Author Topic: Sonata Arctica thread  (Read 127210 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: Sonata Arctica thread
« Reply #1085 on: August 25, 2018, 07:13:49 PM »
That seems like a bad setlist... but Sing in Silence and The End of This Chapter would have made up for it for me, never having heard either of those live.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1086 on: August 26, 2018, 06:35:40 AM »
That is indeed a dissapointing setlist, wouldn't like that one very much either. I love the band, but they sure make a lot of weird decisions that alienate their fans. SHN has to be their least liked album amongst fans, so picking four songs from that seems like a bad decision (they should just do I Have A Right and let that be it). Furthermore, they recently performed Till Death's Done Us Apart (as well as all those songs connected to it), so unless it was killing Tony/was a disaster live, I don't see how that song would be too difficult for them to play.

I would have loved to see that acoustic tour they did (two years back?) and that Caleb series tour they did very recently (forgot how they called it).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1087 on: August 29, 2018, 08:22:40 AM »
According to a Finnish interview linked via Facebook, and with the help of some fans who translated, there is a new Sonata album coming... one year from now. September 2019. 2019 is looking like a solid year of releases for me already (Megadeth, Avantasia, Dream Theater, Sonata Arctica, and more - it's 2016 all over again!).

I hope the next album sounds more inspired and energetic than the last one.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1088 on: August 31, 2018, 07:47:39 AM »
Sounds great to me. All their recent albums have a few killer tracks that have a regular spot in my playlists. I wonder if they are ever going to release that live recording they did in Chile? From some yt vids, it seemed like a good concert and a great engaged crowd.

And yeah, there are a lot of releases to anticipate. Next year will likely have Demons and Wizards and the Blind Guardian orchestral project as well.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1089 on: September 03, 2018, 11:01:17 PM »
So you're promoting your new album, The Ninth Hour. How come you have 4 (four) SGHN songs and only 3 (three) songs from the new album in the setlist?
To be fair, the proper tour promoting TNH ended a year ago, after which they did the Caleb saga tour and these summer dates. I thought their song selection had looked interesting lately, with cool songs like Broken and The Last Amazing Grays making a comeback, but focusing that heavily on SGHN, which is possibly their least popular album, isn't very smart, and now that I look at the list, it's pretty heavy on the slow and midtempo stuff, so I can understand your disappointment. I suspect they're avoiding the Ecliptica stuff for now (besides the obvious FullMoon) because they played the whole album in 2015, but it remains to be seen whether Don't Say a Word gets retired for the next tour as well - it's been a staple for years now, so hearing something like Blinded No More from the same album instead would be refreshing.
Furthermore, they recently performed Till Death's Done Us Apart (as well as all those songs connected to it), so unless it was killing Tony/was a disaster live, I don't see how that song would be too difficult for them to play.

I would have loved to see that acoustic tour they did (two years back?) and that Caleb series tour they did very recently (forgot how they called it).
It was the Winter Chapter tour and Tony was sick on a lot of the dates, but TDDUA sounded great at least at my show.
According to a Finnish interview linked via Facebook, and with the help of some fans who translated, there is a new Sonata album coming... one year from now. September 2019. 2019 is looking like a solid year of releases for me already (Megadeth, Avantasia, Dream Theater, Sonata Arctica, and more - it's 2016 all over again!).

I hope the next album sounds more inspired and energetic than the last one.
Tony did say the new material is more positive, so it's safe to assume it's gonna be more energetic as well. He also revealed that there'll be acoustic gigs next year, but didn't specify whether they'll be limited to Finland like last time.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1090 on: September 04, 2018, 12:33:03 AM »
So you're promoting your new album, The Ninth Hour. How come you have 4 (four) SGHN songs and only 3 (three) songs from the new album in the setlist?
To be fair, the proper tour promoting TNH ended a year ago, after which they did the Caleb saga tour and these summer dates. I thought their song selection had looked interesting lately, with cool songs like Broken and The Last Amazing Grays making a comeback, but focusing that heavily on SGHN, which is possibly their least popular album, isn't very smart, and now that I look at the list, it's pretty heavy on the slow and midtempo stuff, so I can understand your disappointment. I suspect they're avoiding the Ecliptica stuff for now (besides the obvious FullMoon) because they played the whole album in 2015, but it remains to be seen whether Don't Say a Word gets retired for the next tour as well - it's been a staple for years now, so hearing something like Blinded No More from the same album instead would be refreshing.

