Author Topic: an obscure roulette and chat thread/ R9 results! Guess what!  (Read 99855 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: an obscure song roulette and chat thread...lol... R5 Album Review...
« Reply #665 on: March 12, 2012, 09:55:01 AM »
Cool, that song deserves it, such a powerful piece. 

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: an obscure song roulette and chat thread...lol... R5 Results are up!...
« Reply #666 on: March 13, 2012, 05:50:28 AM »
First off.... Special thanks for this round!

In no particular order:

1. Ytse   5.5   Axxess/Maxxess - Impact

Spider gave me one of those sparks which can potentially kindle a fire! He reviews the album in his very own unique and candid way and leaves you with a desire to check out the album right away and find out more about these guys.

2. JBoy  6+2    Star One - Victims of the Modern Age

Jboy did a great job of making a sensation with his very compelling write-up... On top of his view and the objective information about the album, he includes a glimpse into his own knowledge of the genre discussing comparisons with prog masterpieces. Considering the audience (in this instance, I) share these tastes, it is a good move that I appreciate like there is no tomorrow.
The review assesses the album in terms of its both technical aspects and content. Jboy tells us where the album stands for him as well as throwing in a wealth of information about it. I am very satisfied with this review of one of my fave albums… being an Arjen Lucassen fangirl I will just say excellent job!

3. Nek  6.3 Haken - Visions

Whoa... Are you only hanging out with musicians or something? I had to give him 6 as every word of this review went over my head J :P

Well the album is perfectly reviewed from the technical point of view .and the instrumentation is scrutinized to the bone. After reading this review, rather than running to music store to buy the album, you want to go and study music J
On a constructive comment, it could be perfect review if he provided me with a little more personal touch… why he chose to review this album for instance…. you know, emotional side of things… I believe the audience always likes to see some feelings floating around to relate to…
Overall, really good review… one of those, especially the professionals would love to read….

4. Kári  6   Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun

This review walks you through the whole album song by song mainly from a technical point of view. Another well thought-out, detailed, tasty and well-written review. Very good job! Will definitely help me appreciate PT more!

5. DTVT    3.7   Henning Pauly – Footsteps (!) :P

The busy scientist gave me a kind of a background of this concept album rather than a review… which can be found in the elusive google archives :P J The reason why I was generous with the pennies is the fact that he introduced me a hell of an album (soon-to-be-one-of-my-all-time-fave albums) and the main characters of it… Thus making me want to find out more.

6. King - 6 +2 Porcupine Tree In Absentia – 2002

King starts his review with a personal touch instantly immersing you with promises of a good read. It ultimately gives an assessment both music-wise and lyric-wise... King credits where credit's due by mentioning Steven Wilson and Gavin Harrison after discussing the musical elements and then wraps it up nicely with his overall, personal view. There even is a rating! A very professional and proper review worthy of dead tree magazines.

7. Rich   6.3   Evergrey -The Inner Circle

Another well organised, almost professional review. Rich identifies where the album stands in the metal scene giving the reader a pretty good idea as to what they are in for. Even if you know squat about the band, after reading the review you'd have an idea as to whether this album is for you or not. Finally, after reading his insight into the last track, independent of whether you already know the song or not , you just want to run and listen to the song immediately. Pretty neat job!

8. Web raider 5.6– Protest the Hero - Scurrilous [2011]

This is more of a freestyle review which makes you hear the album for sure. It's a good one overall although I found the author's subjective – negative view of the growls (hehe I love growls J ) a bit of a down point j/k .. Nice read!

9. Zantera – 6.3 Pure Reason Revolution The Dark Third

Zantera uses comparisons and examples from time to time. He talks about references used in the albums which is a nice touch! There also is some information about the band. In a few words, the review gives you a nice package of information both about the album and the band. Very neat!

10. boy_floyd   6.2   Mastodon - Leviathan

My general observation of this round is that those who nagged the most performed better :P... I know how that translates… it just shows that you care…. Floyd was one of the last ones to submit and and I know starting off gave him the hell… But once this boy starts, he's a rock star… You are guaranteed to get one of those unique, vocab-rich, super fun and super funny write-ups we all know from the forums.
floyd was very poetic in his description of how he met Mastodon (whom I love, as you might know), then this album and how the songs moved him... I've always loved reviewers with unique styles...

You know those reviews, where you can actually tell that the author is wearing his serious face the whole way? The dead serious ones that look like a scientific review? WTH man! I hate them… (oops that was an overstatement .. oh well)  There is science to it but music is more about the soul, the feelings... There has to be a way to convey your feelings and understanding of the album in a witty or entertaining (or at least stylish) way, right?

floyd's review was not one of those….it wasn't one of those you would readily see in a magazine, but in music blogs.... It was hilarious yet professional and clever. Awesome work! Good job!

