Author Topic: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #1: We'll meet again my friend, someday soon.  (Read 24119 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #8: Once again we dance in the crowd...
« Reply #210 on: March 09, 2016, 06:55:02 PM »
it's pretty good

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #211 on: March 10, 2016, 04:09:06 AM »
I knew what it was from the title. And guess what, you got the best tracks right this time! :D
I can't believe Surrounded is in anyone else's top 3. I was expecting: "Where is Take the Time"? :P

Surrounded is even in my top 3 DT songs.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #212 on: March 10, 2016, 05:13:42 AM »
I knew what it was from the title. And guess what, you got the best tracks right this time! :D
I can't believe Surrounded is in anyone else's top 3. I was expecting: "Where is Take the Time"? :P

Surrounded is even in my top 3 DT songs.
Nice. It wouldn't be in my top 3 but surely in top 15.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #213 on: March 10, 2016, 05:52:55 AM »
Ugh. One of my least favourite DT albums this one.

I don't know how to process that.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #214 on: March 10, 2016, 12:22:37 PM »
Ugh. One of my least favourite DT albums this one.

I don't know how to process that.

Exactly. Basically Images&Words=DT

Offline Tomislav95

Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #7: After all it's all the same...
« Reply #215 on: March 11, 2016, 02:02:02 PM »
#7: Kansas - Leftoverture(1976)

Progressive rock

This is one of the albums I often overlook, that album I love but forgot about it and not listen to it for months. When I was making draft for this list I think Leftovertue wasn't so high. But fortunately, I listened to it before making final list and I remembered how great it is. And I still can't believe this was made in 1976. It really sounds like some modern progressive rock records. While I like '70s progressive rock, some artist and albums doesn't appeal to me that much because they sounds too happy for me. Most of this album is in major key (I assume, I don't really know music theory) but it is still very high on my list. I guess that's characteristic I like in prog rock with that hard rock edge (also in Wishbone Ash) more than in traditional prog albums. And there are some pretty rocking songs like Carry On Wayward Son and What's on My Mind. If I remember correctly I heard this album in summer of 2011 for the first time (be aware I started to listen to music "for real" in 2009) after hearing their most popular song, Carry On Wayward Son. I didn't love it on first but it surely grew on me. It's pretty obvious Kansas influenced my favorite band, Dream Theater (even though I can't recall if they ever talked about Kansas as their influence). There is note for note same melody in the song The Wall and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. When I heard it for the first time I was like wtf, this can't be coincidence. But we'll have to forgive DT, The Wall is certainly on e of the best songs ever IMO. And few other songs are contenders on my list. There is Miracles Out of Nowhere. song with constant mood changes, great keyboard, guitar, bass and violin melodies. Also, Steve Walsh's vocal performance on this album has to be (with Wetton on Red) my favorite vocals of 1970s. Opus Insert stand out with it's vocal harmonies, I love those. Another song I consider to be one of my favorites songs ever is Opus Magnum. It really is their magnum opus. Every instrument shines in this one and it reminds me of space rock in some parts even though there is pretty heavy instrumental section. Genius work. I love every bit of it, all members are on top of their games, instrumentals are sick and vocals are beautiful. Essential rock album. :hefdaddy
Recommended songs: Carry On Wayward Son, The Wall, Miracles Out of Nowhere, Magnum Opus
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 02:22:46 AM by Tomislav95 »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #7: After all it's all the same...
« Reply #216 on: March 11, 2016, 02:06:21 PM »
I need to actually listen to this someday, I have the vinyl hanging on my wall :P

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: March 11, 2016, 02:16:06 PM »
I will check this out after my roulette is over.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #218 on: March 11, 2016, 02:26:02 PM »
I need to actually listen to this someday, I have the vinyl hanging on my wall :P
You should, it's flawless :tup

I will check this out after my roulette is over.
I was planning to send you something off Leftoverture but someone else sent Song for America IIRC. I think you'd like this album better but maybe that's just me.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 02:40:42 PM by Tomislav95 »

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #219 on: March 11, 2016, 04:49:02 PM »
It's Carry On Wayward Son!!!! without the "My", everyone gets the name wrong  :'( I like this album quite a bit, doesn't happen to me too often with old prog rock records so that's saying something.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #220 on: March 11, 2016, 05:15:20 PM »
It's Carry On Wayward Son!!!! without the "My", everyone gets the name wrong  :'( I like this album quite a bit, doesn't happen to me too often with old prog rock records so that's saying something.
CD say so, YouTube video say so, and mp3 on my phone say so and I still wrote it wrong. Now I know someone is actually reading what I write :lol

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #221 on: March 12, 2016, 02:59:19 AM »
I've still never tried a Kansas album. Someday.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #222 on: March 12, 2016, 03:05:44 AM »
CD say so, YouTube video say so, and mp3 on my phone say so and I still wrote it wrong. Now I know someone is actually reading what I write :lol
Yeah, for the top 50's I follow, I'll be reading updates for albums I already like in case I'm interested what OP has to say about it, or albums I think I might like, to get a little more insight on the artist and recommended songs. I'm guilty of basically not reading any of the SFAM, I&W and SDOIT updates though  :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #223 on: March 12, 2016, 03:23:29 AM »
Yeah, for the top 50's I follow, I'll be reading updates for albums I already like in case I'm interested what OP has to say about it, or albums I think I might like, to get a little more insight on the artist and recommended songs. I'm guilty of basically not reading any of the SFAM, I&W and SDOIT updates though  :lol
It was Awake, not SFAM.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #224 on: March 12, 2016, 03:30:34 AM »
I know, I'm talking about top 50 lists in general. I do read Awake writeups from time to time because I'm still trying to figure out what's so amazing about it :biggrin:

