Author Topic: Sonata Arctica thread  (Read 127185 times)

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Re: Sonata Arctica thread
« Reply #560 on: August 29, 2012, 06:21:55 PM »
I'm just gonna come right out and say it after seeing that video: Sonata Arctica doesn't seem to want to make the kind of music that I like from them anymore. Guess I'll stick to the older stuff  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #561 on: August 30, 2012, 02:34:59 AM »
They still make some music I like. Aaaaaaaaaaaand some I don't  :'( if only the new album were a bit better.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #562 on: August 30, 2012, 02:36:00 AM »
I'm just gonna come right out and say it after seeing that video: Sonata Arctica doesn't seem to want to make the kind of music that I like from them anymore. Guess I'll stick to the older stuff  :lol

Me too, I prefer their older stuff (especially the debut) from the kind of stuff they do nowadays.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #563 on: August 30, 2012, 02:50:38 AM »
Well, you can't really call Shitload of Money one of the highlights of the new album! :lol The new album has some great stuff like Somewhere Close to You and Wildfires II and III but it can't beat Unia.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: August 30, 2012, 05:08:45 AM »
Well, you can't really call Shitload of Money one of the highlights of the new album! :lol The new album has some great stuff like Somewhere Close to You and Wildfires II and III but it can't beat Unia.
Hi. You're my friend now whether you like it or not.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #565 on: August 30, 2012, 05:15:03 AM »
But what if you thought Unia sucked?  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #566 on: August 30, 2012, 02:17:21 PM »
First 4 Sonata albums I love to death.
Last 3 have been more miss than hit for me and I'll probably not be buying anything else from them  :censored

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: August 31, 2012, 04:09:01 AM »
Hi. You're my friend now whether you like it or not.
There can never be too many friends :smiley:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: August 31, 2012, 05:43:03 AM »
Not digging this new one at all.  I mean, it's a step up from Days of Gays but it's still not that memorable at all.  A shame, last great album was Unia.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: October 06, 2012, 12:21:53 AM »
Saw SA live last night and they were great! :metal The band was on fire, you could clearly see how much fun they were having. The setlist for those interested:

1. Only the Broken Hearts
2. Black Sheep
3. Alone in Heaven
4. Losing My Insanity
5. Broken
6. The Gun
7. The Day
8. I Have a Right
9. Tallulah (acoustic)
10. The Dead Skin (acoustic)
11. Wanted Dead or Alive (Bon Jovi cover, acoustic)
12. Paid in Full
13. Shitload of Money
14. Replica
15. Fullmoon
----------
16. Cinderblox
17. Don't Say a Word

The new songs work really well live, with the exception of The Day, which didn't get an enthusiastic response and feels more like a studio song. While I Have a Right and Shitload of Money aren't my favorites on SGHN, they are excellent live songs and I could see them and Cinderblox becoming setlist staples. I only wish they had played Somewhere Close to You, but maybe I'll hear that song next time (Wildfire II and III will probably never be played live, unfortunately).

The acoustic set was nice, basically everyone was singing along to Tallulah - in the introduction of the song Tony revealed that it's #3 on the list of the most popular karaoke songs with lyrics in English here in Finland. The new arrangement of The Dead Skin was interesting but people didn't seem to recognise the song and to be honest I would've preferred to hear it in its original form.

All in all, an excellent gig and even the songs I've heard a few times live already, like Fullmoon, Replica and Don't Say a Word still sound great. Fullmoon sounds better now that it has been transposed down 2 semitones - when they played it last time I thought he was struggling a bit in the chorus. The Gun rocked, hopefully they'll play more B-sides live in the future.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #570 on: October 06, 2012, 12:32:52 AM »
I didn't realize so many people were down on Days of Gray, I actually really enjoyed it.