However, these last three shows were promoted as the shows in support for The Ninth Hour, and during the show Tony explicitly said that these three shows conclude their tour for the new album.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1091 on: September 05, 2018, 01:44:04 PM »
However, these last three shows were promoted as the shows in support for The Ninth Hour, and during the show Tony explicitly said that these three shows conclude their tour for the new album.
Right, I wasn't aware of that - I just seem to remember that a year ago they (or maybe it was Henkka in his blog) made a post saying the TNH tour was done. Either way, maybe they didn't feel the need to promote the album with more than 3 songs in the set this far into the tour cycle anymore.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1092 on: September 05, 2018, 02:13:49 PM »
Do bands even count how many songs per albums are there? I think a band when thinking about a setlist actually thinks about stuff like:

- Which songs they think will work best
- Which songs they're most comfortable with playing
- How to have the least possible number of guitar changes *
- Avoid to have the singer choking or the drummer losing his strength because of demanding songs put back to back **

I think "Mh, we have 3 songs from this album and 2 from that, we have to rearrange the balance" is quite low on their priority.

* Mike Portnoy on a DVD, forgot which, was talking with JP's guitar tech and pointed out how he put two songs with the same tuning in a row so that there wouldn't be need for a guitar change
** Andi Deris from Helloween in a DVD said how with their setlists they didn't want to "kill the singer or the drummer"
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1093 on: September 10, 2018, 06:56:46 AM »
Do bands even count how many songs per albums are there? I think a band when thinking about a setlist actually thinks about stuff like:

- Which songs they think will work best
- Which songs they're most comfortable with playing
- How to have the least possible number of guitar changes *
- Avoid to have the singer choking or the drummer losing his strength because of demanding songs put back to back **

I think "Mh, we have 3 songs from this album and 2 from that, we have to rearrange the balance" is quite low on their priority.

* Mike Portnoy on a DVD, forgot which, was talking with JP's guitar tech and pointed out how he put two songs with the same tuning in a row so that there wouldn't be need for a guitar change
** Andi Deris from Helloween in a DVD said how with their setlists they didn't want to "kill the singer or the drummer"

It depends on the band - for example Opeth have typically played 2 or 3 new songs and 1 song from each previous album (with the exception of the debut or the first two, because there's not enough room) on their latest tours. But then Opeth's songs tend to be pretty long on average :P

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1094 on: September 10, 2018, 02:38:55 PM »
Sonata Arctica was announced as support for a special one off Kamelot show (also with Battle Beast support) in NYC one year from now.  Sucks reading some of their latest live shows haven't been interesting from people here.  I got my ticket for this one, but I feel SA has gone down hill since their first album for me and I haven't kept up although I did see them open for Nightwish a few years ago.  They were fine, but didn't win me back over.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1095 on: September 11, 2018, 08:35:08 AM »
I still have a 'The End of This Chapter' hoodie from 2005 when a buddy of mine saw them on the Reckoning Night tour and bought it for me.  :heart
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1096 on: September 11, 2018, 08:43:47 AM »
I only saw them once, on the Unia tour in 2007. This was the set:  I'm happy with the set, but would have loved one of the first 3 songs from Silence. What an incredible run.

1. In Black and White
2. Paid in Full 
3. Victoria's Secret 
4. Broken
5. 8th Commandment
6. Tallulah
7. FullMoon
8. Caleb
9. Black Sheep
10. It Won't Fade
11. Gravenimage
12. San Sebastian

Encore:
13. My Land
14. Don't Say a Word
15. The Cage

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1097 on: September 11, 2018, 11:06:27 AM »
I missed The Days of Grays tour because I was underage for that 18+ thing :lol Blind Guardian's At the Edge of Time tour had the same requirement and yet I went and everything was alright, so I regret not going to that particular SA show, especially since I love TDOG and the setlist was a blast on that tour.