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #225 on: March 12, 2016, 04:57:34 AM »
I know, I'm talking about top 50 lists in general. I do read Awake writeups from time to time because I'm still trying to figure out what's so amazing about it :biggrin:
Sorry, I misread that.
And about Awake, I love it as whole more than song by song. It used to be my all time favorite album few years ago.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #226 on: March 12, 2016, 05:29:18 AM »
i had this on LP, pretty cool, tho i didnt give it much time.  surprised to see it up so high!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #227 on: March 12, 2016, 05:42:26 AM »

Here's the write-up I did for Awake, almost 4 years ago: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=31767.msg1273144#msg1273144
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #228 on: March 12, 2016, 07:45:34 AM »
Awake is pretty  :metal

That's all you need to know.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #229 on: March 12, 2016, 08:53:55 AM »
That's a great list, and your mom has pretty nice drawers  :metal

Specially love seeing Gojira on these lists, From Mars to Sirius is one of my faves aswell. Flying Whales :2metal:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #230 on: March 12, 2016, 09:13:28 AM »
^ That list is 4 years old though, I don't think there would be much left of it if I were to do it over.
Squ

Offline Tomislav95

#6: Brand New - The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me(2006)

Alternative rock

My best discovery of last year (In Aeroplane Over the Sea was other, I forgot to write it in writeup). If you gave me this album few months earlier or even later I don't know would I like it. I don't even know how I discovered it but I was in right mood for it (and by in right mood I mean shitty mood :P ). There are some elements I dislike in music, generally that 2000s alternative rock sound that reminds me of all those bands I don't like :D . Fortunately, that sound is not really upfront. So, why I love it so much to put it on #6, ahead of some other flawless album? Answer is: emotion. I don't know any other album that awake so much different emotions in me (other than my #5, it's a secret). It's really sad but also heavy in some moments. Melancholic is probably the best word for it. And lyrics are dreadful, kinda emo, but I don't care :'( . Album starts with Sowing Seasons which is slow and mellow song... until whole band kicks in for one of my favorite riffs for headbanging and tearing my throat (yeeeeeaaaaah...). Other cool song is Millstone. I love it's lyrics and contrast between intro and chorus. Next song is Jesus Christ, their most popular (I think) but it's not close to being my favorite. I mean, it's great but there are some better songs. Degausser is also great song, I love chorus with catchy guitar melody and shouting vocals. Guys from Brand New really know how to make good and catchy vocal melodies. There are few in every song on this album. And as I wrote many times, I'm sucker for catchy vocal melodies. Also, I usually find alternative bands similar sounding, but melodies on this album are for me something special and different. You Won't Know is angry song, song that would make me smash something if I actually had balls to do so. But I'm just calmly sitting in front of my laptop with poker face on. I just realised there are too many good songs(every one of 13) to write something about all of them. So just few more words. Not the Sun: another angry song with great chorus and somewhat different feeling than any other song on the album. Luca: holy shit, those few notes on acoustic guitar are something. Tip: don't raise the volume too high on this one. The Archers Bows Have Broken: probably my favorite faster on second part of the album. Again, cool melodies, real catchy. Handcuffs: just :'( and :chill (there is cello on this one).
F*ck you Brand New, I probably won't sleep tonight.
Recommended songs: Sowing Seasons, Millstone, Handcuffs

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Knew this from the title  :metal I thought I had written this earlier but I was almost 100% sure either this or Deja Entendu would make your list.

Also discovered this last year (albeit through Parama's roulette  :laugh:) Limousine was one hell of an introduction for a band and is still my favorite song on the album, was pretty surprised not to see it mentioned after seeing that thread title. Though your 3 honourable mentions are my #2, 3 and 4 respectively.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Fantastic record  :hefdaddy

But you forgot to mention Welcome to Bangkok, one hell of an instrumental  :P

Offline Tomislav95

Knew this from the title  :metal I thought I had written this earlier but I was almost 100% sure either this or Deja Entendu would make your list.

Also discovered this last year (albeit through Parama's roulette  :laugh:) Limousine was one hell of an introduction for a band and is still my favorite song on the album, was pretty surprised not to see it mentioned after seeing that thread title. Though your 3 honourable mentions are my #2, 3 and 4 respectively.
It took me some time to get into Deja Entendu(I got into it few just months ago), The Devil and God was love on first listen.
About Limousine: yeah, it's great but I like others more.
Fantastic record  :hefdaddy

But you forgot to mention Welcome to Bangkok, one hell of an instrumental  :P
I could mention every song because I love them all :D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
limousine is the best tho

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Limousine, You Won't Know and Handcuffs are my favourites, but the whole album is incredible.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Never heard this.

No, that's a lie. I tried this years ago when my tastes weren't as evolved as they are now. I didn't enjoy it back then. Maybe I can try this again someday.
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
go listen to limousiiiiiine

Offline Tomislav95

Any guesses for top 5? :D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
aerosmith - just push play

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
aerosmith - just push play
This would easily make mine.

In Absentia is my guess, no idea for the other four though, maybe Rush or Pink Floyd or some other classic.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Shit Horse - They Shit Horses, Don't They?
Squ

Offline Tomislav95

Fuck, you already know 3 out of my top 5 :P

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Hey, it's that album that everyone under the sun loves and I thought sounded really good when I sampled and will probably be in the next vague handful of albums I buy.