1. Reckoning Night
2. Unia
3. The Days of Grays
4. Winterheart Guild
5. Silence
6. Ecliptica

7. Stones Grow Her Name

I was very disappointed in their latest effort. It was so bad they cashed in all the goodwill I had for them. I'll still check out whatever they do next, but it's by no means an auto-purchase.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #571 on: October 06, 2012, 06:48:09 PM »
I'll still check out anything they put out, but the last thing I enjoyed from them was Unia. Didn't even bother getting the last two.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: October 12, 2012, 09:51:08 AM »
Dropped by to post the samples of the acoustic songs that will end up on the tour edition of SGHN: https://www.goear.com/listen/9ddf4c9/samples-acusticos-sgh-tour-edition-sonata-arctica

Somewhere Close To You is fucking priceless. That's the Sonata I love, right there.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: October 12, 2012, 04:13:58 PM »
Dropped by to post the samples of the acoustic songs that will end up on the tour edition of SGHN: https://www.goear.com/listen/9ddf4c9/samples-acusticos-sgh-tour-edition-sonata-arctica

Somewhere Close To You is fucking priceless. That's the Sonata I love, right there.

Very awesome. Thank you for sharing.

Couldn't agree more about Somewhere Close to You.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: October 12, 2012, 04:26:59 PM »

Very awesome. Thank you for sharing.

Couldn't agree more about Somewhere Close to You.
A pleasure :)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #575 on: October 12, 2012, 04:33:45 PM »
Days of Grays is a great album. Shame they played The Dead skin acoustic, that's a song to be blasted full-on.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: October 12, 2012, 04:40:07 PM »
Shame they played The Dead skin acoustic, that's a song to be blasted full-on.
How I wish I heard it. But I was one of the lucky people who got White Pearl, Black Oceans so I can't complain. Not bad for my second big concert ever :biggrin:

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #577 on: October 12, 2012, 04:42:31 PM »
This thread brings back old memories long buried beneath the surface. I used to like songs like The End Of This Chapter, Last Drops Falls, Tallulah and some others, about 5 years ago. It definitely feels like a lifetime has passed since that time. They were good, I believe, to my ears, back then.  :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 04:48:25 PM by wasteland »
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: October 13, 2012, 04:03:31 AM »
Yeah, it was an interesting version, but the aggressive part of the song is its peak IMO and they skipped it so I was a bit disappointed. Hopefully Somewhere Close to You won't have the same fate, although the clip sounds funny - I'll get frustrated if they play all their greatest heavy songs acoustically when I see them live! :lol
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 04:11:35 AM by ? »

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #579 on: October 13, 2012, 11:30:02 AM »
My ranking...

1. Silence
2. Ecliptica
3. Winterheart Guild
4. Reckoning Night

..The rest.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #580 on: October 13, 2012, 12:32:35 PM »
How I wish I heard it. But I was one of the lucky people who got White Pearl, Black Oceans so I can't complain. Not bad for my second big concert ever :biggrin:
Crap, you got to see White Pearl live? *is very jealous*

I couldn't catch them on their Days of Grays tour, but I saw them twice during the Unia tour (album which I love dearly)

Yeah, it was an interesting version, but the aggressive part of the song is its peak IMO and they skipped it so I was a bit disappointed. Hopefully Somewhere Close to You won't have the same fate, although the clip sounds funny - I'll get frustrated if they play all their greatest heavy songs acoustically when I see them live! :lol
Yeah, I just saw a youtube clip of that. It's an interesting arrangement, but it doesn't have the same impact of other acoustic counterparts, like Letter to Dana or Replica.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: October 13, 2012, 05:05:18 PM »
Crap, you got to see White Pearl live? *is very jealous*

I couldn't catch them on their Days of Grays tour, but I saw them twice during the Unia tour (album which I love dearly)
Yeah, I did. My date was the night before Tony got really sick and fucked his voice up for a couple months after, and I don't think they've played WPBO after it, at least not until the end of the tour or something. So I was really lucky.

