Author Topic: I am the Evil Top 50  (Read 7090 times)

Offline iamtheeviltwin

I am the Evil Top 50
« on: January 16, 2013, 12:58:42 PM »
Looks like it is my turn to do a top 50 list.  As much as I am enjoying senecadawg's unique list, I am afraid mine will be a bit more pedestrian than that.  I actually put this list together about 6 months ago and I haven't revisited it since.  I am sure that if I went through and rebuilt it some things would move and change, but after reviewing my list I am comfortable with the song placements and my feelings.

As for the actual method I used to rank my top 50 DT songs, I went through their complete catalog (including all the unreleased and b-sides I could find) and listened to it several times over the course of a few weeks to refresh my memory and to get passingly familiar with some of the band's rare cuts.  Then I sat down over the course of several days and listened again with a more critical ear and rated the songs.  Finally, I listened through my top 50(ish) again to do my write-ups and make any final adjustments.

I had considered several methods of song rating and finally decided on what I have called the "Food Network" style of rating.  If you ever watch competition shows on the Food Network (like Iron Chef) they use three categories to judge food, Plating, Originality, and Taste.  They use those three basic categories to rate the food and then combined those scores into a final score.  I liked the idea of rating songs on several different metrics.  So I took the idea and broke it down as follows:

"Plating" (1-5): I look at Plating as being the presentation of the song, how appealing it is to listen to and experience.  This includes things like song structure, instrumentation, mix, etc.  anything that enhances or detracts from the auditory appeal of the song.

"Originality" (1-5): Originality was a harder concept to judge.  I tried to judge a song's "originality" against not only music as a whole, but also Dream Theater's catalog in general.  Items that make a song original could include time signatures, creative use of samples, etc.

"Taste" (1-10): Unlike a real food or music critic, presentation and originality can only take art so far in my mind.  To me Taste, or how satisfied I am after the song is over, is the most important category.  Taste to me was far more subjective, but in the end I listen to music I like and that leaves me happy in the end.

Combined, I averaged out these scores to get a rating from 0-10.  In the long run there were quite a few songs that had the same scores.  Usually, I rated songs that "Tasted" better higher than ones that scored better on the technical aspects.  Being a rabid Dream Theater fan my overall scores were probably higher than a non-fan or more critical person would rate them (the average score was 8.18 and the median was 8.5), but its my list and my scores.  :D 

I had a pile of songs that clocked in at 8.5 and had to cull those down to start the list, as a teaser I am presenting my "almost-rans" to wet your whistle and will put up the first 5 shortly.

The 51s:
This is the Life
Far From Heaven
The Silent Man
Surrounded
Through Her Eyes

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: I am the Evil Top 50
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 01:01:09 PM »
You are the archetype thorough DT fan :tup definitely following.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 01:05:10 PM »
I really like your approach, and as I am myself a bit of a ratings freak, I hope you won't be offended if I were to draw inspiration from your methods when the time for me to start my own list comes  :)

I'll be following this, of course!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 01:09:37 PM »
Following. All of these deserve a mention.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 02:04:50 PM »
@Wasteland - feel free to take it and use it how you will.  I thought my method might be interesting to some around here which is why I detailed it out.  Of course, the rating system might be more interesting than the list :P

After that rather wordy intro, some of my song write-ups seem quite short.  :)

50 - Vacant
  • Final Score: 8.50
  • Plating: 5
  • Originality: 3
  • Taste: 9.0
Deep Thoughts:
From the opening string and piano section, this song is a musical break on the heavy Train of Thought album giving it special emphasis that grants it the spotlight the song deserves.  James' breathy lyrics convey the emotion and heaviness of this short ballad.  Deeply personal lyrics often lift songs up and this one is no exception.

49 - Wait for Sleep
Deep Thoughts:
I am a huge fan of the shorter lyric and emotion driven songs in the Dream Theater catalog.  This was one of three songs from my first listen of Images and Words that just demanded my attention.  From the first listen the lyrical imagery was clear to me and it touched on some deep emotions.

