Author Topic: New LTE - LTE 3 2021!!  (Read 56059 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: New LTE Coming Spring 2021!!
« Reply #385 on: January 23, 2021, 05:48:12 PM »
Thanks Ben_Jamin,  I don't know how I missed out on these for over a decade.  :justjen

I waited a while to get Live in NY. I only got it after seeing that video of Osmosis on Youtube, and saying, that sounds better than the LA one. So, I bought it as I knew the energy would translate better for a CD. Good thing I did, because that wasn't too long before Ytsejam Records closed shop.

I think it'd be awesome if LTE, went on Bandcamp, and offered the albums, and the live albums through there. They can set their own prices for the digital, and the physical copies. I honestly think Bandcamp is great for these small side-projects that are harder to get out there, the usual way.
They are! At least the studio albums are.

https://liquidtensionexperiment.bandcamp.com/

Although I assume Magna Carta has all of the rights to them, and this is all MC and not the band members themselves.

I did not know that. And I am thinking Magna Carta does have the rights.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #386 on: January 23, 2021, 07:20:04 PM »
Both LTE live albums were released on the 'Lazy Tomato Entertainment' label and not MC.
A timely re-release would be nice for those  :yarr

Offline PetFish

« Reply #387 on: January 23, 2021, 08:30:11 PM »
If MP was ever thinking about re-establishing Ytsejam Records, or something new and completely different, now would be a great time as he could re-issue the LTE stuff, mainly the video package, as part of an effort to promote LTE3 cuz it's pretty clear the fans are excited.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #388 on: January 23, 2021, 08:51:58 PM »
I actually just Tweeted him if there were any plans to re-issue the LTE live stuff.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #389 on: January 23, 2021, 10:24:36 PM »
I gave in and listened to the single. Pretty cool, though some of it sounds like rehashed ideas from certain DT songs. Overall, it was still more enjoyable than 98% of post-Portnoy DT.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: January 24, 2021, 07:11:11 AM »
I gave the new single a listen and it was pretty good, LTE never really click with me but I may scoop up one of the vinyls to support the guys.

Offline emtee

« Reply #391 on: January 24, 2021, 03:13:41 PM »
I've listened 4 times now. It smokes!

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: January 25, 2021, 08:51:04 AM »
I gave in and listened to the single. Pretty cool, though some of it sounds like rehashed ideas from certain DT songs. Overall, it was still more enjoyable than 98% of post-Portnoy DT.

i hear so many "references" to DT songs in this.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #393 on: January 25, 2021, 11:51:47 AM »
Any word on when pre-orders begin for this?  Sorry if I missed it somewhere earlier in the thread

Offline HOF

« Reply #394 on: January 25, 2021, 11:58:09 AM »
Any word on when pre-orders begin for this?  Sorry if I missed it somewhere earlier in the thread

It’s available for pre-order now!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #395 on: January 25, 2021, 11:58:47 AM »

Last Friday! I suggest checking out the orders at Laser CD. Buying the box set is less than $90 after shipping!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #396 on: January 25, 2021, 01:27:52 PM »
I have listened to both LTE albums numerous times but can't say I ever really loved any of the songs. I was there just to check it out, as a DT fan.

I checked out the new song with no preconceptions and really enjoyed it! I played it through a second time, straight away after the first listen! I'll say I'm looking forward to it more after hearing the new song, than before.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #397 on: January 25, 2021, 01:32:57 PM »
Honestly, I think I like this new single more than any songs from the first two albums. It does feel like a very familiar, solid Dream Theater instrumental, but I'm okay with that. It's got more energy behind it than any other LTE song I can think of, everyone's firing on all cylinders, and there's lots of really nice memorable moments spread throughout.