Finally the two stars of this round: lonestar and yorost-ar :neverusethis:   I know I know  :lol

11. Lonestar    6+2+1   IQ – Frequency

Holy supreme literacy Batman!!!

I could have just said “all of the best practices I listed above" and left it at that...

Each line is very deep and almost geeky in the way it plays with the subject in such a manner that you can tell there is delight in doing so. After reading it, the passion, flow, technical grasp and depth of the review makes you want to go out there, find everyone involved in making of the album and kiss them on their cheeks. Heroes behind the masterpiece, Martin Orford, Peter Nichols, Mike Holmes are all properly credited and praised.

The review goes into great detail about every subtle thing IQ made use of without boring you. It has so much fun depth, I am pretty sure I still have missed some of the stuff in there after two rereads but I gained more insight into their technique each time around.

Even though it is a lot more verbose than the usual reviews, read each and every word with great interest. I don't know what they would do if they were aware that there was someone out there who understood the band this much.

I can picture him chewing at the end of his pencil, thinking out every aspect of this album…

12.Yorost    6,3 +2+1   Dead Soul Tribe - The January Tree :clap:

I’m impressed!!!! the weekend with cute little one must have brought good fortune!

Yorost starts off by giving you a broad and general idea about the album and where it sits among all other DST albums then breaks it down into items in a very professional and flowing manner. Then he looks at the album from all angles that a regular music reader would look for in a review. It's so well organised that after one reading you're doomed to remember a lot of things and when you come back to see one particular aspect, you know exactly where to look.

He gives you both the technical bits and a general feel of the album without overcrowding the mix. It wouldn't be an exaggeration if I said that reading through this review was as tasty as listening to the album itself… as it's written in a musical way… after reading the whole thing you are compelled to check out everything these guys have done so far…. nice composition Yorost! Way to go !

I haven’t got Dark Castle’s or Elite’s …I have waited for two more days but still nothing. Mike’s deadline has been extended as I mentioned earlier….I will rate them as they come, but won’t review as I'm done with this round now....

also a gentle reminder:

I won't post the album reviews but just the name of the artist and the album reviewed... If you want to share your review please go ahead and post it after the results are announced... or if you're interested in one particular album review, please ask one another to send it along .... Thank you

I'll post the ranking and the way forward tonight....

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #667 on: March 13, 2012, 06:31:08 AM »
 :D

As for the personal touch, I'm sure my review started with "This is the best prog metal album since SDOIT". I think that pretty much describes my feeling towards it.

Also, look at the number of posts in your roulette after the results for round 5

When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #668 on: March 13, 2012, 06:33:28 AM »
It was just my humble opinion hun, hope you take it the positive way... A score of 6.3 must give you an idea what I thought of it I guess  ;)

and regarding the number of posts  :lol   :lol   :lol  I know

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #669 on: March 13, 2012, 07:07:36 AM »
Well, I can certainly see why my feelings towards that album were not clear enough and in no way I'm complaining about getting a 6.3. I'm really happy you liked the review  :)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #670 on: March 13, 2012, 07:27:20 AM »
I thought you said we were being graded more on the album than the review.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #671 on: March 13, 2012, 07:29:36 AM »
I couldn't understand whether you're asking me a question or someone else.... but I didn't say "more"...  but they were both taken into account.. That's why you got 3.7

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #672 on: March 13, 2012, 07:32:24 AM »
Glad you liked it.  Funny thing is I must have listened to the album twenty times when writing it, and now I can't stop, the thing owns me.  It used to be in the middle of the pack for me as far as IQ albums go, but now I have it up top with Ever.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #673 on: March 13, 2012, 07:33:47 AM »
I loved it.. enjoy spending your well deserved pennies!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #674 on: March 13, 2012, 07:41:52 AM »
Hopefully the penny goes a bit further in the underworld of your roulette than it does here in the Bay Area.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #675 on: March 13, 2012, 07:43:46 AM »
Nem, I'm coming around on the growls ;) ... which I guess is why I should have noted that that particular album is a good starting point for me because it ( like Crack The Skye and Mastodon) helped me get into more music with some harsher vocals. 

I just didn't do a good enough job explaining the fact that the melodic side being balanced very well with the growls is a good selling point to the album (at least for me).