48 - Anna Lee
Deep Thoughts:
Third ballad in a row among the many on my list...you might think I like them or something.  This song features two things that Dream Theater has been able to combine powerfully since James LaBrie took the reigns as vocalist, a virtuoso keyboardist playing beautiful piano melodies combined with the full emotional impact of James' voice.  The song is tight and features a nice extended solo by Petrucci that doesn't wander and acts as the perfect bridge for the piece which is otherwise pretty "mainstream".

47 - You Not Me
  • Plating: 4
  • Originality: 4
Deep Thoughts:
This will probably be one of several "controversial" choices on my list.  This song is another in an under appreciated vein that Dream Theater is strong at; making catchy, poppy tunes with good vocal hooks and choruses.  I learned the history of the song long after I bought the album and have listened to both versions.  I feel like the transformation of this song vastly improved on the original.  While I liked the heavy bass groove of You or Me, the song structure and chorus make You not Me much tighter than the original.  Most of the instrumental sections were maintained in the final mix and gives this pop song some prog cred.  Lyrically, this song speaks to me which is why it has made it onto my top 50. 

46 - One Last Time

Deep Thoughts:
As I listened through the bottom selections of my top 50, it struck me how much I love it when the Dream Theater keyboardists break out the piano.  While this song is the first of many from Scenes From A Memory and is "just" a bridge for the story, I enjoy the musical elements within it.  The piano, vocal harmonies, and instrumental break all work to make this short piece stand well on its' own apart from the larger work.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 02:09:34 PM »
Great songs.

Aside of the obvious one, though I actually relistened yesterday and I liked it more than I thought I would. Still, I'd place it at or near the bottom of DT's discography and definitely not in the Top 50.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 02:28:47 PM »
Interesting start. I like that you have You Not Me in there. :)
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 02:47:39 PM »
Very nice beginning to the list! I also like You Not Me (and Raw Dog, for that matter) more than the average DT fan.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 02:52:20 PM »
I'm excited to follow! Very interesting to see that Surrounded didn't make your top 50, and You Not Me did.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 02:55:05 PM »
I'm excited to follow! Very interesting to see that Surrounded didn't make your top 50, and You Not Me did.

Interesting, but not very pleasant to read  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 02:59:07 PM »
Yeah, I definitely don't agree with those rankings. Personally (spoilers!), neither would make my list.

Offline Glass Moonlight

• You can ride the red until everybody smiles
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 06:14:35 PM »
Neat, I can't believe Surrounded isn't there but You Not Me is, however I do enjoy both songs. Can't wait to see what's next.
When someone says my heart needs lifting
Don't ask how come, ask how high!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 07:37:11 PM »
Coincidence that they're mostly all ballads? :lol

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 07:42:50 PM »
Cool idea, good start!

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 07:44:47 PM »
For being the lowest-scoring songs on your list, these songs have some pretty damn high scores.

Offline chaotic_ripper

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 08:04:54 PM »
I love lists that are not the "average" picks. Excited and following!

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 10:44:14 AM »
@blob - pretty sure I mentioned I like ballads :)
@theseoafs - admitted DT fanboy...so of course my scores are higher than normal.  I had started to go through and do this again with a bit more refinement on my ratings, but that attempt got drowned out by the holidays.

45 - Fatal Tragedy
Deep Thoughts:
This second selection from Scenes From A Memory opens with the piano and LaBrie vocals I have come to realize I enjoy so much, and then lead into what is one of the most entertaining lyrical pieces on the album.  While it is not as poetic as Myung's other lyrical efforts, it was written in such a way to propel the story of the album and delivers it in a clear manner without being too literal or dry (like parts of Count of Tuscany for example).  This song has a good instrumental bridge that shows off the back and forth play between Petrucci and Rudess that was fresh here, but has perhaps become a bit overused later in the catalog.

44 - The Answer Lies Within
Deep Thoughts:
My top four albums in the Dream Theater catalog are A Dramatic Turn Of Events, Awake, Scenes From A Memory, and Octavarium.  The first song on my list from Octavarium captures the balladic elements from Dream Theater that I really enjoy.  Strong keyboard work, clear emotional lyrics, breathy LaBrie vocals, instrumental work that doesn't crowd out or overshadow the song, and a tight song structure.

