Author Topic: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - #1 Song Revealed!  (Read 33406 times)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Top 20!
20 And Yet It Moves (Darkness in a Different Light – 2)

As far as I’m concerned, this is the best thing Fates did in the last 30 years of their career and caps off the criminally underrated Darkness in a Different Light in fine fashion [...]

I agree 99% with this, just because AYIM is "only" their second best thing in the last 30 years ;) (#7 to me)

Seven Stars (#44 to me) - great riffs and solos. I wish Kings of Mercia had reached more this level in its songs.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline WardySI

Re: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - Top 20 in progress!
« Reply #526 on: October 26, 2022, 09:14:33 PM »
And Yet It Moves #37
Great minds Samsara although I love the intro and the acoustic changeup about the 9min mark too ;)  I gave out a quiet "Hell yes" when I saw this at #20 as I too thought I had this a little higher and think I mentioned already this one carries some nostalgic value having my then 13yrs old son pick it out as a favorite during a long road trip back when.  Anyway agree with all the kudos already given by you folks above, love it!

Seven Stars #2
But then a gave a little "Boo" when saw this didn't sneak into the top10 like I had hoped  :laugh:  Man the second this track dropped I loved it and it's rare I am won over by videos but its footage was  perfect.  It's no secret I rate those last few Fates Warning records as good as any Fates and without meaning to sound weird, I cannot get myself enough of modern Ray.  Everthing from Fates to his solo album thru A-Z (see what I did there?) he's singing as good as ever in my books and Seven Stars is hands down a winner on all counts for both Ray and the band.   

Oh and of course it made my song of the year and am off to spin it again right now! :metal

And Yet it Moves - I had this at #37. It's probably a tick underrated by me. Probably should have been in my top-30 for sure. I don't enjoy the intro. It's not that I hate it, it's quirky and for some reason it just takes something away from the tune for me. Once the song kicks in, I like it a lot.

Cool story - so on the U.S. tour preceding the European swing where Fates would record its Live Over Europe album, I did a bit of a roadtrip with a friend and we took in shows in San Diego and Los Angeles. During the San Diego soundcheck on January 13, 2018, they played "And Yet it Moves" for one of the first times in the "public" eye. (it was not really public, and it may not have been the absolute first, I'm not sure.) The funny thing was while it sounded great, it was awesome to see Ray having to pull out his phone to get a refresher on the lyrics. When I asked him later about it, he said that they are running a few things through soundcheck on the tour in prep for European tour.

Anyway, I recorded it, and you can check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=203YJniZDXY

Seven Stars - this has always been a favorite of mine off Theories of Flight. It came in at #16 for me. Loved it from the moment I heard it. Passionate vocals by Ray.

Here's a video I took from the January 13, 2018 gig in San Diego:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFjgs8SFdps

Awesome story and hadn't seen those vids Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 09:31:37 PM by WardySI »

Online The Realm

« Reply #527 on: October 26, 2022, 11:01:21 PM »

18 Eye to Eye (Parallels – 4)

Appeared on 15 of 19 entries
Top 10 finishes: 4
Highest Ranking: 4 (Dublagent66)

Eye to Eye - 18 for me, so nailed it! Just a great song, great vocals and melodies.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #528 on: October 27, 2022, 12:50:23 AM »

A bonus track for today!

18 Eye to Eye (Parallels – 4)

Appeared on 15 of 19 entries
Highest Ranking: 4 (Dublagent66)

Here we have the second of FW’s two “Eye” songs, both of which I assume were written with the specific purpose of writing a “hit single.”  I guess timing is everything.  Had this song been on Perfect Symmetry, instead of Parallels, it might have gotten some traction.  However, while I recall it getting some play on MTV, it came along just as grunge was breaking, and I’m not sure I ever heard the song on the radio.  Lyrically, the song is one of at least two on Parallels to discuss the perceived divide between Jim Matheos and fans of Fates Warning.  In this regard, it’s quite reminiscent of Rush’s Limelight, which I suspect Jim could relate to quite well.  Amazing performance by Ray.  I had it at #38 on my list, and I’m a bit surprised it made the top 20.