Saw them three times then for SGHN, PC and obviously TNH. Pariah's Child tour was the best by far, one good setlist out of three.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1098 on: September 13, 2018, 12:40:22 AM »
I've seen them 7 times altogether, first in 2010. My favorite gig was the final show of the PC tour, where they played Ecliptica in full one more time (I hadn't read Henkka's latest blog entry, so it came as a total surprise to me) and some songs acoustically. It was their longest show ever, they had the X Marks the Spot preacher on stage as a guest, and Henkka smashed his keytar at the very end, just like on For the Sake of Revenge.

The second leg of TDOG tour - a week or so after they'd filmed Live in Finland - was great too, and even the SGHN gig was fun, but that was before things turned sour with Marko. My least favorite was my first one, because their set was ridiculously short - 12 songs plus solos by Henkka and Elias and the We Will Rock You thingie by Tony - and they seemed to be going through the motions, probably because their set consisted of just 4 TDOG songs and the most overplayed staples from the earlier albums.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1099 on: March 03, 2019, 02:24:19 AM »
:bump:

Sonata is on the Acoustic Adventures tour right now and I saw them live last night (setlist spoilers ahead!). It started out a bit slow, but the band got more relaxed and the audience really got into it in the second set. The country version of Paid in Full (with Tony singing the first verse in a mock Texas accent) and the humppa version of Flag in the Ground, on which Henkka played the melodica, were particularly entertaining :lol They've got Masi Hukari as an extra musician like on the previous acoustic tour a few years ago, and he played acoustic guitar, percussion and keyboards, as well as the flute on Letter to Dana (yay!). However, Elias played an electric guitar and a lot of the solos and fast riffs (such as Wolf & Raven) with distortion, so technically speaking this wasn't a totally unplugged show.

Some other highlights for me besides PIF, Flag and Dana were On the Faultline, Alone in Heaven and the duo version of Victoria's Secret by Tony and Elias, which sounded really pretty. Half a Marathon Man is still not one of my favorites, but it was fun enough and the transition into it from Only the Broken Hearts was cool. During the synth strings into of Among the Shooting Stars Tony was like "doesn't this sound like Walk of Life?" and started singing the melody on top. The rest of the band joined in and they played the song for like half a minute :laugh: We also sang Happy Birthday to Elias' dad, who was in the audience and whose birthday was yesterday.

I liked that they'd done some rearranging like lowering the keys to make them more singable for Tony in a stripped down setting, and that there was a lot of energy thanks to fast songs being played as well. I feel like not playing an arrangement of Wolf & Raven based on the 2008 version was a missed opportunity, but other than that I don't really have complaints. I had fun and I'd recommend seeing them on the Euro tour that's starting soon, even if you're not a big fan of the post-Reckoning Night stuff that dominates the setlist, because the vibe is a bit more spontaneous than in a normal SA gig due to the lack of backing tracks.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1100 on: March 03, 2019, 04:10:51 AM »
The setlist is better than what they played here the last time around, and despite what I said in my previous post, I probably would've gone to see Sonata on this acoustic tour... but of course they aren't playing in my country this time. :)

Good to hear you enjoyed it though!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1101 on: June 21, 2019, 06:39:52 AM »
New single called A Little Less Understanding is out today. The new album, called Talviyö,  will be released on September 6th.

I'm on the phone so I can't copy the message from FB for some reason, but I've listened to the track and ehhh. I probably won't even bother with the album based on that.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1102 on: June 21, 2019, 06:56:25 AM »
I'll try and listen to it, but if those are the premises....  :facepalm:

They should have made a single album with just the best stuff off the last three, something like:

01. The Wolves Die Young
02. Life
03. Only the Broken Hearts (Make You Beautiful)
04. Alone in Heaven
05. Fairytale
06. Till Death's Done Us Apart
07. Losing My Insanity
08. Blood
09. I Have a Right
10. What Did You Do in the War, Dad?
11. We Are What We Are
12. Wildfire, Part: II - One With the Mountain
13. Wildfire, Part: III - Wildfire Town, Population: 0
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1103 on: June 21, 2019, 07:56:40 AM »
I'm an ardent defender of the band up until The Ninth Hour, and even Pariah's Child is on shaky ground. Stones is a fantastic album and I stand by that, I'll skip almost nothing on that record. Maybe just "Don't Be Mean" - everything else rules.