Kudos for loving Unia, it's my favorite :heart

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: October 14, 2012, 01:00:27 AM »
My date was the night before Tony got really sick and fucked his voice up for a couple months after, and I don't think they've played WPBO after it, at least not until the end of the tour or something. So I was really lucky.
Damn, the only times SA played WPBO in Finland were on a couple of festivals in 2009 and my first time seeing them was in February 2010, after they had already dropped it! :sad: Well, at least I've heard Blank File, The Misery and The Gun live and it's not like those songs are setlist staples ;D

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: October 14, 2012, 02:54:58 AM »
Damn, the only times SA played WPBO in Finland were on a couple of festivals in 2009 and my first time seeing them was in February 2010, after they had already dropped it! :sad: Well, at least I've heard Blank File, The Misery and The Gun live and it's not like those songs are setlist staples ;D
I think we're really spoiled by being Dream Theater fans, but I don't see WHY they wouldn't mix their setlists up a bit more and play those epic songs like WPBO or the new Wildfires. There's nothing really difficult in it, they're only 8 or so minutes long. The only worry is that vocally they're demanding because the singing goes on throughout the whole song, but Tony's been in such an amazing and consistent shape vocally for the past several years, he completely blew us away during WPBO and translated every bit of the studio feel in it. If JLB can do Surrounded for an entire leg of the tour and get it nailed perfectly towards the end, as well as either Metropolis or PMU every night, at almost 50 years of age, I don't see why Tony can't do WPBO, The Power Of One and similar.

Did you go to the show where they were shooting the DVD?

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #584 on: October 14, 2012, 07:13:23 AM »
No, I've only gone to the shows in my hometown (Seinäjoki).

I think the reason they're not playing songs like Deathaura and the Wildfires is that they suppose the crowd reaction wouldn't be enthusiastic enough and that's understandable - DT dropped The Great Debate for the same reason last year. I find songs like The Power of One and WPBO vastly superior to, say, I Have a Right and Black Sheep, but the latter 2 will obviously get a better reaction from the audiences and that's why they stay in the setlist. However, SA are pretty popular here in Finland (each album has been certified Gold and they get played on the radio) and I think there are lots of diehard fans who would probably go crazy if they heard a song like Drop of Fuel or The Boy Who Wanted... live.

Even if the epics never get played, I hope they'll include more obscure songs into the setlist - they've definitely taken a step in the right direction by playing The Misery last year and The Gun on this tour. Perhaps we'll hear Peacemaker (I could see this one fitting with the new album's style), Champagne Bath or Fly with the Black Swan some day? At least it's good to know that they (according to an interview with Tony) won't play Wolf & Raven, The Cage, 8th Commandment or other basic power metal songs anymore - I didn't miss any of them at last week's show and I've started to grow out of that style, although I do still love many of the fast songs.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: October 14, 2012, 08:53:22 AM »
I think the reason they're not playing songs like Deathaura and the Wildfires is that they suppose the crowd reaction wouldn't be enthusiastic enough and that's understandable - DT dropped The Great Debate for the same reason last year. I find songs like The Power of One and WPBO vastly superior to, say, I Have a Right and Black Sheep, but the latter 2 will obviously get a better reaction from the audiences and that's why they stay in the setlist. However, SA are pretty popular here in Finland (each album has been certified Gold and they get played on the radio) and I think there are lots of diehard fans who would probably go crazy if they heard a song like Drop of Fuel or The Boy Who Wanted... live.