Eye To Eye #27
Surprised had it this high actually but feel I dismissed it a little being the obvious single back when but has grown over the years and when listened back before doing the ranker I was again quite taken by it again l.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #529 on: October 27, 2022, 07:34:20 AM »
18. Eye to Eye (NR).  Missed my top 50, but this is a solid song.  It wouldn't have been out of place on Queensryche's Empire, maybe sitting in place of Another Rainy Night?  Similar structure, similar dynamics, and I wonder how Geoff would've handled the middle section vocally.  Any way, Ray is the real MVP on this one, especially on said middle section.  I thought he got shrieky at times on Perfect Symmetry when going into the stratosphere, but here, he shows great control. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #530 on: October 27, 2022, 08:30:02 AM »
I had "Eye to Eye" at #21. Great single, fun song live. Sure, it's a bit poppy, but I don't mind it here and there. All my favorite bands have songs like this (Queensryche - Jet City Woman, Alter Bridge - My Champion, etc.). Always enjoy seeing it live. Speaking of which...from the San Diego show on January 13, 2018:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfgzHaF0h2c
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #531 on: October 27, 2022, 09:42:39 AM »
I've got lots to say about today's songs....

17 At Fates Hands/Fingers (Perfect Symmetry – 3)

Appeared on 13 of 19 entries
Top 10 finishes: 5
Highest Ranking: 3 (Zoom E)

When we discussed Part of the Machine, I mentioned that I’d never heard anything like it.  Well, POTM only scratched the surface!  Located halfway through Perfect Symmetry, if this song isn’t the blueprint for The Dance of Eternity, I don’t know what is.  After opening with an acoustic guitar/piano/violin etude, the song features a two-verse, very restrained vocal from Ray.  At about the halfway point, the song kicks in with some of the most amazing, but tasteful instrumental music I’ve ever heard.  TDOE certainly has more time changes, but this song might have more changes per minute.  The band moves effortlessly through sevens and fives and nines and elevens and 6-5-5-6 patterns, all the while utilizing two-guitar harmonies, as well as both keyboard and violin features, courtesy of Kevin Moore and Faith Fraioli.  This song finished at #9 on my list.  I was a bit disappointed it didn’t make it onto more lists, but it (along with today’s other song and one of tomorrow’s songs) had the most top 10 finishes of any song that didn’t make the overall top 10.

A quick note about At Fates Fingers:  Like Circles, AFF appeared on the Chasing Time compilation.  I’m not sure of the story, but it’s got some extra guitar overdubs that the song really didn’t need (and the vocal section is edited out).  It’s an interesting listen, but the album track is far superior IMO.

16 A Pleasant Shade of Gray XII (This Pleasant Shade of Gray) (APSOG – 8)

Appeared on 12 of 19 entries
Highest Ranking: 3 (jammindude)

