Poll

Which band do you like better?

Led Zeppelin
34 (47.2%)
Porcupine Tree
38 (52.8%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Voting closed: June 20, 2012, 01:02:54 PM

Author Topic: Battle of the Bands Volume 8: Led Zeppelin vs Porcupine Tree  (Read 10976 times)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Battle of the Bands Volume 8: Led Zeppelin vs Porcupine Tree
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2012, 07:59:42 PM »
Also, Zep recorded Kashmir, which is one of the best things that ever happened to this world.
This.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2012, 09:36:34 PM »
   How this is even a contest is light years beyond me.

Because people are voting for what band they like more? ;)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2012, 10:04:43 PM »
My statement stands.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2012, 10:15:46 PM »
So spaketh Sir Coz, Lord of Beer and Boobies. :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2012, 10:24:37 PM »
Haven't read any posts, but just have this to say with the 4 vote advantage by PT at this point.

ARE YOU FUCKING SHITTING ME!?!?!?

That's all.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2012, 10:27:18 PM »
I wouldn't shit you, you're my favorite turd. :laugh: ;)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2012, 10:31:13 PM »
In case anyone was wondering to what my dismay was directed to, I'll direct you to my left shoulder:

Bosk, Nick, Wolf... you're dead to me now.   :D

*not sure myself if I'm serious or not*
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2012, 10:44:48 PM »
Even though I love Led Zeppelin, Porcupine Tree is always one of my top 3 favorite bands (the other 2 are Rush and Dream Theater).

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2012, 10:59:09 PM »
In case anyone was wondering to what my dismay was directed to, I'll direct you to my left shoulder:

*not sure myself if I'm serious or not*

Pretty cool ink, if I do say so myself. :tup

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2012, 11:56:38 PM »
I voted for Zeppelin to even out the results, because the only way to do both bands justice would be a tie.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2012, 01:36:07 AM »
Zeppelin

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2012, 02:19:04 AM »
Led Zepplin...
Porcupine Tree are great musicians but they lack the passion led zepplin have.
I love beautiful things.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2012, 03:28:35 AM »
Zeppelin is one of my favorite bands of all time. On the other hand, I got into PT very recently and think they are a great band, but time will show if they will top Zeppelin on my list. It's hardly gonna happen, though.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2012, 03:34:05 AM »
I guess it all depends on what you grew up with what your vote's gonna be in this one.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Ruba

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2012, 04:07:57 AM »
Not very familiar with these, but because I don't really like Porcupine Tree, I voted Led Zeppelin.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2012, 04:11:07 AM »
Led Zep easily for me
This

I have to admit that the PT fanboyism in this forum stil surprises me
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2012, 05:18:58 AM »
Led Zeppelin is a great band, but I gotta go with Porkie tree.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2012, 06:05:44 AM »
Kev, I have loved your album showdown series so far but the last two matchups have been quite strange. I'm not even sure how you could debate either side. First off, Metallica vs U2 I thought was an interesting choice. Both bands were even labelled as "alternative" back in the 80's. But they are so different, you either like one or the other. What's to debate?

Now Porcupine Tree and Led Zeppelin??
I understand PT is very talented and are a great band, but they are not even worthy of a conversation with Led Zeppelin.
I suppose people will like them more than LZ, and if this is a simple poll, fine. I mean LZ probably isn't in my Top 15 bands, but I still acknowledge their place at the top of the rock music food chain.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2012, 06:24:48 AM »
Led Zepplin...

o.O  There's definitely passion in PT.  Just watch any interview with SW, he's very passionate about what he does, and so's the rest of the band.  They just make completely different music than Led Zep.

I understand PT is very talented and are a great band, but they are not even worthy of a conversation with Led Zeppelin.
I suppose people will like them more than LZ, and if this is a simple poll, fine. I mean LZ probably isn't in my Top 15 bands, but I still acknowledge their place at the top of the rock music food chain.

Well the point is to put a band that's popular everywhere (Led Zep) and put them against a band that's popular here (PT) and see what the forum does.  Just to see who likes who more.  That's all.  Everybody just cool your collective jets. :)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2012, 06:32:57 AM »
they are not even worthy of a conversation with Led Zeppelin.

I'm sooo stealing this wonderfully articulated thought.  :tup

Well the point is to put a band that's popular everywhere (Led Zep) and put them against a band that's popular here (PT) and see what the forum does.