43 - I Walk Beside You
Deep Thoughts:
My second choice from Octavarium falls into that "poppy prog" sound that many Dream Theater fans seem to dislike.  The strengths of this song are the upbeat and positive lyrics and the LaBrie delivery of the vocal melody.  This is a song I have always put on to lift my spirits and it is a nice tune for the non-prog lover in your life.

42 - Beyond This Life
  • Final Score: 8.75
  • Originality: 5
  • Taste: 8.5
Deep Thoughts:
This song is the first on my list to feature more familiar elements of the "Dream Theater" sound.  While perhaps not a full on prog metal signature work, the opening metal riff backed by the complex keyboard work give the song drive which is punctuated by the softer and slower "Our Deeds have traveled far" section and then thrown back in your face when the song drives forward again.  One of the few things I dislike about the song and kept it from ranking higher on my list was Jordan's odd choice of the Brass patch he uses in the bridge.  It sounds like it was taken straight from an old Casio keyboard and impedes the flow of an otherwise great instrumental segment.  That patch selection was one of the most memorable and jarring take aways from my first listen of Scenes and distracted from the rest of the album.

41 - Overture 1928

Deep Thoughts:
Instrumentals are one of the things that I have always loved about Dream Theater so I was mildly surprised as I compiled this list that only two made into my top 50.  While shorter than many of their other instrumental pieces, it serves the purpose of any good opening to a symphony or theatrical score, binding and teasing at all of the ideas that will be present in the course of your journey through Scenes.  It was also my (and I suspect many fan's) first introduction to Jordan as the new keyboardist and gave a glimpse of how he was changing Dream Theater's sound.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 10:48:53 AM »
You Not Me sighting! That song is so underrated! It doesn't make me top 50 by now, but isn't very far from it.

Nice to see The Answer Lies Within too. It doesn't deserve all the bad rap.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 10:50:30 AM »
Great update aside from The Answer Lies Within.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 03:23:44 PM »
3 SFAM songs in one update  :omg: And all so low!?

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 06:22:29 PM »
It's good to see TALW and IWBY get some recognition. :tup
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 07:27:25 PM »
^ Totally.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 11:24:04 PM »
One of the few things I dislike about the song and kept it from ranking higher on my list was Jordan's odd choice of the Brass patch he uses in the bridge.  It sounds like it was taken straight from an old Casio keyboard and impedes the flow of an otherwise great instrumental segment.  That patch selection was one of the most memorable and jarring take aways from my first listen of Scenes and distracted from the rest of the album.

It's one thing not to like that patch, I've heard that opinion multiple times on this forum (although I'll never understand it), but it sounds nothing like an old Casio. It's clearly a high quality, warm sounding patch (as far as digital keyboards go), with about a dozen different sounds incorporated in it.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 11:41:13 PM »
Great list so far, following.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 03:36:55 AM »
BTL  :metal

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2013, 09:00:12 AM »
One of the few things I dislike about the song and kept it from ranking higher on my list was Jordan's odd choice of the Brass patch he uses in the bridge.  It sounds like it was taken straight from an old Casio keyboard and impedes the flow of an otherwise great instrumental segment.  That patch selection was one of the most memorable and jarring take aways from my first listen of Scenes and distracted from the rest of the album.

It's one thing not to like that patch, I've heard that opinion multiple times on this forum (although I'll never understand it), but it sounds nothing like an old Casio. It's clearly a high quality, warm sounding patch (as far as digital keyboards go), with about a dozen different sounds incorporated in it.