This was my #11 song and my #2 ranked song on APSOG.  It also garnered the most top 10 finishes of any of the APSOG tracks.  I can’t overstate how cool this piece is.  After the frenzy of XI, XII starts with a simple, two-note guitar pattern, which is quickly joined by some very peaceful synth chord and lyrics beautifully sung by Ray, which I interpret as being about that fleeting moment when you’re awakening from a dream and remember everything.  The song quickly changes focus with a syncopated 5/4 pattern over four bars that forms the basis for most of the rest of piece.  Initially, it’s just bass and drums, but the guitar quickly joins with its own syncopated pattern.  Ray adds vocals of growing intensity, while the guitar figure subtly expands, adding, initially, a single contrasting chord, and then a second such chord to fill the empty space in the syncopated pattern.  Figuring out the rhythms in this pattern took me years.  The song builds to its climax around the 5:30 mark and then returns to the initial two-note guitar pattern with synth and a final, hopeful vocal from Ray.  And, if you let the song play through a good minute of silence, you’re woken by the jarring sound of an alarm clock.  It’s the perfect cap to APSOG.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - It...is...on!
« Reply #532 on: October 27, 2022, 10:32:51 AM »
No.  Ranked Songs                             Not Ranked Songs
50                                                       Face the Fear
49   Left Here                                       Don't Follow Me
48                                                       Exodus
47   Another Perfect Day                       Handful of Doubt
46                                                       Down to the Wire
45                                                       Chasing Time
44                                                       White Flag
43                                                       The Destination Onward
42                                                       Something from Nothing
41                                                       We Only Say Goodbye
40                                                       The Apparition   
39                                                       Wish
38   At Fates Hands/Fingers   
37   The Strand   
36   Outside Looking In   
35   Pale Fire
33   The Longest Shadow of the Day   
32   Part of the Machine   
30   Silent Cries   
29   Firefly   
26   APSOG III   
23   APSOG VII   
22   APSOG V   
20   And Yet It Moves   
17   The Road Goes on Forever   
16   Seven Stars
15   Don’t Follow Me   
14   Island in the Stream   
13   APSOG VIII
12   APSOG IX   
10   APSOG X/XI
  9   APSOG XII   
  6   Shelter Me/Circles   
  4   Eye to Eye   
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Lethean

« Reply #533 on: October 27, 2022, 10:54:21 AM »
I had At Fates Hands at 48.  I might like it even better with modern Ray vocals, but the original is a great song.

APSOG XII at #5.  Pg1067 has a great write up about this song, so I'll just add that I absolutely love it.  It finishes their best album in a beautiful and intense way.

Offline HOF

« Reply #534 on: October 27, 2022, 11:08:29 AM »
I’ve always liked Eye to Eye. Kind of saw it as the FW equivalent of Another Day. I like those kind of tracks in general.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #535 on: October 27, 2022, 01:38:54 PM »
I had At Fates Hand at #3, and it’s not even my highest ranked song from Perfect Symmetry.

I didn't rank APSOG XII. That’s probably an oversight on my part.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #536 on: October 27, 2022, 01:58:39 PM »

I ranked neither....

Right now, I'm 50/50.
18 songs ranked
18 songs UNranked

50                                                                              NR
49                                                                              Handful Of Doubt
48  APSOG IX (Stayed Up Late One Night)                     Chasing Time
47                                                                              APSOG III
46  APSOG VIII (Instrumental)                                     White Flag
45                                                                              APSOG IV
44                                                                              Firefly
43                                                                              The Destination Onward
42   Pale Fire                                                               Left Here
41                                                                              The Road Goes On Forever
40  Outside Looking In                                                 Island In The Stream
39  The Longest Shadow Of The Day                             APSOG V (Murder In Munich)
38  Face The Fear                                                        Part Of The Machine
37                                                                              Wish
36  Another Perfect Day                                               APSOG VII
35  The Apparition                                                       Seven Stars
34                                                                              Eye To Eye
33                                                                              At Fates Hands
32  Silent Cries                                                            APSOG XII
31  Don't Follow Me
24  And Yet It Moves
22  APSOG XI (Do You Think That I)
17  Exodus
13  The Strand
10  Shelter Me
6  Down To The Wire
4  Something For Nothing
3  We Only Say Goodbye

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #537 on: October 27, 2022, 02:04:35 PM »
Tim is such a unique dude.

:rollin
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #538 on: October 27, 2022, 02:06:03 PM »
And here I am thinking how awesome my list is.. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: October 27, 2022, 02:17:23 PM »
And here I am thinking how awesome my list is.. :lol

:-*

Offline romdrums

« Reply #540 on: October 27, 2022, 02:28:09 PM »
!7. At Fate's Hands/Fingers (9).  Absolutely a top ten Fates song for me.  The instrumental section is so fun to play on drums, as Zonder does a lot of really cool things that not many other drummers pull off.  When I first got my trigger module, I had my triggers set up on some extra drums so I could do the timpani part during the vocal section.  Such a cool tune.

