Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 318940 times)

Offline gazinwales

Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around
« Reply #2135 on: November 03, 2020, 12:24:45 PM »
Listened to TOF yesterday, very closely and it's okay, nothing great and today I can't remember a single note, melody or anything.
APSOG, now for me this is a classic, almost a masterpiece a word I rarely use when talking about music.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2136 on: November 03, 2020, 12:39:09 PM »
just saying that PL is more accessible. You named Damaged and I Am I. Well, My Global Mind, Bridge, One More Time -- all more accessible than the songs on APSOG.

I won't disagree with that at all.  APSOG is anything but "accessible."  About the only songs on APSOG that might be reasonably described as "accessible" are IX and maybe XII.

Listened to TOF yesterday, very closely and it's okay, nothing great and today I can't remember a single note, melody or anything.
APSOG, now for me this is a classic, almost a masterpiece a word I rarely use when talking about music.

Exactly.  It's been a while since I listened to TOF, but there really is nothing that sticks for me.  Continuing the DIADL v. TOF discussion, most of the songs are memorable.  Firefly, I Am, Into the Black and Falling Further all have very memorable choruses (along with tons of other elements that are memorable).  Even the extremely proggy And Yet It Moves has tons of memorable passages.  Whenever I listen to it, I tend to have the acoustic guitar/bass intro in my head for days.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2137 on: November 03, 2020, 01:17:43 PM »

APSOG is a masterpiece.  FW's best album by far.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2138 on: November 03, 2020, 01:59:40 PM »
Just received FW's A View From Here DVD in the mail.  I loved seeing all of the music videos in chronological order.  You can really get a feel for the band's evolution.  Also, there were some pretty fun studio clips from the Disconnected era and a great retrospective interview with Frank and Joey about their time in the band.  And I didn't realize that Bernie Versailles of Engine and Redemption was a touring guitarist for FW in 1998.  It was fun watching him perform with Jim and Ray.  I feel like I'm eating, sleeping and breathing FW at this point, lol.  The album can't come soon enough.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2139 on: November 03, 2020, 02:49:01 PM »

Yeah, for me it's not even close.  To me Darkness is a transitional album.  They kind of went to a heavier and less electronic sound beginning with that album.

Agreed. That's how I'd phrase it too. A "transitional" album. It was also the first time they had recorded with Bobby, so the record had a heavier handed feel to it too, because of that. I remember interviewing Jim during that album cycle and if I recall correctly, he agreed as well, that Bobby certainly brought a more metal feel to the album.

Continuing the DIADL v. TOF discussion, most of the songs are memorable.  Firefly, I Am, Into the Black and Falling Further all have very memorable choruses (along with tons of other elements that are memorable).  Even the extremely proggy And Yet It Moves has tons of memorable passages.  Whenever I listen to it, I tend to have the acoustic guitar/bass intro in my head for days.

See, I think DIADL gets in its own way. The extended version of Firefly and the full version of Falling (Falling Further) are by far and away superior to what exists on the actual album proper. Trust me, I really enjoy this record. One Thousand Fires is incredible, and I love all the songs you named as well. I love the record. I just feel that they hadn't quite NAILED IT until Theories, which to me, is the perfect snapshot of who Fates is as a band.

Obviously, this is all about personal taste and opinion. And Fates hasn't done an album with Alder that I've disliked at all. I like them all and it was hard to even DO that ranking I did on the last page. I sort of just felt DIADL was them trying to really BE a recording artist again, after so many years, and trying to capture who they were at the time, and still nod to their past. And like I said, the edited versions of songs on the regular album was....IMO...a misstep. And on Theories, they just absolutely nailed it.

But there is no BAD Fates Warning record. Not by a long shot.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2140 on: November 03, 2020, 07:40:20 PM »
The Light and Shade of Things is HIGHLY memorable.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2141 on: November 03, 2020, 10:01:49 PM »

Point of View and Through Different Eyes are my clear top two songs from Fates Warning......but when I heard this song I stopped and listened......best song from Fates Warning since the early 90s IMO

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2142 on: November 04, 2020, 03:18:20 AM »

Yeah, I still stand by my opinion that it is the best Fates Warning song to date. I remember hearing a small sample of the first half of the chorus when Inside Out released a trailer for the album and not being impressed, only to find a ton of early reviewers RAVING about the song.

Then I got to hear the song for the first time and the second half of the chorus won me over in an instant. Quite possibly my favorite vocal melody to ever come from Ray.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Cintus Supremus

« Reply #2143 on: November 04, 2020, 06:35:21 AM »

Yeah, I still stand by my opinion that it is the best Fates Warning song to date. I remember hearing a small sample of the first half of the chorus when Inside Out released a trailer for the album and not being impressed, only to find a ton of early reviewers RAVING about the song.

Then I got to hear the song for the first time and the second half of the chorus won me over in an instant. Quite possibly my favorite vocal melody to ever come from Ray.