It's really not all that high quality a patch.  There were much better brass patches with more depth, warmth, and over and under tones available when the album was recorded.  That brass patch is thin and has none of the fullness of a real brass sound, which is why I compare it to a cheap brass patch from am old Casio keyboard.  The best you can say for the patch is that it has multiple "instruments" playing harmonic simultaneously, but those multiple voices are still the same thin tones as the main voice.    I usually don't have problems with Jordan's patches, but this one was truly lacking.  Compare it with the fuller brass sounds from the Six Degrees overture and it is apparent how poor it is.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 09:12:33 AM »
Cheap or not, that brass patch sounds awful :puke:

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 09:28:23 AM »
40 - Repentance
Deep Thoughts:
This portion of the twelve-step suite garners more divided opinions than most of the other pieces in the suite.  There are several things about the song that makes it stand out from the rest.  When the songs are taken as a whole suite, this song is the soft respite from the hard drive and aggression of the rest of the suite.  This combined with the lyrical content, which stands on its' own in a way some of the other songs in the suite do not, creates a powerful song that I find connects to me.  The act of confession and seeking forgiveness for those you have wronged is well conveyed in the samples and spoken word ending.

39 - The Count of Tuscany
Deep Thoughts:
The opening notes of this 20 minute epic lead you to believe something special about to happen, and for the most part that is true.  Many have complained about the nature of the lyrics, but as a literal story telling device that portrays the story being told clearly, I feel they work well with the song.  The problem lies more often with the delivery of the lyrics, "My Brutha, Historian..." for example.  I like the twist both musically and lyrically in the song.  The feeling of being in a dangerous situation contrasted with the realization those fears were unfounded.  The Vangelis-like transition in the middle of the song is one of the loveliest sections of music Dream Theater has done.  While a strong entry into the list of epics in the band's catalog the problems with it prevent it from reaching the height of the better epic length songs.

38 - Raise the Knife
Deep Thoughts:
I became familiar with this song after buying the Score album, and it was "the best song Dream Theater song I'd never heard".  The musical elements blended well with the catchy chorus and LaBrie's delivery on Score was excellent (as was his vocal performance on the entire album).  Although I have several songs with Portnoy penned lyrics rated above Raise The Knife, this is one of his stronger lyrical efforts.  This is one of the few unreleased tracks I would love to have seen make it onto an album and it makes a good addition the the Dream Theater catalog.

37 - Build Me, Break Me Down
  • Taste: 9.5
Deep Thoughts:
This poppy song caught my attention the first time I listened through A Dramatic Turn Of Events.  The electronic drums that open the piece, the traditional song structure, combined with a catchy chorus and driving rhythm make this song stand out.  The lyrics are some of the best on an album which has many good lyrical moments.  Some of the musical depth in this song belies the pop structure and catch your ear, such as the "screeching" background vocals and the orchestral hits that punctuate the chorus.

36 - Prophets of War

Deep Thoughts:
Another song in my top 50 that seems to be disliked by many in the wider community.  The political lyrics stood out the first time I listened to this song, along with the entertaining word play on the prophet.  I love the Queen-like vibe of the background vocals and like the crowd chants.  The many non-Dream Theater-like parts of this song are what make it, and several other songs on my list, interesting to me and I love it when the band experiments with different sounds.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 09:34:41 AM »
Screw haters, Prophets of War is one of my favourite DT songs written in 00s.

Repentance is another song I find extremely underrated.

Build Me Up, Break Me Down is my least-favourite DT song, so I have very divided opinions towards this batch.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 09:45:06 AM »
I'm surprised to see Repentance and POW get such high ratings for originality - they're not the most typical DT songs, but have notable influences from certain bands (you know which ones!).

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2013, 09:47:55 AM »
Not that my ratings are completely standardized, but often originality was weighed against other DT songs.  Both are a step outside of the DT wheel-house so that is why I gave them that rating (or at least that is my justification now long after I finished my list :P

Plus honestly, I have never listened to some bands like Muse who is often quoted as inspiration for some of these oft-hated songs.  My references tend to be more classic rock, heavy metal and hard rock based.  I don't even listen to many other prog bands besides DT.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2013, 02:53:00 PM »
Only The Glass Prison is above Repentance IMO.  I really don't understand all of the hate it gets - there's so much power behind its "softness".  Plus... it makes me cry on a pretty regular basis.  I'm not an addict, but I do understand the need to ask people for forgiveness.