16. APSOG XII (29).  A really nice way to close out the album.  I love the slow build throughout the tune, and I love how Jim works that guitar motif into the song in all sorts of different ways. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline HOF

« Reply #541 on: October 27, 2022, 02:34:45 PM »
At Fates Hands is a very cool track, and Fingers is a nice alternate instrumental version.

Online The Realm

« Reply #542 on: October 27, 2022, 02:44:21 PM »

I'm going to sympathise with TAC today, I also didn't rank either of these songs and I have 16 unranked in total so far not too dissimilar to his 18.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #543 on: October 27, 2022, 03:07:30 PM »
Ketchup time!!!

And Yet It Moves - I had it at #46. I like the parts, but IMO it feels like two completely different songs stuck together.

Seven Stars - honestly one of their best all time straight ahead rockers. I had it at #29

Eye to Eye - I grew quite fond of this one. And I suppose it is one of Jim’s better attempts at a “single”. I like it better when things are a bit more layered, but this is still really good. I had it at #45.

At Fates Hands/Fingers - I had this at #11. Everything that pg said about these next to is pure SPOT ON. Not sure I could add anything. Totally agree about the time shifts which are more subtle on this song than DOE, and because of that I think they are more emotionally effective.

APSOG XII - Really happy to be the high roller on this one at #3. Again, pg’s write up is perfect. I will add that it’s not just a great musical climax to the album. It’s the perfect emotional climax of the theme. The final of the 3 “where do we begin” motifs comes to its full emotional impact in this piece. It’s one of those near perfect musical moments.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline nick_z

« Reply #544 on: October 27, 2022, 04:47:24 PM »
At Fates Hands - My rank: #17

Fantastic write-up from pg, I don't have much to add. I will say, while I get the (future) reference to The Dance of Eternity because of the swirl of time signature changes, in this case I find the less in-your-face technicality here much more appealing.

APSOG Part XII - My rank: #39

Again, pg pretty much said it all. I might rank this lower as a stand-alone piece, but what a way to close the album. It's all about subtlety, the way the song builds and builds. Amazing stuff.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #545 on: October 27, 2022, 04:48:59 PM »
Right now, I'm 50/50.
18 songs ranked
18 songs UNranked

Impressively (based on a rather quick and dirty count), one ranker managed to get 44 of the 50 songs (3 more than anyone else).  The lowest number is 28.

Also, no one ever PM'd me to guess about the three songs included on all 19 lists.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #546 on: October 27, 2022, 04:56:37 PM »
So I had 28?  :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #547 on: October 27, 2022, 05:50:01 PM »
And Yet it Moves - I had this at #37. It's probably a tick underrated by me. Probably should have been in my top-30 for sure. I don't enjoy the intro. It's not that I hate it, it's quirky and for some reason it just takes something away from the tune for me. Once the song kicks in, I like it a lot.

Cool story - so on the U.S. tour preceding the European swing where Fates would record its Live Over Europe album, I did a bit of a roadtrip with a friend and we took in shows in San Diego and Los Angeles. During the San Diego soundcheck on January 13, 2018, they played "And Yet it Moves" for one of the first times in the "public" eye. (it was not really public, and it may not have been the absolute first, I'm not sure.) The funny thing was while it sounded great, it was awesome to see Ray having to pull out his phone to get a refresher on the lyrics. When I asked him later about it, he said that they are running a few things through soundcheck on the tour in prep for European tour.

Anyway, I recorded it, and you can check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=203YJniZDXY

I didn't comment on it - how cool is it that you got to witness this?