Even if the epics never get played, I hope they'll include more obscure songs into the setlist - they've definitely taken a step in the right direction by playing The Misery last year and The Gun on this tour. Perhaps we'll hear Peacemaker (I could see this one fitting with the new album's style), Champagne Bath or Fly with the Black Swan some day? At least it's good to know that they (according to an interview with Tony) won't play Wolf & Raven, The Cage, 8th Commandment or other basic power metal songs anymore - I didn't miss any of them at last week's show and I've started to grow out of that style, although I do still love many of the fast songs.
I completely agree with you. A lot of their tracks could really work live, even the obscure songs and the epics, and I'd like to see as much of them as possible. The crowd response for 8th Commandment in Belgrade was overwhelming - so overwhelming Tony knelt before us and let us sing the chorus. But I'm sure a lot of the people that were there would lose their marbles equally as much if they heard any of those songs you mentioned as possible choices.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #586 on: October 14, 2012, 09:07:59 AM »
I think we're really spoiled by being Dream Theater fans, but I don't see WHY they wouldn't mix their setlists up a bit more and play those epic songs like WPBO or the new Wildfires. There's nothing really difficult in it, they're only 8 or so minutes long. The only worry is that vocally they're demanding because the singing goes on throughout the whole song, but Tony's been in such an amazing and consistent shape vocally for the past several years, he completely blew us away during WPBO and translated every bit of the studio feel in it. If JLB can do Surrounded for an entire leg of the tour and get it nailed perfectly towards the end, as well as either Metropolis or PMU every night, at almost 50 years of age, I don't see why Tony can't do WPBO, The Power Of One and similar.

Totally. Just putting out a couple of points here, Tony began taking vocal lessons during the Winterheart's Guild or the Recoking Night days, I think (according to some interview). Before that, his voice live was pretty much hit-and-miss. The Songs of Silence CD contains some really mediocre vocal performances by him, and that's a shame considering that's the only place to find songs like The Power of One and Respect the Wilderness live. :( Well, nevermind. I think Tony's strengths as a vocalist lie in his expression. He's one of the most expressive vocalists I've ever heard and that's what got me hooked with SA either way, and I can forget his not-hitting-some-notes just with him being as expressive as he can. With the not-hitting-notes thing, I think it's kinda a shame because we'll never get to hear some Ecliptica songs live as they were originally concieved (I don't think Tony's ever hit the My Land high note...never take awAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! or Blank File in its original key) but hey, again as Mora said, that's my spoiled Dream Theater fan opinion (considering they've never transposed down their songs, which is a big compliment to LaBrie).

On the subject of The Power of One, it hurts me that they won't play that live anymore. It's one of my absolute faves by SA, just behind White Pearl and The End of this Chapter (my favorite SA song).
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: October 14, 2012, 11:34:11 AM »
Just putting out a couple of points here, Tony began taking vocal lessons during the Winterheart's Guild or the Recoking Night days, I think (according to some interview). Before that, his voice live was pretty much hit-and-miss. The Songs of Silence CD contains some really mediocre vocal performances by him, and that's a shame considering that's the only place to find songs like The Power of One and Respect the Wilderness live. :( Well, nevermind. I think Tony's strengths as a vocalist lie in his expression. He's one of the most expressive vocalists I've ever heard and that's what got me hooked with SA either way, and I can forget his not-hitting-some-notes just with him being as expressive as he can. With the not-hitting-notes thing, I think it's kinda a shame because we'll never get to hear some Ecliptica songs live as they were originally concieved (I don't think Tony's ever hit the My Land high note...never take awAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! or Blank File in its original key) but hey, again as Mora said, that's my spoiled Dream Theater fan opinion (considering they've never transposed down their songs, which is a big compliment to LaBrie).
To Tony's defense, he had a cold during the Japanese tour in 2001. However, I have the South American edition of Successor (which is pretty rare!) with 7 live tracks from 2000 and he doesn't sound much better on those. He does hit the notes, but he has to push himself to the limit and it makes the tone of his voice pretty bad. Those recordings sound amateurish overall as the songs are played so fast, like some punk versions! :lol For example, Tommy starts My Land pretty fast, but he has to slow down in the parts with double bass to be able to play them.