As what has happened is exactly what could've been predicted.  This forum is frequented by a mostly younger crowd, the majority of who are into newer, heavier, and more progressive styles of music.  It isn't rocket science to figure how this might likely turn out.  Take note that I said mostly younger crowd before telling me that fogies voted for PT (not directed at you specifically, but whoever).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 06:51:07 AM by Sir GuitarCozmo »

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2012, 06:51:52 AM »
I never really 'got' Porcupine Tree.  Cool band, but nothing that I'm drawn to.  And while Led Zep isn't exactly a favorite band of mine, I'm definitely drawn to them from time to time.

LZ. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2012, 07:59:52 AM »
Porcupine Tree, easily.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2012, 08:53:49 AM »
Led Zepplin...

And how exactly do you know this?

Well the point is to put a band that's popular everywhere (Led Zep) and put them against a band that's popular here (PT) and see what the forum does.  Just to see who likes who more.  That's all.  Everybody just cool your collective jets. :)

Bingo.

As what has happened is exactly what could've been predicted.  This forum is frequented by a mostly younger crowd, the majority of who are into newer, heavier, and more progressive styles of music.  It isn't rocket science to figure how this might likely turn out.  Take note that I said mostly younger crowd before telling me that fogies voted for PT (not directed at you specifically, but whoever).

Yeah, people voting for the band they like better, as asked.  How dare they!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2012, 08:57:03 AM »
The generational gap is there, but it's not such a big deal. As kev says, people are just voting for the band whose music they find to be better. Not much of a big deal.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2012, 09:01:24 AM »

:lol  Why?  I voted for Zep.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2012, 09:15:24 AM »

Yeah, people voting for the band they like better, as asked.  How dare they!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Play innocent about it.  You may as well have said "Who do you like better, Kiss or Dream Theater??"

Hmmm, let me guess how that would play out...

Pitting a board favorite against an aging classic rock band and then pretending there's no bias is like the defender who commits pass interference, then puts his hands up all like "WHOA, not me, I didn't do anything wrong" when he gets a flag thrown on him for it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2012, 09:21:17 AM »
It's 34-30 right now.  That is super close.  Kiss/DT would be an utter blowout, but I can do that one next if you really want definitive proof of that.

And it's not bias; it's personal preference.  Good God, man. :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2012, 09:33:42 AM »
I was just saying that the other matchups had bands linked to each other somewhat. I realize each thread is a snapshot popularity contest. But I just didn't see the connection between PT and LZ. To me it's not interesting because there's really nothng to debate. And I don't mean that in the way it's probably coming accross.
I mean, what do they have in common and what edges one out over the other?

Obviously the easy thing in the Metallica matchup would be to put them up against Megadeth, so I applaud Kev for not taking the easy way out, but I just looked at these threads as something more than "gee, duh, I like that one better".
The last two matchups had completely different bands.
I actually thought the Boston/GnR match up was a brilliant cross generational thread.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2012, 09:51:57 AM »
Kiss/DT would be an utter blowout, but I can do that one next if you really want definitive proof of that.

I fully expected the matchup to be made simply to reinforce Kiss hate around here, though if you were to do it, we could all agree it would be a complete waste of bandwidth and, as such, should be locked and met with a warning.

And it's not bias; it's personal preference.  Good God, man. :facepalm: :facepalm:

Po-TAY-to, Po-TAH-to.

I agree to disagree.  I seem to have to do a lot of that in GMD.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline jammindude

« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2012, 10:28:52 AM »
You also have to remember one thing when you talk about a prog rock crowd.

Prog rock fans (the aging ones specifically...especially the ones who are OL savvy) are the type that do not get locked in the past.   They are always pushing forward.

I was listening to thrash in 84-86, *before* it exploded in the late 80's.   I was listening to college rock and grunge in the late 80's, *before* it exploded in the early 90's.   In the early 90's I was listening to Dream Theater, *before* they went on to become what they are now.    I found out about Porcupine Tree in 2002, now 10 years later, a few of the kids on my block are PT addicts.   Now I have moved on to something else.

I voted for PT because I like them better.   *NO BAND* is considered to be "godlike legends" until they have been around awhile.   And with the diversified way that music is distributed nowadays, I don't see how *any* new and interesting rock bands will ever manage the sales status that Led Zeppelin achieved ever again.    So you can't go by sales...even though sales is what has essentially made Led Zeppelin so legendary.    What I mean is that, if the true "next Led Zeppelin" came out today, they wouldn't achieve the record sales, reputation or fan base...even though they might be just as talented, innovative and forward thinking. 

