Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 341546 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club 30&Over/A.K.A, Obscure, Lonestar Lovefest!
« Reply #1470 on: January 23, 2013, 06:47:56 PM »
So... in 4 months will I be initiated as a member of this club?
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1471 on: January 23, 2013, 06:48:25 PM »
Only if you actually spend some time around here.   :P

Who are you again?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #1472 on: January 23, 2013, 06:49:54 PM »
Only if you actually spend some time around here.   :P

Who are you again?

My name is Forrest Gump.  People call me Forrest Gump.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1473 on: February 18, 2013, 12:14:06 PM »
Update: Your Kid's Friends Might Be Psychos

My 15-year-old daughter spent all day yesterday at her friend's house.  Let's call the friend Devo.  My wife said that she was basically "babysitting" Devo because she's been thinking about cutting.  Cutting... what, like cutting class?  No, cutting, and she mimes cutting across the inside of her arm with a knife.  Oh, that kind of cutting.

I happen to know that Devo is much closer to another friend of theirs, Carlie.  Devo and Carlie have known each other since they were five years old, and my daughter came into the picture maybe five years after that.  Devo and Carlie's Facebook pictures refer to each other as BFFs, which has actually been a source of some frustration for my daughter, who regards them both as friends and it hurts her that they clearly regard her as a "lesser" friend.

Anyway, I asked my wife why our daughter is babysitting Devo and not Carlie.  They're BFFs and all that, right?  (And also, they diss my daughter so let them fucking help each other through this.)  It turns out that Carlie was recently admitted to the mental ward of the local hospital.  She's been having "suicidal thoughts".  And now Devo is "thinking" of cutting herself.

HFS, are all high school girls crazy?  I mean, my daughter can be pretty nutty too, but not literally crazy.

I have no idea what the point of this was.  Guess I just needed to vent and share.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1474 on: February 18, 2013, 12:28:07 PM »
Maybe her friend just has an Uncontrollable Urge.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1475 on: February 18, 2013, 12:33:03 PM »
??

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1476 on: February 18, 2013, 12:51:12 PM »
Peer pressure man, that shit is a bitch. I just never understood why ´how other people think about you´ could ever get THAT important. When I was that age, I just flunked out. But perhaps it´s easier if you are/were a boy. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1477 on: February 18, 2013, 12:52:12 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRENoPisFYk

A more serious answer, all teenage girls are crazy. Some just handle it better than others. 

One thing I can tell you for sure is that teenagers getting tossed into loony bins doesn't necessarily mean much. Since all of them are insured, treating mental health issues becomes a highly profitable enterprise. I certainly went to visit a few female friends in "rehab," and none of them really had any problems other than typical teen angst.

One of my first jobs was working for a records management company, and I spent hours a day hiding in the archive reading psych records for a chain of these bogus facilities, and most of the kids they admitted were pretty normal. There probably isn't a kid alive that can't be pigeonholed into at least one axis-1 disorder, and therefore put away for 3 months until the insurance runs out. I suspect the posters you had on your wall when you were a kid would have been sufficient to label you mentally fucked by their fraudulent standards.

Fortunately, towards the end of my job there the FBI came down really hard on the bastards.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1478 on: February 18, 2013, 12:59:53 PM »
HFS, are all high school girls crazy?
Yes.  I speak from experience.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1479 on: February 18, 2013, 01:29:31 PM »
I'll be 42 in 3 weeks. 

On a side note, ive always wondered: At what age is it proper to stop using the "...and a half" after your age?
Do or do not; there is not try.
Trust your Force.  Strong!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1480 on: February 18, 2013, 01:58:36 PM »
For guys, age 5.  You're in school now; nobody cares if you're "five and a half" because you're still in kindergarten and that extra half year doesn't mean jack.  All that matters is what grade you're in, and eventually that won't even matter.

For women, no one knows.  They have their own rules and do not share them with us.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1481 on: February 18, 2013, 02:16:38 PM »
On a side note, ive always wondered: At what age is it proper to stop using the "...and a half" after your age?
When you start having to do math in your head to get your age in whole numbers. That started for me a couple of years ago.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1482 on: February 18, 2013, 04:52:48 PM »
No matter how shitty my day was as a kid, those kinds of thoughts never entered my mind.  It was either, fuck things up, or oh well.  I just had a real shitty day but tomorrow is a new start.  Maybe it's the beer I just cracked that's talking.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1483 on: February 18, 2013, 06:22:08 PM »
Well I'm 41 and 94/100ths old dammit.
Do or do not; there is not try.
Trust your Force.  Strong!

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1484 on: February 26, 2013, 01:36:13 PM »
I'm 38...and a half.

Yesterday morning a spider terrified me in the shower and I jumped back and screamed. Turns out it was navel lint and hair that balled up and washed down to sit on the bottom of the tub and LOOK like a killer death spider, but was in fact NOT a killer death spider.