Offline WardySI

« Reply #548 on: October 27, 2022, 06:09:42 PM »
At Fates Hands NR
Good piece but I initially struggled a little with this as Ray's vocal harmony sounded too close to Chasing Time (which I heard first).  Probably just me or intended that way but anyway for that and reasons unknown, I never invested in this one aside from playing it through during album spins.  Sacrilege perhaps and clearly missing the boat here so will def need revisit...

APSOG XII #13
A stunning piece of music, this song was for a very long time head and shoulders above anything else on APSOG fer my ears.  The album wasn't an instant win fer me and took a long time to open up and to some degree I find I am still exploring and discovering more to love with it.  One thing I hoped for from this countdown was to be schooled on the album a little more, and so far that is indeed proving to be the case thanks folks ;D 

That said, I still remember on first listen the final track VII was instant, and the albums big ear worm fer me and had me going back for more.  Honestly surprised it was only at 13 as thought it had made my own top10.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 07:35:18 PM by WardySI »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #549 on: October 27, 2022, 06:17:50 PM »
So I had 28?  :lol

My ranked/not ranked breakdown is currently at 29/7, so I'm already past that  :biggrin:

Offline pg1067

Offline pg1067

« Reply #551 on: October 28, 2022, 09:35:40 AM »
Today we get two songs that are the last from their respective albums.

14T A Pleasant Shade of Gray VI (Turn Back All the Years) (APSOG – 9)

Highest Ranking: 1 (SoundscapeMN)

I have to admit that I was surprised to see VI turn up as the highest ranked piece from APSOG (which means that I and II are the only parts not to make it) since it’s smack in the middle of where APSOG often loses folks.  It’s a slow building song, with not much happening for the first couple minutes other than some repeating bass and guitar figures.  It really picks up in the second half of its 7 1/2 minute run time.  A great “chorus,” a tasty guitar solo, and a reprise of the opening chapter of the album make for a nice climax to the first half of the album.

14T Guardian (Awaken the Guardian – 2)

Appeared on 14 of 19 entries
Highest Ranking: 2 (Mister Gold, Puppies_on_Acid)

Well…here we are.  We started the countdown with Exodus from Awaken the Guardian, and we’re back…with what will be, unfortunately, the last of the three Arch era songs in the countdown.  Guardian is a wonderful song – a full-blown epic in a 7 1/2-minute package.  It starts with twin acoustic guitars and then a soaring instrumental figure before settling into its main groove and one of the best choruses in the band’s catalog.  I remember at my first Fates show, a bunch of us were in the parking lot to talk with the band, and someone asked Frank why they didn’t play Guardian.  His answer was something along the lines of:  "I don't know; we just didn't."  I wasn’t yet familiar with the song, but I put that in my pocket and soon found and bought ATG.  I had it at #18 on my list, and it was my third-highest Arch era song.  For those not familiar with the Arch albums, this is your starting point.  One question, though…who the hell is Karen?

So…now that we’ve seen the last of the Arch era songs, I’m going to interrupt the main countdown briefly.  Over the weekend, instead of continuing with the main countdown, I’m going to give you the rest of the top 15 Arch era songs (we know that the top 3 are Guardian (14T), The Apparition (32) and Exodus (49T)).

There were two Arch songs in the 51-60 group, and we had four lists that included no Arch songs, so I wondered what it would do to the overall countdown to eliminate those four lists.  Interestingly, while it bumped the two songs from the 51-60 group into the 41-50 group, it did not result in any other songs moving into the top 50.  It did bump Guardian into the top 10 and the Apparition into the top 20.  However, it did not impact the top 3 at all and (other than bumping Guardian), it did not otherwise significantly impact the top 10.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #552 on: October 28, 2022, 10:03:34 AM »
One question, though…who the hell is Karen?

According to google:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Ann_Quinlan

Guardian has a new meaning to me after reading the new Fates Warning book that came out this year and understanding John Arch's lyrics.  That song just blew me away knowing what it's truly about. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: October 28, 2022, 10:24:10 AM »

I didn't comment on it - how cool is it that you got to witness this?