Another thing I just realized is that, since I became a proper Dream Theater fan after BC&SL came out, this will be the first time I'll be anticipating a new release of John Petrucci, Jordan Rudess, and Mike Portnoy music. I still enjoy a lot of post-Portnoy Dream Theater music, but I can't help but feel like this release might hold a bit more weight for me because of that.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #398 on: January 25, 2021, 01:59:35 PM »
MP and JP were both in Dream Theater when the first two LTE albums were made, while JR and TL were not.  Now JP and JR are in DT, but MP and TL are not.  That's why it sounds so different this time.  Almost completely different.  Half the band is DT members, but it's not the same two guys.

I'm kidding.  It sounds exactly like LTE to me.  I only started thinking about it because so many people are comparing it to Dream Theater, and honestly it doesn't sound that much like DT to me.  It sounds like LTE.  There is a different vibe.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #399 on: January 25, 2021, 02:08:09 PM »
Well, I mean, we have 2 dudes from Dream Theater and one former member of Dream Theater in this band, I think it's inevitable that some of the material is going to sound a lot like it would fit on a Dream Theater album. 

Offline darkshade

« Reply #400 on: January 26, 2021, 12:02:11 PM »

i hear so many "references" to DT songs in this.

This has been going on for over a decade in DT as well, and on JP's new album a little bit.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #401 on: January 26, 2021, 12:15:51 PM »
MP and JP were both in Dream Theater when the first two LTE albums were made, while JR and TL were not.  Now JP and JR are in DT, but MP and TL are not.  That's why it sounds so different this time.  Almost completely different.  Half the band is DT members, but it's not the same two guys.

I'm kidding.  It sounds exactly like LTE to me.  I only started thinking about it because so many people are comparing it to Dream Theater, and honestly it doesn't sound that much like DT to me.  It sounds like LTE.  There is a different vibe.

I've always heard it, LTE has always sounded like DT to me, at least post-Moore, but like a jazzier, jammier version with Levin bringing some of that King Crimson vibe. It's because JP on guitar and MP on drums, 2/3 of the core of Dream Theater's first 25 years along with the longest serving keyboardist of the band are basically doing their thing, just not song-oriented, and more instrumental composed stuff mixed with jams. JP's solo stuff reminds me of DT. Even some Neal Morse stuff reminds me of DT on occasion, especially with NMB as the guitars remind me of JP. LTE is the closest thing because 3/4 of the band were in DT at the same time. By contrast, and for the most part, JR's, JLB's, and JM's work outside of DT does not sound like or remind me of Dream Theater.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #402 on: January 26, 2021, 12:36:15 PM »
Honestly, I think I like this new single more than any songs from the first two albums. It does feel like a very familiar, solid Dream Theater instrumental, but I'm okay with that. It's got more energy behind it than any other LTE song I can think of, everyone's firing on all cylinders, and there's lots of really nice memorable moments spread throughout.

I think this best describes how I feel about the new single. There are some 'Scenes From a Memory' style melodies in there, that I loved, as it's my favourite DT album.

Let's just say I didn't expect to listen to the single and come out anticipating the album this way  :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #403 on: January 26, 2021, 03:40:57 PM »
I really enjoy the new single, looking forward to the album.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #404 on: January 26, 2021, 03:51:17 PM »
I have never thought LTE sounded like DT.  This new song included.

I mean, you can tell there are some of the same musicians.  But the music is different.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline HOF

« Reply #405 on: January 26, 2021, 04:26:32 PM »

I mean, you can tell there are some of the same musicians.  But the music is different.