EXACTLY this. The first half of the chorus (starting with The light and shade of things / The light you held is gone) isn't really memorable on its own, but when it starts to transition out of it (with And I can't understand / How one is more important than / The other) and then lands into the You're nowhere now section...well, that's enough to make me stand up and cheer. It makes me think that what I consider to be the first half of the chorus is actually the pre-chorus. Because maybe it is?

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #2144 on: November 04, 2020, 06:51:32 AM »

EXACTLY this. The first half of the chorus (starting with The light and shade of things / The light you held is gone) isn't really memorable on its own, but when it starts to transition out of it (with And I can't understand / How one is more important than / The other) and then lands into the You're nowhere now section...well, that's enough to make me stand up and cheer. It makes me think that what I consider to be the first half of the chorus is actually the pre-chorus. Because maybe it is?

That would definitely make a lot of sense. And yeah, the transition and flow of the three different sections of the chorus is perfect as a collective whole. I just remember beaming when I heard that bit for the first time! :lol

I'm sorry, but there's not a single moment on DiaDL that matches the hype of TLaSoT's chorus for me. Not that there aren't good songs on that album though!
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Cintus Supremus

« Reply #2145 on: November 04, 2020, 07:08:37 AM »
That would definitely make a lot of sense. And yeah, the transition and flow of the three different sections of the chorus is perfect as a collective whole.

Wait. THREE different sections? Which part am I missing?

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2146 on: November 04, 2020, 12:00:24 PM »
My pre-ordered bundle of CD/Vinyl/shirt has shipped from the USA.
Let's see how long it takes, I have just received a record from Greece to Australia in 8 days, via regular airmail.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2147 on: November 04, 2020, 01:06:32 PM »
Yep, I received my Metal Blade USA ship notification before 6 a.m. this morning, followed by my Kingsroad European shipment (bought a special vinyl edition) later this morning.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2148 on: November 06, 2020, 12:49:01 AM »
Listening to Long Day Good Night now. Am in the 3rd song, Alone We Walk. Liking it so far.  :metal

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2149 on: November 06, 2020, 06:43:27 AM »
I am really enjoying this album.  Some of the softer songs haven't caught my attention yet, but the heavier, rocking songs are really, really good.  I like the direction that they've taken over the last 2-3 records.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2150 on: November 06, 2020, 06:49:36 AM »
I am really enjoying this album.  Some of the softer songs haven't caught my attention yet, but the heavier, rocking songs are really, really good.  I like the direction that they've taken over the last 2-3 records.

I'm with ya.  I'm just past the 1/2 way mark, and this is really good.  Glad I didn't bother listening to the single that was released (and the shade thrown at it).  As an album, this is exactly what I'd want in a first listen from FW.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2151 on: November 06, 2020, 08:54:00 AM »
I have loved every FW Alder album up until this new one.

This is the very first one that doesn't really do it for me. I dig Begin Again, When Snow falls and The longest shadow of day kicks ass, but besides that I find the album underwhelming. But more power to everyone that loves it.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2152 on: November 06, 2020, 09:02:52 AM »
Enjoying my first listen to the record this morning. Only about a quarter through the record, but really like it so far. Folks have remarked that it gets better with subsequent listens, but I'm not sure what's not to like on first listen. So much great stuff, and I'm only just now getting through Now Comes the Rain.  :metal

edit -- now up to The Longest Shadow of the Day. I was vibin' on the first couple of minutes and then it kicks in near the 3 minute mark and its like  :o

What an incredible intro. Hit the middle, and it slows back down again. So emotional. Crazy to think it takes almost six minutes before you hear Ray, but it works. So proggy, so moody. So Fates Warning.  :hefdaddy

okay, so I just finished my first listen. I don't have the lyrics in front of me, but I was trying to pay attention, particularly the latter half of the record. Is this a concept record? Because now after The Last Song concludes, thinking back over the songs, it has that feeling to me. My bundle is supposed to arrive today, and I'll relisten to the record with the lyrics in front of me.

But given the lyrics I was able to process while listening, I think it is. For sure.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 09:56:58 AM by Samsara »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2153 on: November 06, 2020, 10:13:20 AM »
Yeah, Longest Shadow of the Day Rips. Definitely my favorite track on the album and one I'm gonna be enjoying for a long time.

I love the bluesy chill parts as well.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2154 on: November 06, 2020, 10:24:21 AM »
Yeah, Longest Shadow of the Day Rips. Definitely my favorite track on the album and one I'm gonna be enjoying for a long time.

I love the bluesy chill parts as well.

Listening to this track for the first time. Really digging the bass lines here :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2155 on: November 06, 2020, 10:33:07 AM »
Listening now.