It was really special. That whole roadtrip tour with my buddy, and the access we had those two shows was awesome. On the 2019 tour, I saw them three more times. Twice opening for QR, and the best one was a one-off headline appearance. It was at a bar in Redding, Calif., called "The Dip." I showed up way early at like 4 p.m., had a couple of beers with friends (who drove from UTAH), stayed for soundcheck. They could only fit half of the drum kit on the "stage" in the corner of the bar. During soundcheck, my friend took a picture of me, standing in front of the band playing. It was like our own personal Fates show. I have that photo, and the cool venue poster the bar had up, framed to my right here at my office. Signed by the band. It was really, really cool.

Once the show itself started, the place filled up much more. I was right in front of Jim and Ray for that. Check out a couple vids I took. It was actually too close to film, so it's a little bouncy:

One - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omkBdAZJ790

Another Perfect Day - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hks2ogtcPVw

I just took two. The band doesn't mind people taking a couple, but they were...displeased to see some guy literally standing in the back filming the entire performance. So after those two songs, I put my phone away. But check out the vantage point of Jim's solo in Another Perfect Day. Literally right up against me. So killer.

Those five shows are some of my favorite memories of shows (2018 and 2019). Really hope I get to see Fates again some day.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #554 on: October 28, 2022, 10:55:19 AM »
One question, though…who the hell is Karen?

According to google:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Ann_Quinlan

Guardian has a new meaning to me after reading the new Fates Warning book that came out this year and understanding John Arch's lyrics.  That song just blew me away knowing what it's truly about.

I could only find a 20+ year old, anonymous message board post that made that connection.  While plausible, that's hardly definitive.  Does the book (which I bought but haven't read yet) corroborate this?

Offline Lethean

Re: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - Into the top 15!
« Reply #555 on: October 28, 2022, 11:14:21 AM »
APSOG VI was #10 for me and I didn't rank Guardian.

Most of APSOG was in my top 15 so I'm sad none of them made it a little higher in the rankings.

Looking forward to the rest of the countdown though.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #556 on: October 28, 2022, 11:29:07 AM »
I didn’t rank APSOG VI, and Guardian just barely made my list at #49. I enjoy the songs on the Spectre Within more than Awaken the Guardian.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #557 on: October 28, 2022, 11:58:54 AM »
I have a lot of catch up to do, since I went on vacation immediately after this started and just now got back.

A Handful of Doubt - This one landed at #19 on my list and is one of many songs I love on FWX. This album is full of atmospheric songs that have amazing build ups and this song is a prime example. That spot at the 3 minute mark where the song explodes with those long held out chords is sublime.

APSOG VIII - This is one of those tracks that just loses me on APSOG. I had it at #112 and that might have been too generous  :lol. The piano intro is beyond annoying to me and the song does little to improve throughout its runtime.

The Longest Shadow of the Day - This just missed my list at #56. I love the jazzy intro for the first few minutes of the song before going full Prog Metal. The rest of the song goes through multiple interesting change ups which holds my attention well.

Down to the Wire - This was at #91 on my list and probably should have been much higher. Probably a misclick when doing the ranking engine. Just glancing at my list it should have landed somewhere in the high 50s. Good song with great sing-along vocal melodies. And Mark Zonder is a beast as usual. Kind of sounds like a lost Queensryche song in spots.

Chasing Time - I had this at #60. It's a nice mellow song, but nothing to write home about. Good vocals from Ray is the highlight here and the only thing that saves it from dropping way down in my rankings.

APSOG III - Another APSOG song that I have no idea how it made the top 50....I had it at #103. This whole album seems to be predicated on finding annoying melodies or grooves and doubling down on them hard. This song is no exception. This whole exercise has shown me that APSOG is really meant to be taken as a whole, but also this album has not aged well for me at all. I think the only FW albums I like less as a whole are NoB and DiaDL.