There have always been bits and pieces that sounded alike, but a lot of that was due to Jordan’s distinctive sound and style. Most of the similarities are with post-LTE DT. There are a few parts that sound like earlier DT though. JP’s solo in Another Dimension always reminded me of the solo in Scarred.  But I think there are plenty of things that make LTE unique from DT.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #406 on: January 26, 2021, 07:33:13 PM »
I've always heard it, LTE has always sounded like DT to me, at least post-Moore, but like a jazzier, jammier version with Levin bringing some of that King Crimson vibe. It's because JP on guitar and MP on drums, 2/3 of the core of Dream Theater's first 25 years along with the longest serving keyboardist of the band are basically doing their thing, just not song-oriented, and more instrumental composed stuff mixed with jams. JP's solo stuff reminds me of DT. Even some Neal Morse stuff reminds me of DT on occasion, especially with NMB as the guitars remind me of JP. LTE is the closest thing because 3/4 of the band were in DT at the same time. By contrast, and for the most part, JR's, JLB's, and JM's work outside of DT does not sound like or remind me of Dream Theater.
In general, I agree with what dark shade is saying here. I've always viewed LTE as an extension of DT - especially the composed songs that they've written. Because everybody always loves the family analogy :omg: I'd say that while DT's albums are siblings, the LTE albums are cousins, and JP's solo albums maybe second cousins.  :P  I don't really see any connection to the Neal Morse stuff. If anything, *maybe* the SoA albums could be distantly related. But yeah, when it comes to most of the outside work of JR, JL and JM, they're all completely unrelated. In particular, the Platypus albums - despite featuring 2 (then current) DT members - sounded very different from DT's stuff. Maybe some of JL's stuff on EoP is vaguely connected in a way similar to SoA, but that's all up to individual opinions.

Another thing is that LTE lead directly to JR joining DT. So right or wrong, I will always view LTE as a part of DT.

There have always been bits and pieces that sounded alike, but a lot of that was due to Jordan’s distinctive sound and style. Most of the similarities are with post-LTE DT. There are a few parts that sound like earlier DT though. JP’s solo in Another Dimension always reminded me of the solo in Scarred.  But I think there are plenty of things that make LTE unique from DT.
Funny that you specify Another Dimension - in the past, MP has stated that it's the most DT-like song, which is why they played it in full a number of times during World Tourbulence in 2002.

There are definitely things that separate the two - the obvious one is that DT has vocals while LTE is all instrumental. And then there is the heavy improv aspect of LTE, which is present in DT, but nowhere to the same extent. In fact, when DT was doing the improvised jams in BTL and TLF (and even a few stand alone improvs) on the Train of Thought tour, MP described it as "pure LTE-land". But besides all the recorded improvs on LTE's studio albums (something non-existent on DT's studio albums), there are some things that would seem out of place on a DT album, like Osmosis, the "duets" and the tracks missing JP that have appeared on both albums.

Regarding what Hef said about the music being different, that may be the case, but I'd be willing to say that the composed instrumental tracks - to me - don't sound any less like DT than the songs that appear on The Astonishing. And I'm not saying that in a derogatory way, but from the point that TA sticks out from the rest of DT's catalog as being different. From my viewpoint, I'd say that LTE's stuff is no more different than that.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #407 on: January 26, 2021, 09:15:19 PM »
I have always described LTE as "instrumental Dream Theater, but with a different bass player."  Sure, there are songs DT would never do (Liquid Dreams, for one), but it's close enough in sound and style to where the description is accurate, IMO. 

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #408 on: January 26, 2021, 10:37:45 PM »
Another similarity between DT and LTE: very bad bass sound in the mix.  :rollin

I don't really remember the bass sounds on LTE1 and LTE2, but on the single it's very low.

Considering that my excitement about the return of LTE is approximately none, I must say that I was not impressed with the single (which does not surprise me  :lol)

Offline darkshade

« Reply #409 on: January 27, 2021, 09:28:54 AM »

I don't really remember the bass sounds on LTE1 and LTE2, but on the single it's very low.

Considering that my excitement about the return of LTE is approximately none, I must say that I was not impressed with the single (which does not surprise me  :lol)

I disagree, Tony's bass is front and center most of the time on LTE1 and LTE2, though a little low in the mix on the new single, and I've noticed when JP is involved, the bass is always a little lower than maybe it should be... but Levin plays things that, if you didn't know was him, you might think it was the keys. Listen to the 4 King Crimson albums he's on, as well as David Torn's "Cloud About Mercury" then come back to LTE.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #410 on: January 27, 2021, 10:09:24 AM »

I disagree, Tony's bass is front and center most of the time on LTE1 and LTE2, though a little low in the mix on the new single, and I've noticed when JP is involved, the bass is always a little lower than maybe it should be... but Levin plays things that, if you didn't know was him, you might think it was the keys. Listen to the 4 King Crimson albums he's on, as well as David Torn's "Cloud About Mercury" then come back to LTE.