Looking forward to the new record. The new single sounds like one of the Ninth Hour singles but less sedated, thankfully. Still worrying, however. Tony and the rest of the band sound bored, like they don't even want to be playing anymore, and they're just going through the motions. I recently decided their live shows just aren't worth seeing anymore and I'm hoping there's something on Talviyö to make me change my mind.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #1104 on: June 21, 2019, 11:15:42 AM »
I couldn't have been happier with The Ninth Hour and still listen to it often, but this new single isn't doing a damn thing for me unfortunately--everything about it sounds flat and uninspired. I'm still thrilled to hear that a new album is coming out soon.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1105 on: June 21, 2019, 03:06:32 PM »
https://youtu.be/FiM94N3FnQA

I didn't mind The Ninth Hour, but this is ordinary, yet again.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1106 on: June 21, 2019, 03:13:48 PM »
A total snooze fest once again, and as already stated sounds as though they are going through the motions...
Tony Kakko has obviously run out of ideas and the band needs an injection of something to give them what has been missing for a while now.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1107 on: June 21, 2019, 03:50:31 PM »
I thought Closer to an Animal was average, but in fact it was kinda alright compared to this song. I liked the "champagne glass" build ups in that one. There's literally nothing I like in the new song.

They should have made a single album with just the best stuff off the last three, something like:

01. The Wolves Die Young
02. Life
03. Only the Broken Hearts (Make You Beautiful)
04. Alone in Heaven
05. Fairytale
06. Till Death's Done Us Apart
07. Losing My Insanity
08. Blood
09. I Have a Right
10. What Did You Do in the War, Dad?
11. We Are What We Are
12. Wildfire, Part: II - One With the Mountain
13. Wildfire, Part: III - Wildfire Town, Population: 0

Man, that would've actually been awesome. Add Tonight I Dance Alone as a bonus track and this would've been a killer album.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1108 on: June 23, 2019, 11:25:38 AM »
The artwork is way to generic for my taste. Haven't listened to the single but barely dare from the reactions. I already thought the last 4 albums been out of ideas (with some good songs in there). Wtf happened. Sonata has so many highlights and was one of the bands I thought really released inspired and overall very creative solid albums. Maybe 4 year haitus? 😁

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1109 on: June 23, 2019, 12:47:39 PM »
The new single is essentially muzak with distorted guitars, but then SA's lead singles have rarely been among the best songs on their respective albums, so I wouldn't give up hope yet.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1110 on: June 23, 2019, 03:15:31 PM »
Wtf happened to this once great band?
Simple really, when Jani Liimatainen was booted from Sonata he took a lot with him, that has never returned.
Although he didn't get too many songwriting credits, it's obvious that he was a massive part of the old SA sound.

As a once devoted SA fan, I no longer have any interest in them, I did check out the new single and I will not be buying anything new from them.

But Jani has given us the magnificent Cain's Offering and now The Dark Element which both leave the recent Sonata releases in the dust.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1111 on: June 23, 2019, 03:39:55 PM »
It sounds like a typical downtime track later in an album. Feels a bit repetitive, but I don't mind the track. This, however, is not a track any band should use to promote their upcoming album. In general, I think SA has been fairly inconsistent, but many of my favourite tracks of theirs are of their modern albums. None of their recent albums sound cohesive as a whole. This is one of those bands were I make my own playlists and enjoy the hell out of it. I assume this album will have some gems for me as well.

I currently have something temporary with my ears (mixture between being clogged and an infection, totally treatable, but my hearing sucks for now), so I can't really judge the sound but assume it is bad,  because their last albums all sound terrible.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1112 on: June 24, 2019, 02:38:11 AM »
Some early album singles:
UnOpened, Wolf and Raven, Victoria's Secret, Don't Say a Word and Paid in Full.

I mean those are great, some even fantastic. Shitload of Money started the trend for me when the singles have been uninspired and really something I can't listen to.

Last albums Closer to and Animals and Life felt like strange choices when they had the Don't Say a Worf-esque Till Death do us Apart. I know Soanata always had success with the ballads like Tallulah, Shy and Last Drop Falls so maybe they are using the more standard and more ballady (but to me uninspired) songs like Life to get some of that audience.