There's a specific thread at The Purple Place that was started based upon the song - we basically asked people in our lives for forgiveness for whatever we felt our transgressions were.  I remember two things about that thread - Gravy bringing up that an apology in person was much more powerful than just posting in a thread and my post making me sob for about 10-15 minutes after I'd posted it.

:'(

But anyhoo - Repentance will ALWAYS be special to me.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 04:59:05 PM by DebraKadabra »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2013, 11:01:30 PM »
RTK is average, BMUBMD and PoW aren't very good, Repentance is ok, but drawn out. That leaves TCOT as about the only song that I'd put in my top 50. :lol

And 8.75 is a really high score for songs this low.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2013, 05:11:30 PM »
The Count of Tuscany and Raise the Knife are great, the others not so much.

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2013, 08:51:49 AM »
@DebraKadabra - Thanks for the story about Repentance.  There are a number of songs on my list that are here because of similar emotional attachments to the lyrics.

35 - Endless Sacrifice
Deep Thoughts:
A love song for anyone who has had to make sacrifices in personal relationships to achieve goals in their life.  This song took on a special meaning for me over the past couple of years when I was separated from my family so that I could find work and my wife and son stayed in our home town so that he could finish his last year of high school.  The music drives this song and compliments the lyrical punch.  The only thing keeping this song out of my top-20 is the musical breakdown in the middle of the song (the two minutes or so after the 5:30 mark) which includes a gratuitous solo section take what could have been a tight 8-9 minute masterpiece and drag it into a bloated 10+ minute song.

34 - The Great Debate
Deep Thoughts:
The first blatantly political song by Dream Theater that I remember hearing.  It jumped out and grabbed my attention the first time I listened to Six Degrees.  The long intro with the competing views piped in the left and right speakers combine with the lyrics that combine both sides of the issue do a nice job of setting the stage.  Underneath this marvelous topping is a complex bed of music that compliment the song and allow the lyrics to stand out, but the music remains interesting on its' own.  This 13 - 14 minute song doesn't have a wasted moment, something that many of the band's later epic length material swims in to the detriment of the listener.

33 - Space Dye-Vest
Deep Thoughts:
Kevin Moore's swan song with Dream Theater combines many elements I love.  It steps away from the standard musical formula for the band, it features a memorable piano melody, and is full of breathy LaBrie goodness.  This softer song was a strong closing track for what was a heavy album.  It is a shame that Dream Theater hasn't pulled this out for an official concert, the recent Rudess/LaBrie performance was nice to hear and showed that the song would be great to hear live.  While the odd vocal samples often lend to the beautiful atmosphere of this song, they sometimes step in the way of what is a marvelous piece of music ("In Houston they say that?").

32 - Pull Me Under
Deep Thoughts:
What to say about this song?  It was the first Dream Theater song that I had heard and it hooked me from the opening notes.  I was never a metal head during the 80s, but I was and still am a fan of the great rock and metal from the late 60s and early to mid 70s.  It was clear from the intro of the song that these Dream Theater guys were not run of the mill metal dudes.  They had composed a piece of music that was "epic".  It took you on a grand tour filled with metal and keyboards and complex music.  The dramatic ending just made the song more interesting and led to occasional laughs on the radio as a DJ was caught unprepared.  Needless to say Images & Words was in my possession shortly after my first listen.  Pull Me Under has slowly faded down my list over time, but I still feel like it is the bedrock of the Dream Theater catalog that has all the elements of their signature sound and is a true classic.

31 - The Root of All Evil

Deep Thoughts:
The opening drum beats that lead into the crunchy riff made the first track on Octavarium grab you and drag you into the album.  Probably the most "straight-forward" metal track in the AA suite it stands out from the others in much the same way as Repentance does; by being unique musically with straight forward music and clear lyrics.  The lyrics stand well on their own outside the suite and fit well with the aggressive drive of the song.  The Root Of All Evil is also a tighter song than some of the other tracks in the suite with no wasted space which elevates it above what are otherwise great tracks.