As I said, I don't really remember LTE1 and LTE2, since I haven't listened to them in over 10 years. But on this single I thought the bass sound is pretty bad.

On "JP and the bass", I totally agree.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #411 on: January 27, 2021, 10:18:12 AM »

Disagreed, at least regarding Distance Over Time. Bass sounds incredible in that record.

And regarding this single, meh. This is a riff-driven piece of music that usually has both the guitars and the bass playing the same line very frequently. Harmonically the guitar is always going to feel more upfront for obvious reasons, and also considering JP's evolving guitar tone over the years. I can bet that even if you don't feel the bass as "present" as you should in this song if you muted everything that Tony played the song would feel empty and very thin in the 150-1k Hz range. Even if you can't distinguish it as clearly as you would like, it doesn't mean it's not doing something important. Something similar happens in orchestral music. Not hearing an instrument in particular very upfront and clearly doesn't mean the instrument is not doing something relevant in the overall orchestration.

This argument doesn't mean the mix is perfect my any means. I don't think any mix is perfect, ever, as there are so many different approaches one could take to sonically treat a recorded piece of music. Regarding this song in particular? If you ask me, everything works. No biggie there.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #412 on: January 27, 2021, 10:20:37 AM »

Yeah, because he uses Effects Pedals, that can get that type of sound. Are people actually forgetting this?... :lol

So what you think is Guitar Distortion, or some other sound, could in fact be the bass.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #413 on: January 27, 2021, 10:28:53 AM »

Disagreed, at least regarding Distance Over Time. Bass sounds incredible in that record.

And regarding this single, meh. This is a riff-driven piece of music that usually has both the guitars and the bass playing the same line very frequently. Harmonically the guitar is always going to feel more upfront for obvious reasons, and also considering JP's evolving guitar tone over the years. I can bet that even if you don't feel the bass as "present" as you should in this song if you muted everything that Tony played the song would feel empty and very thin in the 150-1k Hz range. Even if you can't distinguish it as clearly as you would like, it doesn't mean it's not doing something important. Something similar happens in orchestral music. Not hearing an instrument in particular very upfront and clearly doesn't mean the instrument is not doing something relevant in the overall orchestration.

This argument doesn't mean the mix is perfect my any means. I don't think any mix is perfect, ever, as there are so many different approaches one could take to sonically treat a recorded piece of music. Regarding this song in particular? If you ask me, everything works. No biggie there.

I was reading something about Mixers and Engineers, and how when they get people to mix, the mixer will want to try new things and expand their mixing capabilities, and will do Mixes that are experimental with the bands. Unless that band has a specific mix in mind, like Periphery and Nolly, no need to hire a Mixer or Engineer. And some bands prefer a certain mixers style, Kevin Shirley, but I think that was a label decision that the band could not get out of, and until they signed onto InsideOut, had to use the Mixers, Engineers, the Record Label gave them. It's why, I think, the band now has Jimmy T. There are contracts that state the label has the final say on who is chosen to mix, produce, engineer, and master.

All these mixers and engineers could have told the labels, during the loudness war it's brickwalled and clipping, but if it was an all around music business decision than they can't really do much, as they are hired by those record labels.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #414 on: January 27, 2021, 10:40:45 AM »
Oh. Apparently I am a losing vote.

But okay, I’ll probably listen to this record just two or three times. It doesn't matter how the bass will sound in the mix, after all.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #415 on: January 27, 2021, 11:35:09 AM »
And some bands prefer a certain mixers style, Kevin Shirley, but I think that was a label decision that the band could not get out of, and until they signed onto InsideOut, had to use the Mixers, Engineers, the Record Label gave them. It's why, I think, the band now has Jimmy T. There are contracts that state the label has the final say on who is chosen to mix, produce, engineer, and master.
Are you referring to DT here? Because that's not the case at all - the label doesn't dictate. Since SFaM, DT's been calling the shots as to who will engineer, mix and master their albums, and obviously they're doing the producing in house.