Anyway I listen to Unia fairly often and just love the amount of creativity and melodies they achieve there and just can't understand where that spirit has gone. They can have extremely standard speedy songs that just doesn't do anything fun or creative outside of the main melody.

Let's hope the new album contains something a lot better than that (awfully blend) single. Production/mixing did sound better so that is positive! Thought Ninth Hour has some highlights but was sometimes hard to listen to because of the mix.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1113 on: June 24, 2019, 02:48:02 AM »
Also a small shout-out to The Days of Gray's that always hits me as surprisingly fantastic! Dont hear much talk about it in general but it really is high quality from start to finish imo.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1114 on: June 24, 2019, 03:35:57 AM »
It has some songs that never grabbed me that much, like - I know it will sounds like blasphemy - The Last Amazing Grays, and also Breathing... I can't even remember how that song goes. Also not sold on the double Everything fades to Gray combo. But Deathaura, Flag in the Ground and Juliet are among the very best songs they've ever done and there's a lot of other good songs on there... basically all the other ones I haven't mentioned I guess.

I'd say that no album after that was better than The Days of Grays.... and probably, and sadly, no one ever will.

BTW I'm team Unia - I love that crazy, wacky, insane rollercoaster ride of emotions and styles of that album. It's "anything goes" turned up to 11 and I love the hell out of it. That's what I'd personally call the album that no following release has yet topped.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1115 on: June 24, 2019, 07:09:19 AM »
"Winterheart's Guild" through "Days of Grays" is the band's 4-album golden period in my opinion. Some of the most unique, creative, and strongest power metal songwriting of the modern era is in that run. "Stones" also has a bunch of awesome songs. Basically kicked ass nonstop for about 10 years there.

I listened to "A Little Less Understanding" a few more times this weekend. I think it's actually stronger than the singles for The Ninth Hour. I do really like the chorus in this one, even if it sounds wimpy and soft. What happened to the energetic, powerful shouting Tony? He's been sedated and especially on TNH it sounds like lately his method of writing vocal parts is to meander his way through a song, never revise it, and call it a day. Although, On the Faultline (Closure to an Animal) is stunning, so who knows...

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1116 on: June 24, 2019, 09:16:12 AM »
I'd say that no album after that was better than The Days of Grays.... and probably, and sadly, no one ever will.

BTW I'm team Unia - I love that crazy, wacky, insane rollercoaster ride of emotions and styles of that album. It's "anything goes" turned up to 11 and I love the hell out of it. That's what I'd personally call the album that no following release has yet topped.

I'm both team Unia and The Days of Grays. Both fantastic albums.

I listened to "A Little Less Understanding" a few more times this weekend. I think it's actually stronger than the singles for The Ninth Hour. I do really like the chorus in this one, even if it sounds wimpy and soft. What happened to the energetic, powerful shouting Tony? He's been sedated and especially on TNH it sounds like lately his method of writing vocal parts is to meander his way through a song, never revise it, and call it a day. Although, On the Faultline (Closure to an Animal) is stunning, so who knows...

No shit, I think you nailed it. That's exactly what it feels like.

Regarding Breathing, if it wasn't for Tonight I Dance Alone, TDOG ballads are the last good ballads this band has done. I listen at Breathing and As If the World Wasn't Ending and then I listen to Don't Be Mean and Love and ugh.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1117 on: June 24, 2019, 09:36:50 AM »
Does The Day count as a ballad? 'cause holy f&*% I love that song SO MUCH. I just wish the intro went on longer or at least came back later in the song. My favorite songs on The Ninth Hour were actually the ballads; I think Candle Lawns and On The Faultline are sublime.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1118 on: June 24, 2019, 09:45:52 AM »
Right, I forgot about Candle Lawns and We Are What We Are counts too I suppose. I forgot about The Ninth Hour for a moment. :facepalm:

I do not consider The Day a ballad, but it's a decent song.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1119 on: June 25, 2019, 09:39:12 AM »
Candle Lawns are nice! Maybe even the biggest positive surprise on TNH :) The melody and overall tone is more classic Sonata to me with Tony singing very much from his heart. Not sure but it has the Sonata magic  :)

Breathing is a song I do like a lot. Not sure why. It has a sound I could easily think of as boring but I guess the lyrics and meaning captures something I relate with.