Thanks for taking the time to read my jumbled review :)

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #676 on: March 13, 2012, 07:50:52 AM »
:caffeine: Thanks! :caffeine:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #677 on: March 13, 2012, 07:56:17 AM »
I was going for a professional feel to it.  Glad you caught that Nem!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #678 on: March 13, 2012, 08:01:11 AM »
Yes Joe, it was coming through all the way...

Web, thanks for keeping up the good work from the very beginning... I benefited greatly...

yorost, I'm lost for words!!!

well again... this was a pretty challenging round.. you guys did an amazing job... and I'm not taking the effort for granted... Thanks a bunch!

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #679 on: March 13, 2012, 08:09:15 AM »

Honourable mention,

Cyclops  :metal   Psychotic Waltz -  A Social Grace

Cyclops, even though he later on left the game, had sent me his review some time ago. I would like to mention his review since it was awesome...

It was a flowing, professional and a very tasty review which made me eat... erm... read it again just for the aftertaste... The review was not overwhelming you with technical side of it but utilising just the necessary amount of musical knowledge making you understand that the author knew what he was talking about...

If you have a blog or something I let me know so I can follow it.

This review would have got a 6 +2 +1!

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #680 on: March 13, 2012, 08:15:21 AM »
Psychotic Waltz! :tup  ...I'm going to be mighty sad if that reunion album doesn't happen!

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #681 on: March 13, 2012, 08:17:27 AM »
oh that reminds me....it was really nice to read two reviews about Devon Graves’s work… I loved it....

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #682 on: March 13, 2012, 08:17:39 AM »
Well, that's high praise, even if I totally misread the rules stating that it should be a 'review of an album released in the last decade' (which this one clearly wasn't)  :facepalm: (plus the fact that 'Bleeding' (1996) is probably technically and production-wise their better album)

Just hope I pointed you towards some interesting music. Thanks Nem, hope you have a lot of fun with the game!  :heart
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #683 on: March 13, 2012, 08:19:24 AM »
I'm still yet to finish listening the songs you sent me... appreciate your time my dear... and thanks for the good wishes :)

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #684 on: March 13, 2012, 08:23:12 AM »
Well, that's high praise, even if I totally misread the rules stating that it should be a 'review of an album released in the last decade' (which this one clearly wasn't)  :facepalm: (plus the fact that 'Bleeding' (1996) is probably technically and production-wise their better album)
Nothing wrong with the album, though!  I think Bleeding and A Social Grace are pretty close, but my personal favourite is Into the Everflow.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #685 on: March 13, 2012, 08:48:41 AM »
So I think I'm going out on a limb for the next round Nem all in the name of exploring new music.  They a a rock band that can be heavy, can be melodic and not heavy at times and have a groove to them.  I will work tonight on picking a few songs for you to listen too.

BTW, they backed up DT on a tour.  *Hint*
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #686 on: March 13, 2012, 08:52:25 AM »
I'm intrigued!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #687 on: March 13, 2012, 11:11:54 AM »
I did say earlier in this thread that I have virtually no time to write a (good) review, but I suppose that got lost in the madness that is this thread. I don't really want to send you two sentences, but actually deliver something good, which is why you haven't had anything from me yet.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #688 on: March 13, 2012, 11:28:02 AM »
no problem Elite... just send it when you're ready.. I trust that will be some reasonable time....others know their own results so nobody should grow impatience.....

edit: spelling only... I haven't changed a 'she' to a 'you' or anything :p

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #689 on: March 13, 2012, 01:15:38 PM »
Tentative Results

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #690 on: March 13, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »
Alright!  I'm better than average sexy!! :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: March 13, 2012, 04:38:28 PM »
Aaaaaannnd  SENT for round 6!!  Check your PM!!

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #692 on: March 13, 2012, 08:06:52 PM »
 :tup

So... just a gentle reminder....

The last (almost) two days for R6 submissions!

Tomorrow I'll set the R7 up....

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #693 on: March 13, 2012, 08:26:45 PM »
I think I already submitted right?
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #694 on: March 13, 2012, 08:27:30 PM »
You have hun.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #695 on: March 14, 2012, 03:02:26 AM »
Round 6 was the band-round right? Like, send how many songs I want?  :biggrin:

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #696 on: March 14, 2012, 03:05:52 AM »
Spot on!
looking forward to them :)

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #697 on: March 14, 2012, 05:30:34 AM »
I'm last :(

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: March 14, 2012, 05:35:29 AM »
We don't know yet... There are 3 other players that haven't sent their reviews...  and 3 other rounds.... let's hope that they screw it up :)

:hug:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #699 on: March 14, 2012, 05:57:20 AM »
Had to check my email to see what I sent.  :P I'm staying with that band