All these mixers and engineers could have told the labels, during the loudness war it's brickwalled and clipping, but if it was an all around music business decision than they can't really do much, as they are hired by those record labels.
Again, it's not the label that's dictating this - it's the band. And JP in particular has always been focused on the sonic end of things, even before MP split. He's the reason why they ended up having Kevin Shirley remix the majority of SFaM despite the fact that they had Dave Botrill do it initially. The same is true regarding the mastering.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #416 on: January 27, 2021, 11:57:36 AM »
And some bands prefer a certain mixers style, Kevin Shirley, but I think that was a label decision that the band could not get out of, and until they signed onto InsideOut, had to use the Mixers, Engineers, the Record Label gave them. It's why, I think, the band now has Jimmy T. There are contracts that state the label has the final say on who is chosen to mix, produce, engineer, and master.
Are you referring to DT here? Because that's not the case at all - the label doesn't dictate. Since SFaM, DT's been calling the shots as to who will engineer, mix and master their albums, and obviously they're doing the producing in house.

Again, it's not the label that's dictating this - it's the band. And JP in particular has always been focused on the sonic end of things, even before MP split. He's the reason why they ended up having Kevin Shirley remix the majority of SFaM despite the fact that they had Dave Botrill do it initially. The same is true regarding the mastering.

Oh ok. The label suggests those people though right? Or did JP actually want Kevin Shirley himself to mix?

Like they didn't want Botrill, but then as they worked with Shirley before, JP suggested Shirley again, as he did do FII...I think I answered my own question... :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #417 on: January 27, 2021, 12:23:31 PM »
Oh ok. The label suggests those people though right? Or did JP actually want Kevin Shirley himself to mix?
Before SFaM, the band still had a list of producers they wanted to work with that they would give the label, but the label would have the final say. I remember that during 1996-97, there was talk of Kevin Gilbert producing them (until he passed away) and other names included Paul Northfield and Peter Collins, and maybe Trevor Horn (can't remember for certain). In the end, they got Kevin Shirley, who I do believe was on that list, too.

Like they didn't want Botrill, but then as they worked with Shirley before, JP suggested Shirley again, as he did do FII...I think I answered my own question... :lol
No, They wanted and chose Botrill because he had worked with King Crimson, Tool and Peter Gabriel and thought he would be a good fit for their new album. But the end result wasn't good enough, particularly for JP. Which is why they brought Kevin Shirley in to do the remixes. Keep in mind that Kevin Shirley not only worked with them on FII but also remixed the first LTE album for the same reason - they didn't like the original mix that was done (can't remember for sure, but I think Kosaku Nakamura did it), as well as doing the mixing for LTE2. So they knew he could get them the mix they were looking for.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #418 on: January 27, 2021, 05:35:56 PM »
I think when you look at the history of LTE1 and LTE2 it's easy to forget that in DT land. DT did 3 main things in the 90s/early 00s and it was a hybrid of metal, progressive and/or ballad or jazz/jam tendencies. Metal was only 1/3 of the sound they had going on (IMO) before they started cranking metal levels up with SDOIT to where metal is now 2/3 of their sound. With LTE3, the metal is still there, but it's more evenly spread out among the progressive and the solos. So that is one reason I always felt LTE was instrumental slightly jazzy Dream Theater, as Rudess had played with Dixie Dregs, Jan Hammer, and Tony Williams before playing with Dream Theater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz2lRxzqvTM
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 05:49:34 PM by darkshade »

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #419 on: January 30, 2021, 06:00:38 PM »
The single was fine. The main riff a little outside of an 'LTE' sound, imho. The solos were quite good.

Excited for the rest of the album. I ended up ordering the artbook with the BR/2 CD.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies