Author Topic: Wolfking's Wonderful Winger roulette v.3 - Round 2 album listening commenced  (Read 39434 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Sounds like I need to have a go at that Manticora album.
It'll be kind of hilarious that Puppies and I recommending it to you didn't quite work, but Kade slagging it does.  :lol

It's not so much I'm not taking your/Chris' recommendation... I just have been pretty slow at getting around to all the albums/bands I want to check out from the roulette.  Manticora was on the list to explore.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
It'll be kind of hilarious that Puppies and I recommending it to you didn't quite work, but Kade slagging it does.  :lol

It's not so much I'm not taking your/Chris' recommendation... I just have been pretty slow at getting around to all the albums/bands I want to check out from the roulette.  Manticora was on the list to explore.
You might like the album, if you don't mind the occasional harsh vocals sprinkled throughout. I'd say it's no more than that Flaming Row album you love.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Sounds like I need to have a go at that Manticora album.

Don't have too high expectations with the DD debut album (Invisible, The Dead). It’s of the same vein as A World Awakens.

Don't get me wrong, the DD was still a really enjoyable listen.

And yes, I think the Manticora could be right up your alley.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
if what you've heard from wilderun is their more recent output that's probably why, i don't feel particularly strongly about anything they've put out before or after this one album :lol

Maybe that explains why they didn't click in the past.  Although I can't remember what I had heard.  Still, excellent album and keen to try some other stuff regardless.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Aha, so definitely a bit better result than the first round of exploration.  Ben Ellis certainly sounds like he was heavily inspired by Per's work, though with a somewhat more mechanical style I'd say.  They obviously hit it off working on that track, with Per having Ben join Scar Symmetry for the last album.  They're almost a bit too similar, I had difficulty telling them apart on some solos. 

Aha, there's an even bigger connection.  Makes total sense.  I'm with you though.  I'm pretty good at telling guitarists apart in most bands but I struggled with that SS album and trying to tell who played what.  I didn't even know Per had recruited another guitarist until I looked through the booklet!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I agree with everything you said about Autonoesis. That album is probably the best discovery from my last roulette.

I'm looking forward to listening to it again, cracking stuff.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
You might like the album, if you don't mind the occasional harsh vocals sprinkled throughout. I'd say it's no more than that Flaming Row album you love.

With the small amount of harsh vocals, I don't think Chad would find that a problem at all.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Aha, there's an even bigger connection.  Makes total sense.  I'm with you though.  I'm pretty good at telling guitarists apart in most bands but I struggled with that SS album and trying to tell who played what.  I didn't even know Per had recruited another guitarist until I looked through the booklet!

This is why I'm looking forward to seeing how the next SS album goes, because with Stephen Platt now being Per's counterpart, they're still at similar skill levels, but while Per has that more fluid, snakey, Holdsworthian style, Platt's is more precise and a bit neoclassical at times, so that should be a fun contrast.  On the early albums Kjellgren had a more straight-forward hard rock style, which also contrasted well at times, but at others felt like a high schooler trying to play with an NBA MVP. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2024, 05:18:47 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
This is why I'm looking forward to seeing how the next SS album goes, because with Stephen Platt now being Per's counterpart, they're still at similar skill levels, but while Per has that more fluid, snakey, Holdsworthian style, Ben's is more precise and a bit neoclassical at times, so that should be a fun contrast.  On the early albums Kjellgren had a more straight-forward hard rock style, which also contrasted well at times, but at others felt like a high schooler trying to play with an NBA MVP.

It was clear Kjellgren's style and technical ability was well below Per's, but I thought the contrast was perfect.  It's something I've missed from the band.  No matter how many times I revisit the latest album, it just doesn't do anything for me, unfortunately.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
For me it's almost purely about the vocals.  Karlsson is a solid enough substitute for the harshes, but Palmqvist's cleans are just so-so, whereas Alvestam was extraordinary.  I kind of wrote their newer material off for well over a decade, only giving cursory listens to the last couple albums.  The last one kind of reeled me back in though and I've finally accepted that he's gone.  "Xenotaph" in particular I consider an incredible track, especially with the video of Per breaking all the arrangement details down. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2024, 07:51:28 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I've watched a couple of Per's livestreams breaking down some solo sections.  Such a musical ear, brilliant.  I haven't checked the Xenotaph one though, will have to.

In terms of the vocals, I agree.  I liked their output up until Singularity 1.  Everything is decent.  Certainly no HU, but passable, but yeah, the vocals just don't live up to Alvestam, especially the cleans.