Author Topic: The next song Dream Theater play live is...  (Read 1468 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: The next song Dream Theater play live is...
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2023, 06:59:18 AM »
Hmmm, definitely a few good options going album by album:

WDaDU- Probably not coming from here. Maybe Ytse Jam has an outside shot?
I&W- The proverbial curtain coming up and launching into Under a Glass Moon could be a cool way to open a show. Or maybe the intro music stops and the Metropolis chimes start. Seems mean to ask James to jump right in and sing anything from this album right out of the gate though.
Awake- 6:00 would be an obvious choice if not for having just recently been featured in the live sets. Maybe The Mirror?
FII- I don't think it'll be anything from this album, perhaps Peruvian Skies would work? It was a regular staple during the Portnoy years but not as much afterwards
SFAM- As others have said, either Overture 1928 or Home would be a great choice.
6DoiT- The Glass Prison would be another great choice
ToT- I could see them picking As I Am, but not the most likely or best pick
8VM- Maybe the least likely album to have the song come from. It won't be TRoaE because they're not gonna start halfway through the 12SS and it's not gonna be the title track for obvious reasons, and nothing else from this album would pop as an opener.
SC- I could see them going with Constant Motion, rocking song with Portnoy lyrics and some drum flair in the instrumental section
BC&SL- I can see the appeal of Nightmare, but I don't think they go that way after opening with it for some of Portnoy's last shows with the band. Especially since it was featured in DT setlists not that long ago.
Lastly, the first single from the new album will be an obvious option.

Photobucket sucks.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2023, 07:07:05 AM »
I'm thinking either Overture 1928/Strange Deja Vu or something from I&W. Feels weird to open with Metropolis though, in my mind that's always been a "2nd half of the set" song.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2023, 07:26:12 AM »
I think Home would be a cool choice for an opener. Portnoy made a post with that song on Facebook for obvious reasons. But I think probably will be TGP. About the setlist, I think we finally will hear The Best of Times live.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2023, 09:04:06 AM »
A Change of Seasons. Couldn't imagine a more impactful first live moment with MP.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2023, 01:33:55 PM »
Coming Home - Sons of Apollo
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."