White Flag - Good late era FW. This came in at #67 and probably should have been a few spots higher, if I'm being honest. Then again there are much better songs on ToF.

Silent Cries - I really struggled with where to rank this. It ultimately landed at #45, but could have been much higher. Ray really shows off his vocal range here and is fun to (try to) sing-along to.

APSOG IV - One of the few APSOG tracks to make my list, coming in at #35, which thinking about now, might be about 10 spots too high, but there is something about the combo of Ray's vocal melodies and the fretless bass that just really makes this track. Then the second half with Mark showing off why he is the best FW drummer.

Firefly - Didn't make my top 50, landing at #66. Pretty good straight ahead rocker, from a mediocre late era FW album.

The Destination Onward - My #75. I love the build up here, even though it goes on a little longer than it needs to. The meat of the song is also really good, but again just too drawn out for what it is. Could trim a couple minutes from this song and you might have a proper top 50 FW track.

Left Here - FWX song doing what FWX songs do best. Atmosphere, build up, climax, mood. This only landed at #42, but it's such a good opening track for the most underrated FW album. Perhaps a little too long, but not by much.

The Road Goes on Forever - Landed at #21 for me. This hits just about all the aspects of what makes a great FW song. Great build, atmospheric and moody, and still proggy. Some great emotionally driven guitar leads and Mark Zonder kills it here with all the subtle percussion too.

Something from Nothing - Could pretty much repeat what I wrote about The Road Goes On Forever, only better. This was at #15 for me. What makes this better is the atmosphere in the build up and then when this song finally does climax it is soooo satisfying.

The Strand - Just barely missed my top 50 at #51. The chorus here really ties the whole thing together and makes for a great song.

We Only Say Goodbye - Classic FW song, that landed at #30 on my list. Great combo of verses and chorus wrapped in great proggy metal.

The Apparition - Glad to see this song make the top 50. I had it at #24. Fantastic Arch era song. John Arch shows off his vocal chops in this one. The second half of the song is absolutely brilliant.

Another Perfect Day - A song that absolutely should have been a radio hit, if they played actual good music on the radio....but I digress. I had this at #10 and it deserves every bit of that ranking. Great melodies throughout and an underlying atmosphere that is both subtle and is what absolutely makes this song. Plus Jim Matheos shows he can write and play a great catchy guitar solo with the best of them.

Island in the Stream - Here we go with another classic FW atmospheric song. I had this at #48. It suffers a bit from the production of Inside Out and the fact it isn't quite as good as other songs they've done in the same vein. It feels like a precursor to a style they would perfect on Disconnected and FWX.

Shelter Me - Just missed my list at #53. Another great song that probably would have been much greater with better production. The chorus is extremely catchy and wonderfully written.

APSOG X/XI - Landed at #94 on my list. Part X is just annoying and adds nothing to the album. Part XI is actually OK, but suffers a bit from what I mentioned before about hammering on one really annoying melody over and over. I actually really like Ray's vocals here though.

APSOG V - Now we're talking! This came in at #28. Perfect combo of great vocal melodies, great drums, and atmosphere.

Outside Looking In - Just squeaked onto my list at #48. Good vocals by Ray with another catchy chorus. More great drums from Zonder (I mean, when is he not good?)

APSOG IX - Just missed my list at #55. One of the less annoying tracks on APSOG. Great vocal melodies, especially in the intro and it has one of the better guitar leads on the album, even though it's short and sweet.

Part of the Machine - I had this at #33 and it probably could have been higher. Just an amazing Prog metal masterpiece that to me really paved the way for Dream Theater. The bass really stands out on this song to me. Plus Ray is amazing here.

Wish - My #27 and the second of the 2 moody masterpieces on FWX along with A Handful of Doubt. That repeated guitar melody throughout the song is just so emotive. Then the lyrics and vocals are just perfect. And Zonder's drumming elevates in to another level. I probably should have ranked this higher....Just too many good songs.

