my dismay when I'm learning about all this great music, in a time when Nirvana and the like were the flavor of the day.   :lol

Now that said, I can dig Soundgarden.  For some reason, they're okay.  Probably because Chris Cornell's voice will slap you in the mouth and say "you don't have any choice but to sit down, shut up, and respect how awesome I am".

DT rarely uses humor in their music and its an aspect of music I generally look for.

You would love Steel Panther.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #174 on: January 28, 2016, 09:00:43 AM »

Honestly, the only reason I've ever even heard the name Mother Love Bone is because there was a transcription of one of their songs in a guitar magazine 20-ish years ago.  Not to be dismissive, but that's just the truth.  I rabidly avoided as much of the 90's/Seattle/grunge movement as I could by immersing myself in old Boston/Van Halen/Kiss albums.  That was around the time I started getting really into all this classic stuff I had missed out on.  So imagine my dismay when I'm learning about all this great music, in a time when Nirvana and the like were the flavor of the day.   :lol

Now that said, I can dig Soundgarden.  For some reason, they're okay.  Probably because Chris Cornell's voice will slap you in the mouth and say "you don't have any choice but to sit down, shut up, and respect how awesome I am".

Completely understandable.  HOWEVER, they are about as much grunge as Queensryche, which is to say not at all (despite that two of their members founded Pearl Jam after Andrew Wood died).  I would recommend giving them a chance.  I mean, it definitely isn't Kiss/Van Halen.  But it isn't Nirvana either.