:spider:
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #1485 on: February 26, 2013, 01:58:06 PM »
I've been a member of this club for just less than a year and I just now feel I'm in a career that will help me flourish. I'm finally being more than fairly compensated and it has made all the difference in the world in how I view my professional life.

/random interjection from out of nowhere
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1486 on: February 26, 2013, 02:03:43 PM »
Still in the "honeymoon" phase, eh bud? ;)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1487 on: February 26, 2013, 02:10:22 PM »
For guys, age 5.  You're in school now; nobody cares if you're "five and a half" because you're still in kindergarten and that extra half year doesn't mean jack.  All that matters is what grade you're in, and eventually that won't even matter.

For women, no one knows.  They have their own rules and do not share them with us.

It still confuses me when someone says their kid is (for example) 14 months.  No, your kid is 1.  23 months?  Still 1.  25 months?  Your kid is 2.  Unless, of course, people wouldn't find it odd when I tell them I'm 449 months.  In fact, maybe I should start doing that...

Seriously though, why is it so important to people how many months old a baby is (especially after they turn 1) and why is there some arbitrary line somewhere, wherein people stop caring about months old and convert to years old?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1488 on: February 26, 2013, 02:47:40 PM »
I think it's because they're still changing quite a bit at the age, and there can be a lot of difference between, say, 11 months and 23 months.  If the kid is 11 months, you might be tempted to round up to 1 year.  Okay, the kid is a year old.  If by your logic the kid isn't 2 yet when he's 23 months old, then he's still only 1 year old.  You run into the same friends you saw a year ago, tell them the kid is 1 year old and they go "Holy shit! Still only a year old?  He looks so much bigger!"  And he's actually over twice as old as he was the last time they saw him.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1489 on: February 26, 2013, 07:49:27 PM »
You know your old when a band you want to see is playing on a weeknight and it factors if you see them or not. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #1490 on: February 26, 2013, 11:10:46 PM »
Age of kids get confusing when you take culture into context. Like this Korean Chiropractor at the office said there they are counted as age 1 when born then on new year's they get another year (as opposed to on their birthday). So a kid born on new year's eve at 11:59 is 2, one minute later. WTF?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1491 on: February 27, 2013, 08:28:33 AM »
You know your old when a band you want to see is playing on a weeknight and it factors if you see them or not. :lol
Or the Patriots on MNF.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1492 on: February 27, 2013, 09:18:57 AM »

You bastard!! :lol

Sucks getting up at 5:00am to go to work.  I'm training a guy as my back up here so I can loosen up that schedule. :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1493 on: February 27, 2013, 10:25:36 AM »

You bastard!! :lol

Sucks getting up at 5:00am to go to work.  I'm training a guy as my back up here so I can loosen up that schedule. :lol
After seeing how miserable the trip out of Foxboro is, I honestly can't say that I blame you. They really need to do something about that.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1494 on: February 27, 2013, 10:31:13 AM »
And I'm an hour and a half out.  It seems that they want to control to much when it comes to the infrastructure.  To have a big parking lot with only one exit and one lane is absurd.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #1495 on: February 27, 2013, 02:13:06 PM »
Well, i'm not sure if I should be a part of this group.  I mean, I am only 521 months old.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1496 on: February 27, 2013, 02:46:11 PM »
Shouldn't the thread title be changed to 40 & Over?  30's ain't that old.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1497 on: February 27, 2013, 04:40:23 PM »
43 here
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1499 on: February 27, 2013, 05:30:04 PM »
45 in two weeks.  Where the hell did the years go?

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1500 on: February 28, 2013, 12:34:51 AM »
47...going on 48....goddamn!  :yeahright
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #1501 on: February 28, 2013, 08:23:25 AM »
43 and going to be single again for the first time in this millenium.  For the first time in about 20 years.  I'm a-scared.  I'm too old for this shit.  Maybe I'll just stick with the online pr0n.  At least it doesn't talk back...  unless I want it to.   ;)
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1502 on: February 28, 2013, 12:29:37 PM »
Shouldn't the thread title be changed to 40 & Over?  30's ain't that old.
It felt like it was when I got there. Certainly not anymore.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1503 on: March 05, 2013, 11:56:13 AM »
Any of you live far enough away from the rest of your family that you sometimes feel like you're kinda "out of sight, out of mind"?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1504 on: March 05, 2013, 12:49:33 PM »
Any of you live far enough away from the rest of your family that you sometimes feel like you're kinda "out of sight, out of mind"?
Kinda the opposite, for me. I tend to worry about my moms a bit more, since I'll often not speak with her for a few weeks at a time. As for the rest of my family, the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. As I get older, I find I enjoy family gatherings less and less. Birthday/holiday phone calls are better than big gettogethers.
E.F. Benson