I grew up with Led Zeppelin, I think they are one of the most amazing and important bands that ever existed.   But in the broad scheme of things, they were an innovative blues band who was in the right place at the right time....and they are not going to get "untouchable" status from me just because of that.    No one is *totally* untouchable.    There will always be another band with a new and interesting and innovative sound.

I voted Porcupine Tree, because I like them better, and I think they deserve it.   If we were still living in a time when you could *ONLY* get music from a record store, Porcupine Tree would far bigger than they are...and they would be considered *rock legends* in about a decade from now.    But that's another down side of the "two edged sword" that is the new age of music consumption.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2012, 10:32:56 AM »
Great post jdude!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2012, 10:34:23 AM »
You also have to remember one thing when you talk about a prog rock crowd.

Prog rock fans (the aging ones specifically...especially the ones who are OL savvy) are the type that do not get locked in the past.   They are always pushing forward.

I was listening to thrash in 84-86, *before* it exploded in the late 80's.   I was listening to college rock and grunge in the late 80's, *before* it exploded in the early 90's.   In the early 90's I was listening to Dream Theater, *before* they went on to become what they are now.    I found out about Porcupine Tree in 2002, now 10 years later, a few of the kids on my block are PT addicts.   Now I have moved on to something else.

I voted for PT because I like them better.   *NO BAND* is considered to be "godlike legends" until they have been around awhile.   And with the diversified way that music is distributed nowadays, I don't see how *any* new and interesting rock bands will ever manage the sales status that Led Zeppelin achieved ever again.    So you can't go by sales...even though sales is what has essentially made Led Zeppelin so legendary.    What I mean is that, if the true "next Led Zeppelin" came out today, they wouldn't achieve the record sales, reputation or fan base...even though they might be just as talented, innovative and forward thinking. 

I grew up with Led Zeppelin, I think they are one of the most amazing and important bands that ever existed.   But in the broad scheme of things, they were an innovative blues band who was in the right place at the right time....and they are not going to get "untouchable" status from me just because of that.    No one is *totally* untouchable.    There will always be another band with a new and interesting and innovative sound.

I voted Porcupine Tree, because I like them better, and I think they deserve it.   If we were still living in a time when you could *ONLY* get music from a record store, Porcupine Tree would far bigger than they are...and they would be considered *rock legends* in about a decade from now.    But that's another down side of the "two edged sword" that is the new age of music consumption.   

^That post pretty much sums up exactly why some prog fans come across as elitist.  :lol 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2012, 10:39:52 AM »

I'm going to hope that you didn't just call a whole bunch of people on this forum "locked in the past".  Though it's real easy for people to pigeonhole me as "that hair band Kiss guy lol", calling me "locked in the past" is horribly inaccurate.

^That post pretty much sums up exactly why some prog fans come across as elitist.  :lol

Oh.  Holy.  Shit.  You took the rest of my post right outta my head.  Thank you.  It's borderline condescending.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2012, 10:42:48 AM »
Well the point is to put a band that's popular everywhere (Led Zep) and put them against a band that's popular here (PT) and see what the forum does.

Yes.  Everyone is voting who they like more.  And yet the results have been pretty close since it started.  When you posted that, it was 30/30 even.  Now its 34/33 PT.  It's pretty close.  Your tone seems to indicate that PT is winning by a landslide because of all the young kids (and occasional fogies, as you conceded).  This isn't the case.  Its who likes who more, as Kev said, and this matchup has been much closer than I would have originally anticipated (I too was wary about the "forum favorites" because I assumed it would be an uninteresting blowout in their favor.  Kev proved me wrong). 

jdude's post was pretty good (I really liked the 3rd and 4th paragraphs) but I'm not sure a majority of old prog rock fans don't get locked in the past.  Just reading an issue of Classic Rock Presents Prog makes me think that the only new bands they can write about (other than the established acts) are those trying to emulate Floyd/ELP/Genesis/Yes :P

Though it's real easy for people to pigeonhole me as "that hair band Kiss guy lol", calling me "locked in the past" is horribly inaccurate.

I dunno.  It seems to fit  ;)