Nice of them to take their sweet time for 3 minutes before the actual music starts on the FIRST TRACK. Could've very easily made that a 5 minute track. Prog metal needs to stop, this record is 72 minutes :facepalm: I know I'm probably alone in this but oh well.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2156 on: November 06, 2020, 10:57:20 AM »
Listening now.

Nice of them to take their sweet time for 3 minutes before the actual music starts on the FIRST TRACK. Could've very easily made that a 5 minute track. Prog metal needs to stop, this record is 72 minutes :facepalm: I know I'm probably alone in this but oh well.

You’re probably one of those guys that think something from nothing drags.  :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2157 on: November 06, 2020, 11:09:11 AM »
Not at all, but that is funny :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2158 on: November 06, 2020, 11:52:31 AM »
Listening now.

You’re probably one of those guys that think something from nothing drags.  :rollin

The first 4 1/2 minutes of SfN is completely skip-worthy (much like a good chunk of that album, including all of the "title tracks").  Much like the first 3:45 of Octavarium.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2159 on: November 06, 2020, 12:12:10 PM »
but the start of Octavarium is tight af tho

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2160 on: November 06, 2020, 12:20:48 PM »
I used to be lukewarm on SfN...but once the mood of f the piece really clicked with me, it was non-stop goosebumps. Now I wish there was an extended version.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2161 on: November 06, 2020, 12:21:14 PM »
Listening now.

I'm guessing that intro may end up being some kind of nugget after multiple spins, but generally I am in agreement with you about the tendency to fill the space because it's there. 

I've only listened once so I'm going to reserve judgement until I hear it a few more times.  Ray Alder is someone I could probably listen to him recite the phone book and enjoy it, but he's in good form on this, that stood out first time through.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2162 on: November 06, 2020, 12:36:19 PM »
Making my way through my second listen, this time on my car audio system (which is a Fender system with a sub, tweeters, etc.). What came to mind was Ray was up higher in the mix compared to previous records. At least I think so.

Joe Baressi did the mix I believe (my LP will be delivered later today so I can go back and look). I dig it so far.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2163 on: November 06, 2020, 07:15:19 PM »
One listen through. There's a lot to take in. But damn, this album is excellent.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2164 on: November 06, 2020, 08:46:03 PM »
In an interview with Progcast on YouTube, Ray said that Jim might not want to write new material for FW after this. Just tour the existing FW material. Skip ahead to the 29:30 mark. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akyefuxFoX0
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 09:32:44 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #2165 on: November 06, 2020, 09:28:56 PM »
In an interview with Progcast on YouTube, Ray said that Jim might not want to write new material for FW after this. Just tour the existing FW material. Skip ahead to tbe 29:39 mark. Link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7UFUl17SgZQxAHsnuyxnIA

That's not a huge shock for me, unfortunately. The Last Song definitely came across to me as a "coda" for the band when I heard it for the first time yesterday. We'll see if things ever change on that front, I suppose.

As for the album itself, there's a lot to take in. In my two sittings on it so far, I like it a lot, but it's definitely lacking the immediacy that I loved about Theories of Flight. Right now I think my personal highlights are The Destination Onward, Shuttered World and The Longest Shadow of the Day.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2166 on: November 06, 2020, 09:52:45 PM »
Hopefully Jim might want to do another Arch/Matheos after this  ;D

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2167 on: November 06, 2020, 09:56:59 PM »
Hopefully Jim might want to do another Arch/Matheos after this  ;D

If Jim does another A/M album after this, I want Ray to call JP and ask him to make a record together ;D ;)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline WardySI

« Reply #2168 on: November 06, 2020, 11:50:01 PM »
Quote from: Mister Gold [i
As for the album itself, there's a lot to take in. In my two sittings on it so far, I like it a lot, but it's definitely lacking the immediacy that I loved about Theories of Flight. Right now I think my personal highlights are The Destination Onward, Shuttered World and The Longest Shadow of the Day[/i].

Agree completely. 

With postal services being what they are my Pre-order will probably take a few weeks to arrive yet so streaming getting a rare thumbs up atm and have given the album a few solid run throughs with plenty repeats along the way  ;)

And yes, my thoughts exactly, not as immediate as Theories but liking a ton of this and would add to those three tracks Alone We Walk and the out of the box Begin Again. Both those have a Darkness In A Different Light / FWX vibe about them and I'm hearing The Way Home is leaning that way too, all those are very welcome.

The song is otherwise great but not yet sure what to make of that chorus in Liar (is it just me or is this record a touch less prog?) and both the pre-release singles are fantastic. Particularly digging Glass Houses too. But of all that, Under The Sun was the one that moved me most on first listen, so go figure  ;D

Certainly hope this isn't the final FW but if so it would definitely make for a strong album to finish with :metal
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 11:55:12 PM by WardySI »

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2169 on: November 07, 2020, 12:55:10 AM »
Damn, Scars sound so much better coming in after Under The Sun.  :metal