Pale Fire - Another one of those songs I consider a FW classic. It landed at #37 on my list. I absolutely love the vocals here and makes me always want to sing-along.

APSOG VII - Once again I am astounded at how high some of these APSOG tracks are in the aggregate top 50. This was at #108 on my list and kind of epitomizes everything wrong with this album in one track. That annoying piano melody is here in the intro and then the verses have a disgustingly bad rhythm and I don't like the chorus.

And Yet it Moves - This was just outside my top 50, coming in at #54. It's a great song, but it's far too long for what it is. However there are a lot of cool things happening throughout its runtime. Cut down to a 10 minutes song it might have made my top 40.

Seven Stars - One of the less interesting songs on ToF. Only made it to #90 on my list.

Eye to Eye - Another of the classic FW songs. I had this at #16 and deservedly so. A great vocal performance and wonderful guitar melodies. Also Zonder sure knows how to pull back and let a song breathe on the drums. Brilliant drumming, once again...I mean are we surprised at this point?

At Fates Hand - This landed at #29 on my list. Interesting track with a good build up with vocals only in the first half. It's almost like 2 separate songs. The band fires on all cylinders in the second half. It's another of those songs that I think Dream Theater owes a lot to. Fates Warning, along with Queensryche, really laid the groundwork for Prog Metal to come.

APSOG XII - For an album that is mostly full of annoying stuff, this song stands out in a big way. I had this at #9. This could have almost been on Disconnected or FWX with the way the song builds with atmosphere. And even though the song doesn't exactly climax, it just keeps building upon itself until it comes to a crest and resolves and then cools down into a brilliant ending to a troubled album. We can also ignore the last minute and a half of the song.

APSOG VI - How this ranked above APSOG XII I will never understand. While I only had it at #62, it isn't a bad song. It actually has a brilliant climax, but the song goes on for a bit too long in the intro and then the ending. Plus the start of that awful piano melody....kill me now!

Guardian - Alright! Highest ranker at #2. Just an absolute monster of a song. The intro with that brilliant guitar solo. The fantastic acoustic guitars flowing into the meat and potatoes of the song. John Arch at arguably his best. It is without a doubt the best Arch era FW song and there are a lot of fantastic Arch era songs. Sad that this is the last Arch era song in the top 50...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - It...is...on!
« Reply #558 on: October 28, 2022, 12:02:39 PM »
No.  Ranked Songs                             Not Ranked Songs
50                                                       Face the Fear
49   Left Here                                       Don't Follow Me
48                                                       Exodus
47   Another Perfect Day                       Handful of Doubt
46                                                       Down to the Wire
45                                                       Chasing Time
44                                                       White Flag
43                                                       The Destination Onward
42                                                       Something from Nothing
41                                                       We Only Say Goodbye
40                                                       The Apparition   
39                                                       Wish
38                                                       Guardian
37   The Strand   
36   Outside Looking In   
35   Pale Fire
33   The Longest Shadow of the Day   
32   Part of the Machine   
30   Silent Cries   
29   Firefly   
26   APSOG III   
24   APSOG VI   
23   APSOG VII   
22   APSOG V   
20   And Yet It Moves   
17   The Road Goes on Forever   
16   Seven Stars   
15   Don’t Follow Me   
14   Island in the Stream   
13   APSOG VIII
12   APSOG IX   
10   APSOG X/XI
  6   Shelter Me/Circles   
  4   Eye to Eye   
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 12:10:52 PM by Dublagent66 »
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline nick_z

« Reply #559 on: October 28, 2022, 12:30:33 PM »
I could only find a 20+ year old, anonymous message board post that made that connection.  While plausible, that's hardly definitive.  Does the book (which I bought but haven't read yet) corroborate this?

Yep, it does...