I didn't know Tony took singing lessons, I remember hearing he was self-taught. He did get some advice with pronunciation before the recording of Unia, though, and that's a great thing - it was about time he improved it! :lol He still has a bit of an accent, but it's not as distinct as his Finglish in early songs like Shy and Unopened. Anyway, even if Tony hasn't taken any singing lessons, I agree that he controls his voice MUCH better than he did 10 years ago. He knows his limits and is wise enough to sing lower or have the band transpose the songs if he's unable to reach the original notes. He sounded much more comfortable singing the chorus of Fullmoon last week than he did on the previous 2 times I'd seen SA live, so lowering the key definitely helped.
On the subject of The Power of One, it hurts me that they won't play that live anymore. It's one of my absolute faves by SA, just behind White Pearl and The End of this Chapter (my favorite SA song).
Agreed, I would love to hear TPOO live. Both Henrik and Marko mention it as their favorite song on Silence on the official website, so I guess the band likes it, but thinks it's too long. They could at least bring back the medley they played on Reckoning Night tour, which included snippets of TPOO, as well as other rarely played songs, like Destruction Preventer, Land of the Free and The Ruins of My Life.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #588 on: October 14, 2012, 04:07:54 PM »
Tony couldn't really reach those high notes without going overboard on the, uhm, squeakiness in the studio either, so I'm glad they do not attempt to do those live, it sounds a lot better. His accent and singing in general really started improving on WHG - that was when he started going for his "natural" voice more often than not and I love that about him. I also agree on his expressiveness being his strongest trait - for example, his performance on Draw Me on the bonus part of the latest DVD isn't perfect, but it brings me to tears, the way he does it.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: October 16, 2012, 07:52:43 AM »
Tony couldn't really reach those high notes without going overboard on the, uhm, squeakiness in the studio either, so I'm glad they do not attempt to do those live, it sounds a lot better.
Yeah, for example the chorus in the studio version of Blank File is pretty cringeworthy.
His accent and singing in general really started improving on WHG - that was when he started going for his "natural" voice more often than not and I love that about him.
Totally agreed, on the first 2 albums he was basically doing an impression of Timo Kotipelto and had a terrible accent (well, Timo is known for his Finglish as well! :lol), but on WHG he found his natural singing voice and started to get better at pronunciation, culminating in Unia.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: October 16, 2012, 08:14:41 AM »
Yeah, Blank File was the main example in my head of a song that works much better transposed - I absolutely loved it on the DVD.

And what a sweet, sweet culmination it was :heart

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: November 13, 2012, 03:28:36 PM »
Check out the pictures in one of Henkka's recent tour blog entries: https://stonesgrowhernameworldtour.blogspot.fi/2012/11/european-tour-in-belgium-811.html

:heart you'll know it when you see it.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: November 14, 2012, 09:40:01 AM »
Good one! :tup Progresja also seems to have a nice selection of gigs with SA, Paradise Lost and Katatonia.

I have to confess: I dislike the original version of Wolf & Raven with a passion. I know I'll get crucified by some of you, but I think the main riff is generic shredding, Tony sings way too fast and high and I find the lyrics cheesy - it's like a combination of the worst elements of power metal. I :heart the remake, though: the vocal melodies get to shine and overall it sounds unique instead of being just another fast power metal tune.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: November 14, 2012, 10:17:18 AM »
Good one! :tup Progresja also seems to have a nice selection of gigs with SA, Paradise Lost and Katatonia.

I have to confess: I dislike the original version of Wolf & Raven with a passion. I know I'll get crucified by some of you, but I think the main riff is generic shredding, Tony sings way too fast and high and I find the lyrics cheesy - it's like a combination of the worst elements of power metal. I :heart the remake, though: the vocal melodies get to shine and overall it sounds unique instead of being just another fast power metal tune.
I thought I was the only person in the fandom that hated the song!
:hug: I felt ostracized and denied before this moment :lol

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: November 15, 2012, 01:54:14 AM »
:hug: I felt the same, everyone seems to love that song, but it got old to me pretty quickly. Good to